Not stopping at "Good Enough"

richdf

Hi, I'm a 34 yr old, married, father of two, and I had always been able to eat whatever I wanted, exercise as little as needed, and never really change shape from tall & skinny. I had been promising myself for 10 years+ that I would get fit & muscley one day... like it would happen by itself.

I changed jobs in Feb 2011 from an physically active field-based role, to a mentally active office based role. In addition to my new desk-jockey position, the office fridge sat just behind me and was always stocked full of different cakes & chocolate cake bars. I had found my ideal job & snack fix... or so I thought. Fast forward 11 months & my trousers seemed to have shrunk considerably, I was suffering with digestive issues, lacking in energy, and I wasn't as happy as I used to be.

I had my light-bulb moment in January of this year, when I was diagnosed with an inflammatory bowel disorder. After reading up on the condition, I decided to take action & make some changes. I had read about the Paleo diet, and managed to land on Steve's blog "The beginners Guide to the Paleo Diet". After reading the blog, I decided I wanted to try Paleo. After some discussion with my better half, and some "what's the worst that can happen?" type conversations, we both decided to jump in at the deep end and try Paleo for 30 days.

Since then (and settling on a Primal lifestyle (Paleo + some dairy)), I have more energy, feel healthier, I've dropped a waist size, and I've been exercising - and I enjoy it!:smug:

I think my attributes currently stand as follows:

STR=4, DEX=3, STA=2, CON=2, WIS=3, CHA=1

As I feel my diet is going great at the moment, I am focusing on fitness goals. By the end of 6 weeks, I aim to be able to:

• Perfrom 10 1 leg squats (either leg) (STR +2, DEX +1)
  • Perform 10 chinups in a single set (STR +3)
  • Cycle 5 miles in 30 minutes (STA +2, CON +2)

To level up my life, I will be looking to tile my kitchen. (WIS +3, CHA +2) (This Kitchen has been a labour of love, completely DIY on a budget, and has been in progress for well over a year - A big sorry to my wife)

I started in Feb with Steve's Angry Bird workout, but have recently switched to his Body Weight Circuits. I'm currently on a hybrid/midway version of the beginner and advanced Circuits - comprising of 3 circuits of the following: Squats (10), Lunges (10 L&R), Jump ups (10 L&R), Pull ups (3), Dips (10), Chin ups (3), Press ups (10), Plank (30sec), Jumping Jacks (30).

Hitting the circuits head on (after warm up) takes me approx. 22 mins. I am not yet able to complete the 3 circuits with single sets of reps, especially when on the 3rd circuit, but I'm improving my stamina, so hope to be able to Level Up my circuits by the end of challenge.

I want to alternate my circuits with bicycle interval training (more inspiration from our illustrious leader). I have been out once on my bike so far (3.5 KM in 13 mins) and definitely want to do this more often. I'm just waiting on a longer seat post, as my bike frame is slightly small (ETA. 23rd). Once that arrives, I shall be tracking progress using Endomodo on my phone (great app, especially pro version), which I hope to share here.

Circuits tonight again, & results to follow.

I want to use this challenge to up my game & stop me getting complacent with being "Good Enough", and ultimately I'm looking toward Levelling Up from a Half-Elf Adventure to a Half-Elf Ranger-Assassin (aim high!)

L3 (Pending) Half-Elf Ranger
STR :: 9 | DEX :: 6 | STA :: 6 | CON :: 6 | WIS :: 10 | CHA :: 3.5

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.

Thank you for the well wishes, it'll help with the motivation knowing that there's others watching!

Completed my Body Weight Circuits tonight, and to set a benchmark, here's a breakdown (excluding warm-up & cool-down):

Circuit1: All reps in single sets, with good form, except chin ups (1 Full + 2 Reverse); Time: 5:13

Circuit2: All reps in single sets, with good form, except pull ups (2 Full + 1 Reverse) and chin ups (1F + 2R); Time: 5:34

Circuit3: Single sets with good form until pull ups (1F + 2R), good dips, arms gone for chin ups (0F! + 3R), same for press ups (2 sets of 5 reps with 30 second rest), and good plank & JJs; Time 6:57

Total time: 17:45

I'm happy with that, I know I was pushing toward the end, but it allows room for improvement! Let's see how arms feel tomorrow :ambivalence:

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Thanks zenmom!

Still waiting on bike part, so I'm sort of making this week up as I go along.

So, yesterday, I joined my lady wife for a 30 minute yoga session which really relieved my aches!

However, as I didn't do my cardio/intervals, tonights BWC were substituted for a 30 minute Tae-Bo Energise session - my goodness Billy Blanks has tooo much energy!! Definitely worked up a sweat, but I recovered quite quickly, and now don't have the satisfaction of feeling that after-excercise effect. Oh well, it was worth a try.

I'm hoping I get my delivery before too long, but in the meantime, I'll be back on the yoga tomorrow night, and BWCs Friday.

I've entered the mini challenge today, and will do my Side-Step Test tomorrow night, and again on Saturday. I shall post my results here.

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

I agree about Billy Blanks! LOL We have his book camp series of DVD's and I could NEVER finish one. I think you are doing great in going to yogo until you get your bike part. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Human Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2| WIS: 4 | CHA: 2

I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven't. -Lucille Ball

My Blogger / Twitter / DailyMile / MyFitnessPal / 2012 Goals

Update for 21/6:

I thought I would test myself both for the physical mini challenge, and see how my goal efforts are going so far.

So I tried the side-step test, which was much more difficult than I thought it would be - I really struggled with the rhythm of the exercise & my balance (looked like some drunk pogo-er :drunk:). I managed 41 in 60 seconds, which classes as fair in the table. I'm happy with that as a starting point.

From there, I managed 6 chin-ups in a single set, so I am confident that I will be able to reach 10 before the challenge is complete - I'm slightly intrigued to how many I can do in 5 more weeks!

I attempted my one leg squats, which I had never tried before. I managed 10 on each leg, but my form is poor (only just parallel) & I'm desperately hanging on to my support post for dear life! I am aiming to improve my form throughout, and rely at lot less on a post - maybe progress to balancing solo.

After pushing myself, I treated was treated to a nice "salutation to the sun" yoga session to give me a real good stretch! :glee:

I'm surprised with my current progress toward my goals, but I have no idea how I will (eventually) do with distance on the old bike.

Today's update

Today was back to BW circuits, (with another side-step agility test as a warmup... still on 41) and I was really pleased to be able to complete all 3 with single sets. I've still got room to improve on my pull-ups & chin-ups, as I'm still having to add reverses into the sets. My progress is detailed as follows:

©ircuit1: All sets (inc. pull/chin :) ) completed in single sets with good form - 04:26

C2: Good form on all except pullups (2+1R) and chinups (2+1R) - 05:35

C3: Good form again, ex. pull (1+2R) & chin (1+2R) - 06:20

Total Time = 16:21

That's 84 seconds off my previous - Proper chuffed with that! (I know I saved a large chunk of time not resting between sets whilst panting like a maniac, but still...)

and now, IT'S THE WEEKEND!! :triumphant: - a well deserved break ahead me thinks (except for a retest on my side-steps on Sunday as I'd like to push for 42 to earn my +1DEX)

oh, before I forget, for my mental mini challenge, I am booking my exam on Monday (payday) as I have to pay upfront and claim it back - but it's written down now, so will happen, guaranteed.

Have a good weekend everyone

(I'm putting results in a table here, so I can waffle a lot less next time!!)

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

drunk pogo-er :drunk:).

Lol

oh, before I forget, for my mental mini challenge, I am booking my exam on Monday (payday) as I have to pay upfront and claim it back - but it's written down now, so will happen, guaranteed.

That definitely sounds like a plan, will be checking up to make sure you do :)

:) Told you I was addicted LOL :)

Level 3 Half Dwarf Adventurer

STR-6.5 / DEX-4 / STA-6.75 / CON-13 / WIS-7.5/ CHA-4

Week 1 mini challenge +1 WIS

Start Weight - 212lbs (Feb 2012)

Current Weight - 185.8lbs

Goal Weight - 150lbs

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new" Albert Einstein

You are doing amazing on your fitness! I can't even imagine doing 1 legged squats at this point so go you! Good luck with your test. Have a great week 2.

I must admit that I surprised myself with my 1leg squats as they were my 1st ever attempt - For all I get bored of full squats, they must definitely be working!

My exam is now booked :) , although it's not until August 10th. This should give me plenty of time time to study for it, without interfering with my exercise & other goals. Thanks for your comments!

That definitely sounds like a plan, will be checking up to make sure you do :)

:) Told you I was addicted LOL :)

He he, no checking necessary (this time...) :friendly_wink:

Last night's workout was substituted for a 2h 45m gardening session - all front hedges are now strimmed neat & all cuttings are collected up. Had to make the most of a sunny evening in UK, it doesn't happen often. When finished, I felt more worn out than with BW circuits, so I don't feel I fell too short of the mark!

Tonight, I'm getting the bike out!! :eagerness: New part arrived, and is fitted, so will be officially tested this evening.

I'll update later (or tomorrow) with results.

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Awesome job! And it always feels good to work outside! enjoy your bike ride too!

Angelrock53

Newby Adventurer

STR: 1 DEX: 1 STA: 2 CON: 4 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

“It takes courage...to endure the sharp pains of self discovery rather than choose to take the dull pain of unconsciousness that would last the rest of our lives.â€

~ Marianne Williamson

Glad you booked your course. Good luck with your bike ride - hope the British weather holds out for you!

Level 3 Half Dwarf Adventurer

STR-6.5 / DEX-4 / STA-6.75 / CON-13 / WIS-7.5/ CHA-4

Week 1 mini challenge +1 WIS

Start Weight - 212lbs (Feb 2012)

Current Weight - 185.8lbs

Goal Weight - 150lbs

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new" Albert Einstein

Thanks for the good wishes regarding the bike ride yesterday, it went better than I expected with both the weather & the actual cycling (although I've a slightly sore rear today... :))

I clocked up 4 miles in 26:39, which I am really happy with. I've also found a massive hill up a hidden dirt track, which I wasn't expecting! Luckily there was no-one around to see me run out of momentum & gracefully topple sideways into an overgrown embankment!! It was a 'Get up - Dash to top of hill with bike - Jump back on - Pretend nothing happened' kind of moment...

Tonight was BW circuits again, and I set a new fastest circuit of 4:24, although overall I totalled 16:35 - 14 seconds slower than previous. However, I am OK with that as my squats and lunges were tougher following yesterday's cycling. I've managed the same amount of pull-ups & chin ups as previous (with the combination of proper form and reverse), so I think I need to push myself further on Friday.

I'm keeping full details of my BW & cycling results on a Google docs spreadsheet here (& also linked in my signature)

I'm not yet signed up to the new weekly challenge, but I will do so tomorrow. My OH tells me it's 20 mins exercise on top of what is already planned - EEK! Erm, no, I mean "Bring it on" !!

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

I've made a small start towards the new mini challenge by doing 20 squats in my lunch break (1 down, 14 to go...). I shall be adding more exercises to the end of my BW circuit tonight in an attempt to get over half way, which will leave only a couple of mins worth for Sat, Sun & Mon. RAWR indeed!

(Apologies to my OH, she's did tell me that it was 15 mins of exercise for the mini-challenge not the 20 I'd been sweating about!)

Following yesterday's bike ride, I impressed that I don't feel as achey today as I did Wednesday (I wonder if it has anything to do with not falling off). The good old UK weather didn't disappoint in being reliably unpredictable - thunder storms & torential rain all day, followed by a georgueus summer evening! I donned shorts & t-shirt, I headed out on a different route to avoid any muddy off road fiascos.

I managed to knock out tracked 4.07 miles in 25m:54s, which is an improvement on my average speed from 9.0 mph to 9.4 - However I'll get a better comparison once I've duplicated one of my routes though! (Full details in my signature link)

I had a realisation last night that I'm doing squats, lunges & jump-ups on M, W & F, whilst doing a lot of leg work on the bike Tu & Th - which doesn't allow me any rest days on my thigh muscles during the week. Depending on how my leg work feels tonight, I may have to adjust my BW curcuits to swing the balance toward more upper body work (knee raises?, side planks?, etc). I'm open to suggestions & if anyone has any other alternatives, I'd love to hear them!

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Great work! Glad the weather isn't holding you back ;) As for the upper body or core? Planks, push-ups, upper body weights? Depending on how fast, hard, hilly you bike, your legs might actually be getting a good stretch on you bike rides after all the squats and lunges.

SquinkyPheebs

Elf Adventurer

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 2 WIS: 3 CHA: 1

"There is something morbidly fascinating about flying into an uncharted tunnel at reckless speeds with only the words of a kleptomaniac dwarf for what lay at the other end" -Artemis Fowl

Earned: +1 DEX, +1 WIS, +1 STR

WARNING - potential lengthy update ahead!!

Firstly, Friday's BW circuits

I realised that I had been going full on into my BW circuits, without a break, and burning out towards to end. So, I added a 60 second break between my circuits to see if it would improve my endurance, whilst knowing that it would extend my overall workout time. I was very surprise to see that despite adding the extra 2 mins, my overall time was only extended by 23 seconds!! Apparently, I had managed to complete my 2nd & 3rd circuits in record time - I'm definitely keeping the breaks in place from now on:

C1 - 00:04:35

C2 - 00:04:57

C3 - 00:05:26

(Full results in signature link)

Immediately after my BW circuits, I attempted to work toward the mini challenge #2 I managed a 30s wall squat (ouch), followed by 20 squats, 20 lunges & a 1 minute plank, before giving in to the calling of a relaxing cool down!! Adding those to the 60sec acquired earlier totalled 4.5/15 mins.

Weekend

I had both kids to all to myself this weekend as my Lady Wife was enjoying a weekend away with old Uni friends. Unfortunately, the weather decided we would be staying indoors. Enjoyed the quality time, but didn't attempt any further challenge #2 until Sunday evening. I managed 20 press-ups & another 1 min plank; 6.5/15 (getting there...)

Today

Since going Paleo/Primal in January, I have lost my excess fat, and built some muscle, but now I am underweight. From today, I am working from Steve's Rebel Strength Guide : Operation Bulk Up in an attempt to work toward the body shape I would like. Without giving too much of the guide content away, it advises how to get the extra calories (of the right type) into my diet. I need to up my calories to 3100+ in order to increase my weight!!! To accompany the eating plan, I will be switching from the BW circuits detailed above, and onto the Body Weight Brigade workout included in the Rebel Strength Guide, to ensure I'm gaining muscle and not just a gut...

I must add that my challenge goals remain the same:

Perform 10 1 leg squats (either leg)

Perform 10 chin ups in a single set

Cycle 5 miles in 30 minutes

After day 1, I have somehow managed to consume 3154 calories, which was more fun (& much more food) than I thought it would be!! However, since getting home from work, I have had a splitting headache and felt it unwise to workout :( I'm not sure if it's the extra intake, or the balance of foods to water, or just one of those things. To swing the balance, I shall do my (new) BW exercises Tues, Thur & Sat, and still aim to go out cycling on Wed & Fri.

Great work! Glad the weather isn't holding you back ;) As for the upper body or core? Planks, push-ups, upper body weights? Depending on how fast, hard, hilly you bike, your legs might actually be getting a good stretch on you bike rides after all the squats and lunges.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly look to using weights. My cycle route(s) are a good variety of fast/slow and hilly and my legs didn't feel too bad Friday after all week workout & the weekend off helped too! Means I don't escape squats just yet ;)

For anyone still reading - thanks for bearing with me!!

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Quick update - I've managed another 2 mins of challenge #2 on lunch break (lunges & squats). Now I'm at 8.5/15. Will have to push for the rest tonight (need to get that +1...) :)

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Oops - 6 days since last update...

Beginning of week 4 = half way through challenge, so time for an update:

Perform 10 1 leg squats (either leg) (STR +2, DEX +1)

I've not retried these again yet, but my legs are feeling tons stronger from my BW lunges & squats. I will retry my 1 leg squats this week and report back.

Perform 10 chinups in a single set (STR +3)

I'm slowly getting there with this. I've doubled up from barely 2 chin ups to 4 (and a half - why don't these ever count
:)
). I'm seeing good results with chin ups as they are part of my current workout. I'll update with progress as & when.

Cycle 5 miles in 30 minutes (STA +2, CON +2)

I've not been out on my bike this week, mainly due to the copious amounts of rain twinned with my distinct lack of mud guards...! However, my current stats for cycling stand at 4 mile in 25m:54s. It will be a struggle to knock out another mile within 30 mins, although my loop is very hilly. I might choose a different track to time trial 5 miles...

Life Goal - Tile kitchen

Number of tiles stuck to wall so far =
:hopelessness:
However, I have marked out where my tiles should go (more or less) and I have worked out where I'm lining up with. I
really
want to make a start this week on an off night.

OK, one week on from starting to 'bulk up' and I've consistently managed 3000+ calories, although on a couple of occasions, I have had to resort to a late night, calorie packed, smoothie to ensure I hit the target. I'll weigh in tonight & see what difference it has made so far :)

My enrolment in the body weight brigade has been very challenging, but good fun nonetheless (really? fun??). I missed last Wednesdays workout due to complications, so I'm now trying to catch up by exercising last night, instead of having all weekend off.

I have seen some improvement in my number of reps, and managing PRs (in a single set) as follows:

Push Ups:

Chin Ups:

Squats:

Lunges:

Planks:
75 s

Side planks:
52 s

I'm liking my upper arms for the first time, ever! Measurements are on the cards for tonight too, so I'm looking forward to this evening!!

Mini Challenge #2 - FAIL :(

I literally ran out of steam with this one, & I left too much until too late. I managed 8.5/15 mins, and was aiming to add more after completing my BW Brigade workout on Tues 3rd, but I was done in after setting my benchmark limits on a shiny new workout.

(however...)

Mini Challenge #3 - RAWR!! (aka win!) :D

I completed this one yesterday, with a lovely afternoon out with the family to a nearby forest park. We picked a trail (4.8 km) and successfully made our way around it. My 2yr old daughter enjoyed squelching through the mud, whilst my 5yr old son was on his bike (+ stabilisers/training wheels). Therefore, at least 75% of the trail was spent pushing my son along on his bike, whilst we very slowly enjoyed the scenery & views!

After the walk, and to ensure I didn't miss the 0.2 km extra, I joined my son in playing on & around the adventure park area (including monkey bars)! A very good, albeit slightly muddy, afternoon had by all.

Bring on the mystery Stat Point!!

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Life Goal - Tile kitchen

Number of tiles stuck to wall so far = 0 :hopelessness: However, I have marked out where my tiles should go (more or less) and I have worked out where I'm lining up with. I really want to make a start this week on an off night.

I'd say you're 25% there - marking the tiles seems like an integral part of laying the tiles :) Good luck with the rest of it too.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I'd say you're 25% there - marking the tiles seems like an integral part of laying the tiles :) Good luck with the rest of it too.

Haha, I'll go with that & be a bit more optimistic. Thank you! That said, I'm away for the weekend, and off on holiday from next Friday for a week - So, it'll be next week or never for completing the tiling before the challenge is up! (It may roll over into next challenge...)

As for being away for a week, I'm not going to back out of my challenge goals; the advantage of BW workouts is that where ever I lay my hat, that's my Gym!!:)

I successfully completed this week's Sidekick challenge with my OH last night. We were planning on training on Wednesday night, but ended up grabbing gardening tools and dashing out into the evening sun because it hadn't rained for the whole day!! Too good an opportunity to miss out on, especially as the lawn (& weeds) had erupted following several weeks of rain (It's raining again as I type...).

Last night's training was a success - we both did BW workouts, with 2 mins rest between sets. We managed to stagger our sets, so one of use would be training, while the other was helping watch form, and encourage a extra few reps, before swapping over. We both achieved new PB in most exercises (WOOT!), so I am happy to repeat the experience, to watch us get more awesome together!!

I managed PBs as follows:

Chin Ups: 5 :emmersed: (Still a way off 10, but getting there!)

Extended Plank by 9 secs over 3 sets (no PB per set, but better overall)

& I've levelled up from normal lunges to squat/lunge combos

I'll update Monday with details of what exercise I was able to throw together whilst away.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Well the weekend was a great get-away - lots of quality time with the family, lots of walking & fresh air, and lots of fun had by all!

Due to circumstance & lack of access to a fridge, I was slightly less primal than normal (potatoes & thick gravy, cheese cake, other things with too much sugar in, etc). Tried to swing the balance on Sunday morning with an all-you-can-eat cooked breakfast; tons of bacon(6+ rashers :)) & scrambled egg is an excellent way of starting the day - didn't get too hungry until I was safely back in the confides of my own kitchen!

Walked for over 3 hours both days, both around Chester Zoo, and then in & around the Trafford Centre (didn't attempt to track distance due to rubbish phone battery!).

I was feeling it in my legs by end of day Sunday, but that didn't stop me & chattyfox combining forces again as the unstoppable training duo!! :) (oh, hello shiny new stat point!!)

More PBs as follows:

Push Ups:

Side planks:
s (on my last set too, not sure how...)

Squats:

Heading home now & will be exercising again tonight (hoping for 6 pull ups :encouragement:)

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

So, it's gone midnight, & I'm on call, (waiting for a call back from a user at work) so I may as well update on this last week whilst getting paid! :)

Tuesday nights workout was good, I managed to up my close-hand push ups from 6 to 8, and a total of 22 across my sets. I managed to find an 80 second plank from somewhere too...

As for my 6 pull ups... I still only managed 5 - Why don't those 3/4 reps never count?!

I did manage an extra 1 pull up in total, so overall, I'm happy that things are moving in the right direction (especially as I was feeling worn out & tired before starting).

Tonight's (last nights/Thurs) workout was tough. I was feeling more worn out than Tuesday & struggled to get through 15 push ups in my warmup. I did acheive a PB in my body weight squats (up from 43 to 46 in a single set)

I really had to push hard for the whole workout, and I wasn't recovering as much between sets. Therefore, I'm really happy to have managed to increase each exercises total reps(across all sets), except for my side-planks, because I did normal planks instead (I'm a plank!). My lady wife has worked out why we're both exhausted - It's sleep deprivation caused by our youngest child.

(So much for an early night tonight!! ;))

Packing up for our holiday tomorrow, and not sure what mobile phone signal will be like. Hopefully it will be sufficient for a couple of updates whilst away. If not there'll be a run down on my return of alternate workouts and action packed days out (& the weather looks to be finally drying out - fingers crossed!)

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Have a good weekend!

Good work on the exercises. Youre definitely improving. I'm sure the tiling will happen sometime soon ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines