Scout Team: Team Crazy Legs

Alethea

Scouts can cover great distances in a short amount of time. Built for distance and efficiency rather than strength and power, these guys can outlast any animal on the planet. They eat a diet higher in carbohydrates to give them enough fuel to survive these grueling treks cross-country, and their muscles are designed to last for hours rather than minutes or seconds (like a Warrior). A growing contingent of scouts have moved to barefoot running, returning to their ancient ancestral roots.

Your Team Leader will be the tireless and determined Aidan, who has proven his mastery over an unhealthy lifestyle and nicotine.

Task 1: Decide on a team name. COMPLETE

Team Captain:

AidanPryde

Team Members:

aidanpride

BMWonderly

Cynnister

firsa

getelevated

JillTron

juliethamlin

justinhamlin

LynnyLee

Manu

Meg

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

OK,

I just want to say hello to all of the Scouts, both new and seasoned alike. Please bear with me this month as this is my first time as a leader on the boards. Please feel free to post or PM me if you have any questions or comments. I will get back to you as soon as I can. For the new people, whatever you do, please don't be afraid to post anything you feel like. We are here to help each other out and if you don't post something because you are shy or nervous, we can't be helpful.

I like to lead by example, so I plan to post something at least 5 times a week, but probably more. But I promise that if you post something, I will read it. I am a Weight Watchers alumnus and I firmly believe that the more active that you are in keeping track and posting, the less likely you are to fall off the wagon.

For our first task, we need to come up with a name for the group. The obvious things that come to mind are the Boy Scout related names: Eagle, Bear etc. Please post anything that you like. If we get a bunch of good suggestions, I will create a poll for everyone to vote on their favorites. I will constantly add the new ideas to the list below:

Possible Names

Eagles

Bears

Team Crazy Legs

Runnin' Rebels

Speed Demons

Running Down a Dream

Sorry, I know some of these are corny and cringe-worthy, but for some reason that's all my mind is giving me now.

Later everyone, I hope you have had a great first day!

Aidan

I'm a Week Late and Pissed Off Challenge 

"What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Hi Firsa,

Welcome to Team Crazy Legs. Putting scout as your class in your main challenge page was enough but please feel free to post in here whenever you like. I tend to think of this area as a place to easily ask questions of other scouts. Sometimes with all of the daily posts in everyone's challenge threads, a question can get missed. With this thread we can collect and read them easily.

It is so nice to see all of the new people for this new year's challenge. This is going to be a fun month, I can feel it.

"What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

just wanted to toss this up there for all my fellow runners. I used this challenge as inspiration for a new series of posts on my blog.

Need some motivation?

Need a plan?

Take a read:

Part 1 : Setting goals, creating a plan, getting motivated : http://justinhamlin.com/2010/12/27/your-life-is-a-business-why-you-need-a-plan/

Part 2 : Plan accordingly, prioritize, generate momentum : http://justinhamlin.com/2010/12/30/your-life-is-a-business-why-you-need-a-plan-pt-2/

any questions, please let me know.

Hello fellow Scouts. I have a training/hydration question I'd love to get some input on. For long runs (8-10 miles +) I have a fuel belt with about 20 oz of water which usually does the job. But on long bike rides (40 miles +) the 2 water bottles (about 40oz total) I have on board just don't seem to cut it. I don't end up with heavy dehydration, just more like I get tired and unfocused...the same kind of feeling I get in the early stages of dehydration. Now I could carry more water, but water is heavy and I'm already heavy enough :). What do folks use for a higher level of hydration for those kinds of activities? I don't like Gatorade or other sports drinks, too much sugar. I have Nuun tablets that I love but I've used them post-workout more than during workout. I have a 60 mile ride this weekend that I'm gearing up for and was looking for some more ideas. I have a feeling I'll do at least one bottle with the Nuun and the other water to start (there will be refill stations so I won't run out).

Any other thoughts or suggestions? I think this is one area I could really use some ideas to experiment with until I find what works best for me.

Thanks!!

I have a camelbak that I like quite a bit, I don't love it for long runs as it gets uncomfortable and chafes, but it could work well for biking. You might try energy cubes or beans or gels to get some help from electrolytes, but I would assume you have the same issues with those as with sports drinks. Also, are you making sure to keep hydrated outside of workouts?

I have a camelbak that I like quite a bit, I don't love it for long runs as it gets uncomfortable and chafes, but it could work well for biking. You might try energy cubes or beans or gels to get some help from electrolytes, but I would assume you have the same issues with those as with sports drinks. Also, are you making sure to keep hydrated outside of workouts?

I have a camelback too, but it doesn't work great on the road. After a while it gets very uncomfortable. I love it mountain biking, but I get to adjust and move around more on that bike than on the road bike.

I take along Gu but that's mostly for calories. I think they are limited as far as electrolytes go (but I might be wrong there, I haven't dug to deep into them). I have tried, and like, the Clif Shots as they aren't too sweet that it's tough to down them. I never thought of them as hydration aids though, but maybe I should.

I do try to stay hydrated outside of workouts, I shoot for at least 64 oz a day and usually more. But I'll admit it's not as consistent as I'd like, some days I get distracted and don't make as many trips for water as I should. Another goal for the list haha.

I use a camelbak as well, I don't have the same issues with comfort, I think mine is great, but that's personal preference. I sweat like crazy so I use a ton of fluid. Usually my Camelbak is filled with plain water. Then on really long rides I will fill water bottles with half-strength gatorade that I make from powder. Pure gatorade usually gums up my mouth but the half stuff is perfect.

I know many love Accelerade or other supplements but the ease of being able to buy a tub of powder at just about any grocery store for relatively cheap is a huge plus for me.

p.s. Lemon Lime flavor is my god! ;)

Just make sure that if you use it in your water bottles that you rinse them out after each use. I accidentally left one with some gatorade on my bike after a ride. I'll just say that I bought a new water bottle that day.

Good call. I bought those Camelbak insulated water bottles during the summer, which work great, so I'd be bummed to lose one of those. I used the Nuun tablets this weekend in the water bottles and they worked great. Felt really good for the whole 60 miles. I also mixed up some chia gel and I think that helped too...a bit of nutrition made with a lot of water.

Now back to running...6 days until the half marathon :)

I'm still in the midst of figuring out how to best meet my hydration needs, but I've made some important discoveries. First, I've discovered through much trial and error that what I needed more of, ironically, was salt. If I put an extra dash or two on my meal the night before a long run (8-10 miles) plus had a good amount of water that night, I felt so much better on the run. The salt helps you retain water I guess.

Also, I like having some gatorade in the middle of a long run. This helps to keep hunger at bay and keep me energized.

Good luck with the half, getelevated!

Thanks! I am getting excited...it's going to be a fun day. Run a race, grab a couple of beers with friends in the race, and then home for the Patriots game.

As far as salt goes, I've noticed that too. I work out with a lot of triathletes, including a few that have done multiple ironman events, and they talk about salt all the time. I've read that salt in the bloodstream helps with muscle function, and with all of the salt lost through sweat you can fatigue faster. Most sports drinks have some sodium in them to help with that. My pre-race (or run) meal is usually whole wheat toast with peanut butter. I've found that sits just right for me; good mix of carbs, protein, and salt. And I will say that the burger I had after my last triathlon was awesome...and I know it was the salt I needed, because that salty burger tasted awesome :)

Salt is part of a triumverate of minerals that is vital in the proper regulation of water in the body. Potassium and Calcium are the other two.

Salt gets such a bad rap because unhealthy people tend to get waaay too much of it. The unfortunate consequence is that healthy people tend to shun it and not get enough. Most people who exercise without replacing lost salt tend to suffer from mild hyponatremia. You may remember that term from the lady that died drinking a gallon of water to win a Wii. Drinking excessive amounts of water and sweating cause the same problem, a lack of salt. Now imagine doing both at the same time. Not good.

I try not to eat them any other time, but after a huge exertion, I love Wendy's Baconator. Just a bomb of protein, fat, carbs and salt in one condensed package. Chocolate milk is great post-workout nutrition as well.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines