kamino_map.png

Probably not to a planet I can't find.

Where I Was
In 2013, I joined a gym with group fitness classes and lost about 60 pounds. It was the start of my road to become what was unquestionably my best self.

I did a lot of stuff once I got healthier. I climbed up and ran down a bunch of ski hills and mountains. I ran a LOT of trails. I ran dozens of road and trail events, and even though I finished awfully close to last in a lot of them, I enjoyed every one. I participated in nearly 100 Obstacle Course races - mostly Spartan Race - and became proficient enough at obstacles that I competed at the Age Group level for two years, qualifying for the OCR World Championships for the 50-55 year age bracket, where I did not finish last (but I could see it from where I was). And I traveled a LOT for races, and got to meet some awesome people, including a solid handful of amazing Nerds from this place. 

hoth_system_map.png

A disproportionate number of those events were obnoxiously cold.

Where I Am 

In the years since, age, arthritis, and changinig responsibilities helped strip me of the fitness and skills I had acquired for all those things. I am, for all intents and purposes, back where I was in 2013, except I am that much older and now have fun things like arthritis and Long COVID.

skywalker_map.png

And yes, I've felt kind of lost, like Luke Skywalker and also the plot thread in the sequels

Where I Need To Be

I can't stay where I am. I need to move, figuratively, in just about every way.

map_to_peridea.jpg

Fitness was home and I need to come home.

Hereforth, Three SMART  goals and a squishy Fourth (because May the Fourth, of course)

Move Forward

Working from home is a blessing: it saves me a TON of money for gas and wear and tear on my vehicle. A hidden drawback is that I spend too many hours at my desk and take too few breaks.  I need to be intentional about it.

Goal: Walk, hike or run for 30 minutes every day.

Move Upward

I absolutely loved strength training. I loved bodyweight exercises and free weights. I was a deadlift guy. At one point I could do 10 strict pull-ups. I want my functional strength back.

Goal:  30 minutes of either body weight or free weight training per day.

Move Downward

I had a TON of success with nutritional tracking. It was a habit and I was very, very successful in maintaining a healthy lifestyle without it being an unhealthy obsession.

Goal:  Track all my food intake so I can get a handle on my nutritional goals.

Move Inward

I have always just had Too Much. I have too many kids, I shoulder too much responsibility for my household, I have assumed too many volunteer responsibilites, and my job asks too much of me. I need to set aside some quiet time and make prioritizing my own self-care and my own mental health and making that a habit before someone has to do it for me.

Squishy Goal: Spend at least 15 minutes per day in intentional meditation to help reduce anxiety, stress, and general mental noise.

I hope this is a moving experience.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

Y'all

This is what coming home feels like.

17 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Back on the forums just before May the 4th huh?

Must have been summoned by my Nerdson. The Force is strong in my family.

14 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Duuuuude!  I remember you from back then, you are such an inspiration!  You were one of the people that made me love OCRs, which I still miss dammit. (You may remember me as Phoenix Burning from those days.)

Thanks! It was fun to have so many people here that were enjoying the activity (sport? It was kind of a sport) at the same time.  

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Well, well, look who's back!  B)

Thanks! It's nice to see some familiar names.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EricMN said:

Y'all

This is what coming home feels like.

I like this so much for you.

2 hours ago, EricMN said:

Must have been summoned by my Nerdson. The Force is strong in my family.

YOU OVERESTIMATE MY POWAH!

• Like 1

Lvl 61 Multitasker

Weekend Update

kashhyk.jpg

Pre-challenge, so I wasn't doing any tracking, but it wasn't an abject failure, either.

Saturday my fiancée and I attended a family wedding. I had the chicken breast with asparagus spears and mashed potatoes and I opted not to drink as I was driving. It was a nice evening.

Last year - late summer into fall - I had to replace my garden shed as the previous winter's snow had collapsed the cheap tin version that I had put in back in 2018. It was unsuited to a Minnesota winter and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I built this one myself from construction lumber and it's more of a three- or four-season extra room in the backyard (depending on how hot the temps are as there's no air conditioning so far). This past weekend I worked on cleaning out some of the storage items and cleaning in general. I'm hoping to have some time in the evenings to install all the wiring for the ceiling lights and the wall outlets so I can get the interior walls finished. 

shed_v1.jpg

Chimney for the wood stove heater.

I ran out of time to do the siding before winter hit; I'll be on that and the facia and soffits next, probably, so that it's not a neighborhood eyesore.

On 5/3/2024 at 2:51 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

YOU OVERESTIMATE MY POWAH!

I find your lack of faith disturbing. 

• Like 5

Monday

dandelion_fields.jpg

They're really pretty when they're not my lawn.

I am a creature of habit. 

I have had the same employer (generally speaking - corporate merger) since October of 2012. When I began my "get healthy, happy, and strong" trek in February of 2013, I developed habits around that job. I rearranged my workday around my workout habits. I did meal prep so that I would always have a prepared meal with a known nutritional value so I could track it. I had my team schedule weekly meetings so I could go to the trail right near our office and run. And I scheduled my gym classes so that I would stop at the gym on my commute home from work.

Moving to a full-time work-from-home arrangement just over four years ago disrupted all of that. 

Monday, I started the road to building it all back up.

Move Forward

Yesterday I took a 30-minute walk around my neighborhood. It was gorgeous. The trees are blooming and so are some of the open spaces near my home. There are fields of dandelions and wild violets just a short walk from my front door. 

Move Upward

I didn't do any specific training but I spent an hour moving all our patio furniture back out of storage. It was lifting!

Move Downward

I tracked literally every bite yesterday. The even better news was that in doing so, I made a couple of conscious decisions to eschew eating some junk.

Move Inward

I found a couple months ago that I have a specific piece of classical music that, when I use it to focus, can help me turn everything else off. It's long, the tempo works for my brain, and the tempo does not change for the entirety of the piece.

I listened to it on repeat before starting my workday. It was a nice way to start out centered.

23 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Nice job on the shed!

Thank you! It's a good start.

21 hours ago, Laghail said:

Meditation and inward movement, paired with more external movement? I'm down.

Glad to have you.

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

So good to see you here. Welcome back. Cheering you on.Star Wars Salute GIF

Thank you. It's good to see you again.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, EricMN said:

I found a couple months ago that I have a specific piece of classical music that, when I use it to focus, can help me turn everything else off.

For me it's the Waltz of the Flowers from the Nutcracker Suite.  Lately I've been trying to sync my golf swing to it.  :D

• Like 1

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

On 5/8/2024 at 1:05 AM, EricMN said:

The even better news was that in doing so, I made a couple of conscious decisions to eschew eating some junk.

I like this for you.

On 5/8/2024 at 1:05 AM, EricMN said:

I found a couple months ago that I have a specific piece of classical music that, when I use it to focus, can help me turn everything else off. It's long, the tempo works for my brain, and the tempo does not change for the entirety of the piece.

Also like this for you. The tempo has to be a big deal, it's a nice solid march but instead of some glorious grandiose melody, you get a calm one with variations on a theme.

Enough of Monday's update. It's Thursday already, let us know how the challenge goes!

• Like 1

Lvl 61 Multitasker

Tuesday

data_vault.png

It's bad when my "normal" workday winds up feeling like this.

My day got pretty much derailed at work. For context, the C-suite folks decided last October to "transition" all of our desktop support technicians, networking technicians, and server administrators to a third-party IT support consulting firm. Great for the corporate P&Ls, great for executive stock options, TERRIBLE for anyone trying to do anything. I've been trying to get a new application suite installed into a new environment since January.  I met for hours this week with the support people and they still can't figure out how to get me access to the three servers that were built for this purpose. It's the equivalent of saying "I bought this house" and the bank saying "There it is, but good luck finding the keys".  I earned the following badge on Tuesday:

DadHasHadIt.png

Not my proudest moment. Not my least proudest moment, either.

This took HOURS of my time and left me in kind of a bad headspace.

Move Forward
I'm trying hard to make this a new habit.  I intentionally walked away from my desk today. It had a LOT to do with needing the time away from work after fighting with my support vendor in the meetings above.

Favorite photo from Tuesday's walk.

Spoiler

wildflowers.jpg

Move Upward

No planned workout. More work in the shed and getting things set up in the yard for the Outside Months.

Move Downward

Another day of full tracking. I should start posting everything daily just to keep myself honest like old-school @darkfoxx.

Move Inward

Another 30 minutes with me and Ravel. 

Wednesday

data_vault2.png

These people had more access to data than I do at this moment.

Another almost full day of badgering the IT Support people into trying to get the approved accesses granted. On Wednesday, I was given three accounts that should work on all three of my servers. All three accounts can log in. None of those three accounts has rights to actually ~do~ anything on those systems. To extend the house metaphor above, I was basically shown a window where I can look into the house but can't actually go in and accomplish anything. I was told "We'll be looking at it later" and then told "You'll have to make a separate request for that access". I got no reply when I forwarded that existing request for those accesses that THEY ALREADY TOLD ME WERE GRANTED and clearly are not. I feel like I'm asking "Can I have a key?" and am receiving the answer "Yes, pancakes with syrup, you're welcome."

Move Forward

45 minute walk during my lunch. Favorite photo from Wednesday's walk:

Spoiler

gian_crabapple.jpg

Move Upward

I moved our 10x10 Gazebo from the yard to the patio and set it up. I'm going to work on getting a written bodyweight and free weight plan by this coming Monday so I'm being intentional about it.

Move Downward

I tracked everything. We had our last Youth Group dinner of the school year and they served takeout pizza because most of the kids like it. They also served Rice Krispy treats which are very Krispy and very Treaty but not really my palate so at least I didn't overdo this.

Move Inward

Me and Ravel. Once in the morning and once in the evening.

On 5/8/2024 at 8:49 AM, DrFeelgood said:

For me it's the Waltz of the Flowers from the Nutcracker Suite.  Lately I've been trying to sync my golf swing to it.  :D

That sounds like a cool exercise.

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

The tempo has to be a big deal, it's a nice solid march but instead of some glorious grandiose melody, you get a calm one with variations on a theme.

Exactly. Ravel himself doesn't even consider the piece "music". He said it's just an exercise and was upset it became his most popular composition. I think it's soothing and spiritual. It makes my brain happy.

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Enough of Monday's update. It's Thursday already, let us know how the challenge goes!

I had Tuesday sitting in drafts all day yesterday and with the way work was going I needed to walk away. I appreciate the encouragement.

• Like 4

giphy.gif

Update

So it's been a minute.

I posted my last update on the anniversary of my 57th trip around the sun. It was a good couple of days. I took time off of work, I took a couple of solid hikes and spent some time working on the wiring and interior walls of my shed.

Spoiler

20240512_shed_interior.jpg
The wall doesn't look like much but I spent hours running electrical wire and connecting outlets and switches and that doesn't make for compelling photos.

My family took me out for sushi two days in a row and then cooked me dinner on the third day. It was a fabulous weekend.

Monday rolled around, and I came down with a miserable stomach bug that lasted eight days. I reclaimed my ability to remain vertical for more than 30 minutes at a time, but it has taken me a couple days to be able to eat anything of substance that isn't part of the BRAT diet and regain enough energy to do much.

I'm finally on the mend and I'm going to I pick up my challenge goals starting today.

• Like 6