Sara Kingdom's Annual Hogswatch Challenge

tumblr_ngsxanfOGO1rfxwrlo1_500.jpg

Little children waiting for the Hogfather have one job: sleep.

Thus I have one job this challenge. My sleep had me suspended from most of the last challenge. (Stupid wizards. And librarians.) My sinuses hate the dry winter air, and my ADHD hates rest, and they both need to be outsmarted.

My challenge will consist of:

Taking Stats

• Hours of sleep per night
  • A sleep quality score that is totally made up
  • The current weekly sleep deficit

Sinus Care

• Hydrate well. 3 liters acceptable, 4 liters target.
  • Moisturize my sinuses with some form of saline.
  • Breathing exercises to make my respiratory wotsits happier.

Sleep Practice

• Yoga nidra, to practice relaxation.
  • A nap, to practice noticing when I need sleep. (Technically optional, but the day I'm not running a sleep deficit is the day I'll care about that.)
  • Do something each day to make sleep more aesthetically appealing.

I'll consider adding some exercises for sleep purposes but otherwise I'll just muddle along with my good enough for government work walking and isometrics.

xmsdth.jpg

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

d1c7338a4d0362fa16d5db8ed4ebe989.jpg

Ook.

Some useful reference library material.

Spoiler

This is pretty close to my daily routine, with some superman and bird dog swapped for the lunges. Handy if I don't feel like counting or have no brain.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Templates probably.

🎄 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Hours              
Quality              

Current deficit

Liters of water              
Sinus hydration              
Sinus exercises              
Yoga nidra              
Nap              
Sleep aesthetics              
Rest alerts              

• Like 7

tumblr_mlsrs5i4zv1qahdmvo9_250.gif

A small fire burned in the grate in the Oblong Office. It consisted of a fairly lonely log, its chums having decided there were more opportunities for career advancement in the private sector, where the Patrician's policies on budgetary restraint did not apply.

In the thick morning gloom before  dawn, two candles lit the desk, where a thick folder labeled "Kingdom,  Sara" lay open. A cup of tea steamed away quietly in the cold winter air with a single biscuit balancing precariously on the rim of the saucer.

Vetinari looked up from the top sheet of the folder, aghast. "She's been doing what? With wizards?"

Drumknott cleared his throat. "Er, just the one wizard, I believe,  sir."

"Surely, Drumknott, you do not imagine it's the quantity of wizards to which I object," said Vetinari.

"I, er, can't imagine that more of them would improve matters, my lord," said Drumknott carefully.

"And what, pray are we to believe she has learnt in the care of wizards? How to order nine meals a day? How to avoid all the tedious responsibilities of academia? A more general feckless inefficacy?" Vetinari closed the folder with a slam. "What the devil are we to do with her now?"

"As to that, sir, " said Drumknott,  "I have issued her a desk. And a bottle of ink from the supply cupboard."

"Wizards," said Vetinari, as if the word had three fewer letters.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

"As to that, sir, " said Drumknott,  "I have issued her a desk. And a bottle of ink from the supply cupboard."

Given the need for sleep, may I reccomend the desk be a George Costanza Yankee Special?

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

This may be an obvious/stupid question, but do humidifiers make a difference for your sinuses in the winter?

Santa Hat Dog GIF by Bonds Aus

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

8 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This may be an obvious/stupid question, but do humidifiers make a difference for your sinuses in the winter?

Not significantly, no. In recent years, basically none. The only thing that significantly moves the needle is hydration.

Week 0 Day 2

Hours   6.5          
Quality   2          

Current deficit

13.5h          
Liters of water   3          
Sinus hydration   1          
Sinus exercises   1          
Yoga nidra              
Nap   1          
Sleep aesthetics              

I've decided my sleep quality is out of a scale of 3.

Also, I think I may have had 8.5 hours last night, but my tracker thinks I was awake for sections, which may explain the middling sleep quality. But the tracker gets the official say; what would I know, I was asleep.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Following!

I suffered for YEARS with sinus issues. I was always sensitive to dust and smoke as a kid, but as I got older (and started working in a plant that literally produces sawdust) I was getting sever sinus infections pretty much every month. It was horrendous. Do you know the root cause of your sinus issues?

Have you done an air quality test in your home or have some sort of device to check things like humidity and particles? 

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Happy Hogswatch, Sara! 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Do you know the root cause of your sinus issues?

No, it's chronic. It's been like twenty years and many different climates and houses. No one's ever found a medical reason, so I'm left with inadequate hydration for their finicky tastes, or they hate pixie dust or something. It's possible actual dust is an issue, but not in a root cause sort of way. I once tried a dust filter, and it was... inconclusive. I might again. But the biggest impact is hydration, from what I can tell.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

No, it's chronic. It's been like twenty years and many different climates and houses. No one's ever found a medical reason, so I'm left with inadequate hydration for their finicky tastes, or they hate pixie dust or something. It's possible actual dust is an issue, but not in a root cause sort of way. I once tried a dust filter, and it was... inconclusive. I might again. But the biggest impact is hydration, from what I can tell.

I went to an ENT and they told me it was likely dust allergies.

On top of 2 over the counter medications they prescribed a third nasal spray and it works so well.

The biggest thing is also frequently washing my face at work when in the bathroom. Theres wood dust in the air constantly. 

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I have had cake. I like cake. Cake fits my macros. It is actually healthy cake. (And honestly the preferable way to eat a handful of almonds, because almonds are more boring than cake.) It is very civilized to have coffee and cake. The one thing I do not like about cake is that I have to make every piece of cake I'm ever going to eat. That means there is rarely cake when I need it.

cake GIF by Juulieffe

I have also had a busy morning. Now that I have had salad and cake, I'm going to take a nap or meditate or something, and then do a very large chunk of work. My brain needs rest before it tackles things.

Tired Tuesday Morning GIF by Lilly Singh

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 3

That was not much of a nap, but I think it was sufficient. Also, that hot chocolate and marshmallow perfume is so useful. It's like a hit of winter coziness. Nothing can be too bad with that around.

This week (and the past week) is long slog of important deadlines and heavy thinky work. I can do this, but I don't have much margin of error. The important thing is keeping my rest steady, taking regular breaks, and not letting my brain have access to too many time sinks or get too tired. Recovery.

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

2 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Tell Dan Levy GIF by CBC

*looks around furtively* Are you looking for a hookup?

Week 0 Day 3

Hours X 6.5 6        
Quality X 2 2        

Current deficit

X 13.5h 14h        
Liters of water X 3 2        
Sinus hydration X 1 0.5        
Sinus exercises X 1          
Yoga nidra X   1        
Nap X 1 0.5        
Sleep aesthetics X            
Rest alerts X X X        
  • Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

New tracking field added. I've updated the alerts on my phone to reflect my most common remedial work-break-rest cycle, and made the alerts all relaxing and stuff. This is so I don't have to manually remember to start this cycle every day, and my phone tries to drag me back to it. The new tracking field is to remind me not to ignore those alerts. They are relevant.

It's a little high on the rest breaks but it's pretty reliable for getting me back on schedule on all but the very worst days, when I need tons of sleep. Also, rest breaks are now my job; more rest breaks mean more work gets done.

• Like 4

On 11/27/2023 at 1:08 PM, sarakingdom said:

tumblr_mlsrs5i4zv1qahdmvo9_250.gif

A small fire burned in the grate in the Oblong Office. It consisted of a fairly lonely log, its chums having decided there were more opportunities for career advancement in the private sector, where the Patrician's policies on budgetary restraint did not apply.

In the thick morning gloom before  dawn, two candles lit the desk, where a thick folder labeled "Kingdom,  Sara" lay open. A cup of tea steamed away quietly in the cold winter air with a single biscuit balancing precariously on the rim of the saucer.

Vetinari looked up from the top sheet of the folder, aghast. "She's been doing what? With wizards?"

Drumknott cleared his throat. "Er, just the one wizard, I believe,  sir."

"Surely, Drumknott, you do not imagine it's the quantity of wizards to which I object," said Vetinari.

"I, er, can't imagine that more of them would improve matters, my lord," said Drumknott carefully.

"And what, pray are we to believe she has learnt in the care of wizards? How to order nine meals a day? How to avoid all the tedious responsibilities of academia? A more general feckless inefficacy?" Vetinari closed the folder with a slam. "What the devil are we to do with her now?"

"Wizards," said Vetinari, as if the word had three fewer letters.

😄 Such training would be at odds with his views.

(This week I hopped back into City Watch where I last left off, starting Jingo. I'm halfway through the book already, and I'm pondering what Vimes' other pant leg of decisions must've looked like. 😄 I also put a hold on Going Postal because you and I both think I should read it. 😉)

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

16 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

This week I hopped back into City Watch where I last left off, starting Jingo.

Hooray! I approve of this. :D

16 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

I'm halfway through the book already, and I'm pondering what Vimes' other pant leg of decisions must've looked like. 😄

Have you read Jingo before, or is this your first time?

17 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

I also put a hold on Going Postal because you and I both think I should read it. 😉)

You absolutely should. Also, tis the season for Hogfather. 🎅

• Like 2

I start Hogfather this weekend. 💀🎄

• Like 3

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Tell Dan Levy GIF by CBC

Here ya go: Choco Musk Concentrated Perfume Rollerball, currently $5.50 on Amazon. Cheaper if you want to get two. three, or six. (I got a bunch for Christmas stockings. Choco Musk is big on the 'Tok lately.) If you want the chocolate hit, apparently it has to be the rollerball, not the spray, which people say is much less chocolate and more vanilla. They say it's unisex, I guess because anyone might want to smell like chocolate and toasted marshmallow. I encourage men to test this for themselves, especially men standing near me this Christmas.

Oil rollerballs last months of regular use, but are small enough for air travel, and the scent usually lasts way longer on the skin. I can still smell it after more than twelve hours; it's not strong now, but it's there. The oil format usually doesn't blast the room, but stays a little closer to the person, which for me is a plus, cuz I don't wanna be the Axe body spray person in the room, even in chocolate form. Less likely to bother the scent-sensitive.

• Like 2