Harriet of War: Golden Asgardian Runes

Harriet of War

I have been sick a long time, but I choose to believe in recovery and the possibility of a normal life, and that is what I am going to pursue this year. Having recently played and loved God of War 2018, I am taking Kratos, the incredibly tough Spartan warrior from said game, as a model for the next year, because he has the physical strength and character strength that I so badly need.

Each challenge should include habits in the categories of strength, stoicism, spirit work, and structure to help me either heal, or create a life worth living despite illness. There is also a sustenance aspect as I’m always interested in experimenting to see what foods help me feel my best.

Golden Asgardian Runes 

A golden realm high in the sky. Home of the Aesir, great warrior gods, who fight and feast.

Repeated crashes have made a mockery of my workout plans and my study and painting schedules. Kratos would try harder. But if trying harder failed, even he would stop and look for a way under, over, or around. Often, Atraeus helps him through puzzles by reading runes that provide clues. Looking at the Aesir, we can see that they train and fight because they enjoy it, not out of obligation or because it’s on their schedule.This challenge I am going to focus on golden Asgardian sunlight, helpful runes, and enjoyable training.

idun_2.png?resize=675,253&ssl=1

Structure: Bujoic Runes

Since I keep failing strict programs due to crashes, I am going to take it day by day, with bullet journaling as an organisational and mindfulness practice that helps me choose an appropriate level of activity. Hopefully it will keep me from both idleness and overreach.

God_of_War_Ragnar_k_20221018010037.jpg

Strength: Golden Sunlight

I am going to Gran Canaria for a few weeks. It is a perfect opportunity to get some rejuvenating golden sunlight and some enjoyable movement appropriate to my level of energy each day. I have purchased a swimsuit and Mr Harriet insists that I should think only of enjoying myself, and not about whether my legs are too fat to be seen in public. But in the meantime, I will try to get some winter sunlight in Berlin. No matter how dark it seems, there is still massively more light outside than inside.

il_570xN.2847386895_qng0.jpg

Stoicism: Reframing Runes

I have started the habit of beginning each day’s journal entry with three things I am grateful for. I am using this to reframe anything I am feeling anxious or negative about. This should help me maintain an adequate mood.

Gamers-Have-Been-Translating-God-of-War-

Spirit: Prayers to the Aesir

I am hoping to reduce my reactiveness to stress with a daily fifteen minute meditation. It’s long enough to have an effect but not so long I give up. I have already started this habit but I will add in my valediction to an honourable and admirable Aesir deity at the start.

John_Bauer-Tyr_and_Fenrir.jpg

Sustenance: Feast of Heroes

I managed to diet down from my recent highest weight of 75.5kg to about 68kg. But dieting is a stressor, so it’s probably not good to do it all the time. I’m going to test a much higher calorie and carb diet that's meant to be nutrient dense, good for the gut, and good for mitochondrial energy production, based on some different reading and listening I’ve done. I’ll be trying to keep alcohol to a minimum (let’s say once a week) since it’s bad for everything: sleep, gut, anxiety, skin, nutrients.

tumblr_ny8y3qE25L1uhikqxo1_1280.jpg

• Like 5

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Here to cheer you on!

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following  

10 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Ooh, Grant Canaria sounds lovely!  Following!

7 hours ago, Mistr said:

Excellent goals!

I hope you have a great time at the beach!

Mr. Harriet is right, he is the only one who will be paying attention to you. If other people look at you, they will probably be admiring your hair. B) 

Thank you, my lovelies! It's gonna be good for sure. Just a bit more snow before the beach. 

Snow Day Cat GIF

beach day GIF

Beach Party Running GIF by Party Down South

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Friday

Structure: I did the bujoic runes.
Strength: Two shortish walks for some weak winter sunlight and movement. Not feeling like KBs or anything because all my joints hurt for no reason.
Stoicism: I did the reframing runes.

Spirit: I did the valediction and meditation.

Sustenance: My experiment is underway. I picked up some greek cheeses from the greek store. I don't know what they are but the man said they were the same as manouri, which is my second favourite cheese after cheddar and which I asked him for. It's similar to a firm ricotta (not that watery, smeary stuff in containers). The stupid thing is this is one of my favourite ever foods (the similar new one is equally good), and I haven't bought it until now because I was too shy to go into the greek store. For, like, years. So I could only have the cheese occasionally when Mr Harriet would go in. What foolishness! Anyway, now that I've gone twice I can go more often. I also grabbed some dried figs that were sitting near the counter and were signed "recent harvest" or something to that effect. "Neue Ernte". They are kinda semi dried. 

I also painted a little. I took @cn3wton's advice to focus on the process, not the outcome, and watched a YouTube video first to get some ideas about what I could try. I couldn't help not liking the outcome, though. I definitely need to practice the mindset. 

• Like 6

You get points to Courage for going into the Greek store to get your favorite cheese. I bet the Greek staff members appreciate you speaking German slowly and clearly.

I often like the process of art more than the outcome. I feel the same way about fiber arts, calligraphy and watercolor painting. I use a fountain pen for my log notebook because I enjoy the flow and color of the ink. I recently made a set of crocheted cacti from a kit. I have no desire at all for cute stuffed cacti, but they were fun to make. I will give them to someone who will enjoy them. The process is much more fun than the outcome.

I feel differently about sewing. I can do it, but only when I actually want the result. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Yay, God of War again! 

Really great ideas :) I hope you'll enjoy yourself and keep your anxiety down. 

Do you recommend any nice places to enjoy sunshine in Berlin? :)

Gran Canaria sounds awesome! I hated beach holiday when I was younger, but now I love it. I really enjoy swimming in the sea and some water attractions, last time I tried parasailing, it was awesome! But I never sunbathe, I still hate it and don't see a point. 

I did write such grateful statements some time ago, it felt helpful at that time. 

Congrats on the weight loss! 

• Thanks 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Here to follow your adventures, Harriet!! 💜

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Public beaches are like the gym... everyone is too busy to worry about how they look to pay attention to anyone else. ;)  Remember to pack your SPF!

And the greek cheese sounds absolutely divine. Similar to manouri, was it? Manouri is super tasty on dark break with olives on the side. :) 

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

On 12/1/2023 at 3:55 PM, Everstorm said:

Well done gathering your 15 seconds to go into the unfamiliar store.  I feel the same way about going into the Asian market.  It feels like a whole thing to get nori (sushi wraps).

Thanks! Yeah I don't know what causes the inertia with even slightly unfamiliar things, but it's definitely a phenomenon. But imagine if you could break the surface tension, go to the shop regularly, and then have nori on the regular... 

22 hours ago, Mistr said:

You get points to Courage for going into the Greek store to get your favorite cheese. I bet the Greek staff members appreciate you speaking German slowly and clearly.

Thanks! I would appreciate it if they would speak German slowly and clearly, too, lol. 

22 hours ago, Mistr said:

I often like the process of art more than the outcome. I feel the same way about fiber arts, calligraphy and watercolor painting. I use a fountain pen for my log notebook because I enjoy the flow and color of the ink. I recently made a set of crocheted cacti from a kit. I have no desire at all for cute stuffed cacti, but they were fun to make. I will give them to someone who will enjoy them. The process is much more fun than the outcome.

I feel differently about sewing. I can do it, but only when I actually want the result. 

Agreed with sewing and knitting. I definitely don't like the process of sewing, I only wanted the outcomes, and that's why I never practiced enough to get good outcomes. 

19 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Yay, God of War again! 

Yeah it's the theme for the year! Although relaxing on the beach isn't very warlike, so it may be a bit of a stretch, as a theme.

Really great ideas :) I hope you'll enjoy yourself and keep your anxiety down. 

Thank you!

Do you recommend any nice places to enjoy sunshine in Berlin? :)

Berlin? No, lol. But seriously, if there's sun anywhere there's sun everywhere, so the question is more are there any nice spots near you, and you know that better than I do. I just walk in the park near my house.

Gran Canaria sounds awesome! I hated beach holiday when I was younger, but now I love it. I really enjoy swimming in the sea and some water attractions, last time I tried parasailing, it was awesome! But I never sunbathe, I still hate it and don't see a point. 

Yes, I was also a sun avoider because I don't cope well with heat. But since reading a bit more about it I'm convinced of the benefits of sun exposure, so I am going to try to cultivate healthy enjoyment of it.

18 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Here to follow your adventures, Harriet!! 💜

Thank you and welcome!!!

18 hours ago, Alanna said:

giphy.gif

Exit Strategy Cat GIF

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Public beaches are like the gym... everyone is too busy to worry about how they look to pay attention to anyone else. ;)  Remember to pack your SPF!

I hope so! And I shall! I have a Korean one that doesn't sting or so anything else disagreeable. 

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

And the greek cheese sounds absolutely divine. Similar to manouri, was it? Manouri is super tasty on dark break with olives on the side. :) 

I don't really eat bread, I just transfer the cheese directly into my face. But olives sound like a good companion.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Saturday

Strength: I did a walk to collect the sunlight.

Sustenance: Beef patties, fruit, greek cheese, honey, sweet potato, home made coconut jelly with more fruit, and matcha tea. After a few days of not having alcohol, I tend to forget about it, which is great.

I watched an art video and did a little painting where I tried to focus on enjoying the process.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Sunday

Strength: I did a short walk to get some light.

Stoicism: I did the reframing/gratitude runes.

I am really tired recently. I skipped my appointed chores and slept in the middle of the day. But I also did some painting.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Harriet, found you ❤️ 

Have a beautiful start to a new week xx

Hello there! Welcome to Asgard!

• That's Metal 1

Monday

Strength: I went out for the infusion, which counted as my walks. 

Got the fourth infusion today. The doctor had me drink a tall glass of water first, and we took some time getting the position right. It worked; only one jab this time instead of seven. And no pain. Feeling okay this arvo though I feel like I'm recovering from something this week. I did some cleaning to advance the cat sitting preparation project. I also did some painting. And knitting. I bought yarn for the holiday and started a new project with two coloured brioche. 

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Yay fewer pokes and less pain!!

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yay for one injection and no pain! And for nearly holidaying! How're you finding the daily checking in rather than the 'challenge' vibe?

• Like 2

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40