I enjoy this time of year. I love all the lights, and singing Christmas carols, and parties, and gifts. But it is busier, so I'm keeping it simple.

Goal 1: Get dressed first thing in the morning before I head out to the kitchen 

Goal 2: Read my Bible at least a bit before I look at other screens

Also: I'm not super happy with my fluff right now, as I have too much. But, right now is not the time to cut. I'm just going to focus on my eating skills and being mindful. The thing I'm going to super focus on this holiday season:

1) After I finish eating a treat  just sit a few moments and think about how I feel ( usually that I want MORE)

2) Finding a fun distraction for a few moments, most likely a word game on my phone

3) Going and doing the next thing  and waiting at least 15 minutes before   getting seconds

I'm working on this skill, but I don't know how much I will write about it here. Keeping the list of things I'm require myself to post helps me not put off posting. I'll probably say something about it sporadically though. 

My Christmas happy: My husband put up Christmas lights downstairs. And we have a tree downstairs, so it is a lovely spot to workout in.

christmas lights twinkling GIF

• Like 11

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hello! I almost always get dressed first thing in the morning because I have to go feed animals, but on the rare occasion I get to lounge in my pjs a little longer, it's amazing how much time can go by while I sip some coffee and how hard it can be to get moving with the rest of the day.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Here to cheer! 

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

Have a lovely, glowing and joyful Christmas season! And good luck with the eating skills.

Thanks. And wishing you a glowing, joyful Christmas season.

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. 

Hi, glad you are here.

15 hours ago, cn3wton said:

happy holiday season! Following.

Glad you are here, and wishing you a happy holiday season.

13 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Hello! I almost always get dressed first thing in the morning because I have to go feed animals, but on the rare occasion I get to lounge in my pjs a little longer, it's amazing how much time can go by while I sip some coffee and how hard it can be to get moving with the rest of the day.

Yep,agreed

12 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Love the getting dressed goal.  It gives a different feel to the morning for sure.

When I was a homeschooling mom,I always got dressed before we started the day. As an empty nester, not so much.

6 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Here to cheer! 

Thanks

• Like 4

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 12/1/2023 at 4:07 AM, Elastigirl said:

My Christmas happy: My husband put up Christmas lights downstairs. And we have a tree downstairs, so it is a lovely spot to workout in.

That sounds so lovely! :) 

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Today

Got dressed  right away: yes

Read Bible before screens: yes

DId my workout. I also did 2 15 min walk along videos, one after lunch, one after dinner.  I'm shooting for about 30 minutes of rowing or walking. With the extra mobility and it being winter, I think that is a good number to shoot for. 

I wasn't so happy with my eating today. I had bought some gluten free brownies for game night over the weekend. The plan was today to eat one and freeze the other two. But then I talked myself into just eating them both. And I was snacking on other stuff around the house too. Just sort of , it's dark and dreary I need sugar sort of emotional eating. There was good balanced meals in there too, just more sugar than my body needs.  And note to self: It made me feel better for like 10 minutes and then I was hit with a sugar slump. So, no body, it doesn't really give me energy. 

My new dumbbells arrived this evening. Tomorrow's workout I can play with them!

• Like 7

New dumbbells, that's exciting!

I am very familiar with the cycle of "snacking will make me feel better - Oh wait, no it didn't - perhaps more snacking will help." Wishing you success in convincing your body that is not true. 

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

On 12/5/2023 at 3:30 AM, Artemis Prime said:

New dumbbells, that's exciting!

I am very familiar with the cycle of "snacking will make me feel better - Oh wait, no it didn't - perhaps more snacking will help." Wishing you success in convincing your body that is not true. 

Yep, I threw out the sugared nuts that were contributing to the issue, so that helped.  They were sort of expensive ( as most things are now) so it bothered me to throw them, but otherwise I was going to lose that battle

On 12/5/2023 at 4:53 AM, cn3wton said:

yay new dumbbells!

Arnold Schwarzenegger Reaction GIF

Give me a couple of weeks, and I'm sure I will look just like Arnold.😉

On 12/5/2023 at 8:22 AM, Silmarilliane said:

Following but need to do some catch up!

Don't worry if you can't catch up,  it's pretty much just the same stuff as usual

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh new toys! What kind of training are you doing these days?

I'm doing Brett  Contreras Strong Curves program. Mainly centered around growing your glutes.It's dumbbell and bodyweight, though I've used kettlebells for a lot of it. And I have a mobility program which is designed to do before and after your workout.

• Like 3

As I told Artemis,  the main thing I was tempted to  snack on was the sugared nuts. I threw them out. There weren't that many. They were sort of expensive, so  the throwing out thing bothered me. My plan was to save them for Christmas eve. But, yeah, they were going to be eaten (by me mainly) before then.

Also, I was thinking about Eating Skills. One of the skills Josh Hillis has you work on, is to eat according to your values. Pick a few values that you want to focus on, and use that to steer your eating. I was thinking about contentment. When I eat something sugary, or even just super  tasty, as soon as I finish I want more. I had already decided I was going to delay having seconds. I want to work on my  value of contentment. Being satisfied with what I have eaten. and just learning to be content and not always seeking for more. 

Worked out yesterday, and did a row. Today was rest day , so I did some stretching and an indoor walk.

I also have been getting dressed first thing, and reading my Bible before looking at screen.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Give me a couple of weeks, and I'm sure I will look just like Arnold.😉

1973 Arnold, or 2023 Arnold? 😅😇🤣

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Also, I was thinking about Eating Skills. One of the skills Josh Hillis has you work on, is to eat according to your values. Pick a few values that you want to focus on, and use that to steer your eating. I was thinking about contentment. When I eat something sugary, or even just super  tasty, as soon as I finish I want more. I had already decided I was going to delay having seconds. I want to work on my  value of contentment. Being satisfied with what I have eaten. and just learning to be content and not always seeking for more. 

That is similar to how I have started to approach food. Eating with a goal in mind. I am eating X because it does Y for me. Not just "I eat because I need to and its tasty!"

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

They were sort of expensive, so  the throwing out thing bothered me.

I struggle with this too - I think there was a NF article at some point where they threw away a big bag of sweets and I was like that's such a waste. But now I think of it more like, if I throw the food or eat the food, it's making waste either way, in the bin or the loo, and the latter means I've absorbed unnecessary calories :D Obv if I can give the food to someone who wants/needs it I'll try that, but my new mentality makes a lot of difference in restaurants and the like.

• Like 2

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

11 minutes ago, Silmarilliane said:

I struggle with this too - I think there was a NF article at some point where they threw away a big bag of sweets and I was like that's such a waste. But now I think of it more like, if I throw the food or eat the food, it's making waste either way, in the bin or the loo, and the latter means I've absorbed unnecessary calories :D Obv if I can give the food to someone who wants/needs it I'll try that, but my new mentality makes a lot of difference in restaurants and the like.

I try to remind myself with the mantra "My waist line is not a waste bin".  When I remember,  that is.  I am also guilty of trying to eat up the food so it won't go to waste.

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

2 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I am also guilty of trying to eat up the food so it won't go to waste.

I heard somewhere that doing this apparently averages to an extra 13 pounds per year! 😵

When I started my weight loss journey in 2018, this is one of the things I stopped doing. If the kids had leftovers, I tossed them.

I don't anymore. Tossing perfectly good food still feels like a waste...

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

want to work on my  value of contentment. Being satisfied with what I have eaten. and just learning to be content and not always seeking for more. 

This is an excellent insight. I shall have to ponder on this for a bit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

1973 Arnold, or 2023 Arnold? 😅😇🤣

The 73 one, though last time I saw a pic of him, he still looks pretty good.😀

14 hours ago, cn3wton said:

That is similar to how I have started to approach food. Eating with a goal in mind. I am eating X because it does Y for me. Not just "I eat because I need to and its tasty!"

There are some times when I eat because it is tasty, but the most part I try to keep it balanced( protein, carbs, veggies)

13 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

I'm usually pretty good at throwing away sweets. But the candied nuts tricked me into keeping them. I think it is that I love them so much. I usually send stuff like that home with my son, but he was going out of town.

13 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I try to remind myself with the mantra "My waist line is not a waste bin".  When I remember,  that is.  I am also guilty of trying to eat up the food so it won't go to waste.

Exactly

13 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I heard somewhere that doing this apparently averages to an extra 13 pounds per year! 😵

When I started my weight loss journey in 2018, this is one of the things I stopped doing. If the kids had leftovers, I tossed them.

I don't anymore. Tossing perfectly good food still feels like a waste...

Yeah, it's hard. But sometimes it's necessary.

3 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

This is an excellent insight. I shall have to ponder on this for a bit.

It has proven helpful. Just taking a moment to realize that  yes I do want more, but being thankful for what I had and sitting in that contenment

• Like 4

I didn't get dressed first thing. Hubby was sick  with a cold ,so he stayed home, and was still in bed when I got home. I did my workout. Used my new dumbells!  The plan was to go up in weights, more than the kettlebell I had. But today I used the same as what the kettlebell had been, just to get used to  the different feel.  It's been raining all day, so I did a rowing zone 2 workout.

Gargled with saltwater, took some zinc and Quercitin, in hopes of warding off hubby' germs.

• Like 5