• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Loren Wade

The Official Whole30/Whole9 Life Support Thread

Welcome! If you've not heard of Whole 30 or Whole 9 before, please check out the first link below.

This thread has been created to be a support team for anyone doing the Whole 30 Challenge or living a Whole 9 life. Feel free to share experiences, ask questions, and post your progress.

If there are any questions I cannot answer or find, Dallas and Melissa (owners of Whole 9) said they'd be happy to help.

Whole 30 and Whole 9 Resources

• Explains everything Whole9, Whole30, and paleo.
Edited by Loren Wade

Whole 30 and Whole 9 FAQ

1. Why isn't X food allowed?
    • Right above this FAQ are a bunch of resources that will answer those questions.

[*]I'm not even a week into Whole 30 and I feel like killing all the things! Why!?

[*]Are there Whole 30 cookbooks?

• Yes! The easiest and most popular is Well Fed.

[*]Why is sugar not allowed? What if it's just honey? Agave? Natural?

[*]I screwed up. Now what?

[*]I'm done with Whole 30, now what?

Edited by Loren Wade

I've made allowances for my lack of paleo during vaca, But I fully intend to finish reading ISWF during the drive and give it a shot when we get back. I'm certain my body will thank me!

Love this. This is pretty much the thought process I try to apply when deciding whether or not to eat unhealthy foods. The nice thing is it provides very clear justification for not eating any of the miscellaneous moderately-palatable-but-quite-unhealthy food that inevitably shows up at work(Incredibly delicious, special, or significant? Not so much). Take a breath or two, let logic intervene, and enjoy the benefits. :)

This is great. I'm eating mostly paleo, but its so easy to slip up in the summer for me. I was thinking of doing the Whole30 next challenge. Plus I'm reading their book right now and its super motivational

Great! I'm in. I'm half-way through reading the book and now I'm mostly eating Paleo.

As soon as I finish the book I'm going to do the Whole30 really strictly, but from what i can see so far this is how I'm going to be eating for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the thread - I'm gonna be back here a lot.

No problem guys. :)

So if I go Whole30, my protein drink has to go. Does any one else go without protein drinks, and what do you eat in its place?

Just go with whole foods. That's the idea. Meat! :)

Tell them I absolutely love their book! It explains the science behind it so clearly. I loved their analogy of processed foods to being on the Las Vegas Strip

I'm currently on Day 7 of my Whole30 journey. I have done bits and pieces (no gluten/dairy, no sugar, etc) of this over the last 8 years since my diagnosis with MS. What I realized lately is that, although my symptoms are minimal, I just wasn't feeling good (and I wasn't eating good whole foods *hand to forehead*). So I went full out, cold turkey and am already feeling better. I found this link - http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/ - which helped me to understand how I have been physically/emotionally feeling in these first few days. Thanks for the support thread, it's exactly what I've been searching for in the forums for the last week!

Seems Melissa and Dallas (owners/authors of Whole 9) found this thread. I received some feedback about it on my twitter! Good stuff. :)

That's awesome. They seem like really nice people.

I knew I'd find it- maybe they're meaning if you can't find NON-commercially raised pork??? Sometimes I get all freaked out about things~

http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

Specifically- If you simply can’t afford “best choice” meat, then follow this strategy. First, stick to meat from ruminants (beef, lamb, elk, bison/buffalo, goat or venison), as they tend to have access to their natural diets for at least a portion of their lives, and have a better omega-6 to omega-3 ratio than either chicken or pork. Second, buy the leanest cuts available, and trim or drain all visible fat before eating. Our main concern with lower quality meat comes from the unhealthy things (antibiotics, hormones, environmental toxins and pro-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids) that “live” in the fat content. Omit most of the fat and you mitigate some of those concerns. Third, consume chicken only without the skin, for the same reason. And finally, avoid ALL pork products, as commercially raised pork has the worst N6:N3 ratio of any animal protein source. (And yes, that means no bacon. Since when is bacon health food, anyway?)

I just printed out all the information I needed in order to do the whole 30. I just have a couple of questions...

Do I avoid pork completely?

My fiancee does most of the cooking at home, and I was looking at the vinegar's he uses to cook and it said on the label it contains sulfites. Is this going to be ok to use for our cooking?

I am planning on starting tomorrow. :D