Decided to wait on starting my first challenge post until after my camping trip was done. 

Anywho, the last one basically petered out. I lost steam with the "project" approach, probably because it got to be way too much to keep up with. It ended up being way too granular which, though it got me off to a good start, turned keeping up with this stuff into a chore. More importantly (and in keeping with what Mrs. Keys learned from her nutritionist), it resulted in having things occupy my waking mind that didn't need to be there. (She told my wife that she wasn't in support of tracking food-She said it causes you to think about food all the time. You should do your best to eat good food, but then when you're done, don't think about it). And it's way too easy to get wrapped around the axle with my own shame issues of having to follow "the rules" (even my own ones) way too precisely.

So, I'm going to think of things at a much higher level. 

My only real activity for the challenge will be to post here each night. That post is going to entail an evaluation of my progress towards my goals-Eat better and do creative things.

Yes, they're not goals--not the SMART kind--fine, call them "mission statements" or whatever. I intentionally want them NOT timebound, NOT specific, NOT measurable...

Think of them more like stars or the rise in terrain away from a river when you're trying to make it back to the road. They represent the general direction that I want to head, and by virtue of checking in each night and evaluating how I handled the day, I can at least know whether I moved closer to where I want to get or farther away.

And I know this works for me because I've already seen it. At the beginning of this year, I decided that I wanted to step up my cooking game, and over a few challenges, I tracked some things, yes, but then I stopped paying attention to it and stressing about it. Yet I still made progress toward that goal because I enjoy cooking, and separate from my challenges, I started practicing more and learning more and thinking more strategically about my cooking.

Yes, committing to X meals over the course of 5 weeks lit a fire under my butt, but it was all the other stuff that's much harder to measure that kept it lit. I experimented, got curious, my wife went to see a nutritionist and learned stuff, not to mention I've been doing my own therapy work, learning to accept my mistakes, not to mention reading up on the principles of cooking, etc. 

So, here's the plan: I'll evaluate my meals-Breakfast, Dinner, and everything else. I'll also evaluate my progress towards piano and my other various flights of fancy. No structured scale. Just this: Am I moving closer to my goals (eat better and do creative things) or am I moving further away, and how do I feel about that? Only one rule: Post each night (unless something more important causes me to miss a night, in which case, that's okay, too)

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

Eat Better

Breakfast:

-Banana bread at camp, plus a couple cups of camp coffee. Maybe a couple of other snack-ish items. Not ideal for a typical day, but better than normal for it being a camp meal. I'm especially proud of myself because this year, I eschewed the usual "stock up on snack cakes and chips and processed crap" in favor of raisins, dried mangos, banana chips, fresh fruit (okay and snuck in a box of mint chocolate cookie moon pies because I did not know that was a thing until last Friday). Sure, also not ideal, but compared to what I used to pack? Significant improvement. And I still had a great time without so much junk food.

Rating: Okay progress, broadly speaking.

Dinner

-Some kinda Greek white bean soup. Make a mirepoix, add some wine and tomato paste, reduce, add broth, simmer, scoop out some and puree and add back in, and then add spinach. Two things make me proud of today: First, I'm proud of myself for thinking of cooking in those terms and not "Step 1 is to add oil...step two is to add onions...wait, let me go chop an onion real quick..." And I didn't do anything special. Watched a lot of cooking YouTube. Read a couple of books. And just tried to figure out why these recipes had you do these steps. I still don't understand the physics of a lot of it, but I understand a lot more than I used to, and that makes me less prone to anxiety freak-outs when things don't go accordingly to plan, which is really nice.

Rating: Good progress.

Everything else:

-See above. I have been foraging off of those mini mint chocolate cookie moon pies most of the night. Some people just can't be trusted.

Rating: No progress, but I'm fine with it.

Do Creative Things

Piano:

-Most of the day was filled with returning from camp, unpacking, cleaning, and decompressing, but I did get a few minutes of improvisation work.

Rating: Okay progress.

Various Other flights of Fancy:

-Got a big ass sheet of plywood that needs busting up. Reconnected with a few friends. Did a little bit of important psychological work on myself tonight. 

Rating: Good progress because of the psychological work. The woodworking stuff can wait a week or so longer. It will be fine.

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

Eat Better

Breakfast:

-Two eggs cooked in butter and some of this fruit salad thingie that Mrs. Keys made with a slice of toasted baguette and guava jelly.

Rating: Good progress. Nice balance of fruits, fats, grains, protein. I'm liking the fruit bowl approach, but way too many pomegranate seeds for my taste (I like their flavor, but it's too much like eating little fruit-flavored rocks).

Dinner

-Mrs. Keys found someone on [insert social media tool that spies on my data here] who was making some kind of chicken and yogurt and rice bowl thing as a meal prep. I was skeptical. For one, splitting the meal into four portions and calling it meal prep isn't really my style these days. I like the "prep the components and assemble day of" approach better since it lets me mix and match. Plus, I wasn't sure of the flavors, and the marinade was Piri piri or pari pari or pari kari or something. Tomato based, I think. Nice and spicy with lemon for acidity. Anyway, I had no idea what it was. Plus, I think brown rice's texture is all wrong.

Spoiler

Life's way too short to eat unpleasantly-textured rice.

I also  wasn't feeling the other ingredients (canned corn, seemed like too many bell peppers). And a sauce that's plain yogurt, adobo sauce, and some lemon juice. I think she could tell I wasn't excited about this one and helped out a ton with the marinade and whatever else I needed.  I subbed out the canned corn (aka trout bait) for some leftover Mexican street corn that she got from who knows where and just threw caution to the wind and...it turned out pretty good, actually. Even the brown rice's texture was helped with the yogurt sauce. Note to self. Yogurt makes brown rice happy.

Rating: Great progress. I stepped out of my comfort zone and got some good practice delegating kitchen tasks instead of falling apart in a pile of anxiety. Could have used more veggies, but I wasn't feeling those peppers. Romaine would have worked.

Everything else:

-Leftover white bean soup. Snacked on some nuts. 

Rating: Good progress. I kept myself satiated throughout the day and didn't go crazy for dinner. Still craving my nightly sweets, but I can probably just dip into that fruit bowl.

Do Creative Things

Piano:

-I didn't want to do piano things, and I can feel myself losing steam, but I did a little bit of it anyway. I made the call to move ahead in my piano book, and that was the right decision.

Rating: Good progress.

-Cities 2 comes out tomorrow. All of my attention is on that. In all likelihood, I'm going to skip posting tomorrow. It's a special occasion. 

Rating: Good progress. I'm planning my absences in advance.

• Like 2

The sauce is called "Peri Peri." Pepper-based sauce. That explains why my fingers were tingling so much.

• That's Metal 1

From yesterday. Cause Cities 2. Don't say you weren't warned.

Eat Better

Breakfast:

-2 pieces of bacon, 2 eggs, some of that fruit stuff, bread and toast.

Rating: Good progress because I ate plenty for breakfast, and that kept me satiated throughout the day.

Dinner

-Leftover chicken and rice bowl stuff from yesterday.

Rating: Okay progress. It was mostly meat and carbs and not a ton of vegetables to speak of. I did not do the red onions because refrigerated red onions tastes like ass. But I did eat leftovers as opposed to caving to the temptation to order out. Note to self-we need to top up our veggies. 

Everything else:

-Ate the bean soup for lunch which gave me plenty of veggies. Didn't have much in the way of snacks, but also didn't really have the time to stop and get any snacks. Yesterday was a stressful day. Glad I had a big breakfast.

Rating: Good progress because I planned ahead.

Do Creative Things

Piano:

-No piano stuff happened yesterday. Cities 2 happened yesterday.

Rating: No progress.

-Had fun gaming, but didn't get so deep into it that I stayed up super late. In fact, I actually went to bed earlier than I usually do. 

Rating: Good progress for getting some proper sleep.

• Like 2

From Thurs thru Sun evening. Cause work + gaming all weekend with the wife and general just-haven't-gotten-around-to-it-yet-itis.

Eat Better

Breakfast:

-Ran the gamut of bacon and eggs, various other items. Don't remember everything. This morning's was leftover soup from yesterday.

Rating: Going to say this one was okay progress. I lost steam right around Thurs / Fri and got away from the fruit stuff. Basically just ended up being bacon and eggs for a bit. I think I even skipped breakfast a couple of days. But we didn't order out, so there's that. Also, I've identified a few good vegan breakfast recipes to try, so points there.

Dinner

-Leftovers for a couple of days. Think we ordered out a couple of times (Pizza maybe?). 

Rating: Okay progress. It ended up being meat and carbs again. But I found a great vegan soup recipe yesterday that made up for it.

Everything else:

-So, Halloween candy is a thing now. Also, had some trouble keeping lunches together.

Rating: No progress. Fell to the Halloween candy trap. Or maybe progress because I was intentional about it and let it happen anyway? Miniscule progress, we'll call it.

Do Creative Things

Piano:

-Piano is limping along. I picked it back up some with some tweaks to my practice plan. In fact, that's why I'm in such a rush to finish this thing is so I can start that up.

Rating: Little progress.

-Bedtime is getting better. Aside from last night, I've routinely gotten in bed before 11 pm.  

Rating: Decent progress.

• Like 1

Eat Better

Breakfast:

-Breakfast was a reheated bowl of that soup from last weekend which, come to think of it, ended up being a pretty good breakfast.

Rating: Decent progress. Deduct points for not being prepared for breakfast, but add them back for being flexible and eating something that's not normally a "breakfast item" (which is good salve against my perfectionist tendencies).

Dinner

-Pizza for dinner. Mellow. Pacific Rim.

Rating: No progress. Maybe a point or two for recognizing that I didn't have the bandwidth to cook? But if I'm being honest, I could have pulled it off. I probably ate a few more pizza slices than I should have, mainly due to not eating adequately earlier.

Everything else:

-I don't think I had lunch yesterday, though I did sneak a few pieces of Halloween candy.

Do Creative Things

Piano:

-More right hand focus yesterday. I think I prefer using drum tracks as my metronome, especially if I'm playing swing. I'm going to hang around unit 3 a little longer, but if I can get to where I can play those coordination exercises without too much issue, I may move myself ahead.

Rating: Good progress. I'm noticing improvement, especially once I get out of my own head and stop stressing about having the exactly perfect finger positions for my scales. Perfectionist tendencies again. Also, using the drum tracks as opposed to a metronome helps a lot.

-Bedtime was at a decent time. Also, props to me for a few one-off items. I stopped watching Dimension 20 at a reasonable time (once I noticed I was bored) and I poured out half of my leftover beer (once I noticed I didn't like it) last night. That gave me space to work in some piano stuff and get to bed at a reasonable time. 

Rating: Good progress. What gets me into trouble (and keeps me from posting here) is that, after work, I just zonk out in front of whatever has my attention until it's time for bed. It's like my brain just needs to shut down after running on overdrive for most of the day. I managed to short circuit that once I noticed that I wasn't enjoying what it was I was doing. That should be celebrated.

In other news, we had our first freeze warning of the year. I'm a little disappointed. I love warm weather and am not ready for the cold to get here. But spring will be back before we know it.

• Like 1

Eat Better

Breakfast:

-Scrambled eggs and salsa with a little cheese because I was craving some scrambled eggs.

Rating: Okay progress. Props for making it work and my not phoning it in and getting something sweet. But I could have made it better if I'd had some vegetables on hand. That seems to be the bigger issue here is running out of fresh veggies when I need them. 

Dinner

-This weird oatmeal protein cereal bar recipe I found on YouTube. Had two of those.

Rating: Decent progress. Lost points for it not being balanced out with more veggies. But I worked a 10 hour day and still managed to cook and not order out. Also, I've been testing out more vegan recipes, so props for that. AND I learned how to make a fruit compote (which was pretty easy now that I think of it). The actual product? Not my favorite. I think it's the utter lack of any kind of fat in this that loses me. Maybe it's meant to be strictly a breakfast food sort of thing.

Everything else:

-One leftover slice of pizza. 

Rating: Okay progress for using leftovers.

Do Creative Things

Piano:

-Focus was on getting down those coordination patterns while over a ii-V-I, and I chose Db as the key for the night. From there, I messed around with the changes to "Here's that Rainy Day."

Rating: Good progress. The coordination patterns are still a little difficult, and I can feel myself falling into a little bit of a rut, but at least I'm keeping it consistent.

-Nothing much to report here. Worked most of the day. It was a good day, but didn't really squeeze in much else besides that. I am getting better about staying on top of posting here and also socializing more with others. 

Rating: ---

• Like 1

Eat Better

Breakfast:

-Leftover breakfast bars from earlier.

Rating: Okay progress. Points added for eating the leftovers. Points deducted for running out of food and leaving that as my only viable option. 

Dinner

-Orzo pasta with salmon and sauce l'estragon.

Rating: Good progress. Dinner last night got a little out of hand in one of those mad scientist kind of ways. First, I've been craving gumbo all week, and I'm having friends over this weekend, so I started working on my chicken stock last night. Second, Mrs. Keys said she wanted salmon and orzo with pesto. And what Mrs. Keys wants, Mrs. Keys gets (within reason and after careful strategizing of how we're going to pay for it). Since we've done plain ol' air fryer salmon and sides for ages and I've got a new found sauce game, I decided I wanted to crack open The Joy of Cooking and add a sauce l'estragon (bechamel plus a concentrated mixture of white wine and tarragon). That meant that our tiny kitchen looked like a rube goldberg device for about 2 hours as I was shifting pots and pans around, doing my prep at the coffee maker, etc. Props to me for keeping my calm amid that chaos (ordinarily, it would have thrown me into a tailspin) and for asking for help from the wife (which she gladly gave, even though she thought I was being way too extra with the sauce). Also props to me for taking a risk and just winging it with cooking the orzo pasta.

Everything else:

-Snacks n shit followed by an emergency chicken sandwich.

Rating: No progress. End of week supply shortage strikes again. Virtually no protein to speak of all day meant that we got hungry quickly and had to order via delivery a chicken sandwich which was way more than it should have been. Idiot tax, I guess. Note to self: Need to work on a process for addressing that problem.

Do Creative Things

Piano:

-None. If I wasn't working, I was cooking. Or watching D20. 

-Nothing to report.

• Like 1

Eat Better

Breakfast:

-Leftover breakfast bars from earlier.

Rating: Okay progress. Points added for eating the leftovers. Points deducted for running out of food and leaving that as my only viable option. 

Dinner

-Orzo pasta with salmon and sauce l'estragon.

Rating: Good progress. Dinner last night got a little out of hand in one of those mad scientist kind of ways. First, I've been craving gumbo all week, and I'm having friends over this weekend, so I started working on my chicken stock last night. Second, Mrs. Keys said she wanted salmon and orzo with pesto. And what Mrs. Keys wants, Mrs. Keys gets (within reason and after careful strategizing of how we're going to pay for it). Since we've done plain ol' air fryer salmon and sides for ages and I've got a new found sauce game, I decided I wanted to crack open The Joy of Cooking and add a sauce l'estragon (bechamel plus a concentrated mixture of white wine and tarragon). That meant that our tiny kitchen looked like a rube goldberg device for about 2 hours as I was shifting pots and pans around, doing my prep at the coffee maker, etc. Props to me for keeping my calm amid that chaos (ordinarily, it would have thrown me into a tailspin) and for asking for help from the wife (which she gladly gave, even though she thought I was being way too extra with the sauce). Also props to me for taking a risk and just winging it with cooking the orzo pasta.

Everything else:

-Snacks n shit followed by an emergency chicken sandwich.

Rating: No progress. End of week supply shortage strikes again. Virtually no protein to speak of all day meant that we got hungry quickly and had to order via delivery a chicken sandwich which was way more than it should have been. Idiot tax, I guess. Note to self: Need to work on a process for addressing that problem.

No room service, just snacks n shit. Jay-Z

Do Creative Things

Piano:

-None. If I wasn't working, I was cooking. Or watching D20. 

-Nothing to report.

• Like 1

Been a little bit. Got busy and / or fell down the Dimension 20 hole. This one will cover, more or less, the last week.

Eat Better

Breakfast:

-Eggs in basket a couple of times; Some days, no breakfast. Oatmeal one morning. Old school USMC SOS one morning that ended up being way over-salted.

Rating: Not great. It's helpful to see what happens when I get myself into a rut. I feel like breakfast is especially hard because there doesn't seem to be a ton of options when it comes to the traditional breakfast foods. You've either got sweet pastries or some kind of egg dish. Or a smoothie which, to me, doesn't count because it's a beverage. I did drop some cash on a new egg pan. I think omelets are the way to go for me since I can pack in tons of veggies and still make it work as a breakfast food. 

Dinner

-Pasta a couple of times. A big bowl of chicken stew* the last few days. Before that, gumbo (which I had been craving for a while).

Rating: I have a confession. I hate winter. I hate being cold and I hate how it gets dark so early (which plays havoc on my depression). And I live in Georgia which, for someone who hates winter, isn't a bad place to be (All respect to my northern brothers and sisters, but I haven't the foggiest idea how y'all keep your sanity during these months). That said, I think I found winter's one redeeming characteristic: soups and stews. I can pack in tons of veggies and protein into an aqueous solution and just nosh on that all week. 

*I did kind of ruin that chicken stew by adding my egg noodles way too early. Don't get me wrong, the flavor is on point, but the texture is wrong since it ended up being a bowl full of mush. Delicious mush, though.

Everything else:

-Don't really remember. Probably several unhealthy decisions along the way. Also, too much beer.

Rating: Last week, I basically stopped shopping holistically (make sure that I have ample healthy snacks, etc.) and went back to shopping for whatever the occasion demanded. Not only does it end up being more wasteful, but it's also less healthy since I'm no longer prepared for when snack cravings come (i.e. those days when I skip or don't eat enough breakfast). Due to having friends over a couple weekends in a row, I've kept more beer in my fridge than usual which has me drinking more beer in the week. 

Do Creative Things

Piano:

-Piano was going strong earlier in the week, but then fell off. 

Rating: I feel like I need to establish a routine around this. Evenings seem to be the best option. It's just that it ends up being difficult to break myself out of zonking out in front of the tv long enough to get some practice in.

-I'm reading up on Bullet Journals.

Rating: I know a few of y'all do this. I finally bit the bullet (pun intended) and bought the guy's book on how to do a bullet journal. I'm not a huge fan of the book. (It's a little preachy, reads kind of like one of those blog posts that's actually an advertisement, and seems like one of those situations where you get a big box in the mail where the contents are 15% useful stuff and 85% packing peanuts. In his defense, it seems to be a fairly simple method that doesn't need a book-length work to explain.) The method looks really solid. The last thing I need is to switch to a new task management method. That said, I'm open to trying new things, and I've more or less stopped keeping up with my Click Up planner anyway.

• Like 1

Ran out of time to do a proper post. Plus, it's so much writing.

Made a soup tonight. Mirepoix plus chicken thighs, broth, taters, milk.  Not necessarily in that order. Didn't finish cooking until around 8:30 pm which doesn't leave much evening left for me.

Road tested the bullet journal for real this time. I like it. 

And did piano things. My hand is tired.

• Like 1

Update for today:

In the food department, things have fallen by the wayside. I'm definitely noticing that I have some usual patterns I fall back into. Increased beer intake, increased cookies / chocolate intake, more zonking out in front of the computer or tv. Piano seems to be going well. At least, I'm practicing more consistently now. 

I think most of what I need is just a few days to get myself back together, which I now have.

• Like 1

Closing this one out. Even though I didn't keep up the challenge updates (I think it ended up being cumbersome writing so much), I still made progress on the food front. I found a problem (bad diet) and I went after it with some degree of success. And it prompted me to step up my cooking game even more.

I think, in the end, it came down to a choice between posting stuff on here or doing the goals I set out to accomplish, and I chose the latter, even if it meant going dark for a while. I kept the piano up (mostly). Except for the last week or so (Thanksgiving week, so...), I've kept up with the food stuff.  I just haven't written much about it. What I need is some way to comment on my progress in short form so that I can fire off one of those quick updates.

Also, I am now officially a Bujo-ite. Bujo-ee? Bujo-er? Bujo-something. So I'm doing updates, and then I'm doing updates for my updates.