Look sharp, stand straight!

Ghost here,

We are all members of the Rebellion and proud of it. So why should we not look the part?

Why don't all Rebels strut around drawn up to full height, chin up, ready to take on the world?

Because as Nerds, we often spend alot of our time at desk jobs, playing videogames, reading books.

And think what happens during these activities, look at your posture.

If you are anything like me, then your answer is, Not Good. You might see you have become a hunchback, your neck is craning out like, well, a crane.

When people see a rebel, they should see a man (or woman!) standing like royalty, almost emitting an aura of grace and power. (I exaggerate but you get the picture)

But if we manage to destroy our posture, why can't we rebuild it?

That is why on this thread I will be putting up what I have gathered on the subject of posture.

Feel free to put in your knowledge too, remember, For the Rebellion!

I thought this was quite fitting.

http://www.coreperformance.com/daily/one-small-change/the-perfect-posture-experiment.html

Whenever posture comes up, I always hear to pretend you have a string attached to the top of your head and to allow it to pull you upright. The visualization seems to work better for me than just saying to myself "stand up straight."

I also like the tape method mentioned in the article. Might have to try that one sometime.

I recently read something about looking confident (Men's Journal???? maybe... can't remember) and the quote was something along the lines of think of shoving your shoulder blades into your back pockets. Exuding confidence gets a great response from others.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

As I was reading this, I became aware of the fact that I was sitting like a sketzi from The Dark Crystal. I had to correct that really quick.

I always laugh at people who spend forever trying to find ways to work their abs, because if you have good posture, which means standing straight and keeping your abs tight, then pretty much every movement you make will use your abs.

I try to walk with my back straight, but I sit horribly, unless I'm reading, in which case my posture is always perfect and I look like a weirdo. (I'm not sure why I only sit that way while reading. What part of my brain that's immersed in the book is thinking about my posture?)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gnome Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | CHA: 3 | WIS: 4

Fitocracy | ePaleoCookbooks.net | Blog | Twitter

I need to remember to do this! I sit with great posture (according to my friends) but I don't really notice what I do while walking. I like this post, especially with the whole "We're rebels and proud of it!"

I heard that when things were painful for her, she’d cover her ears with headphones and escape to the world of music. I tried it too. It was like everything was blown away. The vocals screamed for me. They grieved for me. The ones who put on the act of common sense were wrong. Those who cried were right. We, the lonely were more human. They screamed at the absurd, beat it down, and destroyed it. They saved me.Iwasawa Masami (Angel Beats!) 

Race: OtakuClass: AssassinWeight: 129-Ish lbs.Theme Song: I'm ALIVE! -BeccaSTR: 2DEX: 3STA: 2CON: 3WIS: 4CHA: 3

Good timing! Posture is part of my challenge, so thanks for the resources! I've set a timer to go off every so often and am keeping track of how many times I am caught with good/bad posture. Just the "threat" of a reminder has helped me remember to sit/stand tall so far.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

posture is one thing I have going for me - I've actually made drastic changes to every visible thing about me - hair cut and colour, weight, style, glasses - and been recognised after years apart from friends solely because of my posture ^__^

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg