Are You Drinking My BROTEIN, Bro...? The Wacky World of ETFnerd...

thanks bros and bro-ettes... i've been incommunicado (is that a word? thanks sambalina) because i am in NYC again... i have a conference tomorrow. i flew in yesterday on the 4pm shuttle and i am staying downtown in battery park city. i decided to run outdoors tonight and headed out from my hotel onto the westside hudson river park. battery park city is in the southern tip of manhattan. i ran from here, hugging the hudson riverfront up to the george washington bridge. that's on 179th street. originally i was only going to run up to 96th street at riverside park in the upper west side, but i wasn't tired, and i kept seeing the GW bridge in the distance... and figured i'd try to get there...

it was a breathtakingly beautiful run... although i was running and didn't take any pictures along the way. took some pictures of the george washington bridge though when i got there and stopped running. :) i took the A train back downtown after eating dinner in washington heights (where the george washington bridge is) at a dominican restaurant because there is a huge dominican population there. i got pictures of all this stuff but can't figure out how to get the pictures in my gmail attachments uploaded on picasa from the hotel business center. i'll have to upload them when i get home tomorrow night. sigh...

according to google maps, the distance from 102 north end avenue where i am staying to the george washington bridge is 11.1 miles, although the path meanders a little and i went down a dead end and had to track back a mile or so around the washington park ball fields. there was a cool breeze throughout the evening and i watched the sunset throughout my run. headed out of my hotel room at ~7:15 and got to the GW bridge just before 9pm. it was a slow run, but the views and weather were such that taking it all in was more important than going fast...

next time, i'll go east up the FDR, maybe into brooklyn or just continue north in manhattan... i doubt it will be as picturesque looking at rikers island (the prison) and bellevue (the mental institution)...

keep rocking the workouts my NF peeps... and thank you for your continued support... it means a lot to me... :):victorious::)

click here for a link to the run path

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

i am staying downtown in battery park city.click here for a link to the run path

Back when I used to work for a NY bank, they put me up in an apartment there a couple of times. Nice place :)

Not jealous :(

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

hahaha... mal... i got pretty lucky on this trip so sorry if it seems like i'm rubbing it in... :) usually i pay the cheapest rack rate at hotels because that's what i get reimbursed for, but this time i was put up at a new hotel in battery park city under the hilton conrad brand. it was way cool, the atrium here...

bpc17.jpg

features art by Sol LeWitt and the installation is called "Loopy Doopy" and measures 100ft x 80ft with a gigantic contemporary metallic hanging sculpture overlay... then you get the hudson river view here...

bpc18.jpg

on top of that I got upgraded to a waterview suite on the western perimeter overlooking the grassy area which is the Irish Potato Famine Memorial. The grassy area that meaders uphill as seen below is actually the roof of an exhibit structure describing the Irish famine through visual displays... it's prettty cool...

bpc1.jpg

i even got a sliver of water view between the world financial center's new york mercantile exchange (nymex) building where most US listed oil and gas futures and options are traded on the left and some condos on the right...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

on top of that... the building in the foreground in the picture below is the hotel i stayed at... the one in the back may be familiar to you as 200 west street... the global headquarters of goldman sachs...

200w2.jpg

from the rear facing windows of the hotel atrium i can see the rear entrance of 200 west street... during the occupy wall street demonstrations there were barricades and scores of heavily armed guards... didn't feel like the US, but a police state back then...

200w1.jpg

lloked like some goldman summer interns were being schmoozed as i was heading out for my run...

when i got to the suite i was surprised at how nice it was... it was like a W but nicer... one thing that was cool was that they had really easy to use and functional light switches... i hear in germany these fixtures are more commonplace...

bpc20.jpgbpc11.jpgbpc13.jpg

i also didn't mind the rain shower...

bpc5.jpg

this is the minimalist bath...

bpc6.jpg

and the detail of the lighting built into the mirror...

bpc15.jpg

the 16" down comforter on the bed... with the Matt Mullican contemporary art...

bpc3.jpg

here's the tv and storage...

bpc4.jpg

the bar...

bpc7.jpg

the work area...

bpc8.jpg

the lounging/sitting room... with Saara Sosnowy art...

bpc9.jpg

i like the hotel... as long as i can pay my cheap-o rate... :P

so on to my run in the evening... i started off here on north end avenue in battery park city...

bpc14.jpg

i then ran 11.1 miles or so and although i should have taken pics along the way, i was running, so i didn't stop to take pictures until i almost got to the GW bridge... this was the first as I was approaching the bridge... the small dots in the water are geese that didn't look so distant...

gwb1.jpg

this shot was as i approached the underside of the bridge along the first pillar...

gwb3.jpg

this is the base of the first pylon...

gwb7.jpg

this is the second pylon...

gwb9.jpg

this one is a view from the north side of the brige after i'd passed it...

gwb5.jpg

this last picture is from an overlook on 181st street...

gwb6.jpg

after my run i was in washington heights with a large dominican restaurant so i was advised to check out "Malecon" as a place that does good chicken and fish. it's on broadway and 176st... got there and started with some buttered bread...

dof1.jpg

then there was poached fish... mexican style... spicy... turns out it was mexican because they bombarded it with cilantro... not the best i've had, but it was well-poached and the portion was huge... and i was hungry...

dof2.jpg

finally i had the rice and beans and the plantains... waitress tried to tell me i couldn't have both... you see what i got... hahaha...

dof3.jpg

went back with leftovers and some fruit i picked up along the way... :)

today was the conference... before it started i took some pictures of the downtown vistas... here's looking north out to the new jersey waterfront...

bcp21.jpg

a view looking even further north towards new jersey...

bpc16.jpg

this is looking south... the structure on the afr right is the goldman sachs building in jersey city... it was the project of goldman chairman and former treasury secretary hank paulson who ditched it when the city of NY gave hundreds of millions in financial incentives to return to NYC and move into 200 west street... on the left you can see the statue of liberty and ellis island on two islands toward the left of the picture...

bcp20.jpg

the following picture shows the statue of liberty and ellis island more clearly at the mouth of the Hudson river...

wtc4.jpg

across the river you see a better view of the silver structure that houses goldman in jersey city. the large building to the right edge of the picture is one of the world trade center towers going up...

wtc8.jpg

in this southeast exposure you can see Brooklyn at the left across the river and the verazano narrows brige in the distance...

wtc5.jpg

we finish with my tourist-y pictures of the progress of world trade center construction... here's a view from the street at nightime of one of the towers... as i was strolling back to my hotel from my run and dinner...

wtc1.jpg

here's the same view in the morning as i was walking to my conference...

wtc3.jpg

here's the less far along tower... my gathering was in the building seen in the left edge of this picture...

wtc2.jpg

this is both towers under construction at the world trade center from the site of my conference... i was right across the street...

wtc7.jpg

one last shot with the construction elevator perched at the side of the building...

wtc6.jpg

best of all, i presented my work and didn't have to shmooze into the afternoon... i was on my way back to laguardia by 1pm and headed home... will be fresh for my workout tonight... woohoo... :)

all in all an action packed 24 hours... peace y'all... :victorious:

the following picture shows the statue of liberty and ellis island more clearly at the mouth of the Hudson river...

wtc4.jpg

Hey! My old apartment block is in there! Fond memories of sticking my head out the window and looking sharp right to get a pic of the statue of liberty! Damn I miss that place :(

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask