AThousandWords: Christmas Countdown Challenge

image.png.d5557cba6e2edf3256bc368a6b48beef.pngimage.png.d5557cba6e2edf3256bc368a6b48beef.pngimage.png.d5557cba6e2edf3256bc368a6b48beef.png

It's the holiday season, and with two young kids and all sorts of trips/travel/vacation planned, the season can get busy fast. So I'm just going to make this mini challenge all about festive cheer, maintaining good habits, and adding in a little fitness. I'd like to put myself in a good place to kick off January and keep myself in check from eating ALL the Christmas cookies. 

🎁  Keep LoseIt streak alive

• Achieve a 51 days streak by Dec 23

Keep tracking what I eat in LoseIt. This worked well for me during the last challenge, and since I found I naturally tend to stay within my calorie goal, I'm not going to stress about hitting my goal a certain number day this challenge. Tracking what I eat and being mindful is enough.

☃️  Drink 6 cups of water every day

• Track water consumption in LoseIt
  • Bonus Goal: Fill Tervis tumbler every morning when pouring coffee

The big thing I want to change up is how much water I drink - I can go a full day without water if I'm not thinking about it, so let's put it at the top of mind. I know 6 cups is less than I "should" be drinking, but being able to drink that much consistently would be a big improvement.

🌟  Choose one fitness challenge to do every day

This is just for fun and to keep fitness-motivated! I found the 3 mile walks I did last challenge and little difficult to complete consistently. And while I'd still like to get out and walk a few times a week, I've decided not to make it a challenge goal - just a bonus. Instead, I'm going to do a small fitness activity each day, eventually crossing them all off!

CleanShot2023-11-28at10_03_43.png.df3d2d1d2274b38989377a5b92cc676b.png

image.png.d5557cba6e2edf3256bc368a6b48beef.pngimage.png.d5557cba6e2edf3256bc368a6b48beef.pngimage.png.d5557cba6e2edf3256bc368a6b48beef.png

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Looks great! Here to cheer! 😁

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

🎁   Keep LoseIt streak alive:

☃️  Drink 6 cups of water every day :

🌟  Choose one fitness challenge to do every day :  

First day was off to a good start! My scale is a little up following the post-Thanksgiving feast (and subsequent leftovers) but I think drinking water and keeping an eye on calories will help. Yesterday I did the 30 second plank, which originally I kind of scoffed at - of course I can do 30 seconds, easy peasy. And then it was actually kind of hard... 😅  So yeah, I probably need to focus on strength training in the new year. But at least this is helping me figure out where I need work!

• Like 5

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Love your countdown challenge!  It's inspired something for my challenge so I hope you don't mind if I borrow it!  I might set a lose it streak goal too!  Good luck and happy holiday challenge! 🎄

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

7 hours ago, Shello said:

Love your countdown challenge!  It's inspired something for my challenge so I hope you don't mind if I borrow it!  I might set a lose it streak goal too!  Good luck and happy holiday challenge! 🎄

The more the merrier! I'll go check out your challenge and follow along too!

• Like 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Yay plank!!

• Like 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Yesterday I did the 30 second plank, which originally I kind of scoffed at - of course I can do 30 seconds, easy peasy. And then it was actually kind of hard... 😅  So yeah, I probably need to focus on strength training in the new year.

I hear ya. Lockdown just demolished my fitness base. I'm really annoyed about it.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I hear ya. Lockdown just demolished my fitness base. I'm really annoyed about it.

I'm gonna go ahead and blame the second baby at the start of lockdown... even though she's 3.5 years old now and I've run two half marathons in that time. (Okay, I think I've just been neglecting strength work. 🙈😬 )

• Like 2

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

🎁   Keep LoseIt streak alive: 

☃️  Drink 6 cups of water every day : 

🌟  Choose one fitness challenge to do every day :  

Yesterday's fitness challenge was 15 calf raises and I almost forgot to do them. Like, I was putting my oldest to bed and then realized I didn't do my challenge today and quickly picked an easy one to squeeze in.

In Atomic Habits, James Clear talks about starting small: just 2 minutes of the new habit. And I think, without quite realizing it, that's how I designed this fitness challenge. Most of these can be done in 2 minutes or less, which makes them perfect for building a habit base. But I have to build the structure of the habit too. Establish the cue, craving, response, and reward.* Right now I'm just winging it, fitting these small fitness challenges in whenever I have time - but that's not going to carry through to building a better fitness habit in January. So this week I'm going to experiment a bit with the cue part in particular: when is a good moment to fit in these exercises that can stack with a longer fitness habit later.

Speaking of January... I think I need to start running again. Let me backup. Last March I ran my second half marathon with my family - it's a big tradition on my husband's side to run the Shamrock Race in Virginia Beach together over St. Patrick's Day weekend. Last year I did the 10k with my father-in-law and my husband's aunts, and then ran the half with my brother-in-law the next day. But the previous November I also started having problems with plantar fasciitis in one foot, and training for the half was brutal. I pushed through, but as soon as the race in March was done, I stopped running completely. 

This year I'm only signed up to do the 10k again (not crazy enough to take on the half with no training) but I realize that running 6 miles without any training doesn't sound very sane either. So I'm going to have to start running again if I don't want to kill myself in March. (And that probably means aggravating my PF again, which really hasn't gotten better, but also hasn't been treated in any way because I hate making medical appointments.) That means one of my goals for January needs to be some light running to work up to that 6 miles. Next year the second challenge runs conveniently through March 17, which is the race date, so I can build up more miles during the next 5 weeks.

Anyway, none of that really matters right now, but looking ahead, it seems like January will be an exercise-heavy challenge, so getting those habits established now is only going to help me later.

*Is this just an excuse to talk about my favorite self-improvement book? Yes, yes it is.

• Like 3

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

I think that's a great insight for sure.

For instance I always have to plan my workouts and fitness. If its "work out for X amount of time" it just never works. 

I took this same thing to all of the habits I want to build, and consider them more like routines. Morning routine, Lunch routine, Nightly routine. Start tying together all these things you want to do at certain times and then you are building the habit of "Hey I just had my breakfast now I do X." 

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

7 minutes ago, cn3wton said:

I took this same thing to all of the habits I want to build, and consider them more like routines. Morning routine, Lunch routine, Nightly routine. Start tying together all these things you want to do at certain times and then you are building the habit of "Hey I just had my breakfast now I do X." 

So true! I've managed to stack a bunch of things into my nighttime routine because I'm right there at the sink - take vitamins, floss, brush teeth, 9-step korean skin care routine (ok 2 step) - you know? But it's harder for things like exercise because you really have to plan out. Am I wearing the right clothes? Do I have time to shower? Etc and it's so easy to put off.

Last year I had good success getting dressed in workout clothes and going for a run immediately after I drop my son off at the bus stop, so I'll probably try to stick with that again. But it's cooollllldddd at 7am so I really have to motivate myself. 😅

• Like 2

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Thursday/Friday

🎁 Keep LoseIt streak alive:

☃️ Drink 6 cups of water every day :

🌟 Choose one fitness challenge to do every day :

Well I've inadvertently created a habit cue to do my fitness challenge at the kids' bedtime. Which isn't ideal, but hey, at least it's getting done. I may try to make it more intentional choice next week but no promises.

My husband is leaving for Germany tonight, on a one week work trip. He'll be back next Saturday, so it's just me and the kids till then. He's out with them at a birthday party right now, so I'm trying to get my life in order to make the next week easier. Cleaning the house, catching up on laundry, putting together a meal plan. We're doing all easy meals this week, stuff I know the kids love and will eat, and I can cook in less than 30 minutes. Mostly, I'm just hoping everyone stays healthy and can keep going to school/daycare this week.

I guess this is technically the end of week zero, and the real challenge begins tomorrow. I think I did pretty darn well for a zero week. I hit all my goals, and more or less kept to my calorie budget. Yesterday was a bit of a cheat day; a friend and I went out to a winery during the day and caught up over a bottle of wine and fancy bruschetta. Then after dinner, our family watched the Bake Off finale and, of course, ate some yummy baked goods. Because the best way to watch GBBO is with a baked treat. (Extra points if you make it yourself, but ours were bought from our local bakery.) And all of that was a really lovely way to end the week, 💕

• Like 6

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

I love the habit cue! Things like that make every step easier and are a great way to make progress keep it up! 

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Saturday/Sunday

🎁 Keep LoseIt streak alive: 

☃️ Drink 6 cups of water every day : 

🌟 Choose one fitness challenge to do every day :  

Still going strong! Had a good day with the kids yesterday after my husband left on Saturday. Now for the week ahead... 😅

And in terrible news, I broke my French Press this morning! 😭 I ran out and got Starbucks after I dropped my kids off at school to make myself feel better. I guess it'll be black tea tomorrow morning until I can get a new French Press.

• Like 5

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Amazing job on all fronts! Apart from the French Press of course. Hope you can get a replacement soon!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

20 hours ago, athousandwords said:

And in terrible news, I broke my French Press this morning

Maniac No GIF by Archer

• Like 1

Monday/Tuesday

🎁 Keep LoseIt streak alive: 

☃️ Drink 6 cups of water every day : 

🌟 Choose one fitness challenge to do every day :  

On 12/2/2023 at 12:01 PM, athousandwords said:

Mostly, I'm just hoping everyone stays healthy and can keep going to school/daycare this week.

Well I clearly jinxed myself. On Monday my 3yo was sent home from daycare with a fever and today we got her in at the doctor to find out she has (a very mild case of) RSV. Fortunately she's feeling pretty well, unfortunately it's very contagious and she has to stay home the rest of the week. 😭

And while this is annoying, it's not particularly devastating. My work is really flexible and we're in a slow season with the end of the year anyway. I've been able to keep all my meetings today because she's been mostly entertaining herself with watercolors, toys, or her tablet. But my brain hasn't gotten the memo that we're not in flight or fight node and so I'm stressed and I've been struggling not to stress eat the last two days. I've kept my LoseIt streak up, but my calories and quality of food are pretty shitty (did I eat Cheetos for breakfast while packing them in my son's lunch? yes, yes I did.)  I'm out of my routine so I haven't been drinking water, and the fitness challenge just completely slipped my mind on Monday.

This is all fine, we're doing okay. I just need to keep reminding my brain that having a hard week is not permission to binge eat chocolate. 

On the plus side: I got a new French Press.... and then our coffee grinder stopped working. 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 3

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

1 hour ago, athousandwords said:

did I eat Cheetos for breakfast while packing them in my son's lunch? yes, yes I did

I had to read this three times before I stopped reading that you ate Cheerios for breakfast and couldn't see where the guilt was coming from 😆

Sorry to hear that your Little is sick and you're feeling the stress of it.  You got this.

• Haha 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Oof, that's rough. Crossing my fingers your little recovers quickly and completely and no one else gets sick! And that you get a new grinder, stat! 

💜

• Like 1

Watercolors!

Man sick children is a newfound fear of mine. I love my godchildren but fortunately when they are sick they can go home!

It seems your struggling with water intake. I did as well. What fixed it for me was keeping water bottles right on my desk at work

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2023 at 9:38 AM, cn3wton said:

It seems your struggling with water intake. I did as well. What fixed it for me was keeping water bottles right on my desk at work

My biggest problem is remembering to fill a water bottle. If it's next to me at my desk I definitely drink it. But, for example, I just walked downstairs to refill my coffee cup and didn't even think about filling up a water bottle. I tried to get in the habit of filling my big water bottle when I get my first cup of coffee in the morning - and when I remember, it works great! But I just can't seem to remember to do it more than a couple days in a row - I fall out of the habit completely. 😩

On 12/6/2023 at 11:34 PM, Sovalis said:

Oof, that's rough. Crossing my fingers your little recovers quickly and completely and no one else gets sick! And that you get a new grinder, stat! 

💜

All is well! The little one is better and back in daycare, and we have a new grinder, thanks to 2 day amazon delivery. 

On 12/6/2023 at 4:56 PM, Everstorm said:

I had to read this three times before I stopped reading that you ate Cheerios for breakfast and couldn't see where the guilt was coming from 😆

Sorry to hear that your Little is sick and you're feeling the stress of it.  You got this.

Things are much better this week - thank you!

• Like 2

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE