Scaly Freak finds sanctuary again

Although her maps are no longer valid (thank you, earthquakes) the world Scalyfreak travels through is none the less a familiar one. She has been to this forest before, many times, but the path to it was different back then. It led in a different direction as well. Still, seeing the same trees as last time is reassuring, and Scalyfreak slows down a little bit, giving in to the temptation to linger under the dancing shadows and enjoy the rich fragrance of pine trees and wet soil.

The sun grows warmer, and Scalyfreak stops to remove her cloak. As she bends to stow it in her backpack, her eyes land on what looks like a strange foot print in the soft soil next to the path. Curious, Scalyfreak swiftly ties the backpack off and swings it onto her shoulders, and begins examining the print. It has sharp edges, and judging from its shape the imprint was not made by a foot but rather by a cloven hoof. Curious, Scalyfreak searches for more prints and finds them soon enough.... further ahead. The owner of the cloven hoofs has been walking along the path, and as far as Scalyfreak can tell it was an unhurried walk, almost casual, and if the size of the hoof prints is anything to go by it's a rather large creature.

Now curious, and with nothing better to do, Scalyfreak begins following the hoof prints down the path. They are easy to spot, and thus easy to follow at a comfortable pace, even more so because the hoof prints never leave the path. Eventually, after a length of time Scalyfreak has failed to pay attention to, the hoof prints turn off the main path and onto one that is so narrow that Scalyfreak would have missed it if she hadn't been actively searching for the next hoof print.

By the time Scalyfreak realize that it's been a long time since she saw a hoof print, the narrow path has started to widen and she can see some kind of open clearing up ahead. Across the clearing, standing between two tall trees, is a solid altar and on top of the altar is the very familiar sculpture of two narrow pillars with a long metal bar resting on top of them, and with two round metal plates hanging from the bar, one on each side.

Scalyfreak stops. Then, after several false starts, approaches the altar slowly and hesitantly reaches up to touch one of the metal plates. It move easily, turning slowly around the bar in the smooth manner of steel that has never been damaged or corroded.

It's a shrine to The Iron. Here, in the middle of nowhere, with no temple and no caretaker, yet pristine and untouched by the elements. It radiates power, of the understated and lasting kind that Scalyfreak remembers being familiar with, once, a long time ago. It's unnerving, but also reassuring. That evening finds Scalyfreak setting up camp in front of the altar, finding comfort in its familiar aura.

MCguSE0.png 

A brief “intro” for anyone who doesn't know me very well:

Spoiler

I approach all my challenges as video game quests, with boss fights and level grinding. I have re-framed my anxiety into pyromancy (specifically, the Flame of Anxiety), because it's very destructive when it flares up and gets out of control. But like pyromancy, if the chaos is embraced and can be harnessed, all that energy can be used against against my enemies. In fireball form.

Track record in my boss fights so far:

• Self-Sabotage drains levels and health, and heals herself with what she drains from her opponent.
    • Current strategy: Run and hide
  • Procrastination is good at hiding and then hitting me with a back-stab when I least expect it.
    • Current strategy: Ignore; deal with her later.
  • Self-Indulgence was gradually convinced it would be easier for her to reach her goals if we worked together. Before the alliance fell apart on its own, Self-Indulgence was viciously killed by a very angry unicorn (that has been seen briefly once of twice since then, but it keeps staying away).
    • Current strategy: Dance on her grave
  • Stress-Hydra spawns whenever too many things are happening at once, or when something really big and overwhelming happens, and cutting off one of her seven heads makes no difference because it re-spawns a replacement head almost immediately.
    • Current strategy: The Herakles Method - Ask for help

I'm currently dual-classing as a Warrior Druid, because meditation is a great way to quietly build Endurance and Resilience stats while figuring out how to make my need for sleep work with my need to make my body lift things and move and generally be active in a way that builds physical strength and resilience.

My new job continues to be fun and exciting, with the exception of some personality clashes and some unexpected meeting drama, all of which both fortunately and unfortunately involve the same person. I'm sure the fact it came to a head in front of an audience on a week when the person's boss missed this particular meeting due to a business trip, was a complete coincidence... :rolleyes: 

My first project, that went very well, was a small one and easy to complete fairly quickly. I've been assigned three other projects to work on, two that are pretty similar to each other and one that is completely different from the other two. All three are fun to work on and require me to learn things, which also is fun for me, so I'm going to ignore the drama and focus on my projects.

Before anyone says anything, my boss has been made aware of the drama and is on my side, and I am looking forward to see what happens when she's back in her home office in a little over a week and we have our regular meetings again. In the mean time, I'm going to work on the projects that The Person's team have been forced to leave untouched for months because no one had time for them, and whip at least one of them them into such spectacularly excellent shape that it will be able to over-head press a car, while running a marathon, by the time I'm done with it.

Since all the stress and frustration caused by The Meeting Drama (I've been studying capitalization in Heidi's challenges ;) ) happened last week, I have decided the week that starts tomorrow will be the week of a new start. Or restart, since I'm making an effort to resume a habit that has long been lost to me: Going to the gym regularly. 

This is not going to be easy. But nothing worth doing ever is.

When it comes to working out regularly at the gym, discipline is required. For discipline to happen, a habit must be formed, and for a habit to be formed, the task must be made as easy as possible. Therefor, I will not be tracking my initial gym workouts and I will not be following an ambitious program. I will go to the gym and do something that strengthens at least one large muscle group. This is the goal. Nothing more or less than that.

I've obtained new workout pants, earbuds and a podcast backlog, and I started the gym visits during Zero Week. My workout days are Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday, with a break for Wednesday and Thursday.

Following the approach from previous challenges, the gym workouts will of course be used to replenish the Health bar. In addition, on days when I go to the gym I am, for the purposes of this challenge, not allowed to use the workout as the thing I do to regenerate emotional stamina. In other words, I still have to do something specifically because it makes me happy.

This is important because thinking about, planning out, looking forward to, enjoying, and remembering, something that I did just because it makes me happy, is an important Flame repellent that protects me from being burnt when the anxiety flares up. (Yes, doing something nice for yourself is a legitimate anxiety management tool.)

Today is Sunday, which means I will go to the gym this evening, after dinner. Let the challenge begin!

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Much support to you, who is doing what I need to do myself.

What's stopping you? 

Serious question, because that was my issue. Once I found out what was blocking my efforts to go to the gym, it became a lot easier to get that first and most challenging visit done. :) 

• Like 3

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

12 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

What's stopping you? 

Serious question, because that was my issue. Once I found out what was blocking my efforts to go to the gym, it became a lot easier to get that first and most challenging visit done. :) 

Respiratory issues. I have asthma and allergies which are usually well controlled but I've had a cough (with phlegm) lately, and the last few times I tried even a minor workout I was so wiped I couldn't do anything the rest of the day.

Schedule change. Since I have a regular schedule again there isn't a large block of time where I'm home alone and can just go to the gym when I feel like it. I'd either have to work out super early in the morning, and I don't like that idea in its own right, and I'd also have to go to bed way earlier than I do (which already isn't early enough), or work out after little Bit is in bed but the gym closes at 9 and there isn't much time then. I'm the cook, so doing it after work isn't practical either. I'm gonna have to give up some convenience and "free" time to get it done and the desire to do that is low right now.

Inertia. I like sitting on my rear. Also, I mourn what I could do when I was working out regularly and kind of dread getting back to where I was.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yeah, it's frustrating and painful to have to stop in the middle of a workout to cough violently for half a minute before finally hacking up what feels like a very small amount of phlegm for the amount of coughing I did. I chose to wait until my asthma was back under control before I returned to the gym, because after 2020 I dislike coughing violently in public places, and because, well, it hurts. It's not a fun reason to interrupt or stop a workout.

All my asthma whining aside, it sounds like the biggest practical obstacle is the gym's business hours. Me being me, I of course innocently want to know if you need to be in the gym to work out? Or can you do something at home, while you search for a gym that fits your hours better?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Me being me, I of course innocently want to know if you need to be in the gym to work out?

I was gonna suggest this, cuz while it's in some ways not as satisfying as pumping the quantifiable iron, I'm getting more into the idea of multiple micro workouts, and they can be useful as a way to combat schedule problems. Finding half an hour plus two commutes to the gym is like an hour on time, and ain't nobody got that. But four or five places where there are five minutes to do lots of squats or pushups, might be the same quality of workout (minus the endurance I guess), but spread over the day. Or even spread over two days, scheduled to split up a leg day and an arm day or whatever - instead of two or three days at the gym, ten or fifteen minutes six days a week added into a morning or evening routine. It might also help keep the fatigue and respiratory distress to a minimum, because each chunk is not so demanding.

I mean, maybe also not as satisfying or whatever, or not as effective. But an experiment, and probably more effective than not going to the gym. (Or so I tell myself.) We kaizen the shit we can't do right now.

Phlegm is the worst. The absolute worst. I am not a fan. It isn't singlehandedly responsible for my sleep deficit, but for maybe half of it.

parks and rec thumbs down GIF

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Honestly I don't have to have the gym, and there are others nearby with more hours open, but the truth is the micro workouts are likely the solution, at least in the short term.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Physical HP (physical health)

30 minute rowing machine at the gym. Strength training for myocardium!

Recover Stamina (fortify emotional bandwidth)

Tested out a new recipe, for a breaded and oven roasted rack of lamb. It was delicious. This will happen again. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Honestly I don't have to have the gym, and there are others nearby with more hours open, but the truth is the micro workouts are likely the solution, at least in the short term.

Then that is the solution. Gym is not a requirement for working out. :) 

• Like 1

I wish you a very happy raising of the (health) bar and bar (bells)!

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

What's stopping you? 

What if my issue is a mix of tiredness and laziness and demotivation that cannot be disentangled?

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm getting more into the idea of multiple micro workouts, and they can be useful as a way to combat schedule problems.

Yay exercise snacks! They are less motivating, but require less motivation also. Might be a nice option for the winter when going out is horrid.

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

30 minute rowing machine at the gym. Strength training for myocardium!

Oooh, impressive. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Yay for finding the shrine to The Iron and coming here to tell us about it!

Of course I heartily approve of your "any workout is good" plan. 

Even more than that, I appreciate this:

22 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This is important because thinking about, planning out, looking forward to, enjoying, and remembering, something that I did just because it makes me happy, is an important Flame repellent that protects me from being burnt when the anxiety flares up. (Yes, doing something nice for yourself is a legitimate anxiety management tool.)

I am still struggling with doing things to make me happy and not feeling guilty about the time. Dumbledore has been great in supporting me taking time to do fun things. It is my brain that is having problem. My anxiety has gotten a bit better, so part of my brain thinks I can go back to my former habits that got me in trouble. Bad brain weasels. No cookies.

• Like 3

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

So excited to see you and happy you found the shrine! Here to cheer you on!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

What if my issue is a mix of tiredness and laziness and demotivation that cannot be disentangled?

Then you do very short tiny workout snacks. For example, stand up, widen your stance, and slowly sink into a bodyweight squat. Hold that position while counting to five. Straighten back up

And that's a workout. Seriously. That's it. And then do that off and on through the day when you remember to. 

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

I am still struggling with doing things to make me happy and not feeling guilty about the time. Dumbledore has been great in supporting me taking time to do fun things. It is my brain that is having problem. My anxiety has gotten a bit better, so part of my brain thinks I can go back to my former habits that got me in trouble. Bad brain weasels. No cookies.

I have had similar brain weasels for quite some time. (I'm convinced mine are minions of Self-Sabotage, and endowed with Procrastination powers.) T4, the fourth therapist who helped me deal with the unexpected layoffs earlier this year, listed "things that make me happy" very high on her list of long-term helpful anxiety management strategies, and it works for me. Hopefully it works for you too.  And do not listen to the brain weasels! They lie!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today is not gym day. I stretched my shoulders and upper back off and on through the day because DOMS are happening again.

Marinated a salmon filet in teriyaki sauce and then roasted it in the oven.  Now I'm watching Monday Night Football while spending time with Happy Sidekick. :) 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Then you do very short tiny workout snacks. For example, stand up, widen your stance, and slowly sink into a bodyweight squat. Hold that position while counting to five. Straighten back up

And that's a workout. Seriously. That's it. And then do that off and on through the day when you remember to. 

Are you sure it's a workout? It doesn't seem sufficient to cause either cardiovascular or hypertrophic adaptations. Although it might cause mental adaptation to the concept of exercise. Is that the goal? That's how I'm treating my exercise snacks right now. It's like...trying to progress to get up to level 0, when the real progress can start.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

Are you sure it's a workout? It doesn't seem sufficient to cause either cardiovascular or hypertrophic adaptations. Although it might cause mental adaptation to the concept of exercise. Is that the goal? 

Yes, that is the goal. There is also a parallel goal of doing this several times per day.

• Like 2

Another 30 minutes of building myocardium strength on the rowing machine.

This morning, I made an effort to start the day off by doing something nice for myself, by hitting the 30 minute snooze on the alarm on my phone. I really have no idea why I thought this would work. I can only assume that being asleep had made my brain forget that we have cats. So I got about three minutes of extra time in bed. I think. It may have been two and a half.

So since that didn't work as planned, I put on my tunic/t-shirt dress that does its best to imitate Ohura's original uniform from the 60s while still being a t-shirt. Then I replaced the official company Zoom background with a panorama of the bridge of Kirk's Enterprise, and had fun waving to people with a certain vulcan greeting gesture during meetings all day. :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • That's Metal 2

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

This morning, I made an effort to start the day off by doing something nice for myself, by hitting the 30 minute snooze on the alarm on my phone. I really have no idea why I thought this would work. I can only assume that being asleep had made my brain forget that we have cats. So I got about three minutes of extra time in bed. I think. It may have been two and a half.

This is why I wear earplugs, although admittedly Orange is just as likely to cry immediately after I go to bed, or late at night when she decides she is lonely, as early in the morning. But if you cannot hear them, are they really meowing? 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

But if you cannot hear them, are they really meowing? 

This is a trick question. The cat hears, so yes, they really are. ;) 

Day one of the two-day break from gym workouts.

Dark chocolate, good book, and peppermint tea. :) 

• Like 5

On 10/31/2023 at 11:17 PM, Scaly Freak said:

by hitting the 30 minute snooze on the alarm on my phone. I really have no idea why I thought this would work. I can only assume that being asleep had made my brain forget that we have cats

I really had to chuckle at this... I decided to sneak an extra 15-20 mins after I fed them this morning they both vocalized that what I was doing wasn't "right" with their complaints. 

On 11/1/2023 at 1:12 AM, Harriet said:

This is why I wear earplugs, although admittedly Orange is just as likely to cry immediately after I go to bed, or late at night when she decides she is lonely, as early in the morning. But if you cannot hear them, are they really meowing

Interesting... one of my cats that need night attention know how to pat my face/hair/neck in just the nerve spot to wake me up from the deepest sleeps. Though the night cries I'm starting to become immune  too... 

On 10/31/2023 at 11:17 PM, Scaly Freak said:

So since that didn't work as planned, I put on my tunic/t-shirt dress that does its best to imitate Ohura's original uniform from the 60s while still being a t-shirt. Then I replaced the official company Zoom background with a panorama of the bridge of Kirk's Enterprise, and had fun waving to people with a certain vulcan greeting gesture during meetings all day. :) 

Ooh I'm so jealous of this!
I personally just bought a pair of black cat ears... Exact coordination to fit one of my uniforms but also comfy. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

On a Retreat until June 17, 2024... Look forward to seeing you on the other side!

On 10/31/2023 at 3:11 AM, Harriet said:

Are you sure it's a workout?

There's very little evidence that it matters how much time you put between chunks of your strength workout, from what I can find. (Unless the actual endurance is what you're training, but that's rare for people to do with resistance workouts.) If you do five minutes every day or one 35 minute session once a week, it's basically the same. If you do eight sets of 2 minutes across a day or a sixteen minute block, it's almost the same. A handful of squats is just fine as a workout; like all workouts, it doesn't exist in a vacuum but as part of a pattern and frequency to support a goal. It's a different pattern and frequency than a 75 minute leg day, but that's largely just preference.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10 minutes ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Interesting... one of my cats that need night attention know how to pat my face/hair/neck in just the nerve spot to wake me up from the deepest sleeps. Though the night cries I'm starting to become immune  too... 

Oh, she's not allowed in the bedroom. That's why she cries. But I admire your tough and persistent sleeping skills. Very useful.

8 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

There's very little evidence that it matters how much time you put between chunks of your strength workout, from what I can find. (Unless the actual endurance is what you're training, but that's rare for people to do with resistance workouts.) If you do five minutes every day or one 35 minute session once a week, it's basically the same. If you do eight sets of 2 minutes across a day or a sixteen minute block, it's almost the same. A handful of squats is just fine as a workout; like all workouts, it doesn't exist in a vacuum but as part of a pattern and frequency to support a goal. It's a different pattern and frequency than a 75 minute leg day, but that's largely just preference.

That's really good to know, for the strength. I am supposed to be doing cardio as well, though, and I guess that does need longer continuous workouts. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harriet said:

That's really good to know, for the strength. I am supposed to be doing cardio as well, though, and I guess that does need longer continuous workouts. 

Arguably, yes. I know three ways to get cardiovascular benefits: low intensity (at high volume), mid intensity, and high intensity (at low volume). Most people focus on mid intensity, but the others are interesting. High intensity intervals work well and take relatively little time, but are very demanding. (They scale to individual fitness, but require being at a stupidly high percentage of max exertion.) The worst of those would be Tabata, which name a lot of people puke. Low intensity is often overlooked because it's not impressively masculine enough, but studies also say good things here. This would be like the long slow walk.

I'm listening to an audio book on walking now, and it says that multiple short walks are often more effective for certain cardio benefits like lower blood pressure than one long one, especially for women. It looks like twelve minutes per walk unlocks most of the benefits for stress relief and health and so on. Brisk walking is often best, but you can walk as slowly as you like, with as many rests as you like, for significant improvements in most beneficial health outcomes, even if illness or injury is slowing you down to a snail's pace. Volume does matter, but it doesn't need to be all at once, and there are some health markers that seem to respond well to many short walks instead of one long one. (Including simply undoing the effects of sitting; multiple five minute walks help, but one walk per day does not.) So as with strength, three 10-12 minute walks are in many ways as good as one 30 minute walk. Probably not optimal in all ways, but pretty darned close, and quite possibly better in some ways - continuous inactivity time seems to also be a factor, and shorter movement breaks help a lot there.

Walking, like strength, is also fairly cumulative, just not in exactly the same way. Usually I see goals described in total minutes per week. How you break it up is up to you. It may need more time than strength training (unless you're a Tabata masochist), but the individual workouts don't necessarily need to be much longer or continuous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Thank you. I had all this in my head and for some reason had no ability to put it into words, and now I have words. :)

56 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Brisk walking is often best, but you can walk as slowly as you like, with as many rests as you like, for significant improvements in most beneficial health outcomes, even if illness or injury is slowing you down to a snail's pace. Volume does matter, but it doesn't need to be all at once, and there are some health markers that seem to respond well to many short walks instead of one long one.

Anxiety is one of them. It's so effective that just pacing around the room for a few laps can make a difference for my anxiety levels at times. :) 

• Like 1