• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KiraWild

Aussie Rebels?!

Is the AFL your national rugby union tournament? How big is it in comparison to Super Rugby?

Down the east coast we have super rugby teams and a localised rugby league competition that is more popular than real rugby. Footy is the best though and Carrara is a cute place to watch footy up on the Gold Coast. Sport preference tend to vary a bit by state here. Enjoy it all!

It's kind of a mix between soccer and rugby

You Aussies are crazy haha! It sounds very interesting, I'll enjoy learning all the ins and outs of the sport. ( btw Go Lions!) :tiger:

Down the east coast we have super rugby teams and a localised rugby league competition that is more popular than real rugby. Footy is the best though and Carrara is a cute place to watch footy up on the Gold Coast. Sport preference tend to vary a bit by state here. Enjoy it all!

I enjoy watching league as well as union so this sounds great! Although with the time difference I will forfeit weekend sleep-ins if I want to watch my Super rugby teams play! Do any of you guys get up to watch the Super matches played in SA?

I enjoy watching league as well as union so this sounds great! Although with the time difference I will forfeit weekend sleep-ins if I want to watch my Super rugby teams play! Do any of you guys get up to watch the Super matches played in SA?

I tend to refer to it all as "foozball" and I divide the mysterious worlds of AFL/rugby/Aussie Rules/whatever into "the kind where the players can be thin" and "the kind where the players are big boofy guys with no necks".

I'm an expert, I tells ya. I know it *all*. Example: there's a special move called the "wiggly fish", which a foozball player does when tackled to the ground, to show he wants to get up again.

Cricket is the long one that never ends that they play in the summer, where the game can be going for days and no-one can tell you who's winning yet.

When I DM'ed a fantasy game, my elves played a version of cricket. It's why they can be 150 years old and still be first level. They're hanging around watching a fortnight long game of cricket all day, clapping and saying the elven equivalent of "jolly good show" and clapping politely.

Soccer is the one with a black and white ball, and an easy scoring system, and it can actually be a little bit fun to watch. Unlike foozball, injuries are responded to by falling on the ground and clutching dramatically at your knee, as opposed to being bandaged up with duct tape so you can get back to playing.

• Like 1

An Aussie thread where the main topic is sport - who'd a thought!!!

Abs Brisbane is a nice place, small enough to be friendly and you can try out all the ball sports (watching as well as playing)

"the kind where the players are big boofy guys with no necks".

there's a special move called the "wiggly fish", which a foozball player does when tackled to the ground, to show he wants to get up again.

Cricket is the long one that never ends that they play in the summer, where the game can be going for days and no-one can tell you who's winning yet.

... injuries are responded to by falling on the ground and clutching dramatically at your knee, as opposed to being bandaged up with duct tape so you can get back to playing.

These are some of the best analogies I've seen yet  :highly_amused:

An Aussie thread where the main topic is sport - who'd a thought!!!

Abs Brisbane is a nice place, small enough to be friendly and you can try out all the ball sports (watching as well as playing)

Ja I could not survive in a country without sports coverage, relieved to hear that won't be an issue!

When we started looking at relocating to Aus, Brissy was the one place that stood out for us. It sounds so friendly, and seems to be the destination of many other Saffers like us. What are some things you would recommend doing there to get to know the place? (cheap, outdoors fun)

• Like 1

- If i remember, the parkour group run by the Australian Parkour Association still runs in Brissy. If you're an aspiring Assassin, look there. They have a really good website Google can find for ya :P

- Keep an eye open for university open days! they really help get a feel for the universities and the people in them.

- When i moved to Perth, Wa, from Scotland, i just took a book into a good cafe - which the locals used like crazy rather than the nice shiny once next door - and just watched people, its really enlightening

- Hire some bikes, go for a family ride

- Buy a dog!!!!!

Um... They're all pretty vague, since im in WA, but might help :)

These are some of the best analogies I've seen yet  :highly_amused:

Ja I could not survive in a country without sports coverage, relieved to hear that won't be an issue!

When we started looking at relocating to Aus, Brissy was the one place that stood out for us. It sounds so friendly, and seems to be the destination of many other Saffers like us. What are some things you would recommend doing there to get to know the place? (cheap, outdoors fun)

He he... you can tell I'm a sports fan, hey? ;)

Cheap stuff to do - go to Southbank, and have a look around the Qld Museum, State Library of Qld, Art Gallery, and GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art), as well as a wander around Southbank for a bit of a picnic on the grass and some people watching. Those places are all free, and easy walking distance of each other.

It's fun to catch the citycat (ferry) and spend an hour cruising up and down the river, if you pack a snack; just make sure you get a ticket to cover you for the zones you're going through. Anyway, not free, but pretty cheap.

Botanic Gardens in the city (Alice St.) and the Roma St. Parklands are nice to wander around.

There's various markets that are fun to browse, and good to pick up souveniers. Southbank and the Valley both have good ones that'll be easy to get to.

I tend to refer to it all as "foozball" and I divide the mysterious worlds of AFL/rugby/Aussie Rules/whatever into "the kind where the players can be thin" and "the kind where the players are big boofy guys with no necks".

I'm an expert, I tells ya. I know it *all*. Example: there's a special move called the "wiggly fish", which a foozball player does when tackled to the ground, to show he wants to get up again.

When I DM'ed a fantasy game, my elves played a version of cricket. It's why they can be 150 years old and still be first level. They're hanging around watching a fortnight long game of cricket all day, clapping and saying the elven equivalent of "jolly good show" and clapping politely.

Soccer is the one with a black and white ball, and an easy scoring system, and it can actually be a little bit fun to watch. Unlike foozball, injuries are responded to by falling on the ground and clutching dramatically at your knee, as opposed to being bandaged up with duct tape so you can get back to playing.

Haha best descriptions ever :D

My favourite thing in Brissie is walking along the river at southbank. I have been meaning to try absailing at kangaroo point as well. I also like to head out to the Redlands (40 minutes) and have fish and chips on the waterfront (healthy I know). The local council run free activities most weekends and they are great too, so far I have tried archery and dragon boating on the river. Oh and go for a hike at mount coot-tha, there is a lovely view from the city there.

I am going to stop now before I get too carried away and state all my favourite things (there are really too many)

Another Aussie here, and I'm feeling like the only Aussie that doesn't watch or follow any sport, does that make me unAustralian?

Canbrah reporting in.

Anyone going to AVCon or PAX Melbourne?

I went to AVCon, and loved every moment of it. I can't wait to go again

• Like 1

Another Aussie here, and I'm feeling like the only Aussie that doesn't watch or follow any sport, does that make me unAustralian?

So you're the one!! Nah unAustralian would be a bit harsh, I only go to live games and it's more about the socializing if I'm honest.

• Like 1

Of course I'm going to say bike riding. There is a city bike scheme that can be cost effective if you dock the bike every 1/2 hour and ride up and down the river. There is also a river route that is is buzzing on Sunday mornings.

I, also going to say jump onto couchsurfing or meet up groups to get some local flavour.

Then head to the coast for a surf.

My favourite thing in Brissie is walking along the river at southbank. I have been meaning to try absailing at kangaroo point as well. I also like to head out to the Redlands (40 minutes) and have fish and chips on the waterfront (healthy I know). The local council run free activities most weekends and they are great too, so far I have tried archery and dragon boating on the river. Oh and go for a hike at mount coot-tha, there is a lovely view from the city there.

I am going to stop now before I get too carried away and state all my favourite things (there are really too many)

Of course I'm going to say bike riding. There is a city bike scheme that can be cost effective if you dock the bike every 1/2 hour and ride up and down the river. There is also a river route that is is buzzing on Sunday mornings.

I, also going to say jump onto couchsurfing or meet up groups to get some local flavour.

Then head to the coast for a surf.

All added to my list, cheers guys!

I went to AVCon, and loved every moment of it. I can't wait to go again

Nah im not a big sport fan either only time i watch AFL is when the Swans are playing.

I was at PAX a couple weeks ago enforcing at the classic console area was a blast over there.

Melbourne here.

Is anyone doing the current 6 week challenge? It's my second which will hopefully go better than my first.

Yep I'm doing my first challenge this time around

Just posted over in the accoutabilibuddies group :)

6 weeks doesnt really seem like a long time before you start, but once the challenge begins you suddenly realise what you are in for!!! Im sure you will do well this time around

I'm also on my first challenge! Shamelessly signed up for the accountability group though I'm neither an adventurer or a real Aussie. But it's fun meeting people on the same continent. :) 

Did any Aussies here end up going to PAX AUS 2013 down in Melbourne?

I went down from Darwin with my brother and his partner and holy crap it was amazing. :D

Hunter valley nsw here. Originally from the central coast. Traded one dump for another lol. Either way, they're both far better than Sydney. So the further away I am the happier I am. :D