• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

yadz

Beware the IHOP omlette!

they put pancake batter in the omlettes at IHOP, what a load of D-bags! I feel cheated, tricked, PISSED OFF!

I mean, no, it's probably not going to torpedo a paleo diet or anything, but it's still a d*ck move.

I know this is the Paleo area and all, but I'll add in my view:

This is why I love their omelettes!!! Makes them all fluffy and so so good!

Also, before getting all mad, remember, IHOP doesn't exactly claim to be Paleo/Primal friendly.....the word "pancakes" is in their name...

I actually knew this. A lot of places do this... even to the point where I have to ask to make sure they don't whenever I go anywhere.

I'm going to have to start doing that. Eggs/Omelets are one of my go-tos for breakfast/brunch/diners.

I actually knew this. A lot of places do this... even to the point where I have to ask to make sure they don't whenever I go anywhere.

I was travelling for business earlier this week. Had an omelet for breakfast at the hotel(because eggs are theoretically more trustworthy than mystery sausage, right?). From the taste I'm pretty sure it had some kind of flour/bisquick in it - It just had that slightly starchy taste that told me it wasn't just plain old, real eggs. Thankfully I don't have gluten issues - but I can see how this is a royal pain for those who do.

I actually dislike this about their omelets, though if I don't mind a small gluten hit, sometimes I get one there. To be fair, though, my biggest complaint about IHOP is that 2 pieces is not a side of bacon. 2 slices is what happens when bacon accidentally makes it's way onto a plate.

Wow, really? I would never have thought to check my omelet for pancake batter. Granted, I've probably only eaten there twice in the last 5 years, but still... Stuff like this just reinforces my desire to eat at home.

What the above folks said -- it's to make them fluffy. In all honesty, a lot of places have omelets that aren't paleo-friendly because they put milk in them. In IHOP's defense, they don't claim to be a GF restaurant. They aren't trying to "trick" you. :) I'd even wager that if you go when they aren't busy, they might be willing to make you one with no batter in it.

What the above folks said -- it's to make them fluffy. In all honesty, a lot of places have omelets that aren't paleo-friendly because they put milk in them. In IHOP's defense, they don't claim to be a GF restaurant. They aren't trying to "trick" you. :) I'd even wager that if you go when they aren't busy, they might be willing to make you one with no batter in it.

To be fair, it does say right on the menu that the omelets have batter in them.

FYI - a lot of places put milk in the scrambled eggs too for the same reason.

WHich makes having eggs when we're out a no go for me since I'm lactose intolerant. And sensitive to wheat. I ate at Ihop recently and justed opted for chicken and veggies, sounds like I made a good choice for me

FYI - a lot of places put milk in the scrambled eggs too for the same reason.

I've started using coconut milk in my scrambled eggs and it's A-mazing especially when cooked in bacon grease!

To be fair, it does say right on the menu that the omelets have batter in them.

I've never noticed that.... not that I eat at IHOP a lot and when I do, I tend to order other things, like pancakes.

I think "Beware the IHOP ______" is just good advice in general. But still, what the flying fuck are they doing? That doesn't even make sense...

I think "Beware the IHOP ______" is just good advice in general. But still, what the flying fuck are they doing? That doesn't even make sense...

Adds volume - the same size omelet with a little flour/bisquik will be lighter/fluffier(and less expensive for the restaurant) than one made of just eggs. You can definitely tell the difference in texture if you're looking for it, though.