I said my last challenge was about transitions, and it was...but this is also the more traditional transitional time of year for me! The end of the school year and beginning of summer can be a challenging time for a teacher - there's the obvious flurry of work that is finals, graduations, etc. but also a lot of teachers struggle transitioning to summer. We're all overworked and exhausted at this point, I'm sick to the point of actually taking yesterday off (which I NEVER do because it's frankly more work to make sub plans and then clean up the messes afterwards), and it's a challenge just to make yourself care about your job for these last few weeks, but it's also way too long to just phone it in until summer. Contracts for next year have been signed already, sure, but that doesn't mean you're good to do all of the nothing you wish you could do in May! This is the first gauntlet of the sirens, forcing yourself forward when all you want to do is be done with the whole journey.

Odysseus, wreathed and bearded, is fastened against the bottom of his ship's mast, facing the stern, with his arms behind his back lashed to it. His head is thrown back, looking upwards towards the Sirens. The Sirens are represented as birds with woman's heads, their hair looped up with a dotted headband, a single tress hanging beside the ear . A Siren flings herself down from the edge of a cliff, and falls headlong with closed eyes, as though already dead.

Just when you think you're in the clear and the songs you've been trying so hard to ignore are fading away because you've somehow actually made it to the last day or two without jeopardizing your future employment, there's usually a few days where you go into a hard power down mode not unlike runners collapsing just after the finish line of a race. And then the second round of siren songs start up...I have definitely spent entire summers in the past stuck in that low energy slump because I never managed to pull myself back together properly until forced to do so in August. The call of a comfy couch and sugary treats can be even harder to resist when you're mentally and emotionally tired! And if there's no longer an external pressure to do things other than be a lazy, gluttonous couch potato (because you're a teacher on summer break and no one cares what you do all day anymore), it's just a different melody in the background of your stalled progress.

So with that in mind, I'm splitting my challenge into two, though there is some sizable overlap in my goals:

Gauntlet 1: Finish the School Year (Now to May 23rd)

Quest One: Nutrition (Slash Pumping)
This went better than expected last challenge, so I shall continue! However, I also know that some of this is actually due to the school environment (bells constantly remind me what time it is, I tend to always have a mug in my hand - it's like a weird adult security blanket, I already have a mental schedule of things like, "I need to finish my first water bottle before 2nd hour ends", etc.) I'm going to stick to my "be sure to eat at least 3 meals a day and get as much good protein in as you can" goal, as well as try to bump up my water goal to a full 112 ounces a day. This might prove to be super challenging on the weekends, but that's the whole idea behind a quest, right?? And with my illness right now, I could really use any boost to the pumping output that I can get, and increasing your water intake is one of the easiest possibilities (though it will eventually see diminishing returns...) 

Quest Two: Don't Get Fired
What it says on the box. This includes keeping up at least nominally with grading and lesson planning, adding curriculum units to Embarc, and dragging myself to all the required events I'd rather not go to like graduation. I don't have to do these things well. I just have to do them well enough to not get fired (or hate myself come August, honestly). Is there more I could do to make August me happy? Of course. But that is August me's problem (probably. We'll see.) Honestly this should get easier after the 7th when seniors are done, but right now I'm in the weeds something awful (the only reason I'm even posting this right now is because it's been up on my laptop as a work in progress since Monday honestly).

Quest Three: Try to Maintain (Some) Sanity
Sometimes you just need a "happiness handhold" to help get you through the day. I'm going to try to keep up with the weekly Moment Garden posts for the kids because this is a great way to remind myself to look for even little happy moments to record. Also it helps to have lots of fun pictures on my phone sometimes! (Though I need to start moving some of them to an external hard drive, as my phone is filling up quick...) And I'd like to say I'll get some time to quilt, but that's not wildly likely, so I'm going to start with just the next step: adding row 2/3 to 1 in one long quilt-wide seam.

Gauntlet 2: Begin the Summer (May 23rd to June 9)
Quest One: Keep Nutrition Up (and Keep Pumping!)
I genuinely think this will be harder after school lets out, so for now I'm going to keep the same goals as the first gauntlet, but they will move up (hopefully not down!!) as necessary.

Quest Two: Movement
TBD at the time, but I definitely need to focus on building regular movement

Quest Three: Re-discover My Humanity...

Phrasing it that way to directly reflect something my husband always says, which is that "everyone needs time occasionally to do the things that make them feel like a human" and not just a robot who chugs down the daily to do list because they have to. This will reflect some quilting time (goal TBD based on how far I get in the first gauntlet), some kitchen time (probably baking, assuming we own a working oven by then - I haven't made bread in over a year! I also like to make scones, muffins, etc. and our frozen cookie stash is getting terribly low), and some travel research time as we prepare for our next family trip to Mexico in summer 2025. 

Quest Four: ...Without Forgetting August

I can hear the protests already and I agree, I have definitely earned my summer break! But I can tell you from experience that the best time to set up for the next school year is actually in June when the things you wanted to change and how you wanted to change them are still fresh in your mind. But I'm going to try to take it slow - especially since I'll only have a touch over 2 weeks of this in this particular challenge, I'll pick one or maybe two smaller goals to chip away at. Right now I'm thinking maybe one curriculum goal, like re-writing the French 1 Unit 6 exam? Or maybe converting some of my other exams into projects, since I'm going to be adding some proficiency quizzes? and one goal that serves both school and personal purposes, like reading a chapter book in Spanish to add to the extensive reading program. Giving myself some space to make the official decision based on what feels the least overwhelming at the time though.

• Like 2

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Charges Her Batteries

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

On 5/1/2024 at 3:07 PM, Everstorm said:

I hear you on trying to survive these last weeks of school.  Some days it feels like the school year will never end (and unfortunately, mine really is getting longer 😭).  Good luck to you!

Thanks! This last week ended up kicking my butt and my intestines revolted out of stress. I ended up super sick on Wednesday to the point where I had to talk my husband out of driving me to the hospital (he still isn't quite used to living with a chronic illness, since mine was so well controlled for most of our marriage until about 2 years ago) and I took Thursday off work too. Friday and Saturday were then spent trying to catch up without yanking out too much hair in the process, and today I'm finishing off the minimum requirements (hopefully) and actually not feeling too awful about it...right this second at least...

I am really excited that we finally bought a new oven though! And it turned out to be way cheaper than we expected it to be 🥳 We were expecting it to be between $1,000 and $1,300 once it was all said and done but we got a good one for only $800, even with all the delivery fees and whatever included. It should be here and installed on Friday!! 

3 meals a day with good protein - honestly not really, on account of my intestines revolting every time I ate something more substantial than toast for the last few days

112 ounces - also not really, I think I hit this once? Water of course doesn't upset my intestines quite as much, but flooding my system will still piss it off. Hoping to get both of these started for real tomorrow (so far my "can I handle X food or drink?" tests have gone quite well today!!)

Grading - senior grades are due on Tuesday and I think I'm set for them, unless someone does something ridiculous tomorrow and/or notices something I jacked up. If they're not a senior though, they might as well not have existed for the last like two and a half weeks.
Lesson planning - well I at least came up with a plan for French 2, which is going to be my toughest one between now and the end of the school year. Not ready for tomorrow yet though - still have no lesson plan for anyone, technically, even if I know what's up in each class.
Embarc - Still short 3 units in Spanish 4,  all 9 in French 1, and 5 in French 2 for a grand total of 17 units left to input in the next two weeks 🤦🏼‍♀️
Required events - graduation is the big one this week on Thursday night! Ugh that'll be the worst one for sure though, as it is both the longest and the farthest away, so hopefully it will help to get it out of the way a solid week or so earlier than usual

Weekly Moment Garden posts - surprisingly, I got this done this week! My son had his end-of-year kindergarten performance, which made for an easy post, and I got a photo of my daughter in her May Day dress (the purple one that was supposed to be her Easter dress but my son wanted to match clothes so she never wore it)
Quilt - currently still untouched but I did sign up for a summer quilt block exchange because I'm an idiot

• Like 2

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

My kids are hearing the summer sirens already and they don't get out til June 14 - I can't imagine how much harder it is to stay focused when you're a teacher!

18 hours ago, kcaleece said:

I got a photo of my daughter in her May Day dress (the purple one that was supposed to be her Easter dress but my son wanted to match clothes so she never wore it)

Yay!! She finally got to wear it! 😂💜

• Like 2

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Coasting Along

23 hours ago, athousandwords said:

My kids are hearing the summer sirens already and they don't get out til June 14 - I can't imagine how much harder it is to stay focused when you're a teacher!

This year is especially bad honestly. I'm usually ready for a break, but between having the baby (giving me both more reason and lots more to do at home!), trying to clean up the absolute disaster my long term sub left behind, the fact my sophomores this year (most of my students) are god awful and I will not miss them next year in the slightest, flailing wildly to update and create new curriculum even here at the end of the year, etc. etc. I am MORE than ready for summer to get here already! 

23 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Yay!! She finally got to wear it! 😂💜

She did!! And it was every bit as adorable as I was hoping! Here's the dress at least :) I'm half tempted to buy it one size up too just so she can keep wearing it...I try not to spend silly amounts of money on every cute baby thing ever though, or we'd be broke before the end of the month!

Today is my senior's last day in class and while I only have a few this year (9 in total) I will actually be sad to see...well honestly about 8 of them go haha. One of my advanced Spanish seniors worked her butt off for me piloting a new unit she was excited about but won't be here next year to complete (transatlantic music history) and to celebrate finishing, she drew me this lovely picture of Aragorn playing the maracas 🤣 One of the best gifts ever! I love getting things like this from students ❤️ 
20240507_110354.thumb.jpg.38b87c692304cd0608cf9b88910e9aba.jpg

Challenge update:

3 meals a day with good protein - pretty decent yesterday, actually, though I genuinely didn't want any dinner (still forced some chicken and noodles down my gullet for the sake of milk production)

112 ounces - I think I miiiiiiight have just barely hit this yesterday? I accidentally left my water bottle at school so technically my measurements post about 4pm are best guesses, but I think I hit this exactly. 

Grading - senior grades are posted, including last minute nonsense. Grades for everyone else haven't even been started yet
Lesson planning - everyone has lessons for today and Spanish 2 has lessons for tomorrow. Need to finalize French 1 for tomorrow then create Spanish 3 and French 2 (no more Spanish 4 lessons though since they're all seniors!!)
Embarc - Realized I miscounted and there were only 16 units to go in, since seniors end on a project and not a proper final (which has to be put in as a unit, otherwise your review days don't "count" as existing in the system). Anyway I got the 2 remaining Spanish 4 units in this morning while pumping, giving me only the 14 French units left. At the moment. I'm also annoyed that I already plan on changing at least two major things here (flipping a French 2 unit up to 3 and one from 3 down to 2, though I'm currently refusing to put in French 3 stuff, and also there's going to be some assessment changes next year that will shift my number of days required in many places) but district says it has to be in before May 23rd...they didn't say it has to be set in stone by then...or at least that's going to be my argument when they try to call me on it in August, especially in a program that's still so new and in such a state of flux
Required events - technically I could go to senior awards night tonight, but....naw, sorry. I do need to find my gown and hood for Thursday though.

Weekly Moment Garden posts - I got a photo of my daughter up last night because she was doing a really good job of catching the toys on her activity gym! Need to find something for my son though.
Quilt - still untouched

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Here's the dress at least :) I'm half tempted to buy it one size up too just so she can keep wearing it...I try not to spend silly amounts of money on every cute baby thing ever though, or we'd be broke before the end of the month!

It sooo cute! If they had it in 4T I'd be tempted to get it for my girlie! 🥹

Aragorn + Maracas = coolest present ever. Your students must love you!

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20

On 5/8/2024 at 8:08 AM, athousandwords said:

It sooo cute! If they had it in 4T I'd be tempted to get it for my girlie! 🥹

Awww, I found the toddler sizes for you but it looks like 4T specifically is sold out. Carter's is really annoying about putting different sizes of the same item into separate categories so you have to look under "toddler dresses" instead of just finding what you want and seeing every size they make. (Honestly, their entire website is a pain in the butt for multiple reasons, but clearly not awful enough to impact business and make them fix it...) 

On 5/8/2024 at 8:08 AM, athousandwords said:

Aragorn + Maracas = coolest present ever. Your students must love you!

This was really nice to read after I overheard students in a totally different class loudly bitching about me - apparently all I ever do is "give them work and tell them to do it", which I know is a weird combination of not true and also sometimes true but a combination of them not understanding how language acquisition actually works and also just them being lazy because projects where you have to figure things out for yourself is hard. And you can't let teenagers get under your skin and so on and so forth. But it always stings! It's admittedly a small group, but the ones I get tend to be fiercely loyal (if that doesn't make me sound too arrogant...) This is only my third year at this particular school but my class has directly inspired three seniors to change their college plans as far as I know - one girl changed her major entirely to become a Spanish teacher and two others decided to add Spanish minors to their goal degrees (one in nursing and one in business). They have all agreed that my class is a challenge but one that pays off if you legit engage with it, which I would agree with. But clearly I am missing something to help a majority of kids engage here...sometimes I think it's a far broader community culture issue, as a lot of the problems in my classroom are not unique to me at all (there's a reason we have the lowest End of Course exam scores in the entire conference), but then at other times I think I'm just using that as an excuse 🤷‍♀️ Hard to say, honestly...probably both.

Challenge update:

3 meals a day with good protein - pretty okay, though I have definitely been resorting to more protein snacks and carb-heavy quick meals than I was before. I think it's a combination of comfort food (box noodles and frozen pumpkin muffins) and just plain habit, as I've always been a huge carb person with little protein and most of the things I've gotten used to grabbing for protein hits are more snack-like (my husband makes protein balls routinely, I tend to grab nuts or nut butter with apples for the afternoon, string cheese is a family-wide favorite, etc.) But I do make my sausage or ham egg wraps at breakfast and am usually pretty good about getting some form of meat in at least at dinner - lunch is the hardest.

112 ounces - I missed one more day (yesterday actually!) but otherwise have been making this juuuuuuuust barely. Like, there have been multiple days when I'm ending right at the 112 mark. Guess that proves it's a reasonable goal though, right?

Grading - grading for everyone else has now been started, but only barely - I got in podcast projects for 1st hour Spanish 2. Goal for tonight: podcast projects for 3rd hour Spanish 2. And ideally 4th hour Spanish 2, but let's start small.
Lesson planning - everyone has lessons through Monday on account of the fact we're on Unit 7 mini-projects, so there was minimal other lesson planning to be done honestly.
Embarc - Still at 14 units left to put in, I'm sitting here pumping for a few more minutes before I go home so I might try to get one more in after I post this
Required events - graduation complete! It was a pain but at least the ceremonies in this district are short (only about an hour and ten minutes, which is great!) Next required event I don't want to go to but don't have a real choice: the world's dumbest after-contract-hours meeting next Thursday the 16th which is all about "levels of knowledge" 🙄 Seriously, if you've been teaching for more than a few months, you could probably recite this stupid meeting in your sleep, but our assistant superintendent seems to think it's groundbreaking information, so we show up and try to hide what we're really working on while waiting for the clock to run out

Weekly Moment Garden posts - my husband got an absolutely precious set of photos last night while I was at graduation!! He was holding the baby while getting the boy ready for his shower. They have this evening routine where the boy sits in my husband's lap while the water is "warming up for a minute" and they talk about the best and worst things in their day. It's really sweet and last night my husband got the cutest set of 3 photos where both kids are on his lap and smiling at the same time. A minor miracle getting good smiles from both kids simultaneously!  
Quilt - still untouched, hopefully this weekend? At least the one seam? Maybe?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kcaleece said:

after-contract-hours meeting next Thursday the 16th which is all about "levels of knowledge" 🙄 Seriously, if you've been teaching for more than a few months, you could probably recite this stupid meeting in your sleep, but our assistant superintendent seems to think it's groundbreaking information, so we show up and try to hide what we're really working on while waiting for the clock to run out

And this right here is reason #101 why I don't miss working for public schools.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

On 5/10/2024 at 7:38 PM, Everstorm said:

And this right here is reason #101 why I don't miss working for public schools.

Yeah it gets particularly bad at the end of the year. A lot of states have required minimum "professional development" hours and I think a lot of principals get caught up in other stuff during the semester only to go, "oh no, we need something quick or we'll be short on hours this year!" at the very end. Who cares if it's a good idea or not as long as the state's happy we jumped through the hoop, right? 

Today is going to be a rough one too but at least that's not my school's (direct) fault. I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off all week trying to get finals created and set up - I'm trying something new this year that will hopefully make grading a lot easier but definitely makes the set up harder! (Basically by doing extra project assignments this week, students can choose to skip certain activities on the final, cutting down how much I have to grade next Thursday afternoon.) Baby Girl is going through a bit of a rough phase with sleep - she recently learned how to roll over!! (tummy to back, though she's super close to getting back to tummy as well and I think she'll have it before the end of this challenge probably) which can apparently cause some sleep regression, and also she's starting to take bigger bottles and I think my body is just a few days behind her in terms of production vs. her demand, so it's extra easy to wake up when you're still just a little bit hungry. My son is doing awesome - he just won a gold medal in his kindergarten class' "Sight Words Olympics" because he could read more of them correctly than anyone else! - but now his baseball season is in full swing so there's two practices and a game every single week minimum, plus ninja class every Wednesday. And my husband is in his own finals mess with his seniors since they graduate next Tuesday, so he really doesn't have any space to pick up slack either, and today he has not one but two meetings after school (he's on the superintendent's advisory council and then he has his own silly PD meeting). 

Last weekend was fun but busy too - Saturday we celebrated my niece's 3rd birthday, which is a lunch-to-dinner affair on that side of the family, and then Sunday of course was Mother's Day. We were planning on taking the kids to a local working farm/petting zoo that I've been really excited to take them to, but we ended up being so tired and had so much to do that we agreed to push it off to next weekend and instead spent the day running errands and taking care of stuff at home. Don't be sad for me though! I still got "special breakfast", my husband bought me fancy frou-frou coffee (peppermint mocha, yum!), and we had Chinese food for dinner because I love it but my husband hates it so it's a celebratory go-to in our house. 

Only 6 more days...6 more work days and this gauntlet will be DONE!

Challenge update:

3 meals a day with good protein - pretty okay still, I had my husband buy some Greek yogurt but haven't eaten any yet

112 ounces - a few more days of either just barely making it or falling a bit short (usually get to at least 80 or so, but can't always finish). It's gotten harder as I've started craving ice - a sure sign that my anemia is back - but now I'm filling my cup with tons of ice and not very much water, so even though I eat the ice, it's taking me way longer to get through the minimum amount of water and I'm not sure how to account for the water that makes up the ice?? I'm already at 96 ounces for today though and it's only 3pm so I should be good today, woohoo!

Grading - got all the Spanish 2 podcasts in. And nothing else yet. Need to tackle something...will bring home some Spanish 2 papers or might go for French 2 websites, that would be nice and quick since that's a tiny class
Lesson planning - this has been DESTROYING me lately, but I am finally climbing out of the hole!! I started off the week massively behind - like making lesson plans for an afternoon class instead of walking around talking to my morning classes - and at the time of writing this, I am almost done with tomorrow's plans (just need to go home and edit/post two audio files). Then I'll tackle Friday and put the finishing touches on the final exams. Only Spanish 2 final exam has been officially completed at this point.
Embarc - At 13 units left to put in, might tackle one tonight or might not, we'll see how well I can focus or make myself pretend to care for a few minutes
Required events - meeting tomorrow. The "exciting" news we'll get at the start of the meeting is about how the 8th grade "move up" day where they come visit the high school before they're officially freshman has been cancelled for the first time in many years. Hoping it's just logistics and not like the kids were acting so shitty they decided not to do it or something like that...our current sophomore class is the asshole class of the school (is that mean? yes. Is it also true? yes. To the point where the office/counselors have openly stated that their goal for several kids in that class is "just don't get a felony before you turn 18"). 

Weekly Moment Garden posts - oh! I forgot to mention this in my general family update! My son lost his first tooth this week! So that was an easy post of course :) I tried my best but have failed so far to get Baby Girl rolling on video, so I posted a picture of her in her absolutely adorable Mother's Day dress (here it is at Carter's!)
Quilt - still untouched...though the focal fabric I bought for the block swap came in early, so...yay?? Legit might cry if I don't get a single seam in before the 23rd though. I wanted to sew soooooooo bad yesterday but just plain had zero time and wasn't willing to trade any of the approximately 4 hours of sleep I could get to put in a seam instead

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 4:12 PM, Everstorm said:

The finish line is in sight!

Everyone keeps saying, "last Friday! It's the last Friday!" and, well, yeah, it is, but that's not wildly comforting to me when I still have so much in front of me over the weekend and next week...

And now we're going to owe a garage door repair company gods-only-know how much money, sigh. Long story short, last night we were so tired that we forgot we had opened the hatch on the back of my husband's car to get the stroller out, done some other stuff, and then went to close the garage door without closing the hatch first 🤦‍♀️ D'OH! The car is surprisingly completely fine, but the garage door is super badly bent and came entirely off its track on one side. It would have cost us a minimum of $300 before any parts or labor to call them out last night but my husband was bound and determined to not pay the emergency fee, so I took the kids to baseball and to buy pizza for dinner while he literally cleared everything out of the garage to attempt to fit his car out of my garage door despite the fact his car is bigger than mine and barely fits in the garage. (Impressively, he actually did it! While also causing - very minor - damage to the wall 🤦‍♀️)

Challenge update:

3 meals a day with good protein - pretty okay still, I'm getting worse at lunch arguably (I make two wraps every day and that used to be my breakfast, but lately it's been one for breakfast and one for lunch). I'm not sure if that's a problem or not...technically it is less protein and fewer calories on a daily basis, but I have also started drinking the high protein Boost again, so maybe that balances the difference?

112 ounces - yesterday I made this but still only barely. I'm getting a better pattern down to get the first 96 ounces down before I leave work, but I know it's going to fall apart again as soon as I'm home all day instead.

Grading - Spanish 2 grades are now entirely in!! As are French 2 grades. Spanish 3 and French 1 are not. And all 4 classes have their final projects due tonight at midnight, so this is a very short lived victory...
Lesson planning - officially done with lessons, but I do still need to make final exams! Only the Spanish 2 final is made. Monday I am proctoring Spanish 2 and 3, so I'll start on Spanish 3 this weekend. Tuesday is Spanish 2 and French 2 (which has the speaking section done but nothing else), and Wednesday is the last Spanish 2 session and French 1. 
Embarc - Down to just 10 units left to go! I got a few in yesterday while pumping because I couldn't stand the idea of grading right then and there. I'm largely through French 2 now actually - only 2 units left to enter for them - and then I'll tackle French 1, which is the other 8 "missing" units.
Required events - meeting done, and without the news of why the 8th grade "move up" day got cancelled. Hmmmm. At least it's done! My next bad one is actually not my late night, but my husband's - his school's graduation is next Tuesday, which leaves me alone with the kids, a pile of finals grading, and of course my son also has a baseball game that evening 🤦‍♀️ Then my next required obnoxious event is actually on the very last day, Thursday the 23rd. Yes, we have a required meeting after school on the very last day of school! Isn't that horribly unfair?? It's supposed to be a combined school year wrap-up meeting + important announcements for next year + honor the retirees type of thing, but gods know it's mostly us just staring at the clock while clapping politely and fake smiling...

Weekly Moment Garden posts - no more posts since my last one, I really super need to get something up for Baby Girl in particular (her last post was 6 days ago...)
Quilt - still untouched...tonight or tomorrow for sure though!! I'm going to beg my husband for even just a few minutes 

• Wow 2

On 5/19/2024 at 8:32 AM, Everstorm said:

I can't believe the garage door was the loser in that fight!  So sorry that you have to deal with extra drama during a stressful week.

Right?!? I thought for sure it would at least have a bunch of scratches or something. Guess Honda beats out crappy flippers who probably cheaped out on the thinnest garage doors money could buy 😂 The repairman got us back up and running for only $177, which is better than we thought it would be, but he straight out told us that his repair is temporary and we really need to replace that whole section of the door sooner rather than later.

Getting so close to the end of the school year!! Which is both a huge relief and a terrifying thought, as I have far too much to do before then...

3 meals a day with good protein - lunch has basically stalled. I'm still doing the split wrap plus Boost thing, but I also haven't managed to get any better. I bought Greek yogurt but it's just been sitting in the fridge untouched :( 

112 ounces - yesterday I made this goal, but I've definitely fallen short other times! I think I need to set some kind of stepping stone goal, like "should have 64 ounces by 1pm" or something. That's kinda how it works when I'm teaching, since I can't just run to the water fountain whenever I want (I try to make sure my water bottle is empty by certain times when I know I'll have a chance to refill it).

Grading - Okay, so at this point there are three sets of grades for each class: regular grades and 2 sets of final exam grades.
Spanish 2, hr 1: regular grades in
Spanish 2 hr 3: regular grades and 1 set of final exam grades in
Spanish 2, hr 4: almost all regular grades in (just a few late assignments left)
Spanish 3: regular grades in, 1st set of final exam grades started but not finished
French 2: regular grades in
French 1: nothing, argh!!!
Lesson planning - officially done with lessons, but I do still need to make the final edits on the French 1 final (all others are complete and printed and all Spanish exams have started!)
Embarc - Down to just 8 units left to go, the French 1 "missing" units. These are such bullshit but if it makes district office happy, they can have some bullshit guesses
Required events - husband's school's graduation is tonight and I'm semi-secretly hoping the rain we're supposed to get around 4pm is enough to cancel the baseball game at 7:30, though the storm is supposed to be strong and short...the boy did really well at his first baseball game last night, but it would just make my life easier not to have that scheduled today

Weekly Moment Garden posts - photos taken from a fun family Saturday out but no posts made yet. We went to the working farm/petting zoo (they call themselves a "children's farmstead and family attraction") and had SO much fun, then out for lunch and the first paletas of the summer :) 
Quilt - actually still untouched...it wasn't a conscious deal but essentially I traded my quilting time from the weekend for said family time out and honestly, it was well worth it!

• Like 2

You said it @Everstorm! School ended on Thursday. I basically spent Friday in an exhausted haze (not helped by the fact both kids were done with school as well but my husband was not). Saturday I was trying to get myself together but it was slow going - and then the storms hit. Basically no one in the house slept that night between the storm itself, emergency sirens going off, and one or both kids waking up scared multiple times. And then we lost power and didn't get it back until about 1pm on Monday, so we were busy running around town doing things like begging family members for freezer space and playing with the other little cousins in backyards while the adults picked up storm debris. 

So here I am, finally ready to tackle Summer Gauntlet #2! In some ways, the rougher start to the summer will actually make this a bit easier, in that I never really had a chance to lose as much momentum as normal.

So with no further ado, the official update for Summer Gauntlet #2:

As anticipated, I have struggled keeping this up. Right now I'm doing better with dinner (both we're pretty darn likely to have meat at dinner, so there's always protein available, and for whatever reason I'm doing a great job of getting a good amount of water in with my meal). But I do need to re-build up the focus on breakfast and lunch, as well as upping my water some more. I've not done a great job of tracking it but there's no way I've hit even 100 ounces on any day since Thursday.

After some chatting with the husband, I think regular family walks are still probably the best way to go for the moment! Hoping to fit in at least 2 before we leave for our camping trip at the end of the challenge (well, actually hoping for more, but at least 2!)

Quilting time didn't happen at all before school let out 🤦🏼‍♀️ and then I did the stupid thing of signing up for that quilt block swap...plus I also found an adorable free pattern for a summer baby dress that I have a really great fabric for...so definitely hoping for some great time in the sewing room for sure! For now, I'm going to just focus on the quilt bits though. I'm going to add row 2/3 to 1 on Baby Girl's quilt, at least start row 4, and complete at least 8 blocks for the swap (they are small blocks, so we need a lot more than usual!)

Kitchen time technically already started with a batch of cookies yesterday...that I promptly screwed up because I was halfway through getting the ingredients out when Baby Girl started screaming for food, so my husband took over for a little bit, and we got mixed up and only put half the correct amount of butter into the dough. It is a fixable mistake - you melt the rest of the butter as little as possible and mix it in at the end - but it does mess with the texture and color a little bit. Still tasty though and still better than throwing away an entire batch of dough! I went to start freezing some but realized we are out of freezer tape, so that'll be goal #1 hahaha. Then I'm going to freeze a batch worth's of cookies, even if I have to make a second batch to actually do so (approximately 5 "bundles" for lack of a better word) and start prepping for Baby Girl's half birthday! I saw online where someone made a half of a cake for their baby's half birthday and I'm really tempted to try it myself now because it was so cute 😄

Travel research also started, kinda. My husband and I chatted and we agreed that this trip will be the one where we try to hike Popo (the famous volcano that's just a little bit outside Puebla, the city where most of the family lives) which has been something we've talked about doing for a few years now. I've also proposed we use part of our time in Mexico City to see the floating gardens of Xochimilco. Quite a bit more research needs to be done on both of those, and then we still need to research and pick a third city. For the length of this challenge, I'm thinking I'll make some initial lists of possible activities/draws for the third locations we've discussed so far (Oaxaca City, Campeche (city), or somewhere in Chiapas)? Might get distracted and work some more on Mexico City or Puebla. We'll see. This is all still pretty loosey-goosey at the moment!

Not sure where I want to start with this to be honest...I'm thinking Spanish. So the brand new Spanish teacher we hired to take over Spanish 1 - the one I was so excited about since she was an actual language professional with years of experience and she was going to be such a huge help and I wasn't going to have to worry about that year being such a hodgepodge mess of crap anymore and so on and so forth?? Yeah, she signed her contract and then resigned a few days later. Another school district gave her an offer she preferred. And the worst part is? Out of the other two original applicants, one already signed somewhere else as well and the other withdrew his application because he said our pay scale was too low. So no backup plan is in place either. Joy. I'm thinking I might prep some stuff for the Spanish 1 curriculum because it has been such a god awful mess...so I have an idea for an easy first few lessons, so I'll probably try to gather those, and I'm also looking at the first week of Spanish 2 for easier ways to build up some student confidence, especially given the fact I know they're not ready for 2 because of all the nonsense that's been happening in the year 1 position for a while now...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Basically no one in the house slept that night between the storm itself, emergency sirens going off, and one or both kids waking up scared multiple times. And then we lost power and didn't get it back until about 1pm on Monday, so we were busy running around town doing things like begging family members for freezer space and playing with the other little cousins in backyards while the adults picked up storm debris. 

Oh wow!  I am so grateful all of you are okay.

15 hours ago, kcaleece said:

It is a fixable mistake - you melt the rest of the butter as little as possible and mix it in at the end - but it does mess with the texture and color a little bit.

I recently learned a helpful little trick for softening butter without melting it.  You microwave a glass/ceramic bowl filled with water (no butter) until the water boils (1-3 minutes).  Pour out the water, then turn the bowl upside-down over the butter to rap the heat in.  7-10 minutes and you have softened butter.

Enjoy your well-deserved down time!

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

On 5/29/2024 at 7:57 AM, Everstorm said:

Oh wow!  I am so grateful all of you are okay.

Yes, we are all perfectly fine! Honestly for as much property damage as the storm did around the city, there was very little human damage, which is always great news. It did remind me that I haven't updated our tornado supplies for the year yet - and I'll have to add baby supplies for the first time in several years!!

On 5/29/2024 at 7:57 AM, Everstorm said:

I recently learned a helpful little trick for softening butter without melting it.  You microwave a glass/ceramic bowl filled with water (no butter) until the water boils (1-3 minutes).  Pour out the water, then turn the bowl upside-down over the butter to rap the heat in.  7-10 minutes and you have softened butter.

Enjoy your well-deserved down time!

I will definitely have to try that trick! I am excellent at either not having enough pre-planning to soften my butter ahead of time or putting it out with good intentions only to get busy and then find it's way too soft. The latter I have done enough times that I can work with it, but it does get super messy so quick when the boy wants to help!

Baby Girl has been sleeping like shit the last few nights, so I've been sleeping through breakfast (which is problematic from a nutritional standpoint at least). I have been trying to eat oatmeal, peanut butter, and still make my sausage-egg-cheese wraps though. And I hit my water goal yesterday! (but not on Tuesday and I'm behind today...)

no walks yet, but that's largely because we've been super busy - today was the big day where we moved the boy into his brand new Big Boy Bedroom, complete with a new twin bed and everything! - and tomorrow is supposed to rain all day. Perhaps we'll start over the weekend.

Quilting - surprisingly, despite that, I did have time to complete the first 3 blocks for the block swap yesterday! They go together a bit faster than expected, though I am also a much slower sewist than many. It'd be nice to get to overshoot my goal of 8 by the end of this challenge, since I need 64 by mid July...

Kitchen - I got more freezer tape and froze packages 1 and 2 today! The cookies are starting to go just a tiny bit stale though, so I'm going to pause there and wait to make another batch before I freeze any more.

Travel research - have not made any more progress yet

Spanish 1, Unit 1, Week 1 - some technical progress in terms of things like brainstorming, but nothing concrete yet

Spanish 2, Unit 1, Week 1 - some brainstorming and great outlining, but not enough progress/details made yet where I can leave it alone until August and still remember what the heck I was on about

• Like 2

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH How is there only a week left in this challenge already?!?!?!

Well, the quick updates - I caught another respiratory infection, yay, but I did get notification that I am officially promoted to Department Chair for next year! It's a whole $1,000 raise, haha, but I'll still take it, especially since the extra required workload is honestly pretty light. My son has finally gotten to start his baseball season after the first few games in a row were all cancelled. It's frustrating though because I swear he was doing better last season and for whatever reason this season he has decided to be scared of the ball? Not sure how to help that except lots and lots of backyard practice. Baby Girl has managed not to catch my cough, yay, and is doing really well staying upright all by herself if we put her into a sitting position. Pretty sure that (assuming she weighs enough) the doctor is going to tell us next week that she can start trying solid foods so we're excited for that! Otherwise we're scrambling to find a kennel for the dog because our normal family dogsitters backed out and the camping trip is coming up fast (it's THIS Friday through Sunday). But my sister-in-law had one of those bassinets that is meant to go on the ground anyway, so she's letting us borrow that which will be a perfect solution for the "how to sleep safely with an infant in a tent" dilemma. 

Challenge Update:

Eating and water are both like, mmmm, I'd say 70% right now. Going to need to come up with a better way to do this for sure.

We got 1 walk in on Friday when there was a surprise sunny break and we were out and about town anyway 👍 It was shorter than intended but hey, at least we got it in.

Quilting - currently at 5 blocks complete for the swap (with 6 and 7 not far behind honestly). Haven't touched Baby Girl's quilt though and I might wait until after the camping trip to do so, since I got nervous about getting the swap blocks done in time.

Kitchen - Cookie goal reached! My son got very upset about not being able to help with the last batch of cookies, so we baked another one faster than I expected to and I froze #3, 4, and 5 out of that one. Yay!

Travel research - looked up a bunch of stuff in Oaxaca City, decided I didn't care what was in the other places because Oaxaca seems so freaking awesome to me, and then my husband said that given the fact we are currently ahead on our budget goals, maybe we could expand and go to 4 places this trip?? So I still am going to look up our other ideas to see what's there.

Spanish 1, Unit 1, Week 1 - essentially no progress since last post honestly, just found a video I'd include and that's about it

Spanish 2, Unit 1, Week 1 - excellent outlining, Monday through Wednesday totally complete and Thursday is in progress 👍 plus I've even started outlining week 2 a bit because I got distracted

• Like 2

Congrats on the promotion! Absolute bummer that the Spanish teacher you were counting on backed out though!! Are they going to keep looking through the summer, or are you definitely doing Spanish again next year?

Have an amazing camping trip and good luck finding a kennel!

• Like 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

On 6/4/2024 at 8:20 AM, athousandwords said:

Congrats on the promotion! Absolute bummer that the Spanish teacher you were counting on backed out though!! Are they going to keep looking through the summer, or are you definitely doing Spanish again next year?

Oh, both. No matter who they find, I will be carrying the lion's share of work in the World Languages department - I'll for 100% sure have Spanish 2, 3, and 4 as well as French 1, 2, and possibly 3. The question is two fold: who is teaching Spanish 1? and can they maybe take some sections of Spanish 2 as well or no? with the latter question being partly dependent on who they find and partly dependent on enrollment numbers.

What sucks about losing the other teacher is that 1) she was an actual language professional I could count on to teach 1 well - Spanish 2 is incredibly difficult for kids because it ends up being Spanish 1 and 2 crammed into a single year, as I desperately need to catch kids up from whatever nonsense passed as their first year class due to having random warm bodies standing in that position for the last several years rather than real, trustworthy teachers and 2) I was hoping, since I have also written all of the curriculums myself minus Spanish 1, to both get someone competent to write the Spanish 1 curriculum so I wouldn't have to as well as get some actually useful and worthwhile feedback on what I have created to continue progressing it. Now my only hope is that they find someone at all so we can maintain the warm body status quo, sigh. 🤦🏼‍♀️

On 6/3/2024 at 5:18 PM, Everstorm said:

Congrats on your promotion!

Thank you! It was expected, given that I'm now senior in the department, but it's still nice for that to be actually acknowledged (and honestly, $1,000 is more of a raise than I thought it would be!)

On 6/4/2024 at 8:20 AM, athousandwords said:

Have an amazing camping trip and good luck finding a kennel!

Well we did, but due to some issues getting the dog's paperwork together (long story short, we can't get some of the paperwork from the vet until Saturday when we were supposed to drop the dog off on Friday) but luckily the campground has our exact campsite open right after us, so we were able to just modify our reservation slightly. So instead of 2 nights starting on Friday afternoon, we will go for 2 nights starting on Sunday afternoon. I've been consoling the boy child with the fact that Friday is super hot and the only rainstorm forecasted for the next several days is Saturday morning, so we'll actually get a nicer trip out of it this way too! 3 days of sun and wonderfully moderate temperatures 👍

Challenge Update:

Eating isn't doing too hot, but I think I've gotten better at the water. I'm at least getting to the last water bottle most days now, though I might not get through it.

Second walk complete! Another short one just last night because it was such a beautiful night, but a walk was had nevertheless! 

Quilting - currently at 7 blocks complete for the swap with a whole bunch of cutting out pieces to do next honestly (I have a bad habit of not cutting enough, sewing all of that, and then needing to pause and cut more)

Kitchen - Cookie goal reached!

Travel research - Found a great website that explained Campeche and got me excited to maybe do some cool Yucatan day trips...so I chatted with the husband about it and now he wants me to add Hidalgo state to the list of places to research 🤦🏼‍♀️ hahaha it's never-ending!

Spanish 1, Unit 1, Week 1 - no progress since last post, trying to decide if I'm motivated or not

Spanish 2, Unit 1, Week 1 - done!!

• Like 2

Last post for the challenge! (since we leave tomorrow for our mini camping trip)

No real change, though I've been working on trying to get that water intake back up. It's definitely been a struggle though.

Second walk complete :)

Quilting - blocks 8, 9, and 10 are started, but only barely...hopefully I can finish them today!

Kitchen - Cookie goal reached!

Travel research - Decided to expand all cities into state-wide searches, in case there was something else cool nearby that would be easy to add to a little mini circle. I've got a start on Oaxaca, now I'm just debating how far to take it. There are really only 3 touristic towns in the state of Oaxaca, and we've already been to one of them, so that helped make it quick. And then I added a 4th that really arguably should be more popular with tourists and has some fascinating archeology (one of my driving interests is pre-hispanic Mexico, so I'm always down for a good indigenous complex, and this place has almost an entire town of Zapotec ruins AND even older painted caves!).

That would be the end of the state, honestly...except Mexico also has this program called "magical towns" which is supposed to be a way to highlight those exact kinds of small but extra beautiful and/or important places that get overlooked easily, but it has grown and grown to the point where there are now almost 200 of these towns, so it's not exactly the kind of "must-see checklist" it was originally meant to be. Anyway, there are 4 in Oaxaca state - 1 is that 4th city I already added to our list, now I just need to decide if the other 3 might be worth the extra time and hassle to get there or not, especially with little ones.

Spanish 1, Unit 1, Week 1 - surprisingly, done! Got the entire thing knocked out yesterday. It helps tremendously that I'm not bothering to make these full lesson plans, just clear outlines and material gathering.

Spanish 2, Unit 1, Week 1 - done!

• Like 2

Hope you're having a great time on your camping trip and enjoying the beautiful weather! I gotta say, I'm living vicariously through your Mexico planning - sounds like a dream trip!

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel