Osteoporosis and weight training

So I am just starting to train someone who has osteoporosis. I know I need to focus on strengthening her back and hips as well as working on balance and core, but what I'm wondering is if there will be a point that I can move her towards using a barbell for squats? Or would that be too risky for someone with osteoporosis? Anyone have any advice, articles, resources, etc?

So I am just starting to train someone who has osteoporosis. I know I need to focus on strengthening her back and hips as well as working on balance and core, but what I'm wondering is if there will be a point that I can move her towards using a barbell for squats? Or would that be too risky for someone with osteoporosis? Anyone have any advice, articles, resources, etc?

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011/06/25/ron-rosedale-healthy-bones/

https://www.facebook.com/CongruentExercise

Since both my mother and my grandmother had osteopenia and degenerative bone disease I did a lot of research to make sure that I had healthy bones. The most important thing currently being discussed in the literature is that someone can lay down new bone if they are eating enough magnesium, D3 and K2...weight bearing exercises are key but over doing it can stress joints and cause stress fractures. Getting the person on a program of walking, balance, core, maybe even rebounding would be good and make sure she is NOT taking a ton of calcium supplements but getting calcium through food and if necessary take magnesium supplements, get direct sunlight or take D3 supplements and eat some form of probiotics or take K supplements....then build up to weights...you can google all this stuff and the people who wrote naked calories the woman had bad oseoporosis at 30 due to eating low fat, stress, high carb and partying a lot--she turned it around using healthy food and weight bearing exercise plus supplements. Best of luck figuring it out!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!