elemental druid challenge

abraki

hi.

class: druid

race: jotun aka troll (human-sized but scary-looking, really the distinction is more ideological)

im male, 29, 6'0 and about 175lb. i dont have a scale and im not concerned about my weit, so im not using this as a standard. id be happy to gain a bit, as long as its a gain from training and not from flabbing. i look fine and can run etc, i just want to get better.

im firmly a druid, or maybe a wussy ranger or monk. my overall goal is brain health: if i mite borrow from shinzen young, the 3 skills of mental concentration, sensory clarity, and emotional equanimity. my goals for the game as a whole is to get some assassin and monk levels.

i cooked up my challenge a few days ago, and im fitting it into this websites program because its easy to do so! it is based on a four-element structure of personality, with each element training one part of my life.

here are my goals for the month. the first element involves mental fitness.

fire: the intuitive or inspired mind: the magical aspect: my challenge is to practice trataka with a candle for 10 minutes each day. thats 280 minutes=nearly 5 hours in total.

the next is physical fitness.

water: the body and emotions: the empathic aspect: my challenge for this month is merely to choose and join a dojo to practice some kind of aerobic martial art. easy enuf-- the challenge is choosing something i can stick with the rest of the year!

extras: to maintain basic fitness, i will use a brief regimen of yoga, qi gong, and bodyweit strength training. this will consist of 3 reps of yi xiao jin jing every morning, at least 20 mins of yoga each day, follow the 100 pushups program based on my initial test of >11 pushups (3 days per week), and walk somewhere every day (thats further than the subway station). i will expand this fitness part (in 6 weeks, i guess), but for now im keeping it simple to get used to keeping a routine and a log.

next is literate fitness, education i suppose.

air: the intellectual mind: the literate aspect: my challenge is to practice my rusty chinese skills by studying the dao de jing, translating 2 chapters each week, for a total of 8.

and finally, a life goal.

earth: the senses and material world: the practical aspect: my challenge is to register and begin a particular distance ed course in electronics. my goal for the year is to build an electroencephalograph, so the first step is to expand my currently minimal knowledge of electronic hardware. since registering in the course involves procuring funding and navigating college bureaucracy, i think just getting started is enuf for 4 weeks. if its easier than expected, my goal will be to complete one unit per week, as the course intends.

december 28th will be day 1.

good luck to all who take up challenges this month. i look forward to sharing a virtual hi-5 with as many of you as possible.

on the move...probly not here, or where it says i am over <there

Okay, that is too funny. I was just pondering how to apply fitness to the four elements a few days ago. And here you did it! Nice, though I woulda put strength training under fire. I mean, isn't that OBVIOUS. :P

Good to meet you, Abraki, and good luck with your goals!

Druid Power!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

fire is definitely energy of both the physical and mental variety. a lot of the training ive done involves swinging staffs around. wooden rods are the tarot suit corresponding to fire, so strength training based on momentum rather than weit wud be fire.

this structure is based on my own life, not meant to be a general guideline. if i was going to do such a thing, it wud be as follows.

fire: determination, discipline, cardio

water: physical changes like weit loss, flexibility, freedom of movement

air: removing toxins, using science to design your routine

earth: strength/bulk training (lifting heavy objects), nutrition

clearly you disagree. i think this is a perfect discussion for druids...want to take it to another thread?

Would trataka require not wearing contacts?

i dont think so. it basically just means staring. try staring at something and see how you like it. i wear glasses. but sometimes its good to exercise your eyes without corrective lenses. otherwise your prescription will keep getting worse.

if you are concerned about dryness, thats a matter of personal choice. if its uncomfortable, dont do it! my university makes chemistry students sine a waiver to wear contacts, because fumes can get between the lens and the cornea and damage both. if you get too close to the candle flame, i suppose this is a possibility.

today i took a picture of myself (well, of the front of my torso). then i completed my physical fitness routine: qigong, day 1 of 100 pushups (hard!), 20 mins of freestyle yoga, and 10 mins of candle staring. i will walk to a show later. day 1 B+ (slept in and didnt get much else done).

learning to breathe fire is more of a long-term goal. too much capcom street fighter as a kid (yoga flame!). actually, litening bolts from my fingers wud be better. too much star wars, too. dont mention braveheart. ;)

today i did a lot of walking, and i attended a full yoga class. no pushups on the schedule today. i sent off a bunch of emails trawling for chinese conversation partners. i didnt get much else done because i have a friend staying from out of town. poor excuse, i know. i did make a nice tofu/veggie stirfry with quinoa for dinner. im off to bed now, but im gonna do my qigong and trataka first. i really shud do those in the morning, so i will endeavor to get it done early in the future. day 2 B- because im playing catchup at at midnite, but i give myself credit for the yoga class.

trataka is really blowing my mind! last nite, i experienced particularly intense visuals when i closed my eyes.

today i did my fitness routine in the morning. it was a bit annoying because it delayed the time i was able to go out. but tomorrow there will be no pushups, so it will be a bit faster. pushups are hard! im really having trouble using both my arms equally.

im making progress on finding some conversation partners to practice chinese, but apart from that, im not working on my long-term goals yet. tomorrow i will do some online research on martial arts schools available here. what i did do today was visit the music store to buy strings, a bow, and a reed to fix the instruments i recently retrieved from my moms house. it mite be hard not to get distracted by music for a while, but as long as i keep up my daily exercise i will feel ok. day 3 A for finding conversation partners, getting my routine done in the morning, sticking with the pain of pushups, and how amazing i feel about trataka. i mite have to start my own website for wizard training (maybe i will use a skill system based on the chakras).

Hi Abraki! How's it going? Having 1 side that is stronger than the other is a common problem. It's one of the reasons why strength training is so important - it fixes imbalances like that before they mess you up!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

hey folks. i didnt give up on my challenge, i just lost internet access. well, ok, i did give up on most of it.

i still do trataka (not every day). it sounds dramatic to say it changed my life, but it has become one of my favourite forms of meditation. it feels like a big deal to find a new thing that has such heft to it. the best part was passing it on. i had a circle of, i think, 7 ppl staring at a candle in silence for 10 minutes; it was a fkn trip, man!

i totally failed on the pushups. i cudnt complete week one, so i repeated it. after that, i kind of petered out. its happened before. once in a while, i feel like doing pushups, but doing them because i have to is *so* easy to forget. i did well on the walking (until it turned into biking), and yoga and qi gong happen about as frequently as they did before i came to this site (uh, once in a while-- when i feel like i need it).

i changed the chinese goals: i met some chinese conversation partners and practiced my oral skills. im far from them by now, so i will probly study my dao de jing again. i think ive only done 1 chapter translation.

im still not really online...i came back because im trying to eat paleo (due to restrictions on kitchen space, like no oven, and things like that). its going well so far. i got some decent meat at publix, tho not grass-fed. i eat a lot of onions and yams and apples and sunflower seeds. i cheat with peanut butter (natural/no sugar of course--i havent bott sugar-added food as a routine for about 7 years; i wont even buy juice if it contains 'natural flavours'). i didnt expect to miss salt most of all-- i think about seaweed a lot. am i allowed to eat cabbage? i thot i read somewhere that brassicas were out.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines