Warriors I need your help!

OK, I am getting back into a little bit of weight training, to add to bodyweight/TRX and kettlebell/sandbags.

Basically, I can hit the University gym two times a week.

Bad news is, they don't have a free barbell (only a SZ-shaped one, don't ask me what it is called in English..err... curl barbell?)

So I need to adapt my program a bit and hope for some help from you.

My old warrior workout:

2 day split, 2 variations on each day

Variations 1

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

LegsChestLeg Curl, sitting (machine)Benchpress barbellLeg Press (machine)Incline Bench PressLeg extension (machine)Butterfly dumbbell, long armedChestShouldersBench Press barbell Standing RowsButterfly bent armSide liftsBackFront LiftsPullups with machine TricepsRowing machine pulls, narrow gripDips (machine assisted)Lower backTriceps SkullcrushersReverse ButterflyRope PullBicepsNeckScott Curls Cable Barbell PressBarbell CurlsCable Pull

[/TABLE]

Urghs... I will spare you variant 2 here, as this will be more about future exercise than past one, also because the goal is a different one.

So.. here are the limitations I am facing

No straight Barbell , 30-40 minutes training, 2 day split, Machines and Cable Pulls / free weights are seperated rooms (on different levels)

So I am shooting for a no-machines workout

Right now, I am coming up with this:

V1 Day 1: Legs, Back, Biceps

V1 Day 2: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Neck

V1 Day 1: Legs, Triceps, Biceps

V1 Day 2: Chest, Back, Shoulders

V1

Day 1Day 2LegsChestSquats using dumbbellDumbbell Butterfly Long ArmStationary LungeDumbbell incline Bench pressToe raises[/TD]

[TD]Back

ShouldersCable PullLateral RaiseStanding RowsFront RaisePull UpShrugsBicepsTricepsScott Curl w/cableSkull Crushers Curl BarbellHammer CurlsRope Pull

[/TABLE]

V2

LegsChestLeg PressDumbbell PressReverse LungeDumbbell Butterfly, Bent ArmsTricepsBackDipsCable PullRope PullWide RowBicepsShouldersPreacher CurlsShoulder PressCurl barbell..err.curlsLateral Raise

[/TABLE]

AARGH!

Right now, these plans are a mess!

Help?

::zielperson::

That's quite complicated. I recommend this:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

I've increased my Squat, Bench Press, Leg Press, Overhead Press, and Deadlift by over 30lbs in the last 6 weeks. And I look better than I have in 5 years. And it's much easier to remember.

Get Strong One Day At A Time.
Level 2 Human Warrior (Multiclassing into Assassin)- STR 5, STA 2, CON 3.5, DEX 2, WIS 6 [on a good day...], CHA 5.5

Challenge 4/30/2012; +9 Points

Current Challenge: Captain America and Wolverine are Multiclass Warrior/Assassins
"It is easier to find men who are willing to die than those willing to endure pain with patience."-- Gaius Julius Caesar

Brittanis Dark Arthurian Adventure-- Come to Brittanis. Live the Legend. 

How strong are you? Are you strong enough to need/benefit from a 2 day split? Do you have the muscle stamina to do that many exercises in a productive manner? Which exercises are primary exercises and which are assistance exercises?

Most will suggest a 5x5 full body program, because it is best for people who aren't yet strong. Doing lots and lots of exercises, especially without a primary exercise/assistance exercise emphasis, is really only useful if you've built a very large work capacity.

Since you are coming from bodyweight and kettlebells, it is possible that you are much stronger than the average person that asks this question (who are almost always looking at doing dumb plans totally inappropriate for them).

Philosophically you are much better off training movements than muscles. When you look at movements there are upper body push and pull in the vertical and horizontal plane, and in the lower body you have jumping movements (vertical) and running movements (horizontal). Plus you have core stability and core movement.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Got to 5 lifts and forgot what body parts we were focusing on. You don't need to over complicate things. Pick 3 or 4 lifts and do them so heavy or so intensely that you don't have the energy to do 8 different lifts.

Theactionpoint has linked Wendlers 5/3/1 an AMAZING program for building real strength, the longer you stay on that program the better. Wendler is a brilliant lifter and practices what he preaches.

You wouldn't need to do that many lifts unless you are eating 5,000 calories, or using steroids.

----

Example: This morning I did Dead-lifts, planks, and Glute-ham raises. All these are muscle groups that are synergetic (they work together), with the end result a stronger dead-lift.

Warrior LVL 3

STR: 16.75 DEX: 4 STA: 4 CON: 2 WIS: 8 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Squat: 380

Front Squat: 300

Bench: 265

Overhead Press: 155

Deadlift: 455

Clean & Jerk: 225

Snatch: 155

To answer some questions:

I have done this program before, I know I can do it productively.

I am asking for a 2-day split because I will train with weights 2 days a week.

The Wendler program calls for 3-5 workouts a week, so no dice here.

Another reason for the 2 day split is simple time restraints.

I see now that I will have to simplify much, much more.

Why only 2 days? I don't have time MAKE TIME!

Also what are your goals, how long have you been lifting, any sort of specialization (like oly lifts, powerlifting, marathon, crossfit, body building etc)

Warrior LVL 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Interestingly enough this was in today's post:

Focus on compound movements. We’re not doing isolation movements like calf raises, leg raises or bicep curl machines. Instead, we’re going to focus on compound movements like squats, dead-lifts, overhead presses, pull ups, chin ups, push ups and dips. THAT’S IT.

Your routine has about 10 isolating lifting, unless you are benching around 1.5x, squatting 2x, and dead-lifting 2.5x body weight you don't really need isolation THAT badly even if you are going for a body building card. I've used isolation lifts but it is very situational, such as: I couldn't lock out 225 on bench so I did some extra tricep work at the end of each bench day, after a few weeks I locked out a new PR, once I felt like my triceps were back to the same level as the rest of my bench muscles I dropped the isolation.

Can you get results with your current routine, yes. Could your routine be better, definitely.

Warrior LVL 3

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Why only 2 days? I don't have time MAKE TIME!

Also what are your goals, how long have you been lifting, any sort of specialization (like oly lifts, powerlifting, marathon, crossfit, body building etc)

I don't think it's fair to just demand he make time. If he can't make extra days, hes just got to do what he can with what he's got, which is what he's trying to do. Though, if you've only got 2 days, you could hit the whole body twice, rather than each body part once ... I know what I'd rather do.

zielperson, you can get a hell of a workout in, hitting your whole body even without access to a BB. I agree with the other posters, reduce your exercises and focus on compounds for the main lifts going with high intensity, then throw in some accessory at the end, if you've got time.

Also, you could totally do 5/3/1, or Texas or other routines, just spread the workouts out over aditional weeks. If it calls for 3 workouts a week, and you can only do 2, then you do the first 2 this week, and the third on the first workout next week. Progress will be made.

Alright... let me answer some things.

The above routine was an actual bodybuilding routine I did a few years back. Yes, there is a lot of isolation movements there, which was what I needed at the time.

I know I need and I want to change it, this is why I came here.

@Trad_Climb

... your comment actually took me aback and yes, made me a bit angry, which was why I did not reply yesterday evening.

It comes down to this:

I work a 9-5 as manager in IT, I have a family, I also freelance (3 projects running currently), and I started a professional training program that will take another 5 months to complete.

I am currently trying to fit in exercise in that schedule. Not easy? You bet.

I am trying to do 3 Kettlebell/Sandbag/TRX(bodyweight) routines per week at home, after the little one has gone to sleep and before I do my freelancing / learning.

The two times weight training are two lunch breaks I sacrifice to get into our university's gym. The two days are Tuesday and Thursday, simply because the gym is absolutely packed Mon-Wed-Fri.

(Traditional exercise days, gotta love the herd)

Asking me to make time? That is exactly what I am doing!

I simply don't have the time to do the traditional 1.5 hours gym visit anymore. And (see above) there is no way to MAKE that time. However much I would love to extend my day to 28 hours, it won't happen.

<deep breath>

So I might have been a bit more detailed with my motivation / goals for this.

My main training is the bodyweight / kettlebell / sandbag training.

The weight training is supplementary for vanity and nostalgia reasons (the soft clink of plates, etc..)

The restriction to dumbbells and machines is due to the gym's equipment, not a dumb idea of my own.

Right now, I am stumped.

Hey zielperson, I get your frustration, like I said above, sometimes it just isn't possible to make more time, so you make do with what you can, like you are.

Do you have objections to the suggestions of dropping the isolation work and doing to full body compound centric workouts? You could totally do these with DBs, and even the EZ bar (I think you called in an SZ bar ... if I'm thinking of the same peice of equipment).

If you worked on a modified version of SS or SL to use DBs, you could hit 3 compounds heavy each day. Just a leg movement (squat/dead), a push movement (bench/OHP), and a pull movement (DB rows/(was gonna say pull ups here, but you're already doing BW)). You get the idea. Hit them 5x5 as heavy as you can. Squats might be limited though, maybe sub in the leg press, or go for one leg split squats?

If time is limited like in your case, it makes sense to me to focus on heavy fundamentals. What do you think?

You can't deadlift with dumbells. Try GHR.

Sure you can. If you're too strong for whatever DB's are available switch to single legs. If that gets too easy, find a new place to workout.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Sorry for being an elitist, Just restating what has been said in the home page posts. "Don't have time? make time!" -Steve. I understand that sometimes its a matter of just waking up at the crack on dawn and lifting, and sometimes its a matter of "I'm already working at my max etc" Don't get offended or sad if I recommend you try harder when you haven't told us why you only go twice because of an already full schedule.

Like others have said for your routine you could easily drop the isolation, and do heavy compounds with a 5x5 scheme. For dead-lifts you CAN use dumbbells, just nail the form or use a GHR, Roman Chair, and Farmers Walks combo.

Warrior LVL 3

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler