• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Alethea

Final Summary: Rebels, Report!

And thus ends November Team Challenge 2010: Working out With Class(es).

Individuals: All that is left (except for those of you who started late.. You're not off the hook yet! Go do some pushups! Hup hup hup!), is to brag. How did you do? How did you rock, what do you plan to improve on, what worked and what didn't? If you were to assign yourself an arbitrary grade, what would it be? A list of 4 finalists decided by the Spezz-Meister and myself will be submitted to Glorious Leader Steve to chose who leveled up their life the most.

Please post here as well as your individual threads, because going through every single one to be sure we didn't miss any is obnoxious.

Teams: Guys, we don't really have a grading system set for the teams yet, so I need your help. Can you please decide, as a team, how you did? Were you supportive? Were you helpful? Was there tough love when needed? Did you stalk eachother obsessively? Did individuals drop out, and did you try to get their arses moving again? Again, we'll pick a couple finalists, Mr. Kamb makes the final decision.

Report!

MY RESULTS FOR THE CHALLENGE!

Goals would be pretty much the same as the previous ones:

1. Exercise - After Thanksgiving, I'm planning on stepping up to 5 days a week from 4.

Eventually, I'll be posting more "times" for my Crossfit challenges and I can give specific "increase weight by X" or "Do a Fran in under 3 minutes" (just an example, no I'm not that good....yet).

OK, I'm getting there. My Friday workout hasn't quite taken shape consistently yet. However, I am doing MTW and Sat. I'm also doing general step ups in activity.

2. Stay under calorie count and eat healthy and "South Beach/Zone-ish" <- Extra challenging over the holidays

Didn't do as well on this as I did in the last challenge. Holidays are making it harder. That being said, I am getting better at estimating calories, building the habit of counting and figuring out how to order when I go out to eat.

3. Continue Drinking Water - not caffeine.

Yay I drank LOTS of water!

but....

Posted Image

caffeine.

4. No candy - that isn't who I am anymore.

A++

Here we are, at the end of another challenge. Let's see how I matched up to my goals.

Goals:

1) Lose 6-8 lbs. My birthday is Feb. 24th. I want to be 220 by then. Currently I am 244. That is 14 weeks. If I maintain my other goals I should have no trouble with this amount.

I weighed in this morning at 240.6. That is a loss of 3.4 lbs. Not the 6 lbs. that I was hoping for but with everything else this month, that may have been a little adventurous. This is especially true with Thanksgiving thrown into this challenge. Grade: B

2) Complete the Power 90 routine. I thought initially about doing P90x but I don't honestly believe that I have the strength base to complete it effectively. I am planning to do P90 first, then P90M, then P90X. The change I will make is that instead of doing the cardio videos of P90 I will do my own cardio. I eventually want to get into sprint Tri's so I will try to run, swim and bike once each week for my cardio.

It is tough to decide how well I did on my exercise goal for the month. I didn't really follow the letter of the goal, but I did do a lot of exercise. I did a couple of P90 workouts, but I did a fair share too of resistance band training. Also, I didn't do any biking or swimming, but I have been doing the C25k program pretty faithfully for the past two weeks. Not a perfect month, but pretty good. Grade: B

3) Quit Smoking. Tried it last month. It almost worked but wasn't able to get over the first day. Hopefully this month will be better. I really feel that the smoking is causing me to take longer to recover and is hampering everything I try to accomplish in fitness as well as in life. I hate it, I can't believe I'm still doing it. I have got to get rid of this addiction.

I DID IT!!!!! Looking at my quit calendar right now, I haven't had a cigarette in 2 weeks, 9 hours and 35 minutes. Booyah! I finally made my mind up, and have stuck with it and it has been fairly pain free. It usually is when it is what you really want and from the beginning I could feel the difference. My heart was in it this time and the two weeks has just flown by. Grade: A+

Life Goal:

I am studying for my Linux+ certification. It is two tests for the cert. I would like to go over all of the study material for the first test this month. This way I can schedule and cram for the test as next month's goal.

Didn't do any of this at all. I feel pretty bad but it just got past me. Something to work on next month. Grade: F

Overall:

Looking at the month as a whole, if I had to give myself a grade, I would have to give it an A+. I know what you're thinking, I had two B's and an F. Well, the A+ that I did get trumps anything else I could have done this month short of cutting a limb off. There is nothing else I could have done in two weeks that has added more years onto my life than quitting those nasty cigarettes. I still worked out, both before and after the quit and the quit took all of the concentration I had. There was none to spare.

I feel so much better today than I did at the beginning of the month. My chest doesn't hurt, I don't get as many headaches. I can go for a jog in the cold without feeling like my lungs are going to shatter. I can see a difference in the mirror from the strength training. My arms are bigger, my chest is getting firm. I'm fitting into clothes that I couldn't just a couple months ago. I went for a run yesterday with snow falling all around me. At the beginning of the month the only reason I would have stepped out into the snow would have been to huddle and shiver while I sucked death into my lungs. Now I was breathing life, my ears filled with the sound of feet on pavement. It was wonderful. I know that I will never again be a smoker and being able to say honestly means that I passed this month's challenge with flying colors.

I feel so much better today than I did at the beginning of the month. My chest doesn't hurt, I don't get as many headaches. I can go for a jog in the cold without feeling like my lungs are going to shatter. I can see a difference in the mirror from the strength training. My arms are bigger, my chest is getting firm. I'm fitting into clothes that I couldn't just a couple months ago. I went for a run yesterday with snow falling all around me. At the beginning of the month the only reason I would have stepped out into the snow would have been to huddle and shiver while I sucked death into my lungs. Now I was breathing life, my ears filled with the sound of feet on pavement. It was wonderful. I know that I will never again be a smoker and being able to say honestly means that I passed this month's challenge with flying colors.

Your results post was full of so much win it's beyond win. Its so win I can't even describe it. I quit smoking years ago so I know exactly what you're talking about and you're right. You definitely deserve the A+ for your challenge this month. I'd be surprised if you don't make it to the finals for this challenge.

Unfortunately, my goals had to change halfway through, so I pretty much failed this one. However, I learned that I'm guaranteed the job I want when I enlist, which is so soon it's scary since I want to ship out in July or August. Oh well, at least for the next challenge and beyond, Push-Ups, Flutterkicks, and Chin-Ups aren't going to be changing any time soon, like say, four years from now at least, so... yeah. I am disappointed I couldn't make it but... I'm talking about my career, so, that's what I'm gonna pick.

Hope everybody else did better.

Here are my goals for this challenge:

Goals this challenge:

Pretty much the same as the last couple of challenges.

1. Eat paleo/primal. Shouldn't be a problem, as my way of eating is pretty dialed in now.

2. Do my club swinging workout 3 times a week. I have formulated my starting routine, and will post the details for it the first time I do it this challenge.

3. Rangers need to be flexible, so I am going to continue to do my yoga DVD at least twice a week (!!!).

4. To satisfy my sub-class requirement, I am going to play my guitar as often as possible, but no less than three times a week for at least 30 minutes a session.

I have a couple of side quests that I hope to accomplish this challenge, but they are in secret rooms in the dungeon. If I am successful, I will post them for bonus points.

My results:

1. Pretty much nailed it, a couple of things here and there that were questionable. 90%

2. Hit every scheduled workout, and increased the duration. 100%

3. Yoga !!! I think I did this 3 times a week this challenge. 100%

4. I played a lot of guitar this month. I could have played more, however, I am really glad to have music back in my life. 90%

Side quests:

One of them was to set up my recording equipment. Completely failed.

Another was to quit smoking. I made an attempt, however as of now I am still a smoker. I will be making this a top priority for the next challenge.

There were a couple of other things that I wanted to do, however, I did not get around to doing these either.

Bonus goals: fail!

I did get one of the weekly challenges in, albeit a few days late. The Big Chill game was awesome, and I am part of a world record setting crowd, as verified by Guinness!

My starting weight was 217. Sunday, I was 211. Today I was 213. I lost at least 4 pounds this challenge.

Overall, I would say that I earned a solid B+.

Your results post was full of so much win it's beyond win. Its so win I can't even describe it. I quit smoking years ago so I know exactly what you're talking about and you're right. You definitely deserve the A+ for your challenge this month. I'd be surprised if you don't make it to the finals for this challenge.

Thanks for the gratz Sandman. I actually quit for three years when I was 18, but I got complacent and started again. That was 5 years ago. It's hard to think about all of those cigarettes now. It was so much easier to quit knowing that there were people here who had my back and were counting on me to follow through. Most of the thanks goes to Alethea though, she recommended the Easy Way book by Allen Carr. That is one amazing book.

posted full results in my thread, but gave myself a C for the month.

1) Strength - only hit one of my goals, and went backwards on another one.

2) Conditioning - hit this 100%

3) Stretching - probably hit about 80%

4) Food/Fuel - eh. i slept a lot but mainly because I was sick. i ate big some days, not other days, depending on the lungmice.

5) Finances - back on track, and that makes me a very happy little girl.

Spezzy, you should totally get a B. 2 Cs, 2 Bs and an A averages into a B, dammit! Also, the times you were sick dont count for lowering your score. Especially since you went to the gym with bloody pneumonia!!

I sucked on account of injury and being generally whiny and self-pitying for this round. Getting a D hurts my self-love, so I shall just say I'm gracefully withdrawing from contention. :roll: Next challenge I shall be better. Being able to focus on my stretching and pilates instead of dreaming of ski trips and such will definitely keep me on track, and hopefully I'll find other foot-friendly activities.

Rightio

Regaining Strength.

Couple niggling injuries here that shouldn't have happened but oh well.

Powercleans: Hit 70kg Yest, Goal was 80

Deadlifts (Sumo): Hit 155kg the other day, Goal was 180

Squats: Hit 100kg Yest, Goal was 130kg

Muscleups: Can do 5 consecutive, Goal was 5 consecutive so that's a pass.

Weighted Chins: Did them reasonably comfortable at +30kg, didn't do these as much as I should have, Goal was +30kg

Weighted Dips: Comfortable at +40kg, goal was +50kg. Only attempted these once

OH Press: Stalled on account of elbow at 45-50kg ish, goal was 60kg.

Regan Abs:

I've been really good with the eating, not too much, not too little.

My BW fluctuates a fair bit but I'm actually not worried.

I didn't see as much improvement but looking in the mirror this morning, I look pretty damn good :)

Get Bendier:

I have a niggling back injury, I'm slowly getting it right.

I'm definitely more flexible in some areas but I've retreated slightly in others.

Still feeling reasonable about this, I tend to stretch daily now.

Overall a B+.

Could have been better, Could have been a lot worse.

Fitness goals:

1. Continue tracking my food and exercise and average a 350 calorie deficit per day

Week 1 I came up short by 6 calories. Week 2 way short thanks to holidays and travel. Week 3 & 4 knocked it out of the park. Averaged 500+ calorie deficits. B

2. Strength training at least 3 times a week

Did it 3 weeks out of 4, including the week I was on the road. Only got 1 workout during the week from Hell when I was running the office by myself. B

3. Hydrate! Start carrying a water bottle and shoot for 64 fluid ounces of water a day.

Made my goal most days. A few days I realized at the end of the day I was short a guzzled water before bed, but it worked. A-

Non-Fitness: Fold the $#%@^! laundry. My husband and I have been living out of the dryer/clean clothes hamper for over 3 months now. I am 28 and he is 27, we need to stop this. We have perfectly good dressers, we should use them.

The pile is smaller. It was almost gone until the road trip laundry hit. Its still not gone though, and taking care of the laundry in the adult manner is still not a habit. D

Overall, I'd give myself a middle of the road B. I hit a lot of speed bumps and just let them drag me down way too far.

Alethea, I have a few 'X's on my college transcript. They meant that I couldn't complete the semester due to extenuating circumstances. I think your sickness counts as that :)

Well, that's it, the challenge is over...so how did it go? Incredible: A+.

First I'd like to say that the Warriors team (Uruk-Hai) was excellent. All members were extremely helpful and instrumental in getting me over the line.

Here's a recap of this month's sucess story:

1. Join a gym

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I managed to find a gym nearby and signed up...it's a 24 hour place and I have the whole weightroom to myself - WIN!

2. Establish my weight-training base

I spent the first couple of workouts on this, and here's what I came up with:

Squats: 40kg

Press: 15kg

Deadlift: 45kg

Power Clean: 20kg

3. End the month being able to lift more than I can at the beginning

My last workout of the challenge yielded a PB in Squats, so here's where I'm at now:

Squats: 70kg - an increase of 30kg (66lbs)

Press: 37.5kg - an increase of 22.5kg (50lbs)

Deadlift: 90kg - an increase of 45kg (90lbs)

Power Clean: 42.5kg - an increase of 22.5kg (50lbs)

4. Hit the gym 3 times a week

This I managed to do like clockwork - yay!

5. Take a bit of time for myself each day

I've taken about 30mins to an hour each day to go to the gym, and to start thinking about some part-time business ideas. I bought a stack of eBooks at Steve's recommendation and have started to read them...I really need an iPad :)

As a bonus, I've been keeping track of my body fat % and waist measurements, and I've gone from 24.77% and 98cm to 20.14% and 91cm. I'm really stoked about this result.

Thanks guys for all of your help and support! I'll be taking a couple of weeks off while my wife and I have our second baby, so if I'm not around much, that's the reason :)

posted full results in my thread, but gave myself a C for the month.

1) Strength - only hit one of my goals, and went backwards on another one.

2) Conditioning - hit this 100%

3) Stretching - probably hit about 80%

4) Food/Fuel - eh. i slept a lot but mainly because I was sick. i ate big some days, not other days, depending on the lungmice.

5) Finances - back on track, and that makes me a very happy little girl.

Nice work spezzy, especially considering the lung mice :)

Challenge Recap!

Original Goals

Goal 1: Keep up with Stronglifts, lifting 3 days a week.

Goal 2: Maintain daily calories in 3500-3800 range, protein in 180-240g range.

Goal 3: Do pilates or yoga once a week.

Goal 4: Get organized and prepared for my move in late November, early December.

Results

Goal 1: Did pretty well. Missed a few workouts here and there due to the holidays and moving craziness, but still hit the gym 10 times over the last 4 weeks. Didn't gain as much strength as I wanted, but I am going to keep plugging away. Hopefully January will see me squatting my bodyweight and deadlifting more than that. B+

Goal 2: Moving really threw a wrench into my routine and nutrition plans, but I think I've managed to do okay. I haven't been tracking things as closely this Challenge, so I hope to get back into that in 2011. I stepped onto the scale today after my workout and came in at about 159 pounds. Let's say minus 4 pounds for shoes, workout pants, t-shirt, etc., and we'll say I'm at 155 pounds. Not too bad considering I was at around 138 when I started lifting back in August. Probably put on around 5 pounds or so this Challenge. Of course, the question is whether or not all of that is just fat. I'll be honest, I'm not exactly loving my "after" picture on this one. Thank god for winter and getting to wear layers. :P January cutting phase, here I come. B+

Goal 3: Did pilates and yoga each once. Really need to make more time for this, no matter how busy I am. C-

Goal 4: I've been in the new place for about two weeks or so now and it's been great. Going to give myself a big A on this one, though on the other hand, I had to move out, so it's not exactly like I had a choice. :)

Overall Grade: B+

I'm gonna give myself a 'B' for this challenge.

My fitness goal was to be able to work up to 40 perfect form push-ups. This was worked on by doing 50 pushups on most nights of the week, regardless of any other exercise. I started out being barely able to squeeze out 20 pushups at a time, and can now get to 30. I'm still 10 short of my goal, but I do tend to overreach. I did pushups on average of 5 to 6 days a week, taking the occasional rest day. I'm fairly please with how this went, so I'll give it a B+.

My nutrition goal was to increase my meat intake to at least one full portion of lean meat at least four nights a week. Some weeks were good, but as Christmas approached and my schedule in the evenings got wonkier, I would get lazy and the meatless days would begin to creep up. I'm now re-setting my habits by batch cooking larger portions of meat so that I can just grab it even when I don't have time to cook. I'd give myself a B- in this area.

My Life goal was to increase my writing by getting at 2500 words of fiction written this month. I didn't do so hot on this one. I did get a few hundred words down, as well as create a rough story outline for said work, but I didn't do much fictioning aside from that. I did have a few papers to write for my classes, which amounted to over 4000 words altogether, and I have been posting on a regular basis in this forum and have increased blog postings, which for me does count. The words are slowly coming back to me after taking a far too lengthy hiatus. I did not get my ducks in a row for the larger non-fiction blog project I have in mind. I'll be carrying that goal forward to next month. Grade: D

So why a 'B'? Well, that's because other life things went really well. I've been becoming more organized in my approach to housework, did a royal clear out on my desk at work and established a new neatness/cleaning/general organizing habit that has helped significantly boost my productivity. Additionally, I have admitted to myself that I am not the best fit for this line of work (even though I am completely competent at it) and that this reality does not make me a bad person (guilt issues, much?). I've given myself to continue doing this work and have recommitted to doing it well, but with the realization that I will be focussed more on making headway on different career options at the same time - whether that is by taking on a different branch of my profession or going in a completely different route altogether is yet to be seen. AND I tried kickboxing, and have become bolder in my sparring, and the bruises just look damn cool! So even though my precise goals weren't totally reached, there were other things that happened which helped with my discipline and 'mental health', so to speak, that deserve a couple of points.

Ninja, we're still working out dates. In theory it should start Dec 20th, but thats kind of cruel right before xmas so it may be pushed back to Dec 27. The Challenges are a teeny bit different every time, but in general, you'll see a thread on the main page labelled December Challenge. Inside will be a post of general rules for the Challenge which you should read. Then you start your own thread (see all the threads in this challenge for examples) listing your own personal goals for the next 28 days, and get in touch with your Team (which will be assigned), who will cheer, nag, and yell you to success, as you in turn cheer, nag and yell at them : P. Post regularly (daily is best) on what you did to further your goals. Winner gets bragging rights, a shout-out from The Steve on NF, and a shiny medal which has yet to make an appearance (soon, my pretties, I promise).

You must sign up for the next one. You'll love it, and get the hang of things fast.

OK my first challenge here:

Original Goals:

Fitness Goals

Finish a full beginner bodyweight circuit 2 days in a row (I keep getting so sore from 1, I give up for the next day)

Finish one basic stretching program 3 times a week for the month (Looking for good ideas for improving flexibility for the not and never have been flexible)

Develop more recipes for lamb shanks, they didn't sell this year so we have LOTS to eat ourselves, at last count we have about 20 sheeps worth....

Life Goals

Finish weaving the rug I started on my big loom and get my tartan fabric sampler warped up and on it

Finally win a NaNoWriMo (tried 4 years, never won yet)

Results:

Didn't ever finish a full circuit 2 days in a row. But I did get more exercise done regularly than I have in the past several years.

Stretching went well, have been attempting some yoga and some ballet stretches while doing other tasks. Found some ways to incorporate stretches into my normal routine. I am more flexible but still not good.

No progress on lamb shanks recipes but I am slowly going through the ones I do know and we are liking them. Also did a freezer inventory and discovered I have lots of racks and a fair number of loin chops so we'll get some variety.

Life goals:

Finished my main rug, had leftover warp so started & finished another rag rug. Got a tartan sampler warped on the table loom and started. Discovered that I have some stuff to adjust on my big loom so can't really warp it for fabric until I fix those items. Also discovered how to use weaving as a gentle stretching exercise. Lots of progress here!

WON NANOWRIMO!

As I sort of expected, my life goals are moving along nicely but the fitness stuff needs work. That's why I am here.

Overall I think I got a solid C

Teammates were very helpful when I asked but as a newbie I wasn't exactly sure of protocol so while the team was fairly quiet I felt like folks were paying attention and jumping in when appropriate.

Be Seeing You!

It seems like I end up in the ER on every challenge. This challenge, one of my kids did and I dropped out, but still levelled up my life byt taking care of something really important. Now my back just has to heal up in time for the next one. (I actually figured out my weight in kg this time so I could figure out how much ipuprofen would be too much. Not sure whether that means I am a masochist for still trying or just exceptionally well prepared.)

alr

Come on, alethea, I'll be in the red in about five minutes! How can the assassins survive such a system???? I'm not saying injury is the point of being an assassin, but if you can't take a few lumps, you shouldn't be one. How 'bout deducting points from everyone else and adding them to assassins, based on flair with which one is injured and sense of humor during recovery (i.e. making EMTs laugh on the way to the hospital=extra points, crying and giving up=no points for you).

alr

Sign in to follow this