Maau2005's Bitter to Better Challenge

maau2005

Hey Guys and Gals! I'm new to Nerd Fitness and I'm here to make myself a better/thinner man. I want to discipline myself both in my exercise and dieting Habits. I want to live a healthier lifestyle.

I've done light dieting before, and I've done some strict exercise programs, but with not much results. I find it really hard to follow through on changing my diet as I find myself being restraint by the hours of my work, and the money it costs to eat healthy and not gobble up loads of rice.

4 years ago I was a varsity member of my college rowing crew. I weighed 170 then. My crew and I were supposed to compete in an International rowing crew race in Malaysia. Unfortunately, our crew disbanded due to unforeseen circumstances and we withdrew from the race. After which I started slacking off on my training. A few months after I tore My Achilles playing ball, and after surgery, it took me 6 months to recover (no exercise at all). That was when I really started to let go, and I gained a lot of weight as the years gone by.

I'm here now to show my conviction and determination(with your help), as I now strive to change myself, and develop myself into one of the most bad ass Rangers there is! Let's do this!

Race: Human

Class/Clan: Ranger

Height: 5'6

Weight: 197 Lbs

Waistline: 38 inches

STR - 2 physical strength

DEX - 3 agility and speed

STA - 3 Endurance and Energy

CON - 3 ability to resist damage and disease

WIS - 2 intuition and sense of things around himself

CHA - 2 force of personality and physical attractiveness

Goals:

Convert to a 90% Paleo diet (CON +3)

Do 10 pull ups (STR+2, STA+1)

Run 7K without stopping (DEX+1,STA+2)

Lose 10-15 Pounds (CHA+2)

Balance time for work, friends, family, and have workouts days. (CON+1)

Study either Stocks, Mandarin, or Programming (WIS+2)

Life Goals

Live a healthier Lifestyle (less unhealthy foods, more exercising) (CON+1)

I'll do my best to push through and change my lifestyle in order to attain my goals! I'll also do my best to support the rest of you as well! I want to change bitter memories and bitter efforts and use it as fuel to make a Better me. Cheers!

Maau2005 Bitter to Better

Human - Ranger

STR - 2, DEX - 3, STA - 3, CON - 3, WIS - 2, CHA - 2

Welcome!!! Get ready to kick it up!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Welcome to the Rebellion! Let us know how we can help you achieve your goals. A helpful starting place might be to outline how you're going to achieve each one; for example, for the running goal you could say you're currently able to do a 5K (or whatever), and you're going to run three times per week until you can run 7K.

Week 1, Day 1.

You know how they say the first step is the hardest? Its true!

Here's how my day went

Nutrition

Woke up at 5am, and worked till 2pm.

Nutrition:

I'm trying the Fasting program from leangains.

From 8am-1pm, I ate practically a cup of cashew nuts in small portions with lots of water. I also had an expreso shot,

1pm: My lunch was 4 pieces of pork barbecue, with no fats. This was extremely hard as during lunch time, my office mate suddenly bought 2 big boxes of donuts for everyone. Everyone ate, and had a good time. It took some effort, but I didn't indulge. Didn't want to cheat on the very first day.

7PM: My Dinner was half a bowl of oatmeal (with one teaspoon of sugar), and a handful of cashew nuts. I didn't eat much as I was late, I had to go to the gym!

Workout:

12 minute jog/walk warm up

All Using a 50 pound barbell

Deadlifts (12X3)

Cleans (12X3)

High Pull (12X3)

Bent Over Row (12X3)

Push press (12X3)

Squats (12X3)

And to end the day, I played 2 hours of basketball with my friends. I ran as much as I could.

To end the workout, I took my glass of protein shake, 170 calories. and some water.

That is my first day! I think it went pretty well, need to eat a bit more though!

Hope everyone else had a good first day as well!

Human - Ranger

Week 1, Day 2

Hey Guys! Day two was pretty uneventful, Didn't have work, I just did some chores.

Nutrition

Breakfast 1pm: 1 handful of cashew nuts (for the oil) 1 bowl of oatmeal

Dinner: 9pm: Ate at Chilli's, Ate half of Their Santa Fe Steak, 2-3 table spoons of mashed potato, and veggies (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower)

Workout:

Wasn't able to workout today as my skin asthma was really bad, couldn't afford to sweat much. I used this day to recover from it. :(

Can't wait for the next day! I'll make up for today's lack of exercise!

Human - Ranger

Week 1, Day 3

Day 3 wasn't that great in all honesty..

Breakfast 11am (while watching the NBA finals): 1 bowl of oatmeal

Lunch: 3am-6pm ( i ate bit by bit)Steamed fish fillet with a little salt, Peas&carrots&corn steamed with some butter, and a cup of kimchi.

Late Dinner 1130pm. Ate some broccoli and mushrooms, and half a bowl of congee with shrimp and mushrooms and 1 egg.

Exercise, I played an hour of badminton! Wasn't that much, I broke a sweat, but it wasn't enough. I didn't have the experience where my shirt shirt was drenched with sweat :( Good thing though since it was badminton, I was able to exercise my legs a lot..

Hope you guys had a better day! Wohoo! Let's do this! On to day 4!

Human - Ranger

Thanks for the support guys! I'll take it step by step and day by day!

Week 1, Day 4

Nutrition

Breakfast : 1pm 1 bowl of oatmeal

Lunch/dinner :3pm-8pm (I just ate when I was hungry) 5-7 pieces of barbecued chicken breast(fillet) and vegetables

Exercise:

None again :( Was too tired from work, went home right after and slept..

Human - Ranger

I think it's a lot easier to go all-paleo than only part-paleo. If you still nibble on agri-foods, you will keep craving them. Cut them out completely, and those cravings stop altogether. Otherwise 90% paleo can slip into 80%, 70%, etc. A smoothie with banana, berries, and coconut milk will fill you up really well for breakfast. You can add an egg and you won't even taste it. You'll get WAY more nutrients than a bowl of oatmeal.

Jesse Mattson - Philomath, OR - Rangers Lead The Way!

my website  my blog

I think it's a lot easier to go all-paleo than only part-paleo. If you still nibble on agri-foods, you will keep craving them. Cut them out completely, and those cravings stop altogether. Otherwise 90% paleo can slip into 80%, 70%, etc. A smoothie with banana, berries, and coconut milk will fill you up really well for breakfast. You can add an egg and you won't even taste it. You'll get WAY more nutrients than a bowl of oatmeal.

Thanks Archer! You have a point! Thank you for your advice! I'll put it to practice!

Human - Ranger

Hey! Its been a while since I last posted! I'll post days 5,6 and 7here!

Week 1, Day 4

Exercise: Didn't do anything again today

Nutrition: Chicken breast, vegetables the whole day. Ate 3 times today.

Week 1, Day 6

Exercise: None again, had to meet a friend that night so I didn't have the time.

Nutrition: Brunch was some barbecued chicken breast (1pm), Dinner was sushi. I ate 10 pieces of maki for dinner.

Week 1, Day 7

Exercise: Played two hours of basketball with intense running! I ran till my legs wouldn't listen to me anymore!

Nutrition: Chicken breast for brunch at around 1pm, ate a handful of nuts and a bite of chicken at 4pm, and salad and chicken wings at around 10pm.

Week 1, Day 8

Exercise: Played another two hours of basketball at night (next time, its gym time!) Intense cardio routine yet again!

Nutrition: Brunch: 1 salad, a handful of nuts, and a handful of caramelized popcorn. That was basically my whole day, I ate a bite of chicken(just a bite) after basketball since I was soooo hungry!

Human - Ranger

Miguel I think you better work on systematizing your nutrition! Judging from your posts, it's either you're hella undernourished or you're binge'ing on the nuts you seem to have everywhere with you HAHAHA!

Come on guy! Let's do this! 1 week down, we have 5 more to go to make a dent!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines