I cannot begin to say how much I have enjoyed this site since I discovered it a couple days ago.

My story: I am a 31 (almost 32) Analyst for an insurance company. I am a bear of a man, though some old friends always joked Werewolf, due to my fascination with the beasts. I was never very active once I hit my late teens, though before then, I was a scout, and played football... however, even when I was active, I was always overweight.

I have been over 300 pounds since I was a junior in HS, and about 330 to 340 for the past 5 years or so.

About a year ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. My fiance and I looked at my weight, the fact that I was put on max metformin, and I was a hair's breadth from insulin.

So, I decided to go to the gym. But, I've tried that before. I hesitated in joining 24 hour, or Golds. Instead, about a dozen blocks away from my work, there was a Crossfit box. They offered me a free trial. I hurt for days after. But, damn, I had a bit of fun.

So, I joined. Then, they convinced me to try the Paleo diet. I haven't been the best at it, but I have dropped sodas and grains. I still eat some dairy from time to time, not enough veggies, and too many processed meats. I am moving more and more to a cleaner diet, but it's been a process, and not a perfect one.

However, between the Crossfit, and the diet, I've had a couple of things happen that have been milestones already.

In 6 months of this, my average blood sugar has gone from 260 to 100, and that's with no meds. In addition, I now weight about 295. It's a 35 pound weight loss for me, and the first time I have been under 300 since HS. I can do pushups for the first time in my life, and I can run a 400 without collpasing at the end.

So, this tells me I am on the right path, and to continue forward, but better. No excuses, more dedication. I have never felt this good before.

While reading some paleo bogs, I came across this site, which seems made for me. I play TT RPGs, wargames, video games and more. I tend to be a nerd in every sense of the word.

The idea of making myself into a character for purposes of health hadn't really occured to me (and yet, what role player worth their salt hasn't made themselves as a character at least once in a game?)

I suppose I fit the idea of a ranger in the direction I am curretly going, but I am more ogre than the powerful werewolf I crave to be.

So, here I am, saying hi, and joining for life.

P.S. Are there rules you guys use for making the character some of you have in your profiles? I did a quick search, but didn't come across any rules.

Ogre Ranger (1st Level)

Stats: (STR) - 3 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 2 (CON) - 3 (WIS) - 3 (CHA) - 3

Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also. -M.A.

Hey there, welcome to the Rebellion :)

Congratulations on your achievements so far, that's impressive stuff!

I found the challenge post from the current 6 week challenge, so I just quoted the whole thing. There's some stuff about the RPG aspect as well as the FAQ, and a bunch about the challenge, which I'm sure you'll be all over when the next one rolls around. Lol.

Best of luck!

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Welcome, Kveld! This might be cheesy, but I feel so happy for you!! :victorious: You're making great progress!! As for the Paleo thing, little changes over time can make big improvements (check out Steve's blog on that here). If you want to increase more vegetables, maybe give yourself a goal like trying 1 new vegetable every week or adding 1 vegetable for 1 meal a day or something. Then increase the goal and you'll be eating more veggies in no time. You can try the same thing for processed meats and the dairy if you want to go full Paleo someday.

Good luck! Keep us updated on your progress :)

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Thank you all for the welcome.

My problem with the paleo isn't that it's hard. It's more my limited funds and limited time. But more and more I am carving out an ability to drop the processed meats and get more veggies. As for dairy, cottage cheese and other cheeses - love them so damn much.

Lol.

Ogre Ranger (1st Level)

Stats: (STR) - 3 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 2 (CON) - 3 (WIS) - 3 (CHA) - 3

Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also. -M.A.

Thank you all for the welcome.

My problem with the paleo isn't that it's hard. It's more my limited funds and limited time. But more and more I am carving out an ability to drop the processed meats and get more veggies. As for dairy, cottage cheese and other cheeses - love them so damn much.

Lol.

I know it's a rough transition, at first, but I've found the switch to be enjoyable, and if I make my favorite chicken/veggie stir fry, and have absolutely NONE of the ingredients around the house, it's only about $20 and I can eat 3-4 meals. Generally supper that night, some leftovers with breakfast and for lunch as well. And possibly for supper again. The only difficult part is to get into the habit of cooking instead of stopping for some takeout on the way home.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.