Mistr stays on track

th?id=OIP.gLg7txI685U1gQdR3Irt_AHaHh%26p

This gives a good feel of the track I'm on. 

I am continuing with the musubi theme that has been working for me this year. Adapt to circumstances and deal with things in a way to make them end better than they started.

Goals:

1. Sleep continues to be my top priority. I make much better decisions and am a much nicer person when I get enough sleep. 
  2. Down time. I have been pushing myself to the limit a lot of the time. Some of my sleep problems are due to Revenge Bedtime Procrastination. My life will be better if I allow myself time to do fun, creative and relaxing things.
  3. Some zen every day. Ten minutes a day is fine. More is also fine. My zen teacher says that continuity is important. Maybe I will see something shift if I am more consistent. It will certainly be a more comfortable conversation with my teacher the next time I go to a zen group session.
  4. Some exercise most days. I have not been able to stick to a regular schedule. That is okay. I can do walking, aikido, yoga, core exercise, rowing and strength training as they fit in my daily schedule. I can even take a day off here and there. 

All the other projects can happen when I have energy for them. I will not be bored. :D 

• Like 9

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Sounds excellent! Here to cheer you on! 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Mistr said:
  • Sleep continues to be my top priority. I make much better decisions and am a much nicer person when I get enough sleep. 
  •  

Same here! and so happy I found you at the beginning o the challenge this time :D 

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

ome zen every day. Ten minutes a day is fine. More is also fine. My zen teacher says that continuity is important.

I agree with your Zen teacher.

I also think one minute right now is better than ten minutes later. 

I hear you on the down-time thing. I also think that the lack of down time and sleep and revenge  bedtime procrastination are all sort of wrapped up in the conditions which lead to pushing yourself to the limit. My acupuncturist used to tell me that 80% of max should be the max, and that I really needed to not run at 80% of the max if I could find a way not to.  This sounds so simple when I write it, but I assure you, it was not. :)  I'm sorry you're in a space where running at the full limit makes sense. Here to cheer you as you find more even ground.

❤️ 

• Like 5

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Revenge on whom 😛 Yeah, consistency is probably why I haven't made much progress in anything. Where does it come from? How do we hold it and keep it from getting away? Where does it go? Oh, consistency.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 10/19/2023 at 2:14 PM, Mistr said:

Revenge Bedtime Procrastination

What kind of unholy terror sub-species is this??? Is this a new mutation of some kind? 

Screaming Bad Hair Day GIF by HelloGiggles

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

I had a lovely weekend. The autumn colors were at their peak which made the drive time much more enjoyable.

I got to visit my mom, have lunch with an old friend, go to the birthday party for my grad school roommate and go a concert. I also stopped by Ikea and got another bookshelf for the newly remodeled bedroom. It was nice to be able to take my time and do things on my own schedule. Dumbledore and I travel well together, but that takes a fair bit of communication and compromise.

Sleep was good. I went for a walk on Friday and did yoga Saturday and Sunday. I skipped zen on Saturday night because it was getting late and I wanted to go to sleep. No regrets.

I got home early enough on Sunday afternoon to do two loads of laundry, take some down time and wash a full sink of dishes. Overall it was a very successful weekend.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:04 PM, Scaly Freak said:

What kind of unholy terror sub-species is this??? Is this a new mutation of some kind? 

Sadly, this is a well-known demon. It causes havoc when a person has been dutiful all day but not had any time for fun. It says "you deserve to have some time for yourself, never mind that it is already your bed time".

I also struggle with its nameless sibling who says "you have had to put up with all this annoying crap, the least you can do is have a treat to feel better". 

I am hoping that with more sleep and exercise, I will have more energy and make better choice to avoid both of these insidious forces.

---------------

In family news, Elf has been helping out Cleo quite a bit. Some of the time they are staying over at Cleo's, since we said she could not stay over at our place. Dumbledore and I are fine with this. Elf is getting to see how other people live in apartments. They see what things are like in a small town. We get the house to ourselves some of the time, which is lovely. 💓. You wouldn't think that a young person who spends all their time in their room would take that much mental space, but you'd be wrong. Elf seems to still be moving forward on their own stuff, but they are not talking with us like they were when Cleo was out of the picture.

Cleo seems to be making some progress. She is starting work at a fast-food place near where she is staying. She can transfer to another location later if she saves up enough money to get a place in town. This is a promising development. I can't help but observe that we have an outlet of that fast-food chain two blocks away. She could have gotten a job at any time if she had been willing to settle. I am sure she can do better than fast food work, now that she has more motivation.

• Like 8

Level 75  Viking paladin

I think it's a good development that you are not longer part of this, I mean that the drama doesn't take place at your home anymore. And congrats on having the place to yourself! 

Now Cleo is on her own, so she must work to survive. I guess when she could lean on you, it wasn't a must, so she didn't try it. 

I am sure Elf will be talking to you like they used to later on, you have such a good relationship. Maybe now they just prefer to keep some stuff to themselves. We also didn't tell like everything to our parents, right? xD 

• Like 4

Veni, vidi, vici. 

16 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

We also didn't tell like everything to our parents, right? xD 

Last time I reminded one of my siblings of this, I was told that this isn't as comforting as it sounds.... 🤔

(And no, we absolutely didn't. For obvious reasons. :D )

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

On 10/24/2023 at 9:52 PM, Mistr said:

I also struggle with its nameless sibling who says "you have had to put up with all this annoying crap, the least you can do is have a treat to feel better". 

I am infested with this demon, too. But there are infinite reasons why I should have a treat. Always, the treat. I need to figure out how to reset my entire brain to feel content all the time, instead of having a baselines of sad treatlessness that is only temporarily relieved by treats. 

On 10/24/2023 at 9:52 PM, Mistr said:

In family news, Elf has been helping out Cleo quite a bit. Some of the time they are staying over at Cleo's, since we said she could not stay over at our place. Dumbledore and I are fine with this. Elf is getting to see how other people live in apartments. They see what things are like in a small town. We get the house to ourselves some of the time, which is lovely. 💓. You wouldn't think that a young person who spends all their time in their room would take that much mental space, but you'd be wrong. Elf seems to still be moving forward on their own stuff, but they are not talking with us like they were when Cleo was out of the picture.

Cleo seems to be making some progress. She is starting work at a fast-food place near where she is staying. She can transfer to another location later if she saves up enough money to get a place in town. This is a promising development. I can't help but observe that we have an outlet of that fast-food chain two blocks away. She could have gotten a job at any time if she had been willing to settle. I am sure she can do better than fast food work, now that she has more motivation.

It sounds like they both have the wherewithal to make progress under their own steam. That's promising. And a fast food job is not the nicest, but it's fine to have some security and start saving while she looks for something else, I guess. I remember working at subway. The worst part was the lunch rush. And no one really taught me how to operate the cash register. But other than that, it was okay. Except for the distinctive subway smell which permeated my hair afterwards. 

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 10/25/2023 at 1:58 AM, Jackdaw said:

I am sure Elf will be talking to you like they used to later on, you have such a good relationship. Maybe now they just prefer to keep some stuff to themselves. We also didn't tell like everything to our parents, right? xD 

17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Last time I reminded one of my siblings of this, I was told that this isn't as comforting as it sounds.... 🤔

(And no, we absolutely didn't. For obvious reasons. :D )

Yes, Dumbledore and I have discussed this. I hope my parents never heard about most of the stupid things I did in my late 20s. 

I fully expect Elf to have drama in their life and make mistakes over the next several years. They should be trying things out and failing part of the time to figure out what path is right for them. I am fine not hearing about the rough spots when they don't want my help.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

I am getting back on track for sleep and exercise. I went to aikido for the first time in 10 days and it was not awful. I was seriously tempted to skip class, but I promised my weapons partner that I'd be there for his class.

Once again, I'm feeling the frustration of getting back on a routine after travelling. I would like to stay home for the next three months, please. I want my routine to be consistent and support my goals. Prioritizing sleep is helping.

The next thing is to increase downtime. It is clear to me that having three days in a row booked morning-to-night is Not Good. All the things I am doing are good, but I need some time to just sit and relax too. I am planning on dropping out of the Tuesday night game after Thanksgiving. One of the players will be moving south for the winter at that time. That will be a good natural break point. I could see getting together for craft night on some Tuesdays, but not every week. We shall see.

Tonight I have open and I have several fun things I could do. I just got my flu and Covid vaccines, so I may end up taking things easy and going to bed early.

• Like 6

Level 75  Viking paladin

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

I fully expect Elf to have drama in their life and make mistakes over the next several years. They should be trying things out and failing part of the time to figure out what path is right for them. I am fine not hearing about the rough spots when they don't want my help.

You're a good parent. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weekend report

The big win this weekend was making progress on the downstairs bedroom project.

On Friday I met with a consultant from a firm with the encouraging name of Budget Blinds. She was helpful, liked our cat and showed samples that looked reasonable. Then she wrote a quote. Now, you need to understand that the windows are not large. They are at garden level and in landscape format - short and broad. The quote came in at nearly twice what we expected. So on Saturday, Dumbledore and I drove to the big box hardware store and ordered cellular shades. Shades for both windows with delivery came to less than the material cost for one window in the "Budget" quote. To top it off, the blinds will arrive in two weeks instead of 4-6 weeks.

On Sunday we finished assembly of bookshelf #3. The next step is to put in base support and shims, then attach the shelves to the wall. They are 81 inches tall (2m) and could be unstable if not properly secured. Dumbledore is excited about getting the space to reorganize and sort his books and papers. If things go well, we can get to that phase next weekend.

I had great plans for doing relaxing and creative projects on Sunday. What I actually did was baking and laundry. I did yoga first thing to get exercise out of the way. Good thing, because everything took longer than I planned. I stayed on task all day and did not get done until 9pm. Frustrating.

Today feels like a good start to a new week. I have a new log book :star:. Tonight I'm going to aikido and making cupcakes for work. I have tomorrow night open because my GM has covid. Such possibilities!

• Like 6

Level 75  Viking paladin

New log books and journals are always exciting. I always get excited about all the possibilities ahead of a clean new logbook/journal. :) 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ooooh, cupcakes. cupcakes. cupcakessss

These are spooky haunted cupcakes. They have cream cheese filling with chocolate chips (recipe). Normally I make frosting, but this time I made chocolate glaze instead. It makes them look more like commercial cupcakes (and is easier). 

I did aikido yesterday and went for a walk this morning. My focus was not great at aikido, but I felt better by the end of class. One of my friends said she was glad that I'm back, which was very heartening.

I was somewhat concerned how I would do going for walks after the weather turned cold. Today it was right around freezing and snowing. I was fine. I have implemented base layers and warm socks. Cold is fine down to about -25ºC. The main issue will be traction if things get icy. I can put Yak Trax on my boots, but I don't know how well that will work for walking.

Dumbledore was a sweetheart and washed up the baking dishes last night after I went to bed. I think I will use my night off from gaming to fold laundry and play my computer game. There are other things I should do, but those can wait.

• Like 6

Level 75  Viking paladin

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

Normally I make frosting, but this time I made chocolate glaze instead..

A picture? Where is a picture? :)

It's so sweet your friend from aikido missed you :) I am sure you will regain your normal focus soon. 

I thought you are in US? And you don't tell the temperature in F degrees? 

I love walking when it's cold if it's snowy :) Then it's really beautiful and so nice. 

Why is even "laundry" and "computer game" in one sentence?  It's against all rules of universe xD 

• Like 2

Veni, vidi, vici. 

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

Dumbledore was a sweetheart and washed up the baking dishes last night after I went to bed. I think I will use my night off from gaming to fold laundry and play my computer game. There are other things I should do, but those can wait.

This is excellent. Both that you got to enjoy baking without needing to clean up anything, and that you have the option of taking a night off from gaming, so you can do other gaming. :D 

2 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Why is even "laundry" and "computer game" in one sentence?  It's against all rules of universe xD 

You know.... she has a point....

Break The Rules Reaction GIF by Disney Channel

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/31/2023 at 11:29 AM, Mistr said:

I was somewhat concerned how I would do going for walks after the weather turned cold. Today it was right around freezing and snowing. I was fine. I have implemented base layers and warm socks. Cold is fine down to about -25ºC. The main issue will be traction if things get icy. I can put Yak Trax on my boots, but I don't know how well that will work for walking.

Sheeeeeeesh, and here I was thinking about how hard it'd be to walk in the cold even though we're mostly above freezing right now. This is useful perspective. Thank you. :D

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

A picture? Where is a picture? :)

It's so sweet your friend from aikido missed you :) I am sure you will regain your normal focus soon. 

I thought you are in US? And you don't tell the temperature in F degrees? 

Yes, I am in the US and yes, we tell temperature in Fahrenheit. However, I am a scientist and use Celsius in my work. Considering that most of the world uses ºC, I try to be considerate.

This is because Dumbledore was "helping" by sorting the clean laundry on the bed. He thinks it saves time to sort the laundry before folding it. I disagree, but I don't want to discourage him either. So I had to either fold my laundry and put it away or move it somewhere before going to bed. It made a lot more sense to put it away. I piled his clothes on a chair.

Yesterday evening had less gaming time than I hoped. I went to a hardware store on the far side of town looking for material we have used before to stabilize bookshelves on carpet. Apparently it has been discontinued. That took 45 minutes of driving. Then I sat by the door and waited for kids to stop by. There were a bunch of kids right when I got home, but only a couple more after that. Dumbledore asked me to edit an article he was working on, so I did that too. Lots of things that took time.

I skipped zen so I could get to bed on time. No regrets.

Today I need to go exercise at lunch time. My weapons partner cancelled because he got vaccinated yesterday and is feeling like crap. That is a common reaction to this year's shots. Tonight I have a work dinner, so lunchtime is my only chance to get in some movement.

• Like 6

Level 75  Viking paladin

On 10/30/2023 at 4:37 PM, Mistr said:

Shades for both windows with delivery came to less than the material cost for one window in the "Budget" quote. To top it off, the blinds will arrive in two weeks instead of 4-6 weeks

Budget blinds is a distributor for Hunter Douglas, and I don't know that you can get any more expensive than that. I'm not sure if they slap their own label on after, but I do know that in my 12 years with HD, I saw a LOT of Budget Blinds orders. 

• Like 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time,

and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Spoiler

On 11/1/2023 at 5:51 PM, Mistr said:

Yes, I am in the US and yes, we tell temperature in Fahrenheit. However, I am a scientist and use Celsius in my work. Considering that most of the world uses ºC, I try to be considerate.

This is because Dumbledore was "helping" by sorting the clean laundry on the bed. He thinks it saves time to sort the laundry before folding it. I disagree, but I don't want to discourage him either. So I had to either fold my laundry and put it away or move it somewhere before going to bed. It made a lot more sense to put it away. I piled his clothes on a chair.

Yesterday evening had less gaming time than I hoped. I went to a hardware store on the far side of town looking for material we have used before to stabilize bookshelves on carpet. Apparently it has been discontinued. That took 45 minutes of driving. Then I sat by the door and waited for kids to stop by. There were a bunch of kids right when I got home, but only a couple more after that. Dumbledore asked me to edit an article he was working on, so I did that too. Lots of things that took time.

I skipped zen so I could get to bed on time. No regrets.

Today I need to go exercise at lunch time. My weapons partner cancelled because he got vaccinated yesterday and is feeling like crap. That is a common reaction to this year's shots. Tonight I have a work dinner, so lunchtime is my only chance to get in some movement.

Wow, a scientist, how cool! 😎

It's good, for a moment I thought that maybe I messed something up and you're not from US after all. 

Did you get your exercise at lunch time? It sounds like a tight schedule. 

Veni, vidi, vici.