• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Loren Wade

The Official Whole30/Whole9 Life Support Thread

Oh hey... I'm in on this July 1st! I did a Whole30 (actually Whole29.5 due to stomach flu) in January, but my husband is challenging himself to take on paleo eating starting July 1st, and I figured it would be a good time to do another Whole30, since we've been doing a lot of traveling and eating crappy.

So yeah, I'm throwing my hat in the ring, but also with some experience if anyone has questions or wants recipes or meal planning ideas.

And Lunararya3116, yeah, you can eat pork. It's meat. Conventional pork may not be the most ideal meat, but it's fine on the Whole30... what you don't want are "pork products" the processed bacon and ham and stuff that's had junk added. You want to look for plain ol' porkchops or a pork loin or pork butt for the BBQ.

-jj

Oh hey... I'm in on this July 1st! I did a Whole30 (actually Whole29.5 due to stomach flu) in January, but my husband is challenging himself to take on paleo eating starting July 1st, and I figured it would be a good time to do another Whole30, since we've been doing a lot of traveling and eating crappy.

So yeah, I'm throwing my hat in the ring, but also with some experience if anyone has questions or wants recipes or meal planning ideas.

And Lunararya3116, yeah, you can eat pork. It's meat. Conventional pork may not be the most ideal meat, but it's fine on the Whole30... what you don't want are "pork products" the processed bacon and ham and stuff that's had junk added. You want to look for plain ol' porkchops or a pork loin or pork butt for the BBQ.

-jj

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure, since I am going all in and I am doing this right! :D We don't have a ton of pork but my fiance likes to buy pork butt and make pulled pork. I know he gets organic/grass fed meat so i wanted to make sure.

Also, I keep with fresh side pork (or something like that). Basically it is the bacon cut, but without the preservatives and other nastiness that comes in normal bacon.

I had my first strange Whole 30 dream last night. I dreamed my dad was trying to get me to smoke a cigarette. It was crazy because I haven't smoked in 7 months and he hasn't smoked in over 10 years. I didn't smoke in the dream though, because I really wanted to make it a full year without smoking. It's strange that they say you'll have craving dreams, but mine was about cigarettes not junk food.

I've talked my hubby into reading ISWF! :)

Actually, at first he just asked me for a synopsis of it, and as I was rambling along talking about hormones, etc., he said "just put it on my Nook, I'll read it myself"

Yay!

He's pretty on board with it, though he hates change... and it is change.

I'm actually NOT excited about the food issues I'm going to have on vacation. I know I'm going to want to eat all the things, but I'm dreading how they're going to make me feel :(

Thanks! It really didn't seem like it and I have basically been doing it already but I had some butter (grass fed) and a couple of protein shakes, so for the sake of doing this right I am cutting them out. :D

Thanks! It really didn't seem like it and I have basically been doing it already but I had some butter (grass fed) and a couple of protein shakes, so for the sake of doing this right I am cutting them out. :D

That's how I was before I did my Whole30. And when you go from there, it is a breeze to get through. Just be sure to cook down your butter into ghee and you can still have it.

That's how I was before I did my Whole30. And when you go from there, it is a breeze to get through. Just be sure to cook down your butter into ghee and you can still have it.

We actually already use Ghee for cooking, and I can manage without the butter. :)

You can make your own ghee?! Does the book give a recipe? I've heard people declare it's wonders but when I looked at the price:eek-new: I'd like to give making it a try.

You can make your own ghee?! Does the book give a recipe? I've heard people declare it's wonders but when I looked at the price:eek-new: I'd like to give making it a try.

I posted a link in my comment about making ghee, just click the word "ghee".

It actually was for this site here^

Oh, and I made the garlic flavored ghee (just add smashed garlic cloves when the butter melts, I did around 6 cloves for 1 pound of butter). It was awesome and lasted about 4 days in my family of three. Adds wonderful flavor to fried eggs, and the garlic cloves are good to chew on, though it does have some of the milk solids that you are trying to get out of the butter on it.

I posted a link in my comment about making ghee, just click the word "ghee".

Thanks, I think I can make that. Triple win. I love butter but am lactose intloerant so I can onlu use it sparingly, but sauteeing veggies in ghee..nom nom, my family and I will be very happy.

I have several BBQs to go to over the next week. I'm not worried about eating as there are tons of articles of that. My problem is drinking. Obviously I'm not going to drink during my whole30, but I read on 'the clothes make the girl' that she drank club soda during hers. It doesn't mention it in ISWF. Anyone have opinions, thoughts, concerns?

I have several BBQs to go to over the next week. I'm not worried about eating as there are tons of articles of that. My problem is drinking. Obviously I'm not going to drink during my whole30, but I read on 'the clothes make the girl' that she drank club soda during hers. It doesn't mention it in ISWF. Anyone have opinions, thoughts, concerns?

Club soda is perfectly fine.

OK... starting tomorrow, we're doing this. :-) BBQs and everything (did everyone see the 4th of july menu on the Whole9 blog?).

For party beverages I have a few ideas... either unsweetened iced tea, or san pelligrino/another sparkling water, or kombucha or coconut water. Not bad options, especially if you're only doing water, coffee & tea the rest of the time.

-jj

OK... starting tomorrow, we're doing this. :-) BBQs and everything (did everyone see the 4th of july menu on the Whole9 blog?).

For party beverages I have a few ideas... either unsweetened iced tea, or san pelligrino/another sparkling water, or kombucha or coconut water. Not bad options, especially if you're only doing water, coffee & tea the rest of the time.

-jj

I LOVE San Pellegrino, chilled with some ice and some lime/lemon juice. Delicious :D

Does It Starts With Food contain a lot of color graphs and pictures? Trying to decide whether or not I should buy the hardcover or Kindle version.