OH HAI!

I've known about Nerd Fitness for a little over a year, thanks to my husband, fellow Rebel LWatcher1, and another Rebel friend of mine. However, I've never done anything about it until recently. I hadn't been motivated to do anything exercise-related for...well...since I graduated high school and no longer was forced to attend tortu--I mean, gym classes. Like a lot of other people, I was complacent. Having a history of severe asthma that's still occasionally triggered by too much physical activity was demotivating, as well.

But everything changed last year.

In 2011, my Army Reservist husband was sent to a year-long deployment to Afghanistan. I decided that while he was gone, I was going to achieve a dream that I'd hung on to for five years, and go back to college. So I packed up our apartment, got a place to live in the next state over, and rebooted my senior year of college.

My husband returned from Afghanistan April 1 of this year (no fooling!), and watched me graduate with my B.A. on May 5.

These events made me realize two very important things: first, I was a lot mentally tougher than I'd been giving myself credit for. Second, I wasn't doomed to be a washout and a failure. I realized that I could achieve goals, even lofty ones. But what really pushed me over the edge was rather less inspiring. To my chagrin, I discovered that I had gained 20 pounds during the past year.

And so, here I am.

I've already identified and changed several things I was doing wrong (like eating out way too much). But I've decided to go even further than just losing weight. Steve's "How to Become a Superhero" post made something click in my mind.

I'm going to be a heroine.

I have a vision of my Level 50, and a workout plan. (It's a spliced-up mutant amalgism of the beginner sets from the Body Weight, Warm-Up and Parkour blog posts.)

I'm excited to be on this new adventure, even if my body doesn't agree with me right now. That's okay. My body will come around, and once it does, I'll be that much closer to going from zero to hero.

Well, "heroine," technically, but "zeroine" is weird, and not a word, so it kinda breaks the catchy phrase.

Anyway!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Glad to be here!

Congratulations on your B.A.! Going back to school is tough, but I bet you're super glad that you saw it through.

Also, congratulations on starting your journey! I'm also new to these boards, but I've found folks here to be really supportive and helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Enjoy!

SD

It never gets easier, you just get better.

Blog -- 1st Challenge! -- Log -- Pinterest -- Goodreads