Erawka's training montage.

Climbed today. Some juggy and overhung stuff, primarily, but ended on a tricky slab route that was pretty balance-focused. I struggled with it.  Tomorrow is AGT, then Tuesday a run with a friend. Trying to leave Wednesdays flexible, since those are the only days I can potentially pick up a cancellation with the therapist.

Cooked a massive pot of marinara with eggplant and sausage. Added spaghetti squash, and boom. Lunches for the week. I also roasted the hell out of some root vegetables for breakfasts and dinners. Tomorrow night, GF is cooking us fish. It's marinating overnight and mmmmmm.

I've gotten away from my mindfulness practice lately, but the walking meditation helps a little. I have yet to pick a regular time to meditate still, and I think this is part of the reason the habit hasn't stuck.

Sleep has been good for the most part. Woot.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Well hello there!!

I couldn't find your challenge, then I found your last challenge and realized I never made it there... and then, and then, I came here and posted a terrible run on sentence of babble.

So hi!

tumblr_lx8vg2ivCn1qdq5u6.gif

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

• Group A
    • Dumbbell Squat-Curl-Press 3x10 @ 10
    • Mountain Climbers 3x20
  • Group B
    • Dumbbell Bench Press 3x10 @ 20
    • Goblet Squat (dumbbell) 3x10 @ 30
    • Renegade Row 3x10 @ 10
  • Group C
    • Dumbbell Rear Lunge-Curl-Press 3x10 @ 10
    • Dumbbell Step Ups 3x10 @ 20#, 18"
  • Group D
    • Two-Arm Kettlebell Swing 3x20 @ 25
    • Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squat 3x10 @ 20

Could stand to increase weight on the chest press and the goblets. The complexes with the curl-presses are limited by my curls, embarrassingly enough. Should be able to bump these to 15, or at least I'd better try. Not getting much out of 2/3 of the complexes.

KB's, split squats, and even renegade rows!!! This looks like a fun set of supersets!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Well hello there!!

I couldn't find your challenge, then I found your last challenge and realized I never made it there... and then, and then, I came here and posted a terrible run on sentence of babble.

So hi!

tumblr_lx8vg2ivCn1qdq5u6.gif

You always know just what to gif. And also hi! And also welcome to the log! I hope to do more ranting soon for the amusement of all.

KB's, split squats, and even renegade rows!!! This looks like a fun set of supersets!

Totally! I like this routine. I like the [thing]-curl-press complexes because my overhead stuff needs work. Shamefully, so do my curls. I hear tell at the climbing gym that they help develop good lock out, but that smells like bro science to me. At any rate, yes. Heart this routine. Renegade rows make me feel like a badass (at least, when my form is solid and I'm not seriously rocking back and forth like some kind of hip-wobbling boat person.)

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Today: AGT

Warm up with the usual stuff, then circuits. With battle ropes. Fucking battle ropes. Anyway, writing it down so I don't forget. These were done at a pretty quick tempo, so this turned out to be a pretty lengthy met con session.

Twice through, 30 sec per station:

-Battle ropes with reverse lunges

-Rollbacks with medicine ball

-Kettlebell cleans (doubles)

-TRX rows

Twice through, 30 sec per station:

-Battle rope slams (fun!)

-Rollbacks with medicine ball to a balance-y sprawl thing, still with medicine ball (hard! and weird!)

-Kettlebell thrusters

-TRX rows

Twice through, 20 sec per station:

-Reindeer squats (these are absurd and there has to be another name for them)

-Rollbacks with med ball overhead toss

-Kettlebell swings (doubles)

Finished off with a bear squat/bear crawl quadburn clusterfuck. I'm just grateful it wasn't a ladder.

GF made fish for dinner. It was delicious. I'm on a solid resisting the candy jar streak. Haven't been hungry for breakfast lately. Here's hoping today's workout puts the met into met con. Gotta eat.

Battle Log

Okay, I give. What the hell are reindeer squats? I've done many a squat variation and none of them were referred to as reindeer squats. The best I can come up with is maybe prisoner squats since your hands are behind your head forming really bad antlers.

Finished off with a bear squat/bear crawl quadburn clusterfuck. I'm just grateful it wasn't a ladder.

That right there is just an outstanding description! See, that would be an exercise name I could get behind. I feel like I have an idea of what that is. :D

So, can you still walk today? Or better yet, get up and sit down without wincing in pain?

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Reindeer squats involve a few elements:

1. two-handed battle rope waves, as though encouraging a sleigh of reindeer to go much faster (ROM is not full extension, hands go from just below shoulder to the belly button or so),

2. squatting while the battle roping happens,

3. mocking AGT for the silly name of the exercise, and

4. wincing at delts the following morning.

Quads are a little stiff, but I hope that a gentle jog this evening will work out the developing DOMS.

Battle Log

Clearly Reindeer Squats are an event in the modern Reindeer Games.

Dude, I bet a ROHP sucks.

Today: slow 3 mile run-walk with a friend. She was super bashful about being slow, but I was just stoked to see her and get out into the park. It was a nice night for it and excellent to see her. Logged food on MFP. I'd like to try to do that a little more because it helps me to be mindful about what I'm eating. I also think I'm less inclined to eat out because it's harder to log that stuff.

I'm still off my meditation game. Will fit it in before bed tonight, but it's most helpful during the day.

My boss told me I might be moved back to trial rotation soon, which may mean a major shift in stress levels and the ability to work out any day of the week. We'll see what the future holds. It's not certain yet.

Battle Log

Isn't that true for OHP of any kind?

At least reindeer have better handles than baby giraffes.

Ha! Reindeer squats.  Nice job, AGT.  I love thematic silliness. (i do not love battling ropes)

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Dudes, why do I get sick so much? GNARLY sinus infection for the last week.

Anyway, meditated today. Gonna hit the gym tonight for a light-ish lifting session + sauna.

Battle Log

AGT gave me a TRX program a little while ago. Took it for a spin today. It's a good one!

Warm up w/10 reps each:

TRX squats

TRX hip hinge to high fly

TRX squat to high fly

I, Y, T w/ twist

Lateral lunges

Single leg hip hinge

Then 2-3 sets of 10 reps (only 2 sets today since I was pressed for time):

1a. Step presses

1b. Chest presses

2a. Squat-row (double set, first ten on a 2-count, second ten for speed)

2b. Plank

2c. Side bridges

2d. Crunches

3a. Row-chest fly-bicep curl

3b. Low lunges

3c. Mtn climber (20 reps)

4a. Atomic push-ups

4b. Single leg squats

5a. Sprawls

5b. Rows

Then Thanksgiving happened. I ate what I wanted and it was delicious.

Trying some new accountability tactics. If anyone else out there uses Beeminder, look me up. Same user name.

Battle Log

Went to yoga at the gym this morning, then stayed for a lifting session. Both with GF. That was lovely. The instructor was good and taught a nice, balanced class with a minimum of woo-woo crosstalk and self-flagellation.*

Worked through AGT's dumbbell program. I think I'm going to add more pulling. Pulling is lacking in this program, although the TRX program makes up for that somewhat. Anyway, today:

1a. Squat-curl-press 3x10 @ 15#

1b. Mountain climbers x 20

Fifteen is challenging on the curls, but I think I'll be able to move up again soon. Managed to finish all reps, and they'll probably start to feel easy in a bit.

2a. Rear lunge-curl-press 3x10 @ 10#

2b. Kettlebell swings 3x20 @ 20#

2c. DB bench press 10, 10, 4 @ 25#

Need to move this within the sequence so my arms aren't quite so smoked from all the damn curling. Curls are still the limiting factor for the complexes. Pleased with the chest press. Thinking of switching this to drop sets, like 10 at 25#, 8 at 30#, 6 @ whatever I can manage without smashing my face.

3a. Renegade row 3x10 @ 10

3b. DB step-ups 2x10 @ 15, 10 @ 25

Worked on form with the renegade rows. The 15# DBs that have weights with flat sides were AWOL, so no move-up in weight this time around. Nice to feel like I'm not Tippy McHipWobbles, though. Sometimes I'm not all that mindful of side-to-side movement with those renegades. Busy day at the gym overall, so weight availability was a little trying. Step-ups could have been heavier, but I was working with what I had until the 25s freed up. And what I had was round freaking 15s. It's cool, though. Everyone was really nice about sharing. It was just hella busy.

4a. Bulgarian split squats 3x10 @ 25#

4b. Incline DB bench 3x10 @ 20#

These were hard. I'd like to switch 'em to be the second set for a bit and see what I can do with these when I'm a little fresher.

Making salmon chowder. Instead of dairy and flour and whatnot, we're using blended cauliflower. And fish stock. GF is opening up to the idea of more animal products in her life. She's already on board with fish, but stock is a new concept. Homegirl needs her connective tissue support, so I hope she'll do chicken stock one day. Or bone broth, if you will. How is bone broth not the same as stock?

*The yoga class we attend has a rotation of instructors. There have been about six in total. There are two instructors we avoid. One does not seem to know what he's doing and appears to pull poses out of the air as he goes. His classes are hard because sometimes he'll just toss us into a a complex pose without working up to it. The other appears more knowledgeable, but spends the first ten minute of classes encouraging us to "wake up" certain parts of our body (face, neck, shoulders, chest, etc) by slapping/tapping/hitting them. This practice may have some merit to it, but I have no patience for it.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Those look like some fun workouts.  Get on with your bad self!

Everyday Paleo has a really yummy salmon chowder recipe.  I highly recommend sometime.  How'd the caulichowder come out? That sounds yummeh.

Also yeah. I don't understand why it's broth and not stock, or if it really is.  I do know, it's delicious.  We made some from leftover thanksgiving meat bones - bomb diggity, yo.

Renegade rows and salmon chowder...now that's a combination!!

Seeing all those TRX exercises makes my abs hurt. Good job!

Dec 2: Birthday (holy crap I'm 30) and climbing

Dec 3 - 7: Unexpectedly in the homeland due to death in the family.

Dec 8: AGT.

Battle Log

Sorry to hear of your loss. That always sucks.

30? Happy Birthday!! Although, I feel old now. :)

Oooh, let's have "Holy crap I'm 30" sessions! 

LN6atD3.jpghoney_boo_boo20.gif

Happy birthday! 

On a sadder note: I'm sorry about the death in the family.  Hope you and family are doing as well as can be expected.

I am in a bit of a hole with training. I'll just leave it there for now.

Climbed my first 5.10- a few weeks ago, but don't feel good in my body.

I know what works and doesn't work, but I'm still (still!) having trouble implementing. Motivating. I sincerely don't know why.

I'm going to jump on this challenge late, and hope that I can get something out of it. Something very basic. If I can hit one very small goal, that's a start.

Battle Log

YOU! Hi!  

I was just thinking about you the other day. Glad you're back.

I know what works and doesn't work, but I'm still (still!) having trouble implementing. Motivating. I sincerely don't know why.

I'm going to jump on this challenge late, and hope that I can get something out of it. Something very basic. If I can hit one very small goal, that's a start.

Good luck on the motivatin'! Success breeds success. Little things become big things. Seems like a good start to me.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'm kinda in the same motivation boat as you. I haven't updated anything on NF since March. Oddly, life is still about the same.

But you have inspired me to start a thread, or at least start updating my battle log.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk