WhiteGhost - Lost in Space

Lost in Space (1965) - CBS Series - Where To Watch

No wait, this is the new version

Watch Lost In Space 2018 Season 1 | Prime Video

Starfield dropped and I have fallen into the black hole.  I am now well over 100 hours in and have reached level 80.  I still have less than half of the universe explored with about 500 planets and moons surveyed but still less than half of the systems visited.   Todd Howard somehow forgot to mention moons when he gave the 1,000 planets estimate for this game.  I have only scratched the surface of the available faction quests.  

As such, I don't expect to have a lot to be happening around here for probably the rest of the challenge.  Still going to do a challenge anyway, because maybe somebody here wants to talk about Starfield :D

Challenge Statement:   Try to do at least a few things besides Starfield for the next 5 weeks.

Exercise - I visited a new park today that is farther from my home but has much better equipment and the folks there are closer to my level which is like unlocking a new set of skill trainers.  I hope to take advantage of this going forward

Personal Development -   I still want to make some progress on Voice Acting and Blender

Arts - practice piano at least a couple of times a week and don't completely ignore duolingo

Social - Come in here and update at least a few times during the challenge

And that's it,  time to go back out into the Blackest Sea

Space Travel Rocketship GIF by Bethesda - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 7
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

And now I've got John Williams' end theme for Lost in Space stuck in my head... 😅

I have been greatly fortunate: Starfield is one of only two games (the other being Jedi: Survivor) that exceed the capabilities of my laptop. Saves me a couple hundred hours... 🤣

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Following but I know nothing about Starfield.  I'm hoping there are some more interesting stories as you meet new people at the new park. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

9 hours ago, Shello said:

Following but I know nothing about Starfield.  I'm hoping there are some more interesting stories as you meet new people at the new park. 

Same here

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

17 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

And now I've got John Williams' end theme for Lost in Space stuck in my head... 😅

I have been greatly fortunate: Starfield is one of only two games (the other being Jedi: Survivor) that exceed the capabilities of my laptop. Saves me a couple hundred hours... 🤣

I am playing on an Xbox X and the game even exceeds my system capabilities.  The frame rates are constantly lagging and it crashes all the time whenever I try and access the menu (for example when I try to save...)

14 hours ago, sylph said:

Always happy to talk about Starfield

👀

I've blasted through to NG+ for various reasons and I really like the in-game lore they have for why that's a thing. Don't spoil yourself if you haven't, but it's worth playing through the story at least once to get to that point.

I am almost done with the main quest (I think).  I have all of the artifacts and have defeated both of the named enemies.    I am avoiding going further though, because as I understand NG+, all of the exploration I have done will be undone when starting NG+.  I still have a lot of exploring I want to do.

14 hours ago, Shello said:

Oh, there will for sure be new stories with this new group.  I will be sure to come share them here

For example yesterday when I was there, I was practicing the skills I have been learning from the guys at the old park.  After a while, a couple of the guys call me over and ask if I have served in the PLA (Chinese army).  OF course I haven't and point out the obvious fact that the Chinese PLA does not accept non citizens.  I ask why they would think this and they inform me that the specific skills and routines I have been working on are a key component of the PLA basic fitness training.  Apparently it is the equivalent of learning to sing and only being able to sing marching jodies.  Thinking back, this makes perfect sense because many of the guys I learn from at that park are ex-military

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I never saw a color picture of the original LIS cast before. They are clearly optimized for Black and White TV. Good set of goals.

Yeah, the old costumes haven't really stood up to the test of time :D 

11 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Hahaha, that's so cute! 😅

This challenge is a Starfield rehab 😃

Thank you being part of my support group ;) 

11 hours ago, deftona said:

Here to follow!

Open photo

Maybe.  On the other hand it may end up making you decide to avoid it.  It has some really great things going for it, but it also has some pretty serious flaws as well.  

5 hours ago, RES said:

Same here

Then stay tuned, random encounter stories are sure to happen

------------------------------------------

Yesterday I played some piano and my duolingo streak is still active thanks to a liberal application of streak freezes.  I played several hours of starfield but made very little progress because the game kept crashing every time I tried to save

• Like 5

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It has some really great things going for it, but it also has some pretty serious flaws as well.  

Isn't that a given with Bethesda? 😅😇

• Like 2

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am almost done with the main quest (I think).  I have all of the artifacts and have defeated both of the named enemies.    I am avoiding going further though, because as I understand NG+, all of the exploration I have done will be undone when starting NG+.  I still have a lot of exploring I want to do.

This is true. You lose all of your EVERYTHING, except for level/skills/abilities/etc. So if your biggest goal is to explore all the things, save this for much later. (def do it though, because it is preeeeetty cool)

I run on just an S and while it crashes a lot more than my husband's does (he runs on an X), it's not horrible. Seems to go in runs, where there will just be a bad crash day, and then it'll be fine for a few days, then repeat.

• Like 1

My partner is currently wild deep into Starfield as well. I am not a huge sci-fi person so I am not watching it as closely as I watch other things he plays, but it seems *HUGE*.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 hours ago, deftona said:

Tell me more...

Hooboy, where do I start?  How about with the positives...  The quests so far seem to be very well written and the stories I have encountered have been compelling and interesting.  BUT

So far I have explored about 500 planets and have seen pretty much every possible type of flora and fauna that exist in the game.  And really there are only about 30 of each.  Also, each planet has some inorganic resources which are of course limited.  On top of this there are only a limited number of structure layouts.  So after visiting about 100 planets, there stops being anything new to discover.   It is all just some configuration of the same stuff over and over again.  In previous Bethesda games (Such as Daggerfall) they had computer generated dungeons which resulted in different, but pretty similar types of dungeons.  In Starfield, they are not randomly generated, so every type of structure is going to have the exact same layout, the exact same placement of enemies and the exact same placements for lootables.  In fact, if you go through multiple versions of the same structure (say Abandoned Mine for example)  with the same NPC companion, they will have the same dialogue come up in the exact same place.  In one structure we came across a body in a dumpster and my companion made a comment about the apparent disregard for human life.  In the next iteration of that structure, we saw the same body in the dumpster in the same place and companion made the exact same comment.  I feel like even though the game is huge, it really only a few things in it that just get recycled wholesale over and over.

Speaking of huge, the game save bloat is insane.   The game has object permanence so that if you drop a pen on Mars and then go explore the rest of the universe for weeks on end and then come back to Mars, your pen will still be there.  This means that every clutter item that spawns in the game (and Bethesda games have SO MUCH CLUTTER), that clutter will continue to exist in the game memory forever.  After having explored about 300 worlds, my Xbox ran out of memory for new saves and I had to delete all of my old saves.  When I hit about 500 worlds explored, I once again ran out of memory and I only have 2 save files that I alternate through, so in order to keep playing the game I will have to delete all of the other games from my Xbox to make room for these massive save files.  I have 2T of memory and pretty soon it isn't going to be enough for a freaking save file...

The other big problem with the game is that is really runs out of RAM fast if you are exploring worlds that have large amounts of fauna.  The game remembers the location of fauna that spawns as you run around the world space looking for stuff, so you can end up with hundreds of animals that the system is trying to keep track of and the further you go into the world, the more lag you get as the processor tries to keep up with the new animals that keep spawning.   Eventually it will overwhelm the system and it will crash.  The only way for the game to be playable is to fast travel to different spots every few minutes or to enter into a different cell by going inside a structure.  It is important to note that it only resets if you change to a different cell, so entering a building through an air lock will not help.

The final point is that there are way too many cutscenes.  Every time you take off from a planet, land on a planet, make a grav jump to a different system, there is a cut scene of the spaceship doing its thing.  I swear about 1/4 of my total play time has been spent watching cutscenes.

I still play it because the quests are fun and engaging.  I find a need to do more and more of them to keep myself from going catatonic from the boredom of just exploring, though.

One final word of warning.  If you encounter some miners that are stranded and ask for a ride back to a settled system, DO NOT give them a ride.  They won't get off your ship and you will spend the rest of the game having them comment at every cut scene.  I think I have probably heard the phrase "Solid work!  I owe you a beer" more than 10,000 times at this point

23 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Isn't that a given with Bethesda? 😅😇

Bethesda is know for buggy games, but this one seems to have some really spectacular game breaking flaws as mentioned above

17 hours ago, sylph said:

This is true. You lose all of your EVERYTHING, except for level/skills/abilities/etc. So if your biggest goal is to explore all the things, save this for much later. (def do it though, because it is preeeeetty cool)

I run on just an S and while it crashes a lot more than my husband's does (he runs on an X), it's not horrible. Seems to go in runs, where there will just be a bad crash day, and then it'll be fine for a few days, then repeat.

Cool, good to know,  I am RPing as an explorer this time so exploring stuff is more important to him that missions stuff so this playthrough will still have a lot of that.  As such, NG+ is going to have to wait.  I will get to it eventually, though.  From what I have heard about it (very little at this point because I am trying to keep myself away from spoilers) it looks like it is going to be very cool.

I suspect your crashes are not really random, but have to do with the kind of planets you happen to visiting at a given time.  At least that has been my game experience

11 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

I could never use duolingo, it was persistent to make me study from the level zero. You're learning Russian, right? I feel like I should learn it too, people here are so persistent in speaking Russian to me, sometimes even when I say I don't understand. I must have a very Russian face or something xD 

Duolingo is pretty garbage as a language learning tool, but I find it is a decent tool for maintenance.  I used to be pretty good at Russian (I was a translator back in the Soviet Union era) but I have forgotten the bulk f it so my primary purpose is just to get some daily exposure to keep things from disappearing completely

8 hours ago, Sovalis said:

My partner is currently wild deep into Starfield as well. I am not a huge sci-fi person so I am not watching it as closely as I watch other things he plays, but it seems *HUGE*.

Yes, huge is a very apt description of this game

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja

Hahaha, the game sounds like an excellent idea, but it's very poorly executed to the point it renders it unplayable. Such a shame. I might not bother with it. 

I have started the new Forza and it's brilliant so I recommend that. It's on GamePass too. 

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I suspect your crashes are not really random, but have to do with the kind of planets you happen to visiting at a given time.  At least that has been my game experience

This is likely and/or probable. I haven't been keeping track of what type of play has preceded the crashes, but I can definitely keep an eye out for that going forward to see if there is a pattern.

On 10/22/2023 at 3:19 PM, deftona said:

Hahaha, the game sounds like an excellent idea, but it's very poorly executed to the point it renders it unplayable. Such a shame. I might not bother with it. 

I have started the new Forza and it's brilliant so I recommend that. It's on GamePass too. 

It's  actually a pretty decent game, but I think the idea was a bit too aggressive for what the technology can currently deliver.  I feel like it is very similar to Cyberpunk, but with spaceships for traveling instead of cars

On 10/23/2023 at 1:07 AM, sylph said:

This is likely and/or probable. I haven't been keeping track of what type of play has preceded the crashes, but I can definitely keep an eye out for that going forward to see if there is a pattern.

Well I didn't want to NG+ yet but the game left me with no other choice.  My saves were so huge that my one single save file was beyond the technical capability to store it so my only choices were to start over, NG+ or continue playing without the ability to save any progress.  NG+ was the best of the 3 options.  That said, I have been enjoying the game quite a bit as I have abandoned trying to 100% anything since going NG+

-------------------------------------

Very little to report on here.  I have been playing Starfield for hours on end.  The only thing of note is that I was invited to apply for a "job".  It is really more of a volunteer type position that only pays a small stipend but it could end up being interesting.  I am going to explore a little more and see if it is, in fact, something I want to.

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

On 10/25/2023 at 11:25 PM, Jackdaw said:

C'mon, a job?! It'd distract you from your lovely addiction xD 

More "part time volunteer work" and less ”job", but yes, it will certainly eat into my gaming time.  My bigger concern is that I would have to schedule workouts around it

--------------------------------------

As you all may have guessed from my lack of updates recently, I have been almost completely absorbed by playing Starfield.  I have to say, ever since I gave up the quest of trying to scan all of the planets, my enjoyment of the game has increased dramatically.  Also, with my current NG+ run, I have decided to play as someone with lowered moral qualms about shady behaviour and getting to play all of the gray area questlines has been brilliant.  While the game clearly has a lot of drawback as I outlined before, the quests are amazing, and the various ways of completing them depending on your build and the fact that actions can have real, meaningful impacts on future events, I am going to revise my previous assessment of the game and say that as long as you are sticking to actual content and quests, the game can really be a lot of fun.  I actually didn't think this game was going to get much replay action, but now I am starting to rethink that.

• Like 5

Level 2 Ninja

On 10/30/2023 at 1:39 AM, WhiteGhost said:

While the game clearly has a lot of drawback as I outlined before, the quests are amazing, and the various ways of completing them depending on your build and the fact that actions can have real, meaningful impacts on future events,

Agreed 100%

Succeeding or failing on a persuasion check (for example) can open up a completely different string of consequences.

Whether any of them are meaningful or not is another question but at least you can proceed in character most of the time.

• Like 1
On 10/30/2023 at 6:39 AM, WhiteGhost said:

More "part time volunteer work" and less ”job", but yes, it will certainly eat into my gaming time.  My bigger concern is that I would have to schedule workouts around it

--------------------------------------

As you all may have guessed from my lack of updates recently, I have been almost completely absorbed by playing Starfield.  I have to say, ever since I gave up the quest of trying to scan all of the planets, my enjoyment of the game has increased dramatically.  Also, with my current NG+ run, I have decided to play as someone with lowered moral qualms about shady behaviour and getting to play all of the gray area questlines has been brilliant.  While the game clearly has a lot of drawback as I outlined before, the quests are amazing, and the various ways of completing them depending on your build and the fact that actions can have real, meaningful impacts on future events, I am going to revise my previous assessment of the game and say that as long as you are sticking to actual content and quests, the game can really be a lot of fun.  I actually didn't think this game was going to get much replay action, but now I am starting to rethink that.

I see the rehab is not helping xD 

• Haha 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

On 10/31/2023 at 9:05 PM, sylph said:

Agreed 100%

Succeeding or failing on a persuasion check (for example) can open up a completely different string of consequences.

Whether any of them are meaningful or not is another question but at least you can proceed in character most of the time.

I would say that the decisions are far more meaningful than any other game I have ever played.  NPCs your betray during quests come back as enemies later, NPCs you ally with come back to support you later.  Lots of stuff being impacted by earlier choices.  Sure the quests still have to progress and not all decisions can change the outcome, but for the most part decisions seem to matter quite a bit.  Even the end of the game you get a summary of the major choices you made and the impact on the universe

On 11/3/2023 at 11:13 PM, Jackdaw said:

I see the rehab is not helping xD 

I sure have not been around much.  Part of that is due to Starfield, but not as much recently.  See below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am apparently way overdue for an update.  I was doing a lot of starfield and exercising semi-regularly until last weekend when things all went screwy

And that's how I ended up having to drive a teenage girl to school after she spent the night in my bed

YARN | - (RECORD SCRATCH, MUSIC STOPS) - MAN: What? | The Simpsons (1989) -  S28E01 Comedy | Video gifs by quotes | 935555aa | 紗

Ghostess's best friend is also a coworker.  Over the weekend, said friend's dad got hit by a car and was hospitalized..  She booked a train to get back to her hometown to see her dad, but that friend is also in charge of payroll for the company and the next Monday was payday and if she wasn't there. nobody gets paid.  So Ghostess went in over the weekend and they got all the payroll sorted.  While they were doing that, I was helping Ghoslet get ready for his weeklong school field trip to Nanjing.  Monday rolls around and Friend heads home to Xi'an while I take Ghostlet to the train station to drop him off.   In the evening I was supposed to go pick up the car from the repair shop but instead I ended up going with Ghostess to Friend's house to make dinner for her daughter (Friend is divorced and lives with her daughter).  

Around 5am the next morning, we get a call from Daughter who says she is running a fever and has been vomiting all night.  We go and get her and take her to the clinic which ends up taking much of the day.  In the evening, instead of having her stay at home alone while sick, we brought her back to our house.  She started feeling much better in the evening but just to be sure we had her stay over.  We don't have any spare beds  or even a sofa so the only place for her to sleep was in our bed or in Ghostlet's bed and after some discussion we decided it would probably not be good to have her sleep alone in Ghostlet's bed so I slept there and she spent the night in my spot.  The next morning she was feeling back up to 100% and even though we had a doctor's note if she wanted to stay home, she didn't want to get too far behind in school so I ended up driving her to school which is all the way across on the other side of town. (about 50km away)  

Later we ended getting the car picked up, dropping off the other car for some maintenance and getting Ghostlet back from the train station after his trip.

Things that haven't happened over the last week:

exercise

food control

Starfield

I feel like I have fallen completely off the health wagon. and need to figure out a way to get back on.  Unfortunately, with the temperatures going full into winter mode, I find myself not really wanting to get back on, which is really the bigger problem

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

Level 2 Ninja

On 11/17/2023 at 3:41 PM, juliebarkley said:

I'm here to follow, not because I like Starfield, but because I like you. :)

Hope the daughter is doing all better now. And that Ghostlet had a great trip. And that you will figure out how to get your exercise mojo back.

Well hi, I like you too.  Thanks for stopping by.

Daughter is doing much better, Ghostlet had a great trip but my exercise mojo is still MIA

-------------------------------

Wow, another long stretch with no updates.  This one seems to be a bit a write off, but then, I knew that going into it.  

After my week of not being able to play Starfield, I got back into it for a few days and then suddenly decided that I had enough and was ready to do something else.  As it turns out, the something else wasn't anything productive and I have now started a new playthrough of Cyberpunk after having just picked up the new Phantom Liberty DLC.

In other news, my passport expires at the end of the year so I had to get a new one.  The new one came in last week which means this week has been an absolute flurry of activity because my whole life needs to be updated for the new passport.  First I got my new passport registered with the police and then next up was getting my car reregistered and then my drivers license updated.  Today has been getting my work permit updated so that later this week I can renew my visa (and then Ghostlet's because his is dependent on mine), my mobile phone registration, my bank account, my credit card, and even the internet for our church which is registered in my name.  I am not sure but I am pretty sure I am going to also have to renew and update my mobile payment profiles as well

I probably won't be getting much game time in this week.

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja