The Official Whole30/Whole9 Life Support Thread

Loren Wade

Thank you!

The answer to how strictly I'm adhering is that I'm aiming for 100/100. Yes, I know it is virtually impossible, but if I go for 100/100 I may reach 80/100 or even 90/100, right? I cut sugar, dairy, grains, soda, SWYPO treats, alcohol, non allowed legumes, etc. It's the end of day 3 for me, and it was all good until I realized I did the mistake of eating a can of tuna with vegetable oil - I thought it was a can with olive oil. Fail, I know, but I'm a very pragmatic person: it happened, boohoo me, let's move on and do it right tomorrow. But I'm not paying a small fortune for berries when I have bananas and avocados around and there is no way I can regularly afford 1200% organic grass feed beef. I also cannot have lunch at my workplace, and while I do have a series of great all-you-can-eat buffet style places around, I'm pretty sure they are not using coconut oil or ghee for cooking. So, I'm trying to chose the safest options in their menus and try perfection at home.

I'm willing to make my own almond milk and have one glass a day waaay later in the game, because I know myself and all that almond flour around won't do any good for me. :)

A 100/100 isn't virtually impossible. I've done it several times. In fact, the whole idea of whole 30 is 100% compliance. :)

So I'm on day 2 of my 2nd Whole30. Something I struggled with last time was getting enough fats into my diet. I dislike olives and avocados a LOT. Also, I am on a pretty tight budget, so I tend to buy lean conventional meats rather than organic/grass-fed. I use olive oil on my salads and ghee or coconut oil when cooking, but I still have trouble figuring out ways to get enough fats into my diet. Also, I am allergic to tree nuts. Any ideas short of doing olive oil shots? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ghee, cashews, olives, almond butter, coconut milk (from the can), coconut flakes (it's basically coconut meat), coconut butter, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, w30 bacon, paleo mayo...

A 100/100 isn't virtually impossible. I've done it several times. In fact, the whole idea of whole 30 is 100% compliance.  :)

Aw, I meant for me due to the fact that I cannot bring lunch to work, so I have to eat at restaurants and I can never be sure about the fats used for cooking, etc. I also realize that honest mistakes happen, so... But I'm aiming for 100/100. :)

If you have a chipotle near by you can eat Whole30 there.  You do a salad with double carnitas (the pork) and pico and guacamole and it is Whole30 compliant.  Only the carnitas though. The rest of the meats are cooked using soy bean oil.

What are the carnitas cooked with?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

If you have a chipotle near by you can eat Whole30 there.  You do a salad with double carnitas (the pork) and pico and guacamole and it is Whole30 compliant.  Only the carnitas though. The rest of the meats are cooked using soy bean oil.

Oof, single serving w guac is $10 -- what's it run with double meat?  :hopelessness:

Yeah, You are looking at an over 10 dollar take out dinner :tongue:  Not saying to live off of it, just saying it saved me once on my last whole30 :)

Also, if you feel your only option for lunches is to eat out, don't feel ashamed asking for ingredients and how things are cooked. If you are nice about it, you can become a regular places and they won't begrudge you your special request.

Was completely unaware that this thread existed (which I can understand, last post was last YEAR). However, as I've done two of these in my life so far, and knowing that they will not be the last, I feel the need to revive this thread for its original purpose. 

Hope all the Rebels who are currently in the middle of one or plan on doing one find there way here. Support!! :)

• Like 2

I haven't committed to a W30 this year. I'm going to do the NF 6WC 4WC, and that may be enough on my plate, so to speak. We stick pretty close to the W30 meal template at home, anyway.

I've got a lot of compliant recipes and food prep tips and techniques, if I can be of help.

I just saw it's a 4 week challenge. I don't have time to read it now; I have to go to work.

• Like 1

I haven't committed to a W30 this year. I'm going to do the NF 6WC 4WC, and that may be enough on my plate, so to speak. We stick pretty close to the W30 meal template at home, anyway.

I've got a lot of compliant recipes and food prep tips and techniques, if I can be of help.

That's awesome. One of my goals for the coming year is to do the same with my home.

My next challenge is going to be centered around my Whole30, as it'll be the biggest priority in the beginning of accomplishing my yearly goals.

So, I did something crazy -- I agreed to do a Whole 30 for the duration of Lent, which actually ends up being more like a Whole 45. I'm actually really excited, but also a bit nervous. I start on Wednesday the 10th. Anybody on this thread still alive? :D

• Like 1

Slayer Druid

"Welcome to the Hellmouth."

My Epic Quest | My Battle Log | My Blog

Current challenge: Slayer Hits the Books

Archived challenges: 12345

I'm lurking. I'm not doing a W30, but we eat according to the template most meals. Being consistent at that is one of my goals.

Today I made the best ground chicken burgers.

http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/southwestern-chicken-burgers/

Of course, I've never met a recipe that I couldn't improve. I grind my own meat, so I threw the vegetables into the grinder, as well. Saved a lot of time and mess. I also increased the chili powder and added some cumin. Very tasty.

That sounds awesome. We've got meals for the first week planned, and now I'm in the process of inventorying what in our house is already Whole30 compliant. I know there's like 36 pages of this, but any quick advice for a first-timer? :)

Slayer Druid

"Welcome to the Hellmouth."

My Epic Quest | My Battle Log | My Blog

Current challenge: Slayer Hits the Books

Archived challenges: 12345

That sounds awesome. We've got meals for the first week planned, and now I'm in the process of inventorying what in our house is already Whole30 compliant. I know there's like 36 pages of this, but any quick advice for a first-timer? :)

Start out simple. Don't try to make all the fancy W30 recipes at first. It's just vegetables, protein, fat--dress it up with spice blends or sauces. Do a weekly cook-up if you can, and then mix-n-match at mealtime.

Some of my favorites resources:  the books Well Fed and Well Fed2, by Melissa Joulwan. Her website is meljoulwan.com. She has great tips for the weekly cook-up and recipes for delicious sauces. Her method for meatballs is the best.

NomNomPaleo.com is a great source for tasty dishes, but can get a bit complicated. Her app for tablet is great, too. I use her pressure cooker recipes every week.

A lot of websites claim they are W30-compliant, but be careful and check them carefully. The Whole30 forums are very helpful, too.

Favorite appliances: Immersion blender for homemade mayo and other sauces and dressings. Instant Pot pressure cooker--tender meat in 30 minutes!

I could go on...

• Like 1

Prepare and start simple are my tips. I usually form a meal around a tasty protein recipe and add veggie sides and such. The resources that Rebe_J mentioned are awesome, as is the blog Stupid Easy Paleo. Some of my favorite recipes and staples are from Mel and Steph. <3

• Like 1

So I'm thinking about doing whole 30. Might not be starting until the end of August due to several out of town things where food options will be very limited. 

On 2/9/2016 at 8:29 AM, SkiBlue said:

Prepare and start simple are my tips. I usually form a meal around a tasty protein recipe and add veggie sides and such. The resources that Rebe_J mentioned are awesome, as is the blog Stupid Easy Paleo. Some of my favorite recipes and staples are from Mel and Steph. <3

I would also suggest domestic man (as well as second the nom nom paleo) 

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

I recently started my 2nd whole30 for this months challenge. To help myself be prepared I decided to make GHEE.

It took me about 7 hours to make it. Has anyone else made GHEE and it take that long? I'd like to make it again in the future but not if it takes 7 hours. :( 

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

On 9/29/2016 at 7:14 PM, Jonesy said:

I recently started my 2nd whole30 for this months challenge. To help myself be prepared I decided to make GHEE.

It took me about 7 hours to make it. Has anyone else made GHEE and it take that long? I'd like to make it again in the future but not if it takes 7 hours. :( 

Hi Jonesy. I've never made Ghee, but I do know of one excelent store-bought brands, that'll help with the Whole30.The brand is Pure Indian Foods. You can use the Store Locator to find it locally or you can order the ghee via Amazon.com. It's delicious and Whole30 approved! http://www.pureindianfoods.com/whole30-paleo-program-s/54.htm

• Like 1

Adventurer

Level 1

20 minutes ago, EchoingLaughter said:

Hi Jonesy. I've never made Ghee, but I do know of one excelent store-bought brands, that'll help with the Whole30.The brand is Pure Indian Foods. You can use the Store Locator to find it locally or you can order the ghee via Amazon.com. It's delicious and Whole30 approved! http://www.pureindianfoods.com/whole30-paleo-program-s/54.htm

Thanks! I wanted to avoid store bought because of the price. :)

Price wise it's better for my wallet to just make it (8 sticks = $10 = 2 quarts)

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

On 9/29/2016 at 7:14 PM, Jonesy said:

So I make Ghee the way most Indian people make it:  put butter in a big pan on low heat and let it go.  it will melt and then it will bubble once and then it will bubble twice.  You let the water boil out (rather than just separating) and let the milk solids go brown.  Let it cool a bit and it will settle.  Then just strain it through some cheesecloth.  It's easy and makes a nice nutty caramel-like flavor.  This takes about an hour. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

7 minutes ago, Anivair said:

So I make Ghee the way most Indian people make it:  put butter in a big pan on low heat and let it go.  it will melt and then it will bubble once and then it will bubble twice.  You let the water boil out (rather than just separating) and let the milk solids go brown.  Let it cool a bit and it will settle.  Then just strain it through some cheesecloth.  It's easy and makes a nice nutty caramel-like flavor.  This takes about an hour. 

Interesting. I may have to try it this way next time. Thanks!

I used a crock pot, which was fine but the milk solids never went brown. I kept waiting for them to brown before I strained it through the cheesecloth. 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!