Starting with a question - Olympic barbell

Hi All,

I'm about to start weight training for the first time in my life. I'm in reasonable shape, having always exercised to some extent with mainly martial arts and hiking, but I'm looking to tone up, get stronger and look better, and this site has inspired me to do that. I bought the Rebel Strength guide, and I'm about to start with barbell training. However, I've run into a problem on the first hurdle. I got an olympic barbell set from my local sports store. and it came with these, well, not sure what the name is, but they're a kind of cuff for holding on the plates. Can anyone tell me how the heck they work, because I don't have a clue!

Well, for some reason, I can't attach my photo... but if anyone's familiar with these - they kind of have a rotating cuff, and a clamp section with springs. If I'm not making much sense, then just ignore!

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm really looking forward to joining in the discussions here, and getting fitter/stronger along the way!

Ian

I think I know what you are saying but I am having a bit of a problem formulating the correct way to tell you so here it goes

slide your thumb and forefinger around it and pull back on the cuff and slide it off at the same time

if it the cuff I think it is, you might want to practice using it