"You need to get a new hobby..." [RANT]

[RANT]

So, this conversation just happened...

I was helping a coworker and looking for a file on my computer. He saw my background on my PC, which is this:

10-weightlifting-svg-hi.png

(tiled)

He then tells me, "You need to get a hobby." To which I replied, "I have one. This is it." Then he had the audacity to say "Well, you need to get a new hobby then."

WTF?!?!?! Getting healthy and strong isn't a good hobby?

I think I sense some jealousy here... Which is too bad, cause I thought he was a pretty chill guy. Why do people say things like this? ARGH! Sometimes I hate working in an office environment. I wish I could just work at or own a gym, make lots of money, and LIFT ALL THE HEAVY THINGS all day! *le sigh*

[/RANT]

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

So you don't know him that well? Seems out of line to me. He's probably threatened by women who lift. Start posting your PRs on lifts in your workspace.

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

I feel for you, I really do. I have several people like this around me. Ignore them. It's jealously.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

So you don't know him that well? Seems out of line to me. He's probably threatened by women who lift. Start posting your PRs on lifts in your workspace.

OOOOOOOOHHHHH, I think I will do this! I'm gonna buy a little white board and post it up right behind me so everyone will see it.

you can say: "i took your advice and my new hobby is being strong enough to be able to crush you like a rusty coke can, so... what do you bench?"

I like this. :)

We should open the nerdfitness gym franchise?

YES! ALL THE YESSES! I wish someone would make this happen!

He's just a dick. Who doesn't support someones hobby, regardless of what it is?

Don't worry Angela, we think your hobby is awesome!

d'awwww... thanks.

UGH. I work with people like this, namely mrs "you're gonna become a big fat housefrau". Some days you just wanna hulk smash people. *sigh*

HULK SMASH STUPID PEOPLE!

Thanks guys. It really does help to have such a great online community.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Aw, that sucks, Angela. But, obviously ignore him!

Yesterday, I told a friend I was jealous of his muscles and was working hard on getting stronger. He asked why, and I said "Because I want to be strong and able". His reply?

"Hmmmm, girls should act like girls".

Well, I'll make sure to hold my petticoats daintily as I HULK SMASH YOU INTO THE GROUND!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

you can say: "i took your advice and my new hobby is being strong enough to be able to crush you like a rusty coke can, so... what do you bench?"

Sounds like the guy is a giant tool & is intimidated, so I agree with ETFnerd, intimidate him some more!!!!!

Well, I'll make sure to hold my petticoats daintily as I HULK SMASH YOU INTO THE GROUND!

^^^ this is the awesome.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

My hobby is driving slowly around schools in a white unmarked panel van and pointing a big camera out the window. Please support me :P

Your name isn't by coincedence is it Mr Kombiman.

Angela, we know your hobby is awesome.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

In these situations I used to get very angry, rudeness is just not acceptable. I now heckle them instead.

Them 'you need a new hobby'

Me 'boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you should cut down on your pork pies mate and get some exercise'

My wife and all you beautiful, heavy lifting nerd ladies out there are amazing and don't forget it.

GO ON PIGS!!

:pig:

STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 2 CON - 2 WIS - 1 CHA - 3

Grab the person, pull them real close and whisper this in their ear... :encouragement:

(apology if the language in it offends, mods please delete if necessary)

Dude... Where did that quote come from? It was pretty sweet, and now I need to memorize it for when I leave being a "benchmark to change ... habits" and become "a f****ing tribute to human will."

(please excuse the edits for conciseness and language (it doesn't offend me, I just prefer not to use it))

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Dude... Where did that quote come from? It was pretty sweet ....

http://www.djixas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/0_Some_people_just_need_some_inspiration-s2041x1275-171007.png and I think I've seen it somewhere on youtube, too -- and maybe a few other places. Not sure where it started.

I need one aimed at straight women (because, frankly, I don't care if my girlfriend is checking you out -- I'm not interested in her anyway).

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Grab the person, pull them real close and whisper this in their ear... :encouragement:

(apology if the language in it offends, mods please delete if necessary)

I have this quote also, except mine looks like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]3879[/ATTACH]

Ha ha ha! This made me laugh out loud! I applaud you Sambalina

Angela, The path of fitness isn't a hobby, a hobby is something you do to distract you from all of the work and can be seemingly pointless in the long run (ie video games), however Fitness is a Path to improving one's life, making one better than who they are at this moment. The very fact that this guy sees this as a hobby shows that he doesn't care too much about his own life, nor improving it. To demote your fitness to something like a 'hobby' shows ignorance and fear, nothing more.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Angela, The path of fitness isn't a hobby, a hobby is something you do to distract you from all of the work and can be seemingly pointless in the long run (ie video games), however Fitness is a Path to improving one's life, making one better than who they are at this moment. The very fact that this guy sees this as a hobby shows that he doesn't care too much about his own life, nor improving it. To demote your fitness to something like a 'hobby' shows ignorance and fear, nothing more.

In my opinion weight and other training to be more functional, age well, and resist injury = critical self-improvement.

Running a marathon, benching 300 lbs, squatting 2xBW, one-arm pull ups, etc = hobby. A hobby that is good for you if gone about intelligently , but a hobby.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Wow! Thanks for all of this, my fellow rebels!!! I just love this place.

^this. You nailed it.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal