Erawka's training montage.

Starting stats:

27 years old, female bodied. And an elfish body it is.

H: 6'0 / 182.8cm

W: 150 lbs / 68 kg

STR: 1 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Goals by 7/30 (bearing in mind my start date is 7/9)

1. Track food every day. (Daily burn.) Determine average carb intake.

2. Lower average carb intake by 25g per week until at or below 100g.

3. Go to the gym 4x/week.

4. Maintain my current study schedule and pass my license exam (7/24 - 25).

Backstory to come. Right now I'm at the gazing longingly at the chin up bar stage of my montage.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Today:

2x15 Squats at 75#

1x3 Squats at 77.5

1x3 Squats at 80! New max squat! Up to 85 next week, I hope.

3x10 DB shoulder press 30#

3x15 KB swings 35#

3x5 assisted pull-ups, with 3 negative pull ups at the end (WAY HARD). I still haven't figured out how much resistance is on the assist band at the gym. Will find out next session.

For the Ranger week 4 mini-challenge, I've done this circuit two days in a row:

100 jump rope (ish -- I err on the side of "better do 25 more" when I lose count), 10 burpees, 15 modified push-ups, 10 lateral DB raises 10# (these are so hard!), and 15 BW squats. My calves are sore from the jump rope, and I like it.

As for goals by 7/30, I've tracked all my food since joining NF. My average carb intake dataset is not totally reliable, but even on a carby day I don't get much higher than 150g. Totally doable to bring that down to >100g in three weeks. The only way I could possibly blow that is by overeating fruit (which I am very capable of doing).

The gym's hours changed, so I have to really plan my trip there and be efficient because my ideal times aren't available to me any more. Still, I'm on track.

As for studying, I'm on track there as well. Yay discipline!

Time to EAT.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Added dead lifts yesterday. I'm pretty stoked to see that, after some monkeying around and gradually adding weight, my DL is at 80# or so like my squat!

Anyway, here's last week.

1x5 DL bar

1x5 DL 50

1x5 DL 70

1x5 DL 80

3x10 TRX inverted rows. Lots of adjustments as I went, since this was my first time doing inverted rows on TRX bands. I'll try to get a consistent angle soon.

3x20 DB chest press 30# -- time for bigger DBs!

3x 45 sec plank to 30 sec down dog to 15 sec plank

Battle Log

Just chiming in to say that my KB swing progress has both slowed and sped up -- got someone to look at my form and give me a couple pointers. The comparison to a deadlift has made a BIG difference. They're much harder now! I only managed 3x10 today. Definite burn.

Battle Log

Yesterday I started Dumbbell Division. Similar to what I've been doing so far in the push, pull, legs, core sense, but more organized. Plus, there's only one squat rack at my gym, but there's a whole stack of dumbbells.

Push press: 1x5 10# DBs, 4x5 15# DBs

Pull ups: 3x7 with the 25 + 75# resistance bands. So that's 21 reps of about 50#. Before I was doing 3x5 with worse form on a 75# band. 15 reps of 75#. They come out almost even, but the 3x5 with just the 75# band I'm lifting about 75 more pounds over all. Glad I crunched the numbers. The good form on the lower weight feels better, and if I can grind out more reps, it'll be more TUT, but I can't argue with just lifting more.

Push ups: 20-15-15 from the knees.

Side planks: 45 sec - 30 sec - 30 sec. I've lost some ground from not doing these for a while. Goes to show what constantly switching your program will do...

Battle Log

Not a training thing, but I take the bar Tues and Wed, so no posting between now and then. Will hit the gym Monday night for a solid DB session, then will collapse into bed Wed night! Wish me luck!

Battle Log

12/15/12

Warm-up: walked to gym, 1.1 mi.

Supersets:

Barbell OHP 6 x 45 and seated cable row 3 x 12 @ 55. First time doing a cable row. Figured I'd find the 1RM later, if I liked the exercise.

Planks (1:05, 0:53, 0:53) and leg press 10, 7, 5 x 130. PR on the leg press, although I haven't done them in ages. Thanks, back squats!

Hip bridges (BW)

Glute and thigh adductors 3 x 10 @ 85

One last 6 x 45 of OHP before I left.

Cool down: walked back, threw in a few springing high knees.

Battle Log

12/16/12

Walked 7 miles with a pack. Not sure how heavy, but the last 1.5ish miles was quite heavy due to a grocery stop. Half that walk was fasted. Still tracking foods.

Low stress day. Brunch, a little easy work, some reading, then some dinner.

Battle Log

DB deads (weight is one DB)

7x20 warm

5x35

5x40

5x40

5x40

Good mornings w/25# plate

10x25

10x25

10x25

10x25

Bench:

10x45 wm

5x55

5x55

3x55 F

Hip Adductor

10x80

10x80

10x80

Hip Un-ductor

10x80

10x80

10x80

Pulls w/55# assist

3, 3, 2, F 

Need to do OHP test next time. 

Battle Log

1/7/13

OHP

5xbar

1x47.5

1x50

1x52.5

1x55

1x57.5

1x60

1x62.5 -- FUCKING WOOT! PR!

fail at 65 

Back squats

5x65 wm

5x85

5x95

3x105

2x110 -- FUCKING WOOT! PR!

Pull-ups

40# assist: 2, 1(f)

55# assist: 3, 2, 2(f)

Planks

80, 45

Kind of want a massage now.

Battle Log

Bench:

45x5

55x5

55x5

55x5 failed at 6

Deadlift:

45x5

80x5

80x5

80x5

I am scraping the shit out of my knees. I think that means I'm doing it right. 

Lat pull:

100x3

85x5

85x5

85x5

Maybe the plates at the Edge were in kg? I tried 115 and couldn't move it, but managed 120 at Edge. 

Plank:

60, 60

These were hard. Sore from Monday still?

Battle Log

Reviving the old battle log. All DB exercise weights are the weight of ONE dumbbell. 

Because of the Fried Adrenal Business (FAB), weights are still fairly low for what I know I can do. Working on volume rather than intensity and breaking when needed. Long term goal of a pull-up remains. Shorter term goals of climbing a 5.10 and doing a BW dead and squat are still in sight too. Been doing mostly DB work because the most convenient location of my gym only has DBs for freeweights. The location about 3 miles away has barbells and whatnot, but time is at a premium right now. For that reason, following the Less Thinking, More Doing II program for now. Been doing this program for about four weeks now, although the last week was a wreck due to health emergencies. Fucking organs. (No, literally. My organs that have everything to do with fucking are falling all to pieces.)

• Cycling: To and from work. 
    • 12 mi || light hills
  • Romanian Dumbbell Deadlift:
    • 25 lb x 8 reps
    • 25 lb x 8 reps
    • 30 lb x 8 reps
    • 30 lb x 8 reps 
  • Seated Cable Row:
    • 60 lb x 8 reps 
    • 60 lb x 8 reps 
    • 60 lb x 8 reps 
    • 60 lb x 8 reps 
  • Dumbbell Bench Press:
    • 20 lb x 8 reps
    • 20 lb x 8 reps 
    • 20 lb x 8 reps
    • 20 lb x 8 reps 
  • ATG Goblet Squat (dumbbell):
    • 30 lb x 15 reps
    • 30 lb x 15 reps 
    • 30 lb x 15 reps -- these feel like widowmakers. 
  • One Arm Lat Pulldown:
    • 50 lb x 15 reps
    • 50 lb x 15 reps
    • 50 lb x 15 reps - was musing about how close a pull up must be if I can do a fair bit of volume on the one-arms.
  • Plank:
    • 58 sec
    • 60 sec
    • 55 sec -- these were disappointing. I can usually consistently hit over a minute. Then again, ER trip + a few missed gym days bound to = disappointment. 

Food

Brekkie: 3 slices bacon, 2 carrot-banana paleo muffins w/almond butter (holy CRAP these were heavy)

Lunch/PWO: 1/3 c sauerkraut, protein shake w/berries, chocolate whey, and kefir

Snack: carrot and apple

Dinner: Salmon w/salad (planned but hasn't happened yet)

Supplements (I'm on an antibiotic regimen for a couple more days, so in addition to my usual supplements, I'm dosing heavy on the micro critters)

Fish oil - check

Milk thistle - check

Probiotics (non-food source) - check

Glutamine - with dinner

Multi-vit - with dinner

Destressing activity:

Meditation - as soon as I'm done posting, outside in the sun

Workout - check

Reading - after meditation

Battle Log

I did 20 reps exercises (was supposed to shoot for 15-20) for NRoLfW and I hated everything during that stage. :) That was when I decided to do Strong Lifts when I was done so I wouldn't have to do high reps any more.

Right? Total suckage. Still, high reps is really helpful for the climbing, as I probably don't need to tell you. The lower weights are annoying in a my-pride-hurts kind of way, but if it burns like that it's got to be good for me.

Battle Log

6/3/13

Bike ride to work: 12 mile round trip

Food

Bacon, eggs, sauerkraut

Paleo muffins x2

Chicken breast (apple glazed)

Cookie w/walnuts and w/out regrets

Carrot & celery

Apple

(so far - dinner likely a fritatta)

Supplements

Probiotics

Need to take:

fish oil

glutamine

more probiotics

Milk thistle

multivit

Battle Log

Here to cheer you on!

Cookies sans regrets are the tastiest cookies of all.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Right? Total suckage. Still, high reps is really helpful for the climbing, as I probably don't need to tell you. The lower weights are annoying in a my-pride-hurts kind of way, but if it burns like that it's got to be good for me.

Yes and no? The weights for climbing that I've seen all suggest low reps because you don't want to bulk up since being as light as possible makes it easier to haul your weight around, but on the other hand, you want to build up your endurance too.

erawka!  HIIII!  :::waves like a lunatic:::

How are ya?  and re you doing a challenge this time around?  I looked for your thread but couldn't find it.  My challenge thread is not really even official cuz I needs a break this time around, but I am still going to be posting and interacting with all y'all.  Hope life/work/stuff is treating you well!  :)

Here to cheer you on!

Cookies sans regrets are the tastiest cookies of all.

Yay! Thanks! 

Also, when you're right, you're right. Especially when the sans regrets cookie is a chocolate sans regrets cookie. 

paleo muffins. omnom.

Carrot banana. I was skeptical, then I ate one. Okay, two. Okay, two in a day, and about eight for the week. GF helped. 

Yes and no? The weights for climbing that I've seen all suggest low reps because you don't want to bulk up since being as light as possible makes it easier to haul your weight around, but on the other hand, you want to build up your endurance too.

That's just it. I've seen it both ways since endurance is important for long walls/outdoor stuff, but the way-more-serious-than-me folks are into keeping bodyweight low. Frankly, I need all the muscle I can get, being of the lanky hardgainer persuasion (on top of the whole female-bodied, low testosterone and HGH thing). For now, my endurance sucks, though, so I'm going to stick with the current program for a bit and see where it gets me. 

Do you yoga at all? I'm not terribly flexible, and that's going to be a limiting factor in the not too distant future. 

erawka!  HIIII!  :::waves like a lunatic:::

How are ya?  and re you doing a challenge this time around?  I looked for your thread but couldn't find it.  My challenge thread is not really even official cuz I needs a break this time around, but I am still going to be posting and interacting with all y'all.  Hope life/work/stuff is treating you well!   :)

HI! HIIIII! 

No challenge this time. I'm using this here thread as my base of operations. I also needed a break. I'm going to find and sub your unofficial thread right now! 

Life and work stuff are okay -- kind of a pleasant holding pattern for the next couple weeks. Shit's going to get real again at the end of the month, but that's the nature of the beast. GF is well, garden is well. Hell, I'm even getting some good sleep. Woot. Yourself?

Battle Log

• Biked to work Tuesday, missed yesterday. 

• 6/6/13

Cycling:

• 12 mi commute

Dumbbell Split Squat:

• 25 lb x 8 reps 

• 25 lb x 8 reps

25 lb x 8 reps

25 lb x 8 reps -- bumping up to 30 next time. 

Lat Pulldown:

• 75 lb x 8 reps

• 65 lb x 8 reps 

65 lb x 8 reps

65 lb x 8 reps -- This is frustrating because my one-arm pull down doubled is 100#. I've been out of the game for too long. Either that or I'm just not pushing it hard enough. Or maybe I'm finally doing them right. You know, with my lats. 

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press:

• 15 lb x 8 reps

• 15 lb x 8 reps

15 lb x 8 reps

15 lb x 8 reps -- this can definitely go up

Low Cable Romanian Deadlift:

• 85 lb x 15 reps

• 95 lb x 15 reps

95 lb x 15 reps -- these are awkward and I don't like them, but they're helping my RDL form for sure. There's nowhere for my butt to go but out. I could definitely do more weight on these, but I want to be sure I've got my form in line before I start going bananas on the heavy weights. 

One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

• 20 lb x 15 reps

• 20 lb x 15 reps 

20 lb x 15 reps -- burn, but not intolerable. 

I also monkeyed around with knee raises and decline crunches instead of side planks. I like them and they seem more climbing-specific, so I might sub them out. 

Foam roller was a hell beast. Didn't LAX ball, but should tomorrow. I feel the decline crunches in my hip flexors, which strikes me as weird and maybe bad. I'm trying to concentrate on lengthening and shortening my abs, but the flexors still feel crunchy when I crunch. Dunno. 

Brekkie: Scramble with cottage cheese, bell pepper, and kale

Snack: Apple with AB, small wedge very dark chocolate 

Lunch: Meatballs, collard greens, dates

Snack: Kind bar (coconut something -- free from the Kind bar promo squad!)

Dinner: Beef, arugula, cheese, banana. Banana was dessert, really. 

Supps: 

Fish oil

Probiotics -- need to stay on top of these. My system is reeling from the freaking Keflex. 

Glutamine

Multi-vit

Relaxation:

10 min garden time

Walk in the sun during work hours (always makes me feel better)

Meditation imminent

There's a work conference coming up in an outdoorsy town a few hours from my city, and I'm taking time off (GASP!) to go camping before the conference. My boss has already green lighted. There will be kayaking. There will be no posting (6/12 - 6/16 or so). There will be responsible food choices. I will volunteer to DD to keep myself off the sauce. Not that I'm terribly tempted these days. Whatever else may tempt me, booze just isn't it. Anyway. Camping. Time off. Woot.  

Battle Log

Which probiotics are you using?  How are you liking them?

OMG! YAY! Camping!!!!! Have so much fun! SO much fun!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Yay camping!

Re the one vs two arm stuff: what you can do with one arm does not mean you can do twice that with two, ditto legs. I can OHP with two arms heavier weights than half of what I can DB press and when I did split squats I could handle more than 50% with one leg what I could do with two. So don't worry about your two arm pull-down not being twice your one arm pull-down; the math for body mechanics doesn't actually work that way because single limb things use different stabilizers than the two limb things do so different muscles are getting activated depending on whether you're using one side at a time or both at once or if when you're moving both arms at once if they're connected by a bar or moving independently (I'm pretty sure my one-arm DB press doing one at a time is a little better than what I can do pressing two DBs at once because I'm getting extra support from the other side of my body.

yuck. they have you on keflex? gross. sorry buddy.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter