• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Loren Wade

The Official Whole30/Whole9 Life Support Thread

I'm thinking about giving a whole 30 a go in the near future, but I have what is probably a dumb question for people who have done it before.  Is it just super-strict paleo, or is there something else involved I'm missing by not buying the book?  Cuz I've been looking over the website, and it looks like it's just super-strict paleo (which I did once before, and was really happy with, but couldn't sustain it because of lack of support from my family).  I'm working on getting my diet back in order, and am having a bit more trouble with it than I thought I would, and I thought this might be a good way to go, but yeah, I'm confused about what's different from regular paleo.

10 hours ago, Elennare said:

I'm thinking about giving a whole 30 a go in the near future, but I have what is probably a dumb question for people who have done it before.  Is it just super-strict paleo, or is there something else involved I'm missing by not buying the book?  Cuz I've been looking over the website, and it looks like it's just super-strict paleo (which I did once before, and was really happy with, but couldn't sustain it because of lack of support from my family).  I'm working on getting my diet back in order, and am having a bit more trouble with it than I thought I would, and I thought this might be a good way to go, but yeah, I'm confused about what's different from regular paleo.

Hi Elennare. Yup, the Whole30 is just super-strict Paleo, a bit more so, for 30-days, to get rid of any of your food allergies. As for the book, all the information you need to get started with the Whole30 is one the website, but the book goes in to a bit more depth, regarding feelings, cravings, etc. The book isn't necessary, but if need be, I'd just pick up from your local library before buying it.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 7:29 PM, bea_minor3rd said:

Does anyone still pay attention to this?? I'm in my first week of Whole 30 and the one problem I'm having is that I get super hungry at about 8:30/9. I don't know what to do to fix this!! 

When I follow the meal template, I can go 5+ hours between meals without feeling hungry. My typical first meal is big. I always have some sort of protein to heat up with roasted Brussels sprouts (or other vegetable) and sweet potato. Usually I put two fried eggs on top, and have a handful of cherry tomatoes on the side. Getting enough fat is a big factor, in my experience.

Hope that helps!

I'm not currently doing an official Whole30, but I try to stick to the meal template for most meals.

On 2/1/2017 at 9:49 AM, Rebe_J said:

When I follow the meal template, I can go 5+ hours between meals without feeling hungry. My typical first meal is big. I always have some sort of protein to heat up with roasted Brussels sprouts (or other vegetable) and sweet potato. Usually I put two fried eggs on top, and have a handful of cherry tomatoes on the side. Getting enough fat is a big factor, in my experience.

Hope that helps!

I'm not currently doing an official Whole30, but I try to stick to the meal template for most meals.

I'm fine all day long! I feel great actually until 8:30/9 pm. (I guess I didn't say pm originally.) Like right now. I know I ate plenty at dinner, but I am hungry!

Sorry I wasn't following.

This is probably not helpful but:

Eating something between dinner and bedtime is a habit I stopped many years ago by turning off the TV. TV snacks were more of a habit than a response to real hunger. I finally realized this when there was something on TV that we wanted to watch and we didn't have any snacks and we made a special trip to the store! I ended up losing a lot of fat and I attribute much of that success to ditching TV. Twenty-some years later, we rarely miss it.

According to the W30 experts, if you're truly hungry, have a mini-meal that includes protein, vegetables, fat, such as tuna salad on some cucumber or bell pepper slices. If something like that doesn't sound appetizing, then it's probably "brain-hunger."  If it's brain-hunger, find something else to engage the brain. Sounds simple, but it's not always...

Now, if I could just follow my own advice consistently.....:apathy:

I completed the first day of my whole30! I honestly can't believe I actually made it!

It's been SO long since I've managed even 1 day of any healthy eating. Seriously. At worst, I've just been binging, and at best I've caved and drank something like chocolate milk or fried chicken or fast food.

Today I realized the difference between mind-hunger and real hunger, when I was craving chocolate something fierce (paired with an "OH, IM STARVINGGGGG") but all I had was an orange and I refused to eat it. I then realized that if I was ACTUALLY hungry I would've eaten whatever I had on hand. It was weird.

Today I had:

1 Aidell's chicken apple sausage

1 egg

Shrimp and spinach salad w/ tessemae balsamic dressing

Two clementine

1 Aidell's chicken apple sausage 

1 egg 

(I thought I was going to go off plan before dinner when I got hungry so I made tasty meaty options, which really held me over. I need to get more veggies! And lunch needs to be MUCH bigger... that delicious, measly salad was far too small)

Dinner was:

Rainbow Trout brushed with a garlic/paprika/lemon juice/ghee mixture and grilled

Baked sweet potato

Coming from a long time of "animal bad, only plant good" line of thinking (filled with harsh cravings, guilt and misery, fear of meat/fat) I really enjoyed today's food, even though I had a minor panic attack thinking that this was going to kill me, because meat and fat gives you cancer and heart disease and diabetes and OMG what if my arteries get clogged, so on so forth... which is ridiculous considering my epic binges.

But I digress.

On to day two!  On to VICTORY!!!