I have been visiting the site off and on for a month or so now and figured I should actually join up.

As for a little bit about myself. My name is Justin. I am a 26 year old engineer with my maters in Chemical Engineering. Like a lot of people I slowly started putting on weight during college. Right before I graduated with my masters (Dec 09) I went through a pretty messy breakup with my girlfriend of 5 years and that was pretty much the tipping point in my fitness and activity life style. I slowly started running and lifting weights and finished my first race event the following March (the Running of the Green). The first race was pretty exciting and I wanted to feel that level of excitement again, so I signed up for the Denver Triathlon (not being a swimmer or a road biker). Since then I have taken part in the Georgetown to Idaho springs, various 5K's to 8mile runs, and a few metric centuries on the bike.

I made a goal for this year to take part in an organized race every month, which does wonders for the motivation to go to the gym on that snowy Saturday. Yesterday I completed the Denver Triathlon, my first Olympic distance triathlon. The "good enough" blog post was really what made me decide it was time to sign up and start taking part in the NF community. I had a goal time I wanted to finish the triathlon in. I missed it by 1 minute and 48 second. To which everybody says "oh you did great" that is still a good time. I don't want to be happy just being good enough, I want to push and be great!

The major goal I have in mind is eating healthier, since it is such a big part of staying/getting into shape. I have already removed just about all liquid calories from my diet, which was pretty much I first step.

I hope to get to know a lot of you and learn as much as I can.

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit""If you think you can or you can't, you're right!"

Hi Justin. Welcome to the NF community. I'm new too, but so far it seems pretty awesome! That's great that you turned around your lifestyle. Also, my New Year's Resolution for 2013 is going to be running a race every month [i think], so I'm really ecstatic that you've done that. I'm sure with your determination you'll smash that Triathlon goal time with no problem! I know there is a 6-week challenge coming up so make sure to get involved in that. Once again, welcome, and make yourself at home.

Kevin

Half-Satyr Adventurer, Level 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 4.5 | WIS 6 | CHA 5

about me. | twitter. | dailymile.| fitocracy.

Challenge: 1. 2.

Hey hey Welcome JPAN! You have some VERY interesting goals! For eating healthier check out the Hunter's Lodge or Garden Villa (if you're vegan) and find out ways to cut out all of the bad food in your life. Can I ask how are you training for the Triathlons? I hope to see you around, Buddy!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

For the Triathlon training I have been trying to hit each of the legs two times a week, and have a rest day worked in there as well. If my biking days fall during the work week I go about 20ish miles. If it happens to be on a weekend I usually go riding with some friends and do between 40-60miles. For the runs I kinda just listen to my body and see how I feel, running anywhere between 3-8 miles, usually doing the 5 mile loop most of the time. Swimming I usually swim anywhere between 1000-2000 yards.

I have been doing this to really build up a good base. I ramped up to this about 2 months ago, before which I was doing a lot of strength training and running. Now I want to start to incorporate speed training into my workouts, which should hopefully get me to my goal time. One of the problems I have found with my training is how to incorporate strength training in with all the swimming, biking and running while still keeping a social life. Problem as around on the Scout forums for some suggestions.

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit""If you think you can or you can't, you're right!"

Welcome!

Those liquid calories are such a pain. Good on ya for getting rid of them! If you ever find yourself desperately needing a "sweet" drink, herbal peppermint tea, either hot or iced, does the trick for me. (I struggled with a coffee-drink problem, and that was my savior.)

So awesome that you are doing triathlons. I have been thinking of training for one myself, but it is very intimidating. How did you work up to your first race?

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

STR: 3 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 1 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4.5 | CHA: 3

If you do not change where you are headed, you will end up where you are going.