Okay... so I thought I was going to do a Crock Pot challenge. Still will, don't even need to research it (going to taste all the good food this month that was suggested on the previous challenge chat). I'm making them all, because wowza on the recommendations. 

I however started to do research today for the Red Moon side challenge... 

Spoiler

I have been dealing with severe period  cramps my whole life (having to call off work because of the pain), The last year has been one of the top worst since my early teens. I'm starting the process to get help with the medical field (make sure everything is good..as I'm thinking I might have undiagnosed endometriosis that I hope to get verified). 

To top it off my period cycles gets fudged up whenever I work on weight loss... yay. So I'm looking for anything to help me with relief especially as I feel the PMS starting to come... 

I ended up finding an article that went in detail in a way I haven't seen before, and found matching results as I looked up similar terms. Recommendation to do a Plant-based high fiber and low oil eating. 

Damn.... this research wasn't what I expected. 

I have never taken a serious trial to this way of eating. 

So I will be starting to make the blocks.... Like what will I eat? 

Trying to figure out the new grounds as I use up food I have and probably meal plan ect. We are  an area of diet changes I have never tried before but hoping to mull somethings over before the new year.  

• Like 2

On a Retreat until June 17, 2024... Look forward to seeing you on the other side!

3 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Okay... so I thought I was going to do a Crock Pot challenge. Still will, don't even need to research it (going to taste all the good food this month that was suggested on the previous challenge chat). I'm making them all, because wowza on the recommendations. 

I look forward to reading your report on the Spanish chicken dish.

Spoiler

Deep condolences on your monthly torture. I'm glad you're seeking medical help and I hope you get what you need. Don't let anyone try to tell you that "some women just have heavier periods" or "cramps are normal" or any other bullshit like that, regardless of who they are and what their degree is in. To be forced to put your life on hold once a month while you ride out the red storm is not normal. Stare them down and demand respect. Channel your inner offended cat if you have to.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Here to follow and support. And second what Scaly said. Advocate for yourself with dedication. 💜

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Following along!

Glad to have you!

21 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I look forward to reading your report on the Spanish chicken dish.

Reveal hidden contents

Deep condolences on your monthly torture. I'm glad you're seeking medical help and I hope you get what you need. Don't let anyone try to tell you that "some women just have heavier periods" or "cramps are normal" or any other bullshit like that, regardless of who they are and what their degree is in. To be forced to put your life on hold once a month while you ride out the red storm is not normal. Stare them down and demand respect. Channel your inner offended cat if you have to.

Will be the one I try this weekend!

Spoiler

Aww monthly torture, that is literally what it is. And 100% why I would say weight loss causing a 2nd monthly one would want to be avoided... 

And yes! I realize I had a bad experience with 1 Obgyn (the first one in my small town).  And another doctor or 2 saying it was related to my nutrition... all before the age of 18. Now 10+ years later ready for the long fight. 

12 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

Here to follow and support. And second what Scaly said. Advocate for yourself with dedication. 💜

Glad to have you here and thank you!

On a Retreat until June 17, 2024... Look forward to seeing you on the other side!

So this week has been a long one...  I have worked 20+ hours of detailed cleaning (more than I do for my home >.>  and now NEED to after what I saw). Some good learning I went through and the cash will be nice. I am ordering myself no screen time after work and an early bedtime. As I even have some work to show up to tomorrow... 

Goals for this weekend: Cleaning the basics (laundry/dishes/living room for movement). I hope to cook 1 crock pot meal, figure out  a plant based breakfast. (Realize that might be enough... but will see). 

I also need to make a toolbox for the Red moon. Gather foods/treats and have what I need in one place (I just want to be ready as last month was mild but exhausting). 

If I have enough rest I will be working on organizing my kitchen. My coach gave me a recipe packets for recipes... so printing out that cookbook (even has meal plans with the shopping list!) I know I can find recipes, it will be 100% the adjustment to stop buying meat products and processed foods. I need to find a place for everything. 

Right now I have decided I will not be buying pop or energy drinks (something I fell back on). I however will be stocking up on my k-cup coffee, bubbly waters and buying local tea (found a local tea company that sells at a local coffee shop... just need to get all the parts together). 

Oh well happy weekend all!

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

1 hour ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Glad to have you!

Hide contents

Aww monthly torture, that is literally what it is. And 100% why I would say weight loss causing a 2nd monthly one would want to be avoided... 

And yes! I realize I had a bad experience with 1 Obgyn (the first one in my small town).  And another doctor or 2 saying it was related to my nutrition... all before the age of 18. Now 10+ years later ready for the long fight. 

Spoiler

Yeah, those doctors were assholes. I'm glad you're in a better situation and able to take this fight on now. Good luck to you!

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Spoiler

Wtf.... I bought chocolate and my lovely body started the red storm. 

New name, fits it better. 

Upside I have no plans except a regular meeting. I will only pit energy toward taking care of myself. 

For self care I might instacart my groceries as I work on laundry as needed. 

I ran the dishwasher before taking a nap before work... 

Today I tried a new restaurant with bf, it was Nepalese. Simple but hit the spot of warm food that options was vegan and a quiet atmosphere to talk in (felt like a coffee shop honestly). I had 5 beans stew with a bread called roti. I could have ordered more fun foods but desire the higher fiber options (my brain literally went this is a nice beef chili... when it was 100% vegan.)

• Like 3

Spoiler

I have also struggled with severe dysmenorrhea (the medical term for sever menstrual cramps regardless of cause) since puberty, with cramps so bad they frequently caused vomiting.  It's not quite as bad since childbirth, but still not great.  I discovered this year -- after 30+ years of popping ibuprofen like tic tacs -- that ginger does wonders for alleviating my cramps.  Ginger root tea works fastest, but even candied ginger will do the trick.  I use this recipe to make both at home, and it keeps for months in the fridge.  

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

7 hours ago, Everstorm said:
  Hide contents

I have also struggled with severe dysmenorrhea (the medical term for sever menstrual cramps regardless of cause) since puberty, with cramps so bad they frequently caused vomiting.  It's not quite as bad since childbirth, but still not great.  I discovered this year -- after 30+ years of popping ibuprofen like tic tacs -- that ginger does wonders for alleviating my cramps.  Ginger root tea works fastest, but even candied ginger will do the trick.  I use this recipe to make both at home, and it keeps for months in the fridge.  

Spoiler

Thank you, I will be picking up ginger tea when I'm out and about. And see abou making the candy you have suggested. Tea helps but honestly I haven't figured out a way to make it feel like self-care. 

I've heard of the medical term, but honestly just angry on why there isn't a better term than the slurrs that are out there. 

Due to just how bad I feel today. I am  going to have to side step the crock pot quest.

I honestly want just some body relief, my doomscrolling is starting to bring up videos on "food is healing".  I already do this for my cats since day 1 of adopting them it is my turn to follow through. 

I am having to breath through taking care of myself as I try to get ready for the week. 

I have felt worst honestly in past months, I just don't like how quickly my weekend escaped me. 

• Sad 3

@Everstorm I ended up finding ginger candy and ginger tea last night. I can honestly say idk if it helped. But it was nice to find something else to add to my monthly care box (currently Hu chocolate bars fill a spot). 

---

I put together recipes in a binder that I gathered last week. Chose 5, moved them to the front with a list of the list of recipes. I than wrote out the grocery list, than did a quick apartment check and rewrote it to make the grocery store trip faster. The idea that when I make the recipes I will slash through and say "ingredients used". A concept I read in BudgetBytes 2 week free meal plan. Instead of monitoring ALL the ingredients just worry about the dishes you want to make. 

1st recipe I made was banana berry oatmeal. I personally don't care of banana cooked in anything except banana bread. I had RIPE bananas that I froze and thawed this morning. Found out the recipe is having oatmeal soak up the banana as a main liquid with a little water (let it sit for awhile) and then add peanut butter/nuts and fruit. I had it for lunch and honestly shocked by the flavor index (like dessert) and how I'm not crazy hungry for eating a single serving.  10 star recipe, as I used berries from a pre-made berry bowl and pecans for the nuts. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Hmmm...I wonder if the preparation makes a difference?  Or the concentration?

Wanted to apologize for my wording as I was really tired and grumpy. 

What I meant to say it was nice to have a different variety and I may have had the pin 90% managed. I will be keeping both candy and tea on me for next storm. 

I found this last year tea in itself is a magical relief especially at times when the mess wouldn't quite kick in or I was getting sick off of meds. 

My personal tool box of pain management: a good heating pad, hot tea, dark chocolate, and cats.

---

Relieved 90% of my pain is gone, dealing with caffiene withdrawal more than any other pain. Found a white tea packet that helped this morning when I made chickpea scramble recipe for breakfast. A breakfast with a learning curve but was a nice veggies filled breakfast.  Will make again due to enjoy making it. 

Right now with the 2 dishes I tried I am surprised how satisfied I feel. Fills a level of satiation I haven't felt in awhile which could just be the amount of fiber fills a box. 

• Like 4

On 12/5/2023 at 2:15 PM, Loveable_Bouncer said:

My personal tool box of pain management: a good heating pad, hot tea, dark chocolate, and cats.

Some people find gentle movement to be helpful, but I know it can be super hard to move at all when in so much pain..

Fingers crossed that the new diet can bring you some relief. :) 

On 12/5/2023 at 2:15 PM, Loveable_Bouncer said:

chickpea scramble recipe

This sounds nice, what else does it entail besides chick peas? :D 

• Like 1

Challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,1617

3 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Some people find gentle movement to be helpful, but I know it can be super hard to move at all when in so much pain..

Fingers crossed that the new diet can bring you some relief. :) 

Oh yes movement. I do try to bring in movement when I can (and it does help...). Just starting is the hardest part. 

4 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

This sounds nice, what else does it entail besides chick peas? :D 

Lol... it is a Sautee of onions garlic before adding in mashed chickpeas that are seasoned with turmeric, paprika and pepper/salt. On a bed of a sauteed spinach ( a whole bag of 8 ox). 

• Like 2

And speaking of movement, I'm joining @Jarric to a Squatmas Advent Calendar. Since I will not be squatting 50 reps on Christmas day... I will be doing squats and counter top pushups daily for the day (before I can have my coffee). 

I have to catch up 2,3 and 5. But that will be caught up as I gain  my energy back. 

Has me thinking of keeping dice in my kitchen for rolling reps or an exercise when I want a snack or a 2nd cup of coffee.... Get those movement snacks in one way or another. Especially as I am rereading the article and it brings up "lowering caffeine content". 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

On 12/4/2023 at 1:39 PM, Loveable_Bouncer said:

1st recipe I made was banana berry oatmeal. I personally don't care of banana cooked in anything except banana bread. I had RIPE bananas that I froze and thawed this morning. Found out the recipe is having oatmeal soak up the banana as a main liquid with a little water (let it sit for awhile) and then add peanut butter/nuts and fruit. I had it for lunch and honestly shocked by the flavor index (like dessert) and how I'm not crazy hungry for eating a single serving.  10 star recipe, as I used berries from a pre-made berry bowl and pecans for the nuts. 

Can you share? I love oatmeal and I have some ripe bananas in the freezer to use up!

2 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Has me thinking of keeping dice in my kitchen for rolling reps or an exercise when I want a snack or a 2nd cup of coffee.... Get those movement snacks in one way or another. Especially as I am rereading the article and it brings up "lowering caffeine content". 

This is such a fun idea! I'm so guilty of those 3rd... 4th... cups of coffee. This would be a neat way to tack on some movement.

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

CURRENT CHALLENGE

37 minutes ago, athousandwords said:

Can you share? I love oatmeal and I have some ripe bananas in the freezer to use up!

1 ripe banana, 1/2 c of oats 3 tbsp. of water - let sit for 10 mins after mixing together. Add favorite fruit, nut butter and nuts/seeds. You can batch the above to how many bananas you want to use (I personally have limited ripe bananas but wowza these were amazing with thawed bananas... and the unappeal of a freshly thawed banana says something to me about this). 

I've been keeping the nut butter and nuts to equal 1 serving (30 g of fat when I measure out). since my goal is to have lower fat content but getting the nutrients. I'm using one of those "pure peanut butter" and it is perfect in this dish (while awful for a peanut butter sandwich). I do fill up the bowl with another cup of fruit  because that's how I like it.... (and 50 calories in a cup of strawberries is nothing lol)

I am shocked by how long this dish holds me over. My usually breakfast was 2 servings of breakfast sausage and 1 banana with my coffee/creamer. Barely lasted until 9 am most days.... 

I can now get to 11:30 am (from my 6 am breakfast). 

47 minutes ago, athousandwords said:

This is such a fun idea! I'm so guilty of those 3rd... 4th... cups of coffee. This would be a neat way to tack on some movement.

Yes, the article actually said no caffeine....  I had a caffeine headache after only 48 hours of no caffeine I'm going to deal with other things on the list before I tackle this addiction.  Having a few seconds of movement will help me figure out if "I actually need it". 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

the unappeal of a freshly thawed banana

2 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Frozen bananas are definitely best used for baking or smoothies and not as plain fruit.  *shudders*

Now that I think about it, it's actually surprising that freshly thawed bananas don't make more frequent appearances in horror movies or TV shows with gratuitous torture sequences....

• Haha 4

"Look out! I've got a freshly thawed banana and I'm not afraid to use it!"

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47kohatku3tv4ofaayzl

• Haha 4

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

19 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

And speaking of movement, I'm joining @Jarric to a Squatmas Advent Calendar. Since I will not be squatting 50 reps on Christmas day... I will be doing squats and counter top pushups daily for the day (before I can have my coffee). 

I have to catch up 2,3 and 5. But that will be caught up as I gain  my energy back. 

I was all caught up on this, then I forgot yesterday. So need to do 6 and 7 today.

The dice and an exercise table sounds like a great idea. I bet you can find a pre-made rolling table somewhere like Darebee as well.

4 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Oh yeah have, have you?

Interested Kevin Nash GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

15 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Frozen bananas are definitely best used for baking or smoothies and not as plain fruit.  *shudders*

Really glad I'm not the only one. 

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Now that I think about it, it's actually surprising that freshly thawed bananas don't make more frequent appearances in horror movies or TV shows with gratuitous torture sequences....

Seriously, I think this is the first time in my life I've encountered thawing out the banana if I froze it in the peel...

4 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47kohatku3tv4ofaayzl

Thank you for the morning laugh!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I was all caught up on this, then I forgot yesterday. So need to do 6 and 7 today.

The dice and an exercise table sounds like a great idea. I bet you can find a pre-made rolling table somewhere like Darebee as well.

Oh fun, I was able to do my 7 this morning before break out the coffee. Glad I can do squats in a row, but am pushing the numbers of pushups where I have to take a break. 

Found out Darebee has a printable dice, and I remember seeing others over the years making their own charts. I have a feeling in the new year I will finding out what I like to do for exercises in this prompt. 

• Like 2

That moment when you go "I will only eat plant-based when I go out to eat". I found out my favorite coffee shop is attracting vegan vedors for pop-ups. Upside for my budget I can't reach most of these due to them being during my work day. Have a bunch of small companies to follow now... 

I have Christmas figured out for myself - Whole Foods heat up vegan Christmas dinner and hit up a vegan vendor had local coffee shop on the 23rd (if I don't receive enough sweets beforehand). (My plans are to stay home rest, and work on my home). 

I have another retreat on the 16th, a friend and I are staying at a hotel again but I realized I will be needing to pack more food this time around... Vegan options are scarce down there and the city will be busy due to Christmas Lights event. Upside I'm meal prepping every day and won't be working as much as I did the last retreat. 

The retreat has been delayed due to interest... yay! I can rest at home that day :) 

• Like 3