A whimper or a roar [sylph]

Not sure how I'll end this year, but the year will end.

I've basically let fitness fall to the wayside for the last... 6? 8? more? months. I feel gross and sloppy and weak and I don't like it at all. Challenges have been absent, basic token activities, or mostly failures.

I've also been in a weird kind of mood funk. Not quite depression, but some kind of malaise where I'm feeling listless and strange. I'm guessing exercise endorphins will help raise my baseline mood and perhaps help me jostle loose from this. Maybe it won't but at least it'll make me feel like I'm doing something.

So what is that something? I don't know, really, but it needs to be more than I'm doing now. Here's some kind of rough goal list

• 3 workouts (of any kind) per week. It doesn't have to involve weights or be any particular length to count. Anything is better than nothing, which is what I'm doing now.
  • 3 walks per week--though this won't be as simple as it has been in the past due to a sketchy character that's been trespassing in my neighborhood/harassing my neighbor which makes walking alone in the area a bit of a dodgy proposition. Maybe I'll recruit hubs for an early evening walk instead. Double bonus of some togetherness if I go that route.
  • Less alcohol consumption. I've tried and failed this several times over various challenges; it doesn't seem to stick.

I'll either make these goals or I won't. Whether I succeed or fail is not terribly important to me this time around. The value is in the struggle. In trying again. In standing up one more time.

This year is almost over

cary elwes 80s movies GIF

Let's go.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, sylph said:

The value is in the struggle. In trying again. In standing up one more time.

Yes. I am *knock on wood* currently on a very good string of challenges, and I think it's largely because I've let go of the idea of "failing" a challenge. Being here is an automatic win, no matter what else happens.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

50 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Yes. I am *knock on wood* currently on a very good string of challenges, and I think it's largely because I've let go of the idea of "failing" a challenge. Being here is an automatic win, no matter what else happens.

In the not so recent past, I dismissed that attitude as being too soft or easy. Apparently I've shifted that mentality..

Hey! I lifted weights yesterday.

• Squats
  • Bench press
  • Good mornings
  • DB Fly
  • DB Rows

Nothing too excessive weights-wise, blew through that in about an hour.

Also swept the garage gym a bit in between sets.

No walk.

No alcohol.

DOMS has started its gentle nudging this morning. We'll see how bad it gets. :)

I expected the extra activity to make it easier to fall asleep last night. Nope. Brain was on, sleep came late, so I'm feeling it a bit today. Perhaps there will be time for a nap later.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1
42 minutes ago, sylph said:

I lifted weights

Good job!  Keep it up!

• Like 1

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

On 12/4/2023 at 10:29 PM, sylph said:

In the not so recent past, I dismissed that attitude as being too soft or easy. Apparently I've shifted that mentality..

I’m mostly there too, but I wonder if the reason why it’s so hard to post is that there’s still a bit of “well what’s the point of soft challenges or challenges that will fail anyway” thinking 🤔 

anyway yay for lifting!

No lift

No walk

No alcohol

Evening walks are rough to squeeze in in the winter, when the sun goes down so soon after the workday.  Maybe after I drive up to the post office I'll do a couple laps around the subdivision. I haven't seen sketchy dude in about a week, and staying within the neighborhood loop should be fine--it's only a half mile around, but a couple laps close by is better than nothing, or better than a longer, more far-reaching walk where I have low/mid level anxiety about someone jumping out of a bush and assaulting me for no reason.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ugggh having a sketchy dude lurking is so unpleasant. When I was at uni there was a serial rapist in my neighbourhood for a week or two before he got caught which was really unsettling. Luckily my guy friends insisted on chaperoning me everywhere. Hope he goes away soon.

It just leaves an unsettled feeling all around.

He lives less than a mile from here, so not likely to actually go away, unfortunately.

-----

Wednesday evening was our HOA meeting where we talked about sketchy dude, amongst other things.

The meeting place is just about half a mile from our house, so hubs and I walked over and back, which counts as walk 2.

Yesterday... happened? I have no idea where the day went after work, but apparently I did something or at least existed in some fashion.

Current tally

1 Lift (perhaps I will address this today)

2 Walk

0 Alcohol

I do need to get to the grocery store, probably tomorrow. The last couple nights, dinner has been a choose-your-own-adventure event with each of us scrounging something or other to eat. Less than ideal.