Erawka's training montage.

Which probiotics are you using?  How are you liking them?

OMG! YAY! Camping!!!!! Have so much fun! SO much fun!

Going back and forth between Nature's Life and American Health liquid probiotics. The big bottles. I just take a swig a couple times a day. Tastes like yogurt. I'm also eating fairly epic amounts of of kraut, kefir, and yogurt. 

I'm SOOO excited. The plan came together at the last minute, really -- the last minute for be being fewer than five days in advance, evidently. 

Yay camping!

Re the one vs two arm stuff: what you can do with one arm does not mean you can do twice that with two, ditto legs. I can OHP with two arms heavier weights than half of what I can DB press and when I did split squats I could handle more than 50% with one leg what I could do with two. So don't worry about your two arm pull-down not being twice your one arm pull-down; the math for body mechanics doesn't actually work that way because single limb things use different stabilizers than the two limb things do so different muscles are getting activated depending on whether you're using one side at a time or both at once or if when you're moving both arms at once if they're connected by a bar or moving independently (I'm pretty sure my one-arm DB press doing one at a time is a little better than what I can do pressing two DBs at once because I'm getting extra support from the other side of my body.

That's reassuring, and it makes total sense. So the two hand lat pull down is going to be more difficult because it'll require more stabilizers than using a bar?

So jealous of your upcoming camping.

Have so. much. fun!

Thanks! I'm so looking forward to it. 

yuck. they have you on keflex? gross. sorry buddy.

Yeah, that was unfortunate. The only upside was that it was a really short course of antibiotics. I'm well off 'em now, and back to my usual tricks. Except with more kraut. Which is good! I love kraut. 

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Climbing day! We did three 45' walls apiece, then tooled around on the boulder problems until our finger flexors and extensors started to get sore. 

I think we need to rest more. We were better about resting today and managed to save some juice for bouldering, but I think both my climbing buddy and I get kind of pumped pretty quick being a) new and B) terrified death grippers. 

Need to do some laundry and get everything ready for my trip. If all goes according to plan, I'm leaving Tuesday and returning Sat or Sun, so I won't be online much this week. 

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

That's reassuring, and it makes total sense. So the two hand lat pull down is going to be more difficult because it'll require more stabilizers than using a bar?

I don't know; I find the one arm stuff to be harder than the two arm stuff in some cases -- I can OHP more than twice what I can DB OHP but I can DB row more than half what I can row with a barbell if it's a 3 pt row. I've never tried one handed lat pulldowns. Maybe it has to do with the angle at which you're pulling and how you're able to brace yourself?

Climbing day! We did three 45' walls apiece, then tooled around on the boulder problems until our finger flexors and extensors started to get sore. 

I think we need to rest more. We were better about resting today and managed to save some juice for bouldering, but I think both my climbing buddy and I get kind of pumped pretty quick being a) new and B) terrified death grippers. 

Need to do some laundry and get everything ready for my trip. If all goes according to plan, I'm leaving Tuesday and returning Sat or Sun, so I won't be online much this week. 

Yay climbing! Don't forget to use your legs and find good places for your feet; your legs are stronger than your arms and having a good foot hold will make things easier on your arms. Also, though I am also someone who hangs on and tries to find a way off the wall that doesn't involve dropping, falling isn't that bad.

this sounds fun. i usually am dead by three or four climbs on the wall. but usually it's my hands and grip that are dead. i try and use my legs a lot. but that only helps me when i can keep my foot on the hold. :)

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

this sounds fun. i usually am dead by three or four climbs on the wall. but usually it's my hands and grip that are dead. i try and use my legs a lot. but that only helps me when i can keep my foot on the hold. :)

Yeah, those little bitty footholds can be tough. Good workout for the hips and butt though, trying to stay all hugged up against the wall on an inch-wide lip of hold. 

I don't know; I find the one arm stuff to be harder than the two arm stuff in some cases -- I can OHP more than twice what I can DB OHP but I can DB row more than half what I can row with a barbell if it's a 3 pt row. I've never tried one handed lat pulldowns. Maybe it has to do with the angle at which you're pulling and how you're able to brace yourself?

Yay climbing! Don't forget to use your legs and find good places for your feet; your legs are stronger than your arms and having a good foot hold will make things easier on your arms. Also, though I am also someone who hangs on and tries to find a way off the wall that doesn't involve dropping, falling isn't that bad.

True story. I'm slowly losing my death grip tendencies, and routes where I'm thinking about my legs through the crux are definitely my strongest, but there's still a lot of fear and grabbing involved. Not that it's so terrible for me to work over my arms and shoulders, but I know for sure that technique will be a source of huge gains. Going to take a lesson or two sometime this summer, just have to figure out scheduling with Climbing Buddy. 

It really, really helps to have an Awesome Climbing Buddy. 

Battle Log

And we're back. First the life stuff before the workout log. 

Camping was AMAZING. We were in a secluded little river valley at the confluence of the river and a creek. No one else was at the campsite. My camping buddies and I ate well, talked, deeply, and went rafting on Wednesday. 

The conference was also pretty darn great. Next year I'd like to stay closer to the site, but the house we rented was worth the drive. 

That said, I only ended up stayed in that house one night. Two nights camping, one night in the house, and one drunken spree that ended in another group's nearer-by condo. Came very close to a drunken make-out session with a good friend. Got into a hot tub fully clothed and threw beer at an attorney I work with. Too much excellent beer. Darn this Pacific Northwest. 

And I wasn't the most out of control person by a long shot. Criminal defense lawyers hit it hard, evidently. 

Anyway, I'm back to civilization, clean eating, my normal regimen of virtually no alcohol, and the gym. Having thoughts of hiring an occasional trainer again. I didn't push myself terribly hard this time, and frankly, I don't push myself terribly hard period. So trainer. 

• Dumbbell Squat:
    • 30 lb x 8 reps 
    • 30 lb x 8 reps
    • 30 lb x 8 reps
    • 30 lb x 8 reps
  • Seated Cable Row:
    • 60 lb x 8 reps
    • 60 lb x 8 reps
    • 60 lb x 8 reps
    • 60 lb x 8 reps
  • Dumbbell Bench Press:
    • 20 lb x 8 reps
    • 20 lb x 8 reps
    • 20 lb x 8 reps
    • 20 lb x 8 reps
  • One Arm Lat Pulldown:
    • 55 lb x 15 reps
    • 55 lb x 15 reps
    • 55 lb x 15 reps
  • Goblet Squat (dumbbell):
    • 30 lb x 15 reps
    • 30 lb x 15 reps
    • 30 lb x 15 reps
  • Hanging Knee Raise:
    • 15 reps
    • 15 reps
  • Decline Crunch:
    • 20 reps 
    • 20 reps 
  • Cycling:
    • 6 mi || flat
    • (errands)

Battle Log

Trial. Jury's still out. Fighting chance at this one. 

Did a round at the gym, but off-program. It was fun to just go try to beat myself up a little. Felt good to push it after so long with low-n-slow. 

Battle Log

Another off-program day yesterday, but good. My pecs are hella sore, brah. I'll do another month on the program, then probably start trucking out to the other gym loc to use their barbells. I miss them and feel pretty good these days. 

In other news, NOT MOTHERFUCKING GUILTY, MOTHERFUCKERS. I am a badass attorney who wins trials!

Battle Log

In other news, NOT MOTHERFUCKING GUILTY, MOTHERFUCKERS. I am a badass attorney who wins trials!

QFT! Way to go :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Yikes. Long time no update. The three main things:

1. I'm doing a little better at managing work. A lot better, actually. I'm getting better at delegating, I'm starting to see similar cases over and over, and our office has a ton of summer interns who are taking a lot of work off my hands.

2. GF and I bought a car together last weekend. YIKES!

3. I think I'm ready for a challenge again. The break was good. Now I want structure. I have a plan. I have a schedule. I also have a vacation (!!!) the first week of this challenge.

Battle Log

1. I'm doing a little better at managing work. A lot better, actually. I'm getting better at delegating, I'm starting to see similar cases over and over, and our office has a ton of summer interns who are taking a lot of work off my hands.

3. I think I'm ready for a challenge again. The break was good. Now I want structure. I have a plan. I have a schedule. I also have a vacation (!!!) the first week of this challenge.

YES.

miss your face.

er... you know what i mean.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

The main action is going to be at (http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/33577-erawka-honesty/) -- the battle log may retire, since I don't want to have redundant threads. 

woot.

Battle Log

Yesss!  I am coming back for this challenge too.  My break was good but I am ready for kicking @$ses and taking names.  :)  I'm getting the hang of the new rules....are you going to be with the Rangers still?

First of all, I love KSD. All the time.

Second, training. Training is good. Training is hard.

I trained yesterday with AGT. He kicked my ass. He is talking about doing the same Go Ruck I'm signed up for (about 5 months from now) which will be interesting. There is much met con and work volume in my future.

I trained today, trying to "study" for my "test" -- that is, we're running the TRX 40/40 again next Monday to see what's up. I did it in less time today, but it still pretty well smoked me, even with modifications. Doing the rows with my feet under the anchor, for example, just isn't there yet.

Sleep is the current obsession. I've been playing with blindfolding myself in the absence of a sleep mask, although only when GF's snoring drives me to the living room. (I have a mask somewhere, just can't find it. Unwilling to buy a new one as such.)

Food is food is food. Cooking delicious things out of delicious Paleo cookbooks is helpful. Being broke (or artificially broke as I've just moved a chunk of dough into savings) and not going out for lunch helps. Eating breakfast, even when I don't really want it, helps. If I can get my going out to eat habit somewhat curtailed, I think that will yield great things. There's a lot of unintentional oil and sugar consumption happening on the casual "I'll just grab a . . ." moments. Not a big deal every once in a while, but I've been keeping track, and I've had weeks where I get food out more days than I don't. Of course, that's usually just one meal out of the day, but if I'm eating out 4/7 days in a really flagrant week (even just a grab and go salady something from the crunchy hippy deli), that's worth looking into. This counts everything, salady things, GF snacks from the coffee shop, etc. I had a 4/7 week recently and that was a wake up call. There's no hiding from quantification.

I watched a client get into an argument with a judge recently. I didn't step in because it was one of those situations where taking either side was ridiculous. The judge was trying to assert her/his power and client was being difficult for the sake of being difficult. Once it escalated, I knew that taking the judge's side would only enflame the client more. I also knew that client's side would lose me integrity points since she/he was, frankly, wrong. But watching these two go after each other quelled some of my anxiety. There was peace in knowing that my agency had its limits and I couldn't fix the situation.

Battle Log

The night of 10/28 I got lousy sleep. GF was snoring like a bandsaw and I slept on the couch after much tossing and turning. Didn't train yesterday because I felt like such almighty crap.

Slept okay last night, but am now crashing hardcore. Not sure if it's more fatigue or if it's something else (possibly a sugar crash - I did indulge today, and it probably wasn't worth it). It feels worse than the afternoon malaise I sometimes get. I'm having trouble staying awake, and good posture left the building hours ago. Debating whether to train light or not train at all. AGT just gave me a new DB routine that I'm excited to try, but even at a low weight range, it looks pretty killer. Don't want to miss two days in a row, though, so... So.

Battle Log

Yesterday: AGT madness. He's ramping up the intensity. Everything here was three sets.

Circuit A: Drop sets of 20-15-10

KB DLs

TRX inverted rows

Full-length sit-ups

B: 20-15-10

KB swings

TRX eccentric inverted rows

Roll back to sprawl

C: Plyo

Jump squats

Clap push ups (modified)

Plank up-downs

D:

KB windmills (I'd never done these before - so good for grip!) 5/side

TRX atomic push ups x10

Finished off with a burpee ladder with bear crawls between burpees. The burn!

We start with foam rolling and I do a little more stretching and rolling after I walk the .5 mile home. I'll update next time with the DB program he has me doing. I'm excited to be off my climbing hiatus and to work up my grip again. It's cool to see that the grip and not the upper body strength is the weak spot right now. Turns out lifting heavy things really is helpful.

Probable walk-run tonight. I'm going to be a pansy and check the weather for today and tomorrow, and that will determine when that happens. I've been a fair weather runner lately. To really get ready for this race, I should probably just suck it up and run in the rain.

Battle Log

KB Windmills and burpee ladders FTW!! 

The windmills always take me some warm up reps to make sure I've got the form right. For some reason they always feel weird to start.

Fair weather running this time of year seems pretty normal to me. Lots more rain and cold wind. It's hard to motivate yourself for that unless you've promised someone else you going to go with them. Peer pressure at its finest :P

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Saturday: Chores of the mildly aerobic type all damn day. I didn't end up getting to the gym, but stayed moving and on my feet (if not on a ladder) the whole day. Painting, wallpaper removal (THE WORST), gutter cleaning, yard work.

Sunday: Climbing. Not the most strenuous session, but I showed up. There's a new rock gym in town that sources say is pretty sweet. Going to try that this week.

Today: AGT. Who smoked me with a totally deceptive combination of BW, KB and TRX. Part of the smokage was volume, but all the movements were compound movements, so yeah. It amounted to:

Primal flow/TRX warm up

3 x 10 of:

KB snatch

TRX lunges with explosive knee drive ACTION!

Roll backs with KB shoulder press

KB swing + lunge

TRX single leg sprawl

Plank up-downs

And that was pretty much IT. I mean, there was another burpee ladder, but just a little one. I was a sweat beast.

Eating was rock solid today. GF is getting on board with a few of the paleo/primal tenets, and we are both focusing on ditching sugar. We'd let some into the house and it all went downhill from there.

Sleep has been so great lately! I'm not even sure why. Gotta un-screen in a little bit here, though, so I don't jinx it.

Meditation practice has been going okay too. I'm working on walking meditation when I go to court, and taking time during the day some/most days. Better than nothing. Still showing up.

Battle Log

Nice training! That looks brutal in a good kind of way.

Eating was rock solid today. GF is getting on board with a few of the paleo/primal tenets, and we are both focusing on ditching sugar. We'd let some into the house and it all went downhill from there.

Yep, that's definitely how it happens. 'Round my house these days it's Halloween candy. The kids do a good job of only having one or two pieces a day. Me on the other hand, I have to avoid walking past the dining table altogether or my hand is grabbing a peanut butter cup out of the bowl before I know it. Getting rid of it altogether is the right approach. It's just too slippery of a slope.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

'Round my house these days it's Halloween candy. The kids do a good job of only having one or two pieces a day. Me on the other hand, I have to avoid walking past the dining table altogether or my hand is grabbing a peanut butter cup out of the bowl before I know it. Getting rid of it altogether is the right approach. It's just too slippery of a slope.

It's crazy how well-engineered candy is. I went years without touching the stuff - vegan days, mostly, but that bled over into paleo times. I've had a little here and there, though, and it's like falling off the wagon. I used to eat sweet things when I was sad (any candy I had was in secret so my health nut parents wouldn't find out) (also while reading my comics/nerdery) and the effects of that are far-ranging. Slippery slope is right.

Battle Log

Today: Spending the holiday painting the living room. Time permitting, I'll train, but it's a rest day on the schedule.

Sleep was only okay last night. I think being more diligent about screen time and limiting liquids for a few hours before bed will get me back on track.

GF has been a brat today. I'd like to meditate it out a little.

Battle Log

• Group A
    • Dumbbell Squat-Curl-Press 3x10 @ 10
    • Mountain Climbers 3x20
  • Group B
    • Dumbbell Bench Press 3x10 @ 20
    • Goblet Squat (dumbbell) 3x10 @ 30
    • Renegade Row 3x10 @ 10
  • Group C
    • Dumbbell Rear Lunge-Curl-Press 3x10 @ 10
    • Dumbbell Step Ups 3x10 @ 20#, 18"
  • Group D
    • Two-Arm Kettlebell Swing 3x20 @ 25
    • Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squat 3x10 @ 20

Could stand to increase weight on the chest press and the goblets. The complexes with the curl-presses are limited by my curls, embarrassingly enough. Should be able to bump these to 15, or at least I'd better try. Not getting much out of 2/3 of the complexes.

• Like 1

Battle Log