Hot enough for you?

Hi All, How're you holding up?

I've been very lucky to be up in the cool mountains and on the coast of British Columbia the past couple of weeks and now at home in Toronto I'm being melted by the northern edge of this heat wave I'm sure most of you have been putting up with all Summer.

So, how've you been putting up with it? I'm specifically curious about tips on maintaining your level of activity and exercise. As a Ranger I pride myself on being versatile, outdoorsy and generally low maintenance, but y'know sometimes it's 36 celsius (97 fahrenheit) and humid out there and a little self care is called for.

Looking forward to your tips and tricks!

Cheers, illc

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

Of Goats and Rucks Challenge (June -July 2013)

~Take care. Be bold.~

Wish I had some. I've just taken to hanging out in my cool, dark basement lol! I'm near Hamilton, and it's not any cooler down here than in T.O....so gross. If I do venture outside, I've taken to soaking my shirt before I go. A wet dry-wick shirt feels nice and cool, even in this heat :) Also, any shoes that require socks are out. Sandals, flip-flops, or barefoot all the way!

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Yeah, I haven't been wearing shoes at all and yesterday refused to go to the community pool because it was too damn hot. I'm just staying out of it, which is sad, because I wanna rock my tan.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I just keep doing what I do. Yesterday it was 101 here in Minneapolis and I still did a 3.6 mile run outside. I don't get bothered by heat. I just sweat more. Just gotta drink a load more water when I get back to the house. I know that probably doesn't help you with tips, but it's what I do.

I'm also the oddball that runs outside in the winter here in Minneapolis (assuming it's above 10 degrees Fahrenheit).

It'll be 100 here tomorrow. Humid as all hell. I've been contemplating moving north once I'm done with school, quite possibly to Seattle, and this only makes me want to do it more.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Seattle+WA+USWA0395:1:US

Look at it! That's as close to perfect as it gets!

Yeah, but you should hear the locals and their incessant whining every August ;)

EightDigit - Level 1 Dwarven RangerSTR: 3 | DEX : 3 | STA : 3 | CON : 2 | WIS : 2 | CHA : 2Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade.-Rudyard KiplingBattleLog | G+ Account 

People always find something to whine about, so that's not unique to Seattle.

What exactly happens in August that's so terrible, anyway?

Either it finally gets over 80 degrees and everyone melts (only commercial buildings have air conditioning here) ... or it stays cloudy and cool, the tomatoes don't ripen, and everyone bitches about the "bummer summer."

Personally, I'm sitting around Seattle waiting for it to get hot (this weekend is the first hot forecast since, like, May), watching the rest of the country bake and burn, and going, "NOW do you idiots believe in climate change??"

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Which is why I'm tempted to move there. California with its year-round summer is just not my thing, anything south of NJ(where I live) is just absurdly hot. New England and Pacific Northwest seem like the best options. Also they're beautiful, and from what I hear, the people are a bit more my type! I'm not a fan of these New Yorkers...(no offense if you're from here!)

But about those winters...

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've just taken to hanging out in my cool, dark basement lol! I'm near Hamilton, and it's not any cooler down here than in T.O....so gross.

I sometimes commute Burlington-Toronto and it's not just not cooler - Hamilton's worse than Toronto - it's almost always 3°C warmer! And even more deadly once you add in the humidity. Blech.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Swimming in the local river. You can take a 6 hour tube trip (4 hours today after the rain yesterday), there's a swimming hole with rope swing, a swimming hole at the bottom of "rapids" (or as much of rapids as you can get in the lower peninsula of Michigan) that I like to use for arm exercise (grip the rocks and pull yourself up the rapids as far as you can go).

I went for a 10k hike on a remote, rugged island over the Canada Day weekend. Let's just say I found the functional limit of my sunscreen; burned so bad I haven't been to the gym yet this week (maybe tomorrow, though).

Tip for staying cool: Poor cold water over your wrists. It doesn't take much to cool your whole system down doing that.

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

I'm just north of Hamilton. Luckily, my gym keeps the air con cranked, and we have a pool in the backyard. If it's too hot out I just stay in my house, and sometimes retreat to the basement. So far the only tricky thing for me has been if I want to go somewhere & both my parents have their cars out. Then I have to decide between biking there in the heat or waiting until I can take a car. If you put a wet scarf or handkerchief on the back of your neck it'll help keep you cool. :)