Rookie Sends her Warmest Regards

2023 was not a great year overall for me... I rang in 2023 already feeling burnt out then I lost 3 big parts of who I am. 

I know it's all about perspective but I have a hard time looking back at 2023 with good feels. So... 2023

Schitts Creek Goodbye GIF by CBC  and Schitts Creek Goodbye GIF by CBC

I have a lot of things to work on going into 2024. Am I in a good mindset for these changes? Absolutely not but I get glimpses of my old self now and again; so there is hope. I will try my best because I am tired feeling the way that I do. My motto right now will be "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." 

2024 Goals

> Overcome the crippling anxiety that's preventing me from trying to get a new job

> Explore what things give me purpose and/or joy

> Enjoy my hobbies again

> Get my health back on track

My vague-ass challenge goals

> reformat resume (again)

> work on online portfolio + coding projects

> go on walks with Winnie (bonus if its a hike)

> start "mentorship" with trimming Daisys hooves

> do things I used to do... paint, horseback ride, visit Daisy, training with Winnie

> attempt to food journal

> less mindless facebook and instagram scrolling

> try to get into Christmas spirit (baking, xmas activities, animal photoshoots, xmas movies, xmas music)

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Here to cheer you on! 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

For things like mindless scrolling it can be very hard to break that habit. Sometimes what can help is setting a timer to limit initial use to say, 5-10 minutes.

Best of luck with your challenge!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

2 hours ago, cn3wton said:

For things like mindless scrolling it can be very hard to break that habit. Sometimes what can help is setting a timer to limit initial use to say, 5-10 minutes.

Best of luck with your challenge!

Thank you, that's a great suggestion. I wasn't really sure how to approach that one. 

9 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Rookie, here for this ❤️ x

Thanks Sal ❤️

12 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Here to cheer you on! 

Thank you Sovalus ♥️

• Like 2

Today I made beef stew for dinner and made enough for my brother and Dad since they've been helping us out with some landscaping work. It's not much but they seem to appreciate it. 

I haven't done anything that sparks joy today but maybe there's still time. 

Tomorrow the hoof trim mentor comes to the barn to help me :) I'm nervous but excited. 

• Like 4

Good luck with the hoof trimming tomorrow!

• Like 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time,

and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Spoiler

christmas tree GIF

Looked for hoof trimming gif, saw this and had to post it HAHA. Best of luck with learning that!

• Haha 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

10 hours ago, cn3wton said:

christmas tree GIF

Looked for hoof trimming gif, saw this and had to post it HAHA. Best of luck with learning that!

Close enough! And it's still relevant to my life because I'm supposed to pick out shrubs for the front of my house and it seems like a big decision and I don't know shrubs. 

------

Hoof trimming went well! She said I actually do quite a good job. Daisy has easy feet and she's mostly patient for me. This was my fastest trim yet. It was nice having someone there to confirm things. 

• Like 5

I haven't done much of anything today. It's gloomy and rainy. I did work with Winnie a bit on controlling her urge to seel bark at my brother 😅 and we worked on a new truck. So hopefully that helped her little brain calm down. My brother finished the inside portion of the reno's. We replaced our side door with a window. It would flood when there was a lot of rain since the door sat below grade. Anyways so he continued our shiplap wall to the other wall and up below the window. He added trim as well. It looks really nice. The outside is looking really nice too. They removed my chaos garden that I struggled to maintain each year and replaced it with grass, a smaller planter and a new patio. They also removed the planter beside our house which was in disrepair and would get overrun with weeds. Plus turns out the tree in it was dead. The changes means I have a lot less weeding to do which is lovely. 

I'm only going to share the door picture right now. I might show the other before and afters when I can block out house numbers. 

Spoiler

PXL_20231201_165237135.thumb.jpg.d12e20220f60f3ad89e7804d72c008dd.jpg

• Like 4

Today I went on a walk with Winnie and inspired by seeing Christmas lights... I attempted to get in the holiday spirit by listening to some Christmas music . I don't think it really reworked lol. But I did have a touch of nostalgia by seeing a star light in someone's window. I used to have one that I'd light up at Christmas and I used to have as little Christmas tree in my room as a kid. 

• Like 4

Today looks to be another day of rain 😬 I have a birthday party to go to later for my nephew then tomorrow our new couch is coming and Monday night we need to bring the old couch to the curb.  

My body is quite muscle sore today. Particularly my hamstrings and the palms of my hands. Which tells me I should probably work on my hand strength. 

• Like 3

Great job crossing off the hoof trimming in Zero Week!

On 11/29/2023 at 3:14 AM, Rookie said:

> less mindless facebook and instagram scrolling

On 11/29/2023 at 3:23 PM, Rookie said:

Thank you, that's a great suggestion. I wasn't really sure how to approach that one. 

I also like using apps to limit/schedule scrolling - it bypasses the motivation requirements. Cold Turkey is a good desktop app with a free version (or a relatively inexpensive one-off payment - as opposed to a subscription - if you want to use a scheduler).

• Like 3

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

Great job crossing off the hoof trimming in Zero Week!

Thank you! I'll probably have her out again in a couple months. 

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

I also like using apps to limit/schedule scrolling - it bypasses the motivation requirements. Cold Turkey is a good desktop app with a free version (or a relatively inexpensive one-off payment - as opposed to a subscription - if you want to use a scheduler).

I'll look into a mobile version. 

• Like 2

I went for a nice walk with Winnie this morning because I knew I'd be out most of the evening. We saw 3 dead salmon and played a bunch of fetch on the rocky beach which is good for her core and balance. I almost wiped out once 😅 gotta love slippy shifting rocks.

The party was alright. I had a nice chat with my SILs friend during the party and about 2hrs I got my social limit. At the end when most people left, I ended up playing some games with my niece which easily turned really annoying when she kept cheating and changing the rules so she would win. Which I called her out on and she tried to stop cheating but I was over it when she started punching and hitting my arm. I love trying to set boundaries with a tired over-stimulated 7 year old 🙄 it goes so well. And now that I'm home I have a puppy who wants to be played with 😂 at least she's cute and fluffy.

Tomorrow our new couch gets delivered so my little check list is:

- move Winnie's crate

- clear spot in garage for current couch

- move current couch to garage

- vacuum place where old couch was

- move shoe rack

Spoiler

IMG_20231202_130247_954.jpg.cef0080506d7bccc9dc3dcdd7f37e2e4.jpg

IMG_20231202_130248_174.jpg.c68c0c4874b4da9ad3ffddbb88d92f0a.jpg

IMG_20231202_130247_882.jpg.6bb37a33df15aacc9728ebd9a3af201c.jpg

IMG_20231202_130248_192.jpg.8bd13460d28eb898deb79a887a6ad33e.jpg

PXL_20231202_172529301_MP.thumb.jpg.dbb01902967fb7d1ec32e686bf9c3fc1.jpgPXL_20231202_171102295_MP.thumb.jpg.a5ed736f4978eb6dfde233700ff8ac61.jpg

Separate spoiler for the dead salmon I found

Spoiler

PXL_20231202_171739347.thumb.jpg.88c8f9b917e21146cd14f8755aff99ee.jpg

PXL_20231202_171025408.thumb.jpg.3b8378078545f0137a583fab297329ad.jpg

PXL_20231202_171032192.thumb.jpg.38098843f64610277b87f1c00c2719a1.jpg

• Like 6

Old couch is in the garage.. Ready to be put out to the curb on garbage day...New couch is in and set up. It's a lot smaller which I'm sad about because Winnie can no longer sit behind my head on my shoulders or at my feet snuggled up. But it's nicer that there's more space to maneuver around it. Plus it looks sharp and feels good. 

I put everything back that we moved. My only other goal for today is to shower. I don't feel like it yet though so I'm playing final fantasy 5. 

• Like 5

On 12/2/2023 at 8:00 PM, Rookie said:

Separate spoiler for the dead salmon I found

I spent the whole first spoiler trying to spot the dead salmon...

• Haha 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time,

and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Whisper said:

I spent the whole first spoiler trying to spot the dead salmon...

My bad! Lol

6 hours ago, Salinger said:

What colour is the new sofa? xx

It's a warm dark grey. I'd take a picture but it's covered with blankets since it's been raining for the past week and we didn't want doggos ruining it right away. 

• Like 2

Not gonna lie my motivation just isn't there today. I put the screws and drill away at least and I moved my car so my dad or brother can park in the driveway. I didn't realize they were coming today because I thought they were working this week. I think they are supposed to come to finish the outside of the house where we removed the door. We kind of made their cutting area in the garage a bit tighter by storing the couches in there but like I said I didn't think they were coming today 😬

I'm going to do laundry tomorrow instead because Mr.R needs the machines today and I didn't want to do it today anyways. 

• Like 3

I didn't want to do it... But I did it... I made dinner! Success.  It helps that it was dead simple. I made chicken fajitas and guacamole. I don't usually make guac with it but my avocados were going bad. 

I also remembered I needed to pick up a bag of Ponchos and get money out of the bank for my lesson. I worked on my art portfolio website because why not. And I helped my dad and brother by being a "gopher" and I helped a tiny bit with installing our new gate. If you aren't familiar with what a gopher is .. It's the person who is sent to go get things  ...go-for lol over the years I've become a very good gopher. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Yesterday was a "not do much" day. I drove Mr.R, went to the store for dinner stuff, put a roast in the slow cooker with carrots and little round potatoes (a slight splurge for me lol), did laundry, went on a small walk with Winnie, reformatted my resume and then sent it to a lady.

Today I have a call with that last after lunch to talk about a potential job position at her company. So I'm planning on going back to sleep if I can warm up then do some prep for the call. 

• Like 3