• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

catspaw

Blood test and Cholesterol

I got results from a blood test today. First off, I know that high LDL cholesterol does not mean death in the paleo context. So I don't need that explained to me.

That said, if anyone does know how to interpret the data in a paleo context, I'd love more information.

Total Cholesterol: 265 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says over 240 is "high risk")

LDL-C direct: 181 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says over 130 is "high risk")

HDL-C direct: 75 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says over 40 is "great")

Triglycerides: 46 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says under 150 is "great")

LP(a): <1 (conventional wisdom says under 50 is "great")

Apo B: 133 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says over 80 is "high risk")

Actually the phone call with the doctor was pretty funny. She was pretty much convinced I was about to die of a heart attack any minute now. "Do you eat a lot of meat?", she asked. "Yeah," I nodded. "How many servings per day?" I thought about it: "I try for between 1.5 and 2 lbs per day." Long, long silence.

For others who are just curious about the rest of the results, here's a bunch of random data on me (haha):

hs-CRP (inflammation marker): 0.44 mg/dL (Under 1.0 is "great")

Glucose insulin resistance: 70 mg/dL (70-99 is "great")

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone: 2.14 μlU/mL (0.45 - 4.20 is "great")

Liver indicators:

Alanine aminotransferase: 23.0 U/L (8 - 33 is "optimal")

Alkaline Phosphatase: 61.0 U/L (40 - 128 is "optimal")

Aspartate aminotransferase: 22.0 U/L (< 32 is "optimal")

Bilirubin (total): 0.3 mg/dl (0.2 - 1.2 is "optimal")

Albumin protein in blood: 5.0 g/dl (3.5 - 5.2 is "optimal")

Total protein amount (serum): 7.3 g/dL (6.0 - 8.5 is "optimal")

Kidney indicators:

Creatinine (serum): 0.93 mg/dl (0.57 - 1.00 is "optimal")

Blood Urea Nitrogen: 20.0 mg/dL (6 - 20 is "optimal")

Electrolytes

Sodium: 141 mmol/L (133 - 145 is "optimal")

Potassium: 4.5 mmol/dL (3.5 - 5.0 is "optimal")

Chloride: 103.0 mmol/L (97 - 108 is "optimal")

CO2: 25.0 mmol/L (22 - 29 is "optimal")

Calcium: 9.8 mg/dL (8.7 - 10.2 is "optimal")

I got results from a blood test today. First off, I know that high LDL cholesterol does not mean death in the paleo context. So I don't need that explained to me.

That said, if anyone does know how to interpret the data in a paleo context, I'd love more information.

Total Cholesterol: 265 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says over 240 is "high risk")

LDL-C direct: 181 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says over 130 is "high risk")

HDL-C direct: 75 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says over 40 is "great")

Triglycerides: 46 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says under 150 is "great")

LP(a): <1 (conventional wisdom says under 50 is "great")

Apo B: 133 mg/dL (conventional wisdom says over 80 is "high risk")

Actually the phone call with the doctor was pretty funny. She was pretty much convinced I was about to die of a heart attack any minute now. "Do you eat a lot of meat?", she asked. "Yeah," I nodded. "How many servings per day?" I thought about it: "I try for between 1.5 and 2 lbs per day." Long, long silence.

For others who are just curious about the rest of the results, here's a bunch of random data on me (haha):

hs-CRP (inflammation marker): 0.44 mg/dL (Under 1.0 is "great")

Glucose insulin resistance: 70 mg/dL (70-99 is "great")

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone: 2.14 μlU/mL (0.45 - 4.20 is "great")

Liver indicators:

Alanine aminotransferase: 23.0 U/L (8 - 33 is "optimal")

Alkaline Phosphatase: 61.0 U/L (40 - 128 is "optimal")

Aspartate aminotransferase: 22.0 U/L (< 32 is "optimal")

Bilirubin (total): 0.3 mg/dl (0.2 - 1.2 is "optimal")

Albumin protein in blood: 5.0 g/dl (3.5 - 5.2 is "optimal")

Total protein amount (serum): 7.3 g/dL (6.0 - 8.5 is "optimal")

Kidney indicators:

Creatinine (serum): 0.93 mg/dl (0.57 - 1.00 is "optimal")

Blood Urea Nitrogen: 20.0 mg/dL (6 - 20 is "optimal")

Electrolytes

Sodium: 141 mmol/L (133 - 145 is "optimal")

Potassium: 4.5 mmol/dL (3.5 - 5.0 is "optimal")

Chloride: 103.0 mmol/L (97 - 108 is "optimal")

CO2: 25.0 mmol/L (22 - 29 is "optimal")

Calcium: 9.8 mg/dL (8.7 - 10.2 is "optimal")

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-vi

http://samsnyder.com/2012/01/05/medical-tests-recommended-by-dr-ron-rosedale/

Did you get your LDL breakdown? I know people say high LDL is ok if it's the big/fluffy stuff (can't remember if that's a or B). My guess since your crp is good and your triglycerides are low that you mostly have the harmless LDL. I think if you had the small/dense LDL your CRP would be high. Or if your triglycerides were high, you might have more of the bad LDL.

Otherwise, your HDL is excellent! Of course this high good is impacting total cholesterol. Total cholesterol is calculate by taking LDL + HDL + tri/5. So the better your good gets, the higher your total gets.

Unless I missed something, everything else looks excellent!

This is all based on my personal research of cholesterol. I have no medical experience.

Also, some common ratios to look at are: Total/HDL. You want to be below 3.5. And trig/HDL should be less than 2, less than 1 is ideal.

265/75 - This is 3.53. But, if your LDL are the good/fluffy type, then I'm not sure I'd worry. If you have a lot of the fluffy stuff, it creates more volume. So... I still feel like this is ok.

46/75 - This one is .61. So, excellent.

If you're really worried and you didn't get results of the LDL breakdown, that's the only thing I'd do. That said, I personally would be happy with these results. :)

i would get an explanation from the doctor about her specific concerns... do my own research... and i wouldn't gamble with my health by trusting paleo science blindly...

it is possible that paleo science is right... but there is always a chance that it isn't... good luck... :)

you'd mentioned before that you'd reached out to paleo experts before on other topics... and i was wondering why you wouldn't have asked this questions directly to the paleo experts...

thinking through it, i would think that if you reached out to them, they wouldn't respond because it could be construed as giving personal medical advice... and why would they want the the legal liability if they told you they believed it was ok and you dropped dead tomorrow...? so it seems unlikely that you would get a constructive answer from them...

in past robb wolf articles i've read, he goes out of his way to say that what he writes doesn't supercede the full medical history with which a doctor makes a diagnosis... in essence he writes about cholesterol and it's effects generally... but he doesn't have a medical license... so he can't give medical advice...

i wonder what you're trying to accomplish by asking people in an internet forum to assess your medical test results... are you looking for non-expert paleo opinions...? or maybe validation of your trust in paleo principles...?

apparently there is a paleo physicians network here... maybe a consult there of your results is what you need... i would still research the doctors' credentials... maybe try to find a cardiologist in there and skip the chiropractors and dentists...

http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/

this guy seems like the best qualified in your general area, but still far from a cardiologist...

he seems to check out with healthgrades and treats CVD...

Edited by ETFnerd

apparently there is a paleo physicians network here... maybe a consult there of your results is what you need... i would still research the doctors' credentials... maybe try to find a cardiologist in there and skip the chiropractors and dentists...

http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/

That network should totally be in the sharing knowledge threads, maybe in the paleo nutrition one?

Also, does anyone remember who was asking about paleo doctors for their GI issues? Maybe this link would be useful for him/her? <--found it, replied to OP

It is a bit tough to find info from reputable sources out there, and a bit dodgy to rely on best guesses.

Edited by Georges

I agree with what everyone's said. And I'm NOT paleo. (I'm also not anti-paleo.) I'm trying to figure out what type of eating works for MY body.

If you want to know my story... My cholesterol (total) was high and my dad had bypass surgery in his 40s. So I've been watching my numbers since my 20s. My triglycerides were very high (in the 230s), which was what was pushing my total cholesterol up. Once I got my triglycerides under control, my total cholesterol fell into the normal range. I did tons of research on my own because my doc told me I'd have to get on meds. I found a doctor who suggested a carb-controlled diet similar to a diabetic's. You limit yourself to 30 carbs per meal (diabetics are limited to grams of sugar per meal). So, instead of saying you could have X carbs per day, you could have up to 30 carbs per meal. My triglycerides went from 230s to 60s in about 4 weeks.

At the time of that blood work, my LDLs were in the healthy range, but I was eating mostly eating chicken breasts, lean steak, etc. Over the past five months I've branched out to fattier meats. So I suspect my LDLs have been impacted. But I also plan to have my LDL types broken down with my next test, and if the small/dense LDLs are low/acceptable, and my CRP is in a good range, then I'm happy with that and won't worry so much about the total LDL.

I wouldn't take one person's advice from the boards and run with it. But I would use it as a starting point to do continue research, so I'm very interested in continuing this discussion. My own research has made more of a difference in my blood work results than talking to my family doctor. So I'm definitely interested in a lot of perspectives, if anyone wants to share.

And please don't take my ramblings as trying to force anyone to change. I'm just trying to relay what I researched, and what did or didn't work for me, in hopes it'll help someone else!

Also, Kelly: thanks for that math bit above. I did mine and got good results on both. Huzzah! Where'd you find that info? Do you recall? I know we've talked about the info gathering before :P

I think those ratios are industry standards. When I tell my mom my cholesterol results (she's a nurse), the first thing she does are my ratios. This site says to stay under 5:1, 3.5:1 is optimal.

Here's a link explaining (which mentions 5:1, 3.5:1 optimal): http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-ratio/AN01761

Here's another link with more details of overall numbers: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/LDL%26HDL.html

Here's how I do research: I start looking for what I want to know. I try to find several sources that explain what and why, and if they all are leaning in the same direction, that's what I go with.

That second link also references a HDL/LDL ratio.

Catspaw, I'm sorry to inform you: you've turned into a squid. It could be permanent.

Catspaw, I'm sorry to inform you: you've turned into a squid. It could be permanent.

Oh goddamn it. At least I'm still an intelligent species.

Thanks to everyone above for the useful info! I'm not particularly worried, just enjoy learning about how my body works and this seems like a great opportunity to read/learn more. :)

My husband's triglyceride levels were above 600 when he was 29. Yes, you read that right. He's still alive, nine years later, and by all appearances is as healthy as a horse. Low blood pressure, all other bloodwork is perfect except his triglyceride and cholesterol levels. For him, it's genes, his dad is the same way, and he's a very healthy 60 year old man.

The doctors remain stumped.

i'm fairly paleo (that sounds wrong, i try to be as much as i can) and my results were similar to yours cat unfortunately because i'm not actually dying i can't get a LDL breakdown or any sort of in depth test (lousy, massively in debt NHS :/)