• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Karma Stu

Eating to gain weight and strength

Hi Guys,

One of my goals along with gaining additional strength is to start putting on some more weight. I am following a mostly body weight program and am starting to get some HIIT training in on my off days, but I wanted to quickly run a sample day of my diet past everyone to see what they think. I think I have managed to balance it fairly well and I am hoping to put on 1lb a week with this but what do people think? I should also add that I am on a serious budget and so this is about as far as I can stretch. But are there any better substitutes?

The diet is in the next post, sorry its a bit of a long one!!

Thanks,

Stu

My current stats:

Height – 175 cm (5’9)

Weight – 67 Kg (10 ½ stone)

Target weight – 76 Kg (12 stone)

BMI – 21.9 Kg / m2

Body Fat – 16.9%

Lean body mass – 55.7 Kg

RMR – 1639 calories

Taking activity factor (1.55) into account, my daily calorie expenditure becomes 2540 calories. In order to gain weight an additional 500 calories need to be consumed.

Daily minimum calorie intake – 3040 Calories

To support muscle growth, intake of protein needs to be 1.5g of protein per pound of lean body mass. For my body this is 184g of protein, which takes up 736 of my daily calorie intake. The remaining 2304 calories are split evenly between Carbs and Fats.

Daily macro nutrient intake

184g Protein (736 calories)

288g Carbs (1152 calories)

128g Fats (1152 calories)

These will be split between 6 meals a day, which works out as follows:

Intake per meal

Minimum 31g protein (124 calories)

Minimum 48g carbs (192 calories)

Minimum 22g fats (198 calories)

Total calories – 514

These meals are:

Meals

Breakfast (post workout meal) [07:00]

Mid morning snack [10:00]

Lunch [12:30]

Mid afternoon snack [15:30]

Evening snack [18:00]

Dinner [21:00]

Meal 1 – Breakfast (post workout) [07:00]

Whey Protein shake (30g)

 20.8g protein

 0.9g carbs

 0.3g fats

Muesli (62g)

 6.1g protein

 48g carbs

 3g fats

Boiled eggs (2)

 12.6g protein

 0.8g carbs

 9.9g fats

Whole milk (1 cup)

 8g protein

 11g carbs

 8g fats

Totals

 47g protein

 60.7g carbs

 21.2g fats

 622 calories

Meal 2 – Mid morning snack [10:00]

Peanuts (50g)

 12.9g protein

 8.1g carbs

 24.6g fats

Ham and cheese sandwich (whole grain bread. 1 slice lean ham. 30g Low fat cheese)

 20.3g protein

 42.5g carbs

 10.7g fats

Apple

 0.4g protein

 19g carbs

 0.2g fats

Totals

 33.6g protein

 69.6g carbs

 35.5g fats

 732 calories

Meal 3 – Lunch [ 12:30]

Tuna (130g)

 33.1g protein

 0g carbs

 1.1g fats

Mayonnaise (Light, 60g)

 0g protein

 5g carbs

 20g fats

Pasta (75g)

 4.3g protein

 23g carbs

 0.7g fats

Banana

 1.3g protein

 26.9g carbs

 0.4g fats

Totals

 38.7g protein

 54.9g carbs

 22.2g fats

 574 calories

Meal 4 – Mid afternoon snack [15:30]

Whey protein shake (30g)

 20.8g protein

 0.9g carbs

 0.3g fats

Peanuts (50g)

 12.9g protein

 8.1g carbs

 24.6g fats

Apple

 0.4g protein

 19.1g carbs

 0.2g fats

Pear

 1g protein

 26g carbs

 0g fats

Totals

 35.1g protein

 54.1g carbs

 25.1g fats

 583 calories

Meal 5 – Mid evening snack [18:00]

Ham and cheese sandwich (whole grain bread. 1 slice lean ham. 30g Low fat cheese)

 20.3g protein

 42.5g carbs

 10.7g fats

Totals

 20.3g protein

 42.5g carbs

 10.7g fats

 348 calories

Meal 6 – Dinner [21:00]

Salmon (250g)

 54.1g protein

 0g carbs

 14.8g fats

Potatoes (100g)

 1.7g protein

 15.7g carbs

 0.1g fats

Carrots (100g)

 1g protein

 8g carbs

 0g fats

Broccoli (100g)

 2g protein

 7g carbs

 0g fats

Totals

 58.8g protein

 30.7g carbs

 14.9 fats

 492 calories

Total daily intake

 233.5g protein

 312.5g carbs

 129.6g fats

 3351 calories

All of the meats in the sandwiches, lunch salads and evening meals can be substituted for other meats or fishes. Also the potatoes in the evening meal could be substituted for rice one night and a curry sauce used on chicken. The fruit is interchangeable as well. The peanuts could be replaced for cashews, or a mix of nuts and seeds with dried fruit.

Thanks for the info js. Paleo is something I have looked at but I don't think I want to go over to it just yet. Maybe at some stage in my life I will fancy moving over to it, but ready for it right now. Will have a look at the video when I get a chance, no harm in being educated!

Thanks for the info js. Paleo is something I have looked at but I don't think I want to go over to it just yet. Maybe at some stage in my life I will fancy moving over to it, but ready for it right now. Will have a look at the video when I get a chance, no harm in being educated!

Importance of diet:

My lordy. You definitely look like you will be gaining weight with that diet. What did your other diet average out to (total cals as compared to this "new" weight gaining diet?) And what will your weight training look like? If you want to gain muscle the fastest way to do that is to start picking up the weights. Sure you'll gain muscle body weight training, but if you want to maximize..

Also try to minimize cardio on weight training days to maximize the muscle gain. On rest days I'd suggest eating a little less than you would on workout days since you won't be expending as much.

Looks decent. For mass gain I really liked this writeup on gaining by Paul Carter. It doesn't have the nicest things to say about Paleo (and there's some language) so read at your own discretion, but when I transition to bulking I plan to follow something like this.

Your calorie count sounds a little light to me. 500 additional calories is starting point not necessarily an exact count. You are going to have to experiment, track and adjust. Keep in mind you may end up needing to eat lot more than 500 extra calories.

1. go to McDonalld's order McDoubles and McChickens

2. Eat an entire box of hamburger helper (with the 1lb of beef)

3. Get some mass gainer

4. ????

5. Profit

Enjoy your extra calories and protein.

1. go to McDonalld's order McDoubles and McChickens

2. Eat an entire box of hamburger helper (with the 1lb of beef)

3. Get some mass gainer

4. ????

5. Profit

Enjoy your extra calories and protein.

I lol'd :)

Looks decent. For mass gain I really liked this writeup on gaining by Paul Carter. It doesn't have the nicest things to say about Paleo (and there's some language) so read at your own discretion, but when I transition to bulking I plan to follow something like this.

Thanks for the link! I love bodybuilders and how they're so straight to the point, none of that crap that no one likes to read that's just too sciencey.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.

Lainisos; when I sat down to really look at my diet, I was eating around 1800 - 2500 calories a day. Which would really explain why I was never gaining anything so this is a big increase for me. Weirdly though I have not really struggled with eating this much extra. I am currently following a bodyweight training program which has been pushing me in ways I never managed in the gym. I'm really enjoying it.

Rtalencar; Thanks for that link, had some really good info in it! And quite close to what I am trying to follow in terms of diet so encouraging!

Luthorcrow; I budgeted for a minimum of 500 extra calories, but after working it all out I am actually consuming somewhere nearer 1000 extra a day. Hopefully this is somewhere nearer the mark for making some good gains.

Trad_Climb; If only it was that simple!! I'm guessing step four is the 'insert miracle here' stage of that plan?!? haha

You're on a budget as in finances, right? You might like to look at buying some chicken breasts in bulk. I don't know your local prices, but here its usually about $10/kg for raw chicken breasts, as opposed to $25-$40/kg for presliced ham. You'll get more protein (and less salt), and more filling goodness, for less money. Bag up each chicken breast individually, and get one at a time out of the freezer as needed. Bake a couple at a time, with a little spice sprinkled on them, and have one for dinner and save one for cutting up for your next day's sandwiches.

Salmon's pretty expensive. You'll find plenty of fish cheaper, and plain boneless fillets (e.g. hoki) from the freezer section of your supermarket (or at your local fishmonger) will be super easy to cook, and nicely portion sized. You don't really need to worry about the calcium content (as in the salmon), since you're including cheese and milk in your diet. Of course, a large block of cheese sliced up will be cheaper and more nutritionally sound than individually plastic wrapped American processed cheese slices.

Not sure about the muesli - is it the kind with lots of added sugar? If you're really feeling the financial pinch, you're probably better off buying a box of rolled oats and making yourself some porridge (1/3 cup oats, 2/3 cup water, stirring constantly in the saucepan until thick). Add a tablespoon of currants for sweetness, if you're restricting sugar. Some lightly toasted flaked almonds (2min on a dry oven tray, no oil) will add protein/calories as a healthy source.

A big tin of baked beans (400g) will often be on special here for only around $1 - a very cheap, protein rich and filling dinner with just a couple of slices of toast, and maybe a sprinkle of grated cheese.

Anyway, those are just a few ideas for the budgeting side of things.

Good luck!

PS - If you mean budget as in budgeting calories, well, uh... never mind. Except that I still think swapping out some of the ham for thin sizzler steaks (super thin slices of steak) or chicken breast is still a good idea. :)

My general rule for bulking is that two meals a day must have at least 1lb of meat and the other (breakfast) needs to have 4-5 eggs.

Add in a protein shake or two, a ton of veggies, a bit of whole grains for dinner and if you're feeling like you haven't eaten enough, chow down on

a banana and an avocado (season generously with lemon juice and olive oil) and you're good to go.

What you have up there, you're paying too much attention to the details and ignoring the big picture. Eat like you're a viking, train like a strongman and you'll put on weight quick enough.

Why make this so complicated?

Buy a gallon of milk. Drink it. Not putting on enough weight? Drink more. Putting on too much? Drink less.

Essentially, you're a twig. You just need to eat more. It doesn't matter what. Just more.

I'd also argue that putting on a pound a week is a tad on the high side, you'll be getting atleast half fat, but at your weight, putting on some fat would probably still make you look better. Your goals at this point should more or less eat to keep putting weight on your lifts. Bodyweight will come with that.

And you need to find a gym. I've never heard of anyone getting big off of only bodyweight

Edited by bprime

Why make this so complicated?

Buy a gallon of milk. Drink it. Not putting on enough weight? Drink more. Putting on too much? Drink less.

Essentially, you're a twig. You just need to eat more. It doesn't matter what. Just more.

I'd also argue that putting on a pound a week is a tad on the high side, you'll be getting atleast half fat, but at your weight, putting on some fat would probably still make you look better. Your goals at this point should more or less eat to keep putting weight on your lifts. Bodyweight will come with that.

And you need to find a gym. I've never heard of anyone getting big off of only bodyweight

Essentially what I was trying to get at, go lift some weights. I tried that whole bodyweight thing for a bit too, but nothing compares to putting additional strain on your body weight training.

I've yet to see an example of people gaining quality weight doing GOMAD bprime. It's just overboard 99 times out of 100.

What's your training history like? If you haven't actually trained all that much, simply cleaning up your diet and doing decent exercise should make you look better.

Regardless, many people would see 17% BF as being too high for a mass-gaining stage...

I've yet to see an example of people gaining quality weight doing GOMAD bprime. It's just overboard 99 times out of 100.

What's your training history like? If you haven't actually trained all that much, simply cleaning up your diet and doing decent exercise should make you look better.

Regardless, many people would see 17% BF as being too high for a mass-gaining stage...

But there is an in-between, where you set good calorie goals and use whole milk to fill the space (cough, what I'm doing). It isn't truly GOMAD, and I'm always looking for more food sources and more of a daily spread, but 32-48 oz of milk a day (w/chocolate milk powder for the extra calories, yeah) is totally my norm, with 64 oz days occasionally.

Up your calories slow. If you are relatively new to training it will take you a long time to ramp up to having the work capacity for big time bulking. You also may experience the phenomenon (at first) if you don't excessively overeat where your muscle gains are greater than your BF%, where you get leaner while bulking. It is very much a noob thing but it can and does happen.

While I agree that your BF% isn't ideal for bulking, there is something to be said for drawing a line between yoru current state and your end goals; taking the shortest possible path. For you I'd say that is bulk a bit then cut past your current point instead of cutting then bulking.

Getting big with bodyweight can be done, however you need to remember to focus on strength progression. When it comes to bodyweight, the periodization and hypertrphy will be a natural byproduct of the strength progression. Do not get mired in the muck, stick to doing hard stuff as much as you can. If you are strong enough to do static stuff (you might be, it is more of a strength ratio thing, fat people can't do static stuff) that will get you stronger faster.

The idea isn't to drink all of it, it's to drink enough to fill in whatever calories you need. If you're on a budget, you're not going to find a better bang for your buck than at least 2000 calories for 3 bucks.

But I'm not advocating for this guy to aim for a pound a week or try to bulk, especially when he's not even squatting heavy. Just eat to gain strength.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7979

You, my friend, need to learn where to look. Doing endless dips and pullups isn't going to make you big. Doing hard work in the 5-12 rep range is, so doing gymnastics type of stuff.

Awesome. Here you go. http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/forumdisplay.php?135-Assassin-s-Den-(Bodyweight-Gymnastics-Parkour)

You linked to a guy who was 63kilos. I don't know in what universe 140 pounds is considered big.

Edited by bprime

Lu Faringno, Arnold, jay cutler, Dave Tate, Wendler, Kroc = big

I think those guys are over-the-top HYOOGE. That is something different from big. In my opinion.

Also, 140 lbs is not heavy. But 140 lbs of feathers sure is big. Volume =/= mass.

The idea isn't to drink all of it, it's to drink enough to fill in whatever calories you need.

I thought that was exactly the idea, you literally drink a gallon a day. Same with DozenEggsADay.