• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Loren Wade

"It Starts With Food" by Whole9 Released Today

Okay, is it filled with recipes, or is it philosophical?

If it's recipes, I won't wait for the eBook edition due out next week. If they are just talking, I'll get it for my Nook.

Okay, is it filled with recipes, or is it philosophical?

If it's recipes, I won't wait for the eBook edition due out next week. If they are just talking, I'll get it for my Nook.

It's mostly the latter than the former.

Yes, it does have some recipes, but the book is meant to explain the science and biology of paleo to be easily understood. I'm already thinking it's better than The Paleo Solution.

Edited by Loren Wade

This may be exactly what I need to read to get my @$$ back in gear... I've been letting corn slip back into my diet (mostly via tortillas, but always gluten-free), and have been allowing myself a breakfast burrito with a FLOUR tortilla a few times a week. I liked Primal Blueprint, but don't necessarily want to read it again. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be picking it up on my ereader when it's available.

Oo Oo it's out on kindle! I got my copy!

Gotta tell WildRoss that it's out on Kindle....he reads the philosophy stuff, I do the hands on stuff....and since I made the mess up on corn last night in chat...gotta get things straightened out!

Is the content much different from The Paleo Solution and its ilk? I was thinking of ordering it too, more for supporting the cause than anything else, but it'd be great if it also had lots more info.

Yes and no. I mean, it's similar, I'm not gonna lie. But ISWF is much, much, more comprehensive in it's approach. It literally goes one by one and covers every type of food and why or why not to eat it. And, as much as I like Robb Wolf, ISWF is, so far, much better. :)

Hoorah.

Gotta tell WildRoss that it's out on Kindle....he reads the philosophy stuff, I do the hands on stuff....and since I made the mess up on corn last night in chat...gotta get things straightened out!

Haha. :)

I've got it, just haven't started reading it yet- I can't seem to get my arse off on NF!

We got it all straight, so all is well!

Yes and no. I mean, it's similar, I'm not gonna lie. But ISWF is much, much, more comprehensive in it's approach. It literally goes one by one and covers every type of food and why or why not to eat it. And, as much as I like Robb Wolf, ISWF is, so far, much better. :)

Hoorah.

Haha. :)

Thanks for letting me know about it!

I'm excited

What I like about this book so far & what I like about the Whole 9 in general is that when people ask me about it, I can say it's about eating whole foods & how food effects your body and mind. When I was reading the Paleo Solution, people got turned off at the word Paleo. 'Oh it's that caveman diet' or 'Isn't that low carb' & I really like the way ISWF explains things better than Paleo Solution.

Dammit! I bought it two days before it came out on the kindle. Now: return it and get the kindle version, so I have it with me at all times? Or read it hard-copy so I can keep it front-and-center and visible in my house and life as I go? I generally do better with novels on the kindle b/c I can just pick them up and read them whenever -- five minutes here, five minutes there -- but reference books tend to be better in hard copy so I can dog-ear pages and mark them up (and then flip through to find my marks again).

I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the hard copy, and only get it for the kindle if I find it's something I want to carry everywhere all the time.

What I like about this book so far & what I like about the Whole 9 in general is that when people ask me about it, I can say it's about eating whole foods & how food effects your body and mind. When I was reading the Paleo Solution, people got turned off at the word Paleo. 'Oh it's that caveman diet' or 'Isn't that low carb' & I really like the way ISWF explains things better than Paleo Solution.

I don't identify with the paleo community outside internet forums, really - very much for the above reason. That and my philosophy is more in the realm of "eat whole/real foods", than an ultra-strict interpretation of paleo. Practically, this ends up being quite close to paleo/primal - but certain foods like legumes aren't really on my "don't eat" list, so much as I just don't actively seek them out/eat them all that often, and so I eat them maybe 2x a week on average.

I think it's a good sign that things in the paleo community are generally shifting from "What would a caveman do?" to a discussion more centered on what is really healthiest for us.

Edited by Zorch

Just read the kindle sample and looks good, on my wish list now but will have to wait till I clear off a bit of space on my kindle and free up some $ too.

Very tempted by this book on Kindle. Thinking very hard about getting it soon.

I'm not full on paleo at present, but I'm certainly leaning further and further in that direction over time.

I bought the kindle version on the weekend. Loving the book so far. (I've never read any Paleo stuff other than just internet browsing before now).

Its nice that it gets technical about whats going on my body - my psychological approach to food; my hormonal response to food (insulin; leptin; glucogen; cortisol).

I find the science-y approach much more convincing that the caveman approach to choosing what I eat, so I'm pretty convinced so far.

And the experiment on my body is pretty amazing to be watching. Needs some tweaking, but thats how experiments go. Massively recommended from my side.