20 year old girl ready to make a change..

Hi! My name's Alyssa.. some research on the Paleo diet brought me here. I've read more than enough today to change my entire perspective on eating and exercise, and this website is great and pushing exactly what I want to do to change my life. I guess my question is for any women posting on these boards.. Along with Paleo, I plan to focus primarily on weight lifting. I hate cardio (HATE) it makes me feel like my entire body is going to give out at any second and it has never made me feel STRONG like lifting has. I guess my question is, it is okay to follow the same lifting routine as my boyfriend? He focuses on one muscle group per day when I've read a lot of women's stories that have added more than one muscle group per day to their lifting and they felt it was beneficial. Let me know what you think!

Welcome! I don't know as much about the lifting as others here at nerd fitness as I have just started, but I guess it comes down to what you want to get out of it, and whether focusing on one muscle group or more helps you best achieve this, but please correct me if I am wrong though.

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

It depends on your boyfriend's level as compared to yours. You don't want to jump into an advanced routine doing bulgarian split squats when you can't even get the form down to do a leg raise.

If you're a beginner I'd recommend Rebel Strength or Starting Strength. Learn your compound moves and learn to set your spine like a rock. There's a fair bit to learn about programming, and much better authors than me have written about it. As a novice you'll get the most benefit from teaching your CNS (Central Nervous System) what all the moves are. Kinda like how Mr Miyagi taught the karate kid how to block by painting a house, do it over and over and over.

Also if you find a personal trainer you can trust, talk with him/her along with a physio. You'll have the security in knowing that the PT at least did a Cert III in exercise and the physio has a degree and practice and deals with all ranges, from older people to keyed in athletes.

Hi Alyssa, and welcome to NF!

Bean has some great advice!

I would suggest you look up spezzy on the forums for the best female advice on weight lifting. I am not a real weight lifter, I tend towards the martial arts, playful attitude of fitness, go with the flow, type of deal...spezzy and the other female lifters will have GREAT advice for you.

As for paleo...I do know this...GO FOR IT ALL THE WAY! just make sure you eat enough food if you are working on lifting, and building strength, but it absolutely rocks beyond belief! For me, 2 years of it, and it rocks!

good luck and welcome!