• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristineYells

4 weeks in, weight loss has stalled! Help!

I've been doing Paleo for 4 weeks now. I've been pretty strict and have only "cheated" once (s'mores while camping this weekend, mmm) and the only yucky chemicals I eat are in almond or coconut milk or occasionally condiments like ketchup, bbq sauce, or mayo. I eat lots of healthy oils (olive, flaxseed, coconut) and fats like avocados and nuts, plenty of protein (I think?), and vegetables, and lots and lots of fruit. We haven't totally switched over to grass fed/pasture raised meats because of costs but we do eat some so I figure that's better than nothing.

I am about 5'6" started at 278 lbs down to about 263 lbs. I try to walk 20-30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week (but I don't always). I work in an office so lots of sitting. I'm aiming to lose about 100 lbs by next summer so that I am fit enough/much healthier to have a baby! :)

The first two weeks on Paleo I melted off 15 lbs WHICH IS PRETTY DAMN AMAZING but it seems like I've stalled right around 17-19 lbs. I'm worried I'm eating too much fruit? Have I just not given it enough time? Do I need to exercise more? Should I add in weight training? What are your thoughts???

I figure I'll start counting calories (something I've never done before and am terrified of) just to get an idea for what I'm actually consuming, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or helpful suggestions or fun tips/tricks.

Thanks for your help guys! ♥

First off I would cut down on fruits to 1 maybe 2 servings a day.

YesY, weight lifting or bodyweight excercises will help.

Calorie counting is a good way to make sure you're getting enough protein and fats. You don't have to do it forever, just until you feel like you have a good idea of what kind of calories your consuming

i agree with elasticgirl also i don't think flaxseed is strictly paelo. well mark sisson doesnt encourage it but there are more than one way to skin a cat and it shouldnt stall yur weight loss if you continue eating it

Your initial weight loss was probably consuming fewer carbs. Fewer carbs mean fewer glycogen stores. Glycogen stores store water. So that's why you get an initial drop. (At least this is how I understand it - someone correct me!)

After the initial loss, it's more of a challenge. But that's not a bad thing.

One thing you could do is loosely track calories. If that freaks you out for a reason that would impact your overall eating, then the other approach is like you said, add in strength training. You can do bodyweight stuff. I think there's an angry bird and beginner bodyweight workout in the NF blog. Strength training and muscle gain is very important. Plus it's empowering!

I also suggest measuring yourself, especially if you start weight training. Over past two months, I replaced 5 pounds of fat with muscle. Didn't lose a pound, but lost inches. Victory!

Overall, if you feel better, are more active, and you're making even slow progress, don't give up! Look at adding in the strength training and measuring yourself. And keep on keepin' on!

Thanks for the tips you guys. I really appreciate your input!

I started calorie counting yesterday with an app on my phone called Lose It! which made it pretty easy, and I think I'm going to try cutting down the fruits (which breaks my little heart) and adding in some weight training with the NF beginner body weight circuit. I was toying with the idea of seeing a personal trainer a couple of times too, so maybe I'll just jump into that with both feet.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

Definitely cut back on the fruit. Allow yourself just a few servings at most a day and not after 2 pm. I had a stalling period after several weeks on Paleo and it was recommended to me to see more weight loss, cut out the fruit which I did all together. Now for me fruit is a special treat or thrown in a coconut slushie after a really hard run/workout.

You don't have to stress about switching over to grass fed meats, just look at the labels and make sure they are not cured with sugar as so many are even if the front label doesn't mention it. Check all the labels of everything you buy as sugar is named so many other things: brown sugar, cane sugar, corn syrup, honey, maple syrup, molasses, glucose, lactose, maltose, fructose, high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol, dextrose, sorghum, galactose, fruit juice concentrate. I personally cannot afford the higher end meats regularly so just check the labels.

Good luck with it! :)

Ketchup is sugar, disguised as a condiment.

You sound a little "relaxed" with your off-plan items. Maybe do a "whole30" type month, where you stick 100% and see what happens?