TimovieMan does December dietary damage defence

Alright, a week late but I was skipping "week zero" anyway. Here's the final challenge for the year!

I'll keep it *very* simple: just try to get through the holiday period with as little weight damage as possible.

Not that that's going to be easy. There are several food extravaganza days planned, with back-to-back days on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and again on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Plus it's "Sinterklaas" - the original Santa Claus - here this week, which means there are massive amounts of chocolate, cookies and candy in the house, and I can only stay out of that when we don't have any around... 😅

There are going to be enough red days for me not to bother with logging anything this challenge. It's a bad month for the diet. December and early January are ALWAYS bad that way. I don't need a log to remind me that, yes, it was bad.

I also didn't meet my steps goals last month because going on walks is not as fun when it's constantly raining. While December should be better, I'm not going to pin myself to any numbers.

Workouts are only *slowly* starting up again as of this week. Haven't done any exercising in the past weeks because of a shoulder injury, so I'll just take it easy at first and see how my shoulder handles things.

Basically, this month will boil down to "I'm just checking in occasionally"... 😁

I'm not intentionally ghosting the forums, but it may seem so at times...

Thus...

Here's Kristin Hersh (feat. Michael Stipe) with "Your Ghost". 😅

I've always loved this song. Hence why it was #122 when I made my top 300 back in 2016. It might help that this was released back when R.E.M. was one of my favourite bands of the moment, so Michael Stipe's involvement definitely raised the profile for me. Although I'm pretty sure that, even though Stipe's voice adds to the song, the song is more than strong enough on its own. Too bad Kristin Hersh never replicated its success. That I know of, at least.

Kristin Hersh - Your Ghost

Is it me, or does Kristin Hersh resemble Zooey Deschanel a little in this video? 😍

• Like 8

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Waiting more than a week to post the new challenge means I haven't been talking about stuff that happened.

Last Tuesday evening, there was a teambuilding event at work. A guided city tour in Kortrijk (or Courtrai or Courtray or whatever you'd actually call it in English 😅) with several culinary stops along the way.

Since I live less than two miles from the starting point of the tour, I went on foot. Dropped my bike off at home after work and walked. The walk to the central square in Kortrijk is less than my usual lunch break walk.

With all the stops for information from our guide and the stops for drinks, appetisers, starters, main course and dessert, none of the guided tour registered as a walk on my Fitbit. I got the steps, just not the mileage on the road to Mordor. Apart from my walk to the central square and the walk home, of course.

The actual team building part of it came from the fact that on each stop, everybody just took a seat in whatever order they walked in, so we sat with different colleagues each time. No cliques that kept together the whole time. Goes to show that we've got a good team, imo.

Went to a stand-up show by comedian Lieven Scheire on Friday. Well, "stand-up" isn't entirely correct as he's also somewhat of a scientist and it was just as informative as it was funny. Topic was "Artificial Intelligence".

Lieven Scheire is excellent at making complex topics very accessible, and he's consistently funny while doing so. The guy is basically the world's greatest teacher. I got a "neural network" explanation that I actually understood. And a lot of good insights in artificial intelligence.

Not that the show included a whole lot of stuff that I didn't know before - I use ChatGPT daily and have been keeping up with developments in A.I. a little.

Heck, this thread title came to be with the help of ChatGPT. It was originally going to be "TimovieMan does December damage control", but I wanted the "control" to be alliterative as well and asked ChatGPT for some suggestions, culminating in the "TimovieMan does December dietary damage defence" title.

You don't want to know how often I've used ChatGPT as an editor for my posts... 😅

It's a great tool. 🙂

Main thing to take away from the show: A.I. is going to change the world and we're around when it happens: enjoy the ride! 😁

Mrs. Movieman took TimovieDaughter and a classmate to the cinema on Saturday, to see Disney's "Wish". The classmate is one of TimovieDaughter's best friends, and she had a birthday party two weeks ago when we were in the Netherlands so TimovieDaughter couldn't attend. To make up for that, we took her to the cinema. Well, I say *we* but TimovieSon wasn't interested in "Wish" and none of the other options at the theater were to his liking - or had to be nixed by me, like Eli Roth's "Thanksgiving". That means that while the girls were at the movies, I took TimovieSon bowling.

We played for an hour and a half, but since it was just the two of us, we actually completed five entire games. Then Mrs. Movieman was mad at me for winning 5-0. As if I'm going to deliberately play worse than I can... 😅

I just never considered it a competition. It was the first time TimovieSon was bowling without one of those ramps to launch the ball for him, and he was using the side bumpers to avoid too many gutter balls. And I'm an above average bowler, so he was never going to win anyway. It was just a father-son moment where I taught him some stuff. Successfully: towards the end, he hardly ever hit the bumpers any more...

On Sunday morning, the kids got their "Sinterklaas" presents. And then we shifted gears quickly and put up the Christmas tree in the afternoon... 🤣

December's an expensive month in Belgium and the Netherlands.

And a bad one for the diet, hence this limited "challenge"... 😇

Even worse: we've got a new colleague that's starting this week and today is his first day at the office. We've got another colleague who's celebrating her birthday today. And then we've got a third colleague who officially got her dual Belgian citizenship*.

You do NOT want to know just how many chocolates and bags of crisps we have in the office kitchen at the moment... 🙃

* cue the "one of us" gifs

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952npbfyueolo5v248p9q

I never realized she *didn't* have dual citizenship yet.

She's sitting here wearing Christmas antlers in our flag's colours - elicited a good chuckle when I first noticed. 😊

• Like 7

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

Also following!! 😁 Glad to see you!

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just caught up on the challenge - sounds a very sensible approach! I'm going similar and just logging calories on the days I DON'T have something Christmassy going on, just to try and balance it all out a bit.

I agree that going bowling with your son was a good bonding exp and you shouldn't have played worse to let him 'win' - sounds like it was more something for him to aspire to :)

• Like 2

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

13 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

I agree that going bowling with your son was a good bonding exp and you shouldn't have played worse to let him 'win' 

If the choice is between winning with integrity and grace, or force a loss while being patronizing and frustrated, go with the former. And do it in a friendly and respectful way, and you will teach the child you play a valuable lesson about sportsmanship, in the way you approached the competition.

That's my take on it, anyway. :) 

• Like 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

22 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

I agree that going bowling with your son was a good bonding exp and you shouldn't have played worse to let him 'win' - sounds like it was more something for him to aspire to :)

8 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

If the choice is between winning with integrity and grace, or force a loss while being patronizing and frustrated, go with the former. And do it in a friendly and respectful way, and you will teach the child you play a valuable lesson about sportsmanship, in the way you approached the competition.

I'm very big on fair play and sportsmanship, and I'll hopefully be able to imbue some of that to the kids.

If everything was done fair, then I don't mind losing in anything. I'm very competitive, but you can't win everything, and I'll be the first to congratulate my opponent if I lose. Conversely, I'm not going to be smug on winning, and will actively try to help my opponent do better next time.

That means that my kids will lose to me often when playing games or sports, but I'll always be coaching them, trying to get them to improve. And I'll be a very proud dad when they finally manage to win against me. 😅

Back when I was playing table tennis competitively (low-level), I once beat an opponent 21-0, 21-0. My opponent was a kid, maybe 7 or 8 years old. It was immediately obvious that he shouldn't have been in a competitive match yet, and I just saw it as a sparring session with me simply returning all the balls so he could easily keep a rally going.

My team captain chewed me out after the match because I didn't give the kid a single point. I, on the other hand, went to chew out my opposing team's captain stating that the kid had no business in a competitive match, and that including him anyway was a sure-fire way to get him to quit the sports altogether within his first season.

The only point I've *ever* thrown in table tennis was in a play-off match where my opponent had me at match point, and my team mate just lost his game on the table beside me, which meant that our team lost the team match (and all other games left to be played no longer mattered). My opponent asked "do we forfeit the match?" and I went "It's match point, you're leading 10-5 in the final set, let's just finish it."

As soon as she served I just walked over to congratulate her on winning.

As far as I can recall, that's really the only point I've ever "given".

Fair play and sportsmanship work both ways... 😇

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

In other news, I'm *really* slacking on the "dietary damage defence".

Intermittent fasting has been an afterthought on most days this past week. When I got to the office this morning, there was a welcoming committee offering croissants to "vulnerable road users" in the context of road and traffic safety. Normally I'd refuse. I didn't today. Which means I broke fast after 10 hours or so.

And then I found out that there are about 20 kilos of letter-shaped biscuits as treats in our office kitchen today... 😅

Well, there goes my diet... 😇

christmas-dinner-sweets.gif

• Haha 2

Well, this is a coincidence...

I just remembered I still have to post a song for today. I've been planning on posting this song for a week now, simply because I was reminded of it last week.

It's Belly with "Feed the Tree". Belly is a band by Tanya Donelly (who was also in The Breeders) before she went solo.

It's one of those excellent semi-forgotten 90s songs...

Now, I'm reading up on Tanya Donelly's wiki-page, and apparently, she's Kristin Hersh's step-sister and they were both in the band Throwing Muses...

I just posted a Kristin Hersh song!!! 🤯

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47otwfoy3rnsjctkq3xyj

Belly - Feed the Tree

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

When I got home from work yesterday, there was a pencil charcoal drawing on the kitchen counter, made by TimovieDaughter who is learning about the First World War in school...

I immediately had a Keanu Reeves reaction, and took a picture of it.

7fd1edc4fe92b9ced76e1f30ce90121c.gif

I want to share this here, despite the poorer "smartphone picture of a drawing" quality.
And remember: this was made by a 10-year-old! 😲

Drawing_Zo%C3%AB_12-23.jpg

• Wow 2

39 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Gorgeous drawing. 

Is it the phone quality, or is it a little blurred in real life?

Cos it gives it a very eery, foggy atmosphere which i adore x

That's the phone quality, I'm afraid. 🤐

I've scanned the image for a better version:

Drawing_Zo%C3%AB_12-23v2.jpg

She won't admit it, but she's proud of the drawing too. She was positively glowing when I said I was going to post it online... 🙂

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

20 hours ago, Salinger said:

How are you doing Timo? x

I've been eating far too much chocolate and letter-shaped biscuits lately, but luckily the supplies are dwindling.

Had a meet-up with the friends on Sunday. Not a food extravaganza this time - we just went bowling with the group. I won both games (against 5 adults and 4 kids). Like I said: I'm an above average (casual) bowler... 😇

Amenra concert prep is in full swing. Tomorrow's the day!

A couple of hours of bar duty, and then a free acoustic concert in a church setting! 👍

And in the meantime, my chess frenzy is still very much in effect. Although the motto seems to be: blunder first, think later! 😅

• Like 2

Whoops, forgot to post a song.

Here's a song by Belgian artist Arno Hintjens who sadly passed away last year.

He was a mediocre singer but a great songwriter, who surrounded himself with other talented musicians to make fascinating songs. I've seen him live a couple of times and his shows were always good. His aloof, seemingly drunk persona was always entertaining to watch, both on and off the stage. But if you looked closer at his interviews it was pretty evident that this was an intelligent man with a good vision about music, while having fun at the same time.

During one of his shows, he saw himself on the big screen next to the stage and credulously asked "am I on TV now?". During an interview at an event, he grabbed the camera asking "is this for national TV? Is that in colour these days?". This was less than 10 years ago. The guy was fun. 🙂

And he made some truly iconic songs throughout his career, in a slew of genres, several of which appear in every "best Belgian songs of all time" list.

Including this one, especially in the piano version (which I greatly prefer over the more tango original):

Arno - Les yeux de ma mère

• Like 3

So, the Amenra concert was brilliant!

Very close to the two acoustic sets of them I found on YouTube (see here and here) with just a couple of different songs.
The setting was fantastic in the church. It's already a special church on the outside, but the geometry of it makes it seem far more spacious than it really is on the inside.

2016-05-01-002.JPG

The band had made a stage at the back, on top of the altar, and were sitting in a circle (similar to the second set I linked to). It's not a big church, so the setting was intimate, but it *feels* gigantic, and the band took full use of that for the show. The lighting used those nooks in the walls for maximum effect, and then the performance itself was spot on. Excellent musicianship!

Most of the other members of the parent-teacher committee were less impressed, but they weren't fans of the band. Every other attendant was *very* enthusiastic.

Bar duty went really well. We had a good crowd and it was pleasantly busy, but there were enough helpers to make everything manageable, even at the busiest moments.

I spent a good part of the evening (20 minutes before the second performance - the one I attended - and over an hour afterwards) with a couple that had come all the way from the Charantes region in France (in the vicinity of Bordeaux, 900 km away!) for the gig. The conversation started in English, but when I found out they were French, I switched to French. The others in the parent-teacher committee apparently didn't like that so much because then they had to switch too... 😅

The couple had a band of their own where he's the singer and guitarist, and she's the bass player. They pointed me to their first (double) album on YouTube. Really good stuff. A bit blues-rock inspired, but switching between a lot of genres without losing coherence, I quite liked it. Sent them an email today telling them precisely that. Also sent the link to my dad who might appreciate their music too. I'll post the links here as well. It's a bit too good to be stuck on 136 and 117 views. 😲

Went shopping yesterday. Some belated Christmas shopping, but also to get a couple of new pants for myself. My jeans wear quickly between the thighs because of the cycling to work, so I have to get new ones regularly. And we ran out of printing paper, so I got two packs as well. That wasn't the best idea since the cardboard bag from the clothing store couldn't handle that weight, and the handles ripped.

I had gone to the mall on foot, a 20 minute walk, that I now had to do again while carrying an unwieldly 20+ pound bag in my arms. I'm feeling the workout today... 😅

We had some budget left for teambuilding events at work, so today there was a "pizza speed date". Everyone ordered pizza (or pasta), and we sat together to eat them, with the idea of randomly switching seats every fifteen minutes. At least that was the initial concept. In reality most only switched once, halfway through their pizza... 🙂

But hey, it was fun, and a nice way to spend our lunch break.

Of course I overate. There were plenty of leftovers, so I sampled some different pizzas after finishing mine, and ultimately had over one-and-a-half pizza.

There were also two birthdays at the office, so there was also a smorgasbord of options during the working hours as well.

I'm *really* glad that I forfeited the diet for this month because all the circumstances would have made it virtually impossible to comply... 😅

January is going to be bad. So I've started thinking of an attack plan for the respawn. I'll probably start with a sugar detox first and foremost... 😁

So here's that double album I talked about, by the French couple's band:

Paku - "Welcome Into" - "The Swamp"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxa6y4I4kmE

Paku - "Welcome Into" - "The Ocean"

Hmmm, YouTube doesn't allow the embedding of the first video... Oh well, the link will have to suffice... 😇

• Like 2

That's a very unique shaped church building! Did they build it that way for acoustic reasons, or is it some religious significance?

Yeah,  I'm  seeing a sugar detox in my January too.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

15 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

That's a very unique shaped church building! Did they build it that way for acoustic reasons, or is it some religious significance?

Simply architectural liberty, I think. It was built in the 60s and they just wanted it to stand out...😅

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Salinger said:

That church looks so cool!!!!!!!

Inside is even better:

(spoilered for size)

Spoiler

800px-Sint-Ritakerk_-_Harelbeke.jpg

1835_1_2_1554826895.jpg

Seems far larger than it is because of the shape! 

• Wow 3