"4-Hour Body" - Thoughts? Comments? Rants? Flames?

I flipped though it today. Similar reaction, in that a lot of it's great, and a lot of it less so. He praises Arthur Jones to the high heavens at several points, and I don't really see his contributions to the strength game as being all positive.

Plenty of interesting ideas in there, though.

Good, conversational style that he excels at.

I noticed a lot of the chapters are basically reprints from his blog. Not that this is a bad thing, but advise potential buyers to check there first to see the kind of stuff the book addresses.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I read a review that says his diet is basically Paleo in nature, so I wouldn't buy the book for that reason. But in general, it seems pretty interesting. I'd like to check it out myself!

One thing I really want to see is this thing he's advertising: 2-hour sleep. WTF, is that even healthy? Isn't the basis of muscle-gain sleep?

Curious.

His diet isn't paleo, it contains beans and wine. His diet is "slow carb". You can read it it on his blog.

I've read most of the diet stuff, and it is kinda interesting. There are a few interesting tweaks that have potential, e.g. about 5 minutes before you eat, do about 50 squats (he excuses himself to the bathroom) to get your muscles ready to soak up nutrients via GLUT-4 response.

Generally, I am checking the research each assertion. He does seem to have done his homework.

I do like the "spotting bad science" chapters towards the end.

Here is the first direct flaw I've found in book.

In Four Body, Ferriss cites a Duke study saying that Splenda was found to destroy helpful bacteria in the gut of mice. However, some quick research reveals that he isn't telling the full story.

In an article from the New York Times published September 22, 2008, Browning reports that the research was "financed by the Sugar Association, the lobbying group for the natural-sugar industry".

In September 2009, Foodnavigator.com reported the following, "Studies reporting that sucralose may be detrimental to gut health were “not scientifically rigorousâ€, and the totality of evidence supports the safety of the sweetener, an expert panel has concluded" citing research in Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology.

So, Splenda...good? bad? No info yet.

That being said, it did get me thinking about the Splenda I put in my coffee in the morning.

I skimmed through the book briefly today. Some interesting stuff, or at least good food for thought. I don't know if this is just me but I found something about the style of this off-putting. I thought he came across quite full of himself at times and the book seemed a bit disorganised in places. Maybe it'll change if/when I read more, but I was a bit let down compared with Four Hour Work Week.

One thing I really want to see is this thing he's advertising: 2-hour sleep. WTF, is that even healthy? Isn't the basis of muscle-gain sleep?

I was interested in the idea of polyphasic sleep (20 minutes every 4 hours) a while ago and had a brief attempt at it a couple of years ago. I quickly looked the chapter on this today as I was interested to see what he said on this but it doesn't have much information, especially compared with the detail in some of the other chapters. There's a lot of info on the web if you're interested. Steve Pavlina is probably the most well know person to have done this and has a very interesting journal on his blog. There's also a great ebook "Ubersleep" by puredoxyk.

I don't think there is any way it can be optimal for health but I wonder (1) exactly how bad it would be and (2) if you could justify that cost by how extra time you gain?

I skimmed through the book briefly today. Some interesting stuff, or at least good food for thought. I don't know if this is just me but I found something about the style of this off-putting. I thought he came across quite full of himself at times and the book seemed a bit disorganised in places. Maybe it'll change if/when I read more, but I was a bit let down compared with Four Hour Work Week.

Sums up much of what I think. It kinda makes it painful to readthrough.

I'm aware he says that you aren't supposed to read it start to finish, but by the same token, that isn't an excuse for the disorganization.

I just wanted to toss in my opinion on the whole matter, and even without reading the book, I can see it already lines up with everyone's take on the book.

So much so in today's life, we are marketed to 24/7. We read these stories of grandeur and adventure and immediately want to emulate these blog writers. Oh wow! They are selling books on how they did it!? For only $10!!? SIGN ME UP!

That is the mentality that they are trying to capture, however, how someone will be able to write a constant, maintained, blog on the same topic that he covers in the book, does not really make me want to run out and buy a book, that I can already conceive is nothing more than re-prints of his blog.

What he is selling is that it is all organized, in one place. And well, that place, from your take(s) seems to be very disorganized.

But, to a point, I guess in the end, he wins. Why? Because we are still talking about him

Only going based on what you folks have commented on, I'm reminded of this scene from Something About Mary.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/loopytube/videos/819/

If you can get a pillar of strength body in 5 hours a week, you can do it in 4! If you can get a full nights sleep in 7 hours, you can do it in 2!

I dunno, maybe there's some truth to it but it all just seems a little bit fishy.

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Me | My Youtube | Facebook | RunKeeper

I'm picking up a kindle in a few weeks in prep for my trip, so I won't be buying the book until i can get it in e-book form.

I expect a very similar type book to the 4-hour workweek: lots of crazy claims, some pretty solid results, and tons of food for thought :)

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I'm picking up a kindle in a few weeks in prep for my trip, so I won't be buying the book until i can get it in e-book form.

I expect a very similar type book to the 4-hour workweek: lots of crazy claims, some pretty solid results, and tons of food for thought :)

-S

Exactly.

After buying my kindle, I somewhat scoff at having to buy actual books.

I purchased my boyfriend a kindle for his birthday. Its like our child. Its not allowed to leave the house unless its cozily resting in its special reinforced steel and plastic holder.

I still love real books however.

I'm planning on picking up a copy tonight actually. A buddy of mine has turned me against scales (and to calipers) and talked me into feeding my protein habit. He also recommended this book.

I looked at the blog and I'm not going to lie....I kinda thought....just maybe..he was a bit of a dick. =D

I DON"T like it when people tell me that everything I do is wrong but they have a magical fix everything pill for it. I believe that we each work differently and that the only way any of this crazy shit works is through patience, trail and error.

That being said, his blog has some pretty awesome suggestions. A good amount of food for thought and things you can try to see if they work for you. I just recommend listening to your body. For she is a lady and knows what pleases her.

"Dreams aren't a gamble, They're a hustle."

After buying my kindle, I somewhat scoff at having to buy actual books.

I don't scoff, just we have no room for paper books in the house unless they cannot be found on kindle format or have items that don't work in kindle format. Our house has floor to ceiling built in bookcases in every room (yes, including the bathroom) and they are all full of book. Yet my kindle has over 100 books on it and I have a wish list of about 400 I want to get, not to mention the free kindle books I am slowly going through.

I love my kindle!

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Agree that Tim can come across as a dick, and it's easy to make the claim he's full of himself from his writing. However, I think he's a hell of a marketer, is probably a great friend to those in his group, and he does a LOT of good for charity (he donates so much to DonorsChoose it's crazy). He's good at getting you to click on articles, read his books, listen to his interviews, watch his videos...Tim is probably the best online marketer I know.

I'm only about a chapter into the book, but i can already tell it's going to elicit the same response the 4 Hour Workweek did to me. Sure there are sections that seem way too good to be true, but most importantly it will get me thinking about what's possible when you think outside the box. I'm not making a million dollar working only 4 hours a week, but I did quit my job to start an online business and am getting ready to embark on an adventure around the world.

If I never discovered 4HWW, I might still be a sales rep for a construction equipment company in California, and Nerd Fitness most certainly would not exist. So, Tim is indirectly/directly reason I'm here, the reason this site exists, and the reason for my drastic life changes over the past few years. For that I am quite thankful.

With the 4-Hour Body, I hope to discover some cool tips/tricks/hacks for building muscle and pushing my body to the limit. Love him or hate him, he gets you talking.

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I've had the book for over a week now and I've done the bulk of the reading. The book is, as with 4HWW, infotainment. It's Mythbusters. It's got some interesting ideas, lots of great stories, and more for people who want to be a little crazy.

I think one misconception is that he preaches 'simple' changes. Simple != easy. The slow carb diet is pretty rigid, but with it comes a promise of excellent results. His bulking up section relates to a few "simple" exercises done with proper form and on a regular schedule, but it is still a tiring and difficult workout.

The book isn't going to end up being the bible for health-minded individuals. But it will appeal to a certain segment of people, and a fair number of them are keyboard jockies - people interested in reading and debating in forums, without ever really getting out there and doing stuff. So the actual people who take the paths he discusses are going to be few and far between. I mean, how many people tried to talk their bosses into the working remotely and traveling the world as he outlined in the 4HWW?

I'm setting out on the slowcarb diet, we'll see how it goes. I'm at 350lbs and 40% body fat, so I've got a ways to go, and I need a rigid eating framework or else I find it too easy to cheat.

Patrick "Trick" JarrettTwitter

Minotaur working to be a Ranger in the Pacific Northwest.

My Battle Log

I actually like the Slow-Carb diet. I read it when it was still just a blog post on his site. It's actually very consistent with South Beach/Atkins/Zone when you realize that "Beans" are considered a "meat" on many diets. In the 70s the term would have been "Complex Carbohydrates". Either way, it boils down to doing fewer sugars, as low glycemic as possible, and high fiber when picking carbohydrates. Most of my Breakfast and Lunch meals fit this formula and has been working.

That being said, I STILL count calories - I'm convinced that this is the foundation of weight loss, everything else just falls into the category of "helpers".

I had great success on Slow-Carb. I lost about thirty pounds on it over the course of three months doing it. I started eating Slow-Carb again this week (tried going Primal the last couple of months, didn't really take for me) and I'm expecting great results.

Agree that Tim can come across as a dick, and it's easy to make the claim he's full of himself from his writing.

The funny thing about that, is that, I can accept Tim's writing for what it is. It can get a bit salacious (Sex Machine anyone?) but the way Tim presents and words the passages, it's more like he's letting his personality shine through, and through that, authenticity. I've slammed other authors for a lot less dickery.

I'm doing Slow-Carb, the temperature hacking stuff, and the testosterone increasing protocol for the next couple of months to see how it goes.