spezzy is a korok

Hello friends! 

I'm back after a short little break! I've taken the last 2 months or so away from focusing on health and fitness goals so I could prioritize other things and take some space to figure out some bigger picture life stuff for me, and that ended up working out really well and was exactly what I needed. 

So, two big focuses/realizations came from this break, described in (too much) detail below:

1) I'm doing too much

2) I'm a korok

Background:

#1 I'm doing too much

butter-scraped.gif

A few big things going on: 

a) We discovered a low-level carbon monoxide leak. It's been fixed, but was likely going on for a long time and likely a big part in our health issues since we moved here.  1.5 years of carbon monoxide poisoning isn't something you just magically feel better the next day from, so the dr's rec has been to take it easy. I also have a *lot* of doctor's appointments coming up for unrelated things, so just a lot of health stuff taking up brainspace and time. 

b) I renegotiated my role at NF and instead of having a role in every single department, I'm now just a coach. (And, of course, these forums, but that's my own time :)) . We've been working on this transition and all the details around it slowly for the last few months, and it's finally complete. 

This is very exciting because it means I can focus on the thing I love the most (clients), without getting pulled in a million directions, and I really feel that the singular focus will allow me to grow and develop into a better coach (this was the result I asked for out of the renegotiating my role :)). For the last 12 years I've been trying to figure out how to keep up to date with programming, project management, product development, tech support, automations, running live sessions, content, etc., on top of coaching, which is just too much for one person to do, let alone in the time that was allocated for it. 

I also have complete freedom of schedule with this new role so that will make a huge difference. 

c) I've committed to 0 new projects for a while around the house or the farm, and we're going to focus on optimizing what we are doing/have/etc., as well as relaxing. 

#2: Spezzy is a Korok

tumblr_ptbevcThAA1tj9najo1_1280.gif

If we look back at the periods of time when I've been the happiest and healthiest, they're times when I'm spending significant time outside. I grew up on a small farm in the woods, and loved being outside, and then started struggling a lot more when I got a desk job and had to be inside from 9-6 every day. When I was spending hours in the gym, it was either in Texas where I was outside all the time *and* the gyms often had big windows/garage doors open, making them open air, or was doing strongman/crossfit outside.  In Manitoba, in the winter I made a point to walk 2x a day because I knew it was a necessity and filled my office with as many plants as I could, and now that I'm back in the darkness of new england, I've been finding myself skipping workouts and other things just to optimize the amount of time I am able to just be outside during the day - and why would I want to be in the gym if I can be doing projects outside? 

So clearly, outside is a necessity for spezzy. 

cha-cha-zelda.gif

This little 3 week challenge will be me attempting to build out this new life embracing the fact that I am not a magical humanoid race (Hylian) like I have wanted all along, but am, in fact, a child of the forest (Korok).  My 2024 challenges will (likely)follow along this theme :) 

(Now of course, this doesn't mean I can't do things Hylians can do - Koroks are very versatile little creatures. But it means that I need to prioritize the things that make me the happiest, and for me, that's being outside and interacting with nature/animals/plants/etc. )

GOALS: 

tumblr_otgs40buSY1w2v2tjo2_540.gif

Exercise: 

We've been having issues getting heat into the garage, so moved a small gym set up including the rower into the inside barn which is heated to 50 degrees, and won't worry about the garage until spring. 

• Daily Walk - non negotiable. 
    • Bonus: a second walk, even if it is on the property. 
  • Daily row of any length - this is to push cardiovascular stuff, for now I just want to get on the rower and do it
  • Strength 3x/week -just light and what we have in the barn for now, but the goal is to rebuild a baseline here. In the spring I can do strongman but also will have a lot more daylight to deal with so can spend more time in the gym without missing out on daylight. 

LakeKorok55_L.jpg

Spellbooks/Schedule: 

To focus on the "doing too much" thing - I'm going to be working on solidifying my schedule in this new role and figuring out the best schedule for me now that I have complete freedom.  I'm also focusing on getting up at or before sunrise, as 7 hours of sun is not enough and sleeping through sunlight is just silly for me.  

• Get up when I wake up or by the last call alarm time (if I wake up before alarm, just get up)
  • Nightly spellbooks review + prep everything for next day (as a part of this challenge, make checklist of things that need to be prepped for next day)
  •  Follow schedule plan with work blocks (shifting schedule to do a large portion of work when it is dark out). 
    • at least 60 min before sundown outside or around the farm
    • work when I'm supposed to be working, even though I have my own schedule. 
    • ADHD coping mechanisms - headphones, timers, do it up. 

Extra stuff:

image.png

Finish a nutrition certification I'm working on - has to be done by end of year :) 

And that's it! 

korok-bye.gif

• Like 10
Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

So glad to see you back, Spezzy!! And super proud of you for renegotiating your role to one that is a better fit for you. That's fabulous and incredibly brave. Sorry to hear about the carbon monoxide leak, that's scary! I hope you're both recovering well from that. Looking forward to cheering you on! 

year find GIF

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

the periods of time when I've been the happiest and healthiest, they're times when I'm spending significant time outside

I feel this so much.  It's so funny how often I have to be reminded that nature time is essential to my mental and physical well-being, but it's definitely true.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Sounds like positive changes and goals all around!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

SPEZZYYYYYyyyyyy welcome back it is good to see you!! ❤️❤️ 

14 hours ago, spezzy said:

#1 I'm doing too much

Honestly when you would post about the 3975 things you two were doing around the farm and working and everything I was always like WOW I am exhausted just reading this??? IDK how you did it!! I'm glad you are taking a breath and taking it slower, these all sound like such good changes for you!!

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On 12/4/2023 at 6:04 PM, Sovalis said:

So glad to see you back, Spezzy!! And super proud of you for renegotiating your role to one that is a better fit for you. That's fabulous and incredibly brave. Sorry to hear about the carbon monoxide leak, that's scary! I hope you're both recovering well from that. Looking forward to cheering you on! 

year find GIF

On 12/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back! That is great that you can now focus on doing what you love doing at NF.  

On 12/4/2023 at 7:33 PM, Everstorm said:

I feel this so much.  It's so funny how often I have to be reminded that nature time is essential to my mental and physical well-being, but it's definitely true.

On 12/4/2023 at 10:42 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome back. Glad you were able to focus on what you want, and to get outside. 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:01 AM, cn3wton said:

Sounds like positive changes and goals all around!

On 12/5/2023 at 8:17 AM, shaar said:

SPEZZYYYYYyyyyyy welcome back it is good to see you!! ❤️❤️ 

Honestly when you would post about the 3975 things you two were doing around the farm and working and everything I was always like WOW I am exhausted just reading this??? IDK how you did it!! I'm glad you are taking a breath and taking it slower, these all sound like such good changes for you!!

On 12/6/2023 at 12:22 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Oof a year and a half of CO poisoning! Crazy. Congrats on the new job role 🙂It’s awesome you get to focus on the thing you love, having 18 different roles can get really stressful and not fun.

Thanks for the support, y'all. I ended up quickly coming down with some horrible pain that started with weeks of doctors appointments after doctors appointments and ended with some minor surgery this week - so I've been dealing with that and have been just focusing on getting through each day.  Last week I ended up having to take time off work when things went downhill fast. Iworked tues, then am off now till tues to recover. 

So... time to try again this challenge :) 

• Like 4
Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Oh my goodness!! Wishing you a swift and complete recovery!!

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh my, I hope you continue to improve and so glad to see you back ❤️ 

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda