Outlaw Centaur's Ocean Call Adventure

Ocelot

Heh, you guys are making me look forward to the day I have some money to budget!!

The amazing news is that I have TWO job interviews this week. (No one told me they would be like buses and all come at once!) I am so excited as both are my perfect hours and surely I'll get ONE of them?!...

Anywho...

WEEK ONE REVIEW! (finally.)

In summary: BAD NEWS! The Oceangoing Centaur has been injured. She was hammering planks onto the frame of her boat and accidentally trod on a nail. (This is almost literally what happened. I was fixing my stable door.) Huge hole right in the sole of my foot. It makes walking painful and running impossible. I can't do any squats, deadlifts, kettlebell, anything standing up. I can still plank, chin up and pull up! And re cardio, I can cycle! But that's IT. So I'm trying to do as much as possible of those things. This mishap has thrown off my calorie burn deficit goal as I didn't figure out about the cycling in time. I also had another idea today that I can practice my staff spinning, as I can stand still doing that with one foot rested. So I should be able to get this week back on track.

As far as nutrition goes, it wasn't ideal. I'm very low on money and bread is cheap. Thank goodness I have lots of protein powder as its cheaper in bulk. Having trouble not having a kitchen to cook in except for mornings when I visit my grandmother. BAH. NEED TO LEVEL UP MY LIFE!

Still... I got my required protein every single day which I'm proud of! (Also went over on carbs every single day. OMG. Such a carboholic. Solution: re-quit grain and sugar. I don't even eat that much, but with all the legumes and fruit I eat its easy for any extra to add up.)

This week I also completed the sidestep challenge. 127 in a minute?! Did I do it wrong? That seems to many when I read everyone else's. Must find a video of someone doing it and check I got it right. +1 DEX anyway!

This is the score anyway...

Day 4, Thursday 21st

Plank record: No change

Top mile time: No change

Pistols: None

Deficit progress: 1232 calories.

Financial Landlubber Bureaucracy: No progress

Crew members on board: 21 of a possible 55

Day 5, Friday 22nd

Plank record: 3:03 (up 14 seconds!)

Deficit progress: 1120 calories. This was foot hurting day and so I undertrained :/

Day 6, Saturday 23rd

Deficit progress: 1643 calories.

Day 7, Sunday 24th

Plank record: 03:20:51 (up 17 seconds!) Yay! I'm making strides in this area. Probably because I can't do many other kidns of strength training with my injury!

Top mile time: No change. I CANNOT RUN. I AM GOING CRAZY. But hey, at least I'm catchign those jungle goats - my usual cycle time is a five minute mile!!

Deficit progress: 1877 calories. Was hoping for nearer 2500 this week, so I may have difficulty catching up with my big goal... It's still half a pound supposedly lost though!

and because I can... Here is day one of week two!

Day 8, Monday 25th

Deficit progress: 2221 calories (this includes entire challenge so far)

Financial Landlubber Bureaucracy: I HAVE TWO JOB INTERVIEWS!

Crew members on board: 22 of a possible 55. Up one! Ex-Housemate Friend 'M' is on board. I talked to her last night until midnight on the phone. She's not local by a long way, and is planning to head off to ride trains around mainland Europe but she may come and visit before she goes.

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

Good luck with your job interviews:)

Fingers crossed you get one, living off protein powder probably isn't ideal so $ from a new job will help with your groceries etc.

Also, sorry to hear about your nail accident:(

You are doing great on your exercises especially planks plus maybe I did the side steps thingy wrong......will have to check now!

'Don't quit, two words, that's it' :-)

Hej,

wow what a creative challenge description, I love it! :) After being a bit lazy for the last 2 two weeks unfortunately, I feel motivated again just by reading your text, thank you, now I have to write my own thread again :)

I wish you all the best with your job interviews and get well soon! I'm curious to read what you will be writing next :)

Greetings Eve

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Half Night Elf Adventurer

STR 3.25 | DEX 2 | STA 7.75 | CON 2.75 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

Current Challenge: 2012 | June 18 - July 30 |

Don't be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try.

Glad to be counted as part of the crew! I know what it's like to have my closest friends live far away, my 2 closest friend live 2 hrs away in opposite directions and none of friends from school or uni live less than hour away. It means that I really have to make an effort to catch up, how are you finding it? Good luck making contact with the people when it was embarrassing the last time you saw them!

Level 3 Half Dwarf Adventurer

STR-6.5 / DEX-4 / STA-6.75 / CON-13 / WIS-7.5/ CHA-4

Week 1 mini challenge +1 WIS

Start Weight - 212lbs (Feb 2012)

Current Weight - 185.8lbs

Goal Weight - 150lbs

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new" Albert Einstein

Thats a mess of people to catch up with! I'm terrible at keeping up with people. Theres a guy I work with who sets reoccuring reminders on his computer to keep in touch with professional contacts. Every time one pops up he picks up the phone or sends a quick email. I've been thinking of doing the same for my friends and family. Maybe next challenge I will make a push like you are doing. Inspirational stuff, keep up the good work!

The amazing news is that I have TWO job interviews this week. (No one told me they would be like buses and all come at once!) I am so excited as both are my perfect hours and surely I'll get ONE of them?!...

No, stay positive. You'll get offers from both and they'll compete to have you. Best of luck with the interviews! And sorry to hear about the nail. Hopefully it heals up quick and you can get back to running and everything else you can't do standing.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Hi Ocelot.

Great goals.

As for number 4, my family's finances have been sorted ever since using the envelope system / bucket system /whateveryawannacallit.

Short breakdown:

1. All INCOME ... wait ... ALL INCOME goes into one account.

2. All bills are paid from that one account.

- for this to happen, make a budget. What are your fixed bills (rent, internet, etc..), what are your variable bills (food, phonebill, etc..) write them all down. For the variable bills, put aside enough money to pay them. Plan a bit of a buffer.

3. Pocket money / fun money / expendable money - is budgeted and transfered to a seperate account

- The idea behind this is simple. Even if you empty that account completely, all your bills will still be paid and you will be neither starving or homeless.

4. Savings go into a seperate savings account

Notes:

Pay cash whenever possible.

We actually have a "grocery wallet". The amount we budget for groceries in a month goes in there at the start of the month.

Anyhow...

Good luck.

::zielperson::

I know this was a while ago, but THIS. STEALING IT.

Emily
Human Adventurer
STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 1 CON: 2 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Great job working around the injury, ocelot! And I find it SO awesome that you're trying to contact all of the people close to you. This is an amazing goal! And kudos on the planks!! I have a very weak trunk, so I can only last for about a half a minute before taking a break. LOL Your progress is definitely inspiring to me!

Emily
Human Adventurer
STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 1 CON: 2 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Thank you everybody for all the luck because it worked! Today's not over... but I had to come on just to proclaim my job-getting supremacy to the heavens. I have got the job! I went to interview for the first thing and while I was there the manager offered me a different position with more money and much better hours! So I am going on Monday to fill out forms and then all being well I will begin. This is very very good, because it means that in just three weeks I'll be actual SAVING money, rather than heading rapidly for zero. Its such a weight off my mind.

I want to go running so much but my foot is still agonising. I made it bleed again today just by walking. So I'll have to settle for planking longer than ever before. Hopefully. Zero-Foot-Impact-Workout coming up in an hour so we will see.

Yesterdays progress report.

Day 9, Tuesday 26th

Deficit progress: 3017. Yay! Over 3000!.... only 12,000 left...

Financial Landlubber Bureaucracy: Job interview tomorrow! Also got all my 'accounts' up to date. Last week the budget balanced at -£1.34 and that was only because I found some money in a pocket I forgot I had. LOL.

Crew members on board: 22 of a possible 55. No change. Must focus. I plan to ring several Snot City numbers tomorrow and see who I can find.

Congratulations on the new job, that's great news! Hope your foot gets better soon.

Level 3 Half Dwarf Adventurer

STR-6.5 / DEX-4 / STA-6.75 / CON-13 / WIS-7.5/ CHA-4

Week 1 mini challenge +1 WIS

Start Weight - 212lbs (Feb 2012)

Current Weight - 185.8lbs

Goal Weight - 150lbs

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new" Albert Einstein

Thank you everybody for all the luck because it worked! Today's not over... but I had to come on just to proclaim my job-getting supremacy to the heavens. I have got the job! I went to interview for the first thing and while I was there the manager offered me a different position with more money and much better hours! So I am going on Monday to fill out forms and then all being well I will begin. This is very very good, because it means that in just three weeks I'll be actual SAVING money, rather than heading rapidly for zero. Its such a weight off my mind.

Woohoo! Congratulations!

Zero-Foot-Impact-Workout coming up in an hour so we will see.

That's another good skill to have as a pirate, it gets you ready for the unfortunate but inevitable peg-leg accident.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Wow! Congratulations on the job!

My sympathy for the foot injury, those are nasty.

Please look out for the wound, puncture wounds can be tricky. If unsure, please see a doctor.

If you are unlucky, a pocket can develop if the wound heals over before it has healed on the inside and that is seriously not something you want to happen.

(Source: I worked in surgery where we treated wounds like that. A nail one time, a dog bite the second time.)

::zielperson::

Eee, thanks, I'm so very happy :]

Yeah! I'm thinking a peg leg is the way to go. No nerve endings. These foot things have turned out to be a little deficient as, um, walking-upon implements. :|

Ziel, the doctor's seen it, and it's being checked again so no worries! I actually think it looks a little better today, which is the first day I've thought that, so hopefully it's a good sign. Thanks for being so considerate as ever!

Yesterday's report is mostly that I ate a LOT... but not as much as I COULD have... (I like to think that thought on the bad days, it gives me something to cling onto!)

I tried some city numbers and got no one. I also managed to re-acquire my one and only home-town-friend's number, so I don't have to go knocking on doors. Just have to work up courage to ring or text now.

My plank is plateauing because my arms feel very tired! MUST make this a real rest day for my arms. Should be possible as my foot stops me carrying things around at the stables.

Oohh, brilliant =D That means you will be able to row out to the big ship when it's built - of course we would probably turn the raft into furniture, but if you manage a coracle it can be stowed aboard and used for land missions!

I'm past the yacht stage now, latest PR is 3:40 ... 20 seconds away from schooner. I am forcing myself to do no planking at ALL for two days, I think I need a break. But at my current rate of improvement I should definitely at least make brigantine by the end. I can't take anything for granted though.

The crew roster is still a little sparse. But I've got a plan to visit some friends tomorrow, so that'll be something!

Updates up til the end of Week 2:

Day 9, Tuesday 26th - Day 14, Sunday 1st June

Plank record: 3:40:04 - up 20 seconds! Yay planks. So glad I picked a goal I can work towards with an injured foot. Unlike...

Top mile time: No change. I ran on the foot today and it emitted only a dull ache, so I think I can start training again but goodness knows how much fitness I've lost - it's been 8 days!

Pistols: I think I am almost getting all the way down now, but still no official full ones (I'm going to film me doing it when I think I am, to check)

Deficit progress: I only burned 982 calories this week. Partly because I can't run or do much training, although my foot is feeling a little better now; partly because it's been raining and partly because I've been making bad food decisions. HOWEVER, despite this goal being seriously off track, I have lost 5lbs, and 13.5 inches from various places. I don't really know why I'm losing weight, as I'm not eating a very large deficit at all! It's interesting and not what I expected.

Financial Landlubber Bureaucracy: I am starting my new job today! I've also managed to keep track of all my outgoings so far this challenge, without a single thing forgotten. I also threw all my paperwork all over the floor and then put it back in its folders. This didn't actually get me much nearer completing last years accounts but it was definitely a psychological boost. Lol.

Crew on board: I did have a 'phone tree' session but it wasn't very successful. I found no one from my list. :/

Day 15, Monday 2nd July

Planks - I'm having a break!

Running - Best pace I could make today was 7:27 mile speed and dunno how long I held that for. Legs feeling stiff and achey

Pistols: None, resting these too

Deficit progress: Ate slightly over again today which puts me back below 3000. I won't remind myself where I planned to be by this point...! Now wishing I'd made a carb avoidance goal - I'd probably have found that a more effective way to cut calories than making the vague aim to 'eat less while keeping up protein'. It's the sugary carby things that add up and keep taking me by surprise at the end of the day. ("I ate HOW much?!") Need to quit sugar again so so so bad. Its doing my skin no favours whatsoever. Or anything else.

Financial Affairs: Earning things is happening, hooooraaaaay. I'm working in a massive school, and I'm almost always on my feet - borrowed my granny's HRM (she's a marathoner and a bigger fitness nerd than me!) and according to that I burned over 600 calories in one day! Definitely not a sedentary office job, which is a relief.

Crew on board: Welllll. I'm re-reading my list and thinking there's no way I can find some of these people. I mean, my one-and-only hometown friend? It turns out he's cleared off to Spain for the entire summer. Yeah. I am TOTALLY alone in this town now. BUT, I'm gaining new crew members that I never even thought to put on there. I went to my sister's place in the next town on Tuesday and hung out with her and some of her friends. Two of which I'm adding to my 'on board' list. Then there are my new co-workers. One of whom I vaguely remember from a few years ago, and we're already getting along well. Another co-worker I spent half an hour catching up with today - he was in my year at school and he gave my (one and only) school crush the nickname we all knew him by, so we kind of have a link already... it's such a strange little world, haha. ANYWAY, ramble ahoy, I have four new people to add to the list so that's 26 now.

Day 16, Tuesday 3rd July

Planks - I'm still having a break

Running - Zero

Pistols: None, resting these too

Deficit progress: Ate barely a thing today, it was such a hectic day juggling horses, working, seeing my sister for the first time in ages. Means that for a brief day I made it over the 4000 deficit mark...

Financial Affairs: Earning things is still happening. Writing everything down is still happening.

Crew on board: Still 26

Day 17, Wednesday 4th July

Planks - I'm supposed to be doing a hard workout day today but I just could not find the energy to do so at any point today. I know, I know, excuses... but I honestly am pretty good at doing these things generally, there was literally not one spare moment. I couldn't sleep until 5am, I had to get up at 8am and do work around the farm (carrying 30kg sacks for hours, not a bad way to replace a plank workout!) - then immediately after that I ran home to change for work. Got there to find the lower bolt shot even though nobody was in - the newspaper had gone through the letterbox and nudged it shut. Had to kick the door in... and then use the bolt croppers to free my bike from the lamppost because I'd lost the key. THEN I had to have a 180 second shower, run to work, work for 5 hours, and by the time I got home I was shaky tired and starving. I just had to eat and of course I ate too much and then I fell down on the couch and have not moved since.

Running - Tempo 2 miles. About 8.30 pace. Nothing to remark upon.

Deficit progress: And there goes my 4000 deficit! I'm back under 2000 because of how much I ate today! Gahhh!

Financial Affairs: I am getting paid veeery soon, whooop!

Crew on board: Just talking on Facebook to another old friend - this one who first taught me to spin staffs! Up to 27, which is +1. So today was hard and exhausting and stressful, but I'll take it. I just wish I could eat less food!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines