• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

shiggles

Shoes and socks for lifting

Well I just finished writing up my woot about joining a powerlifting focused gym.

I had a good chat to the owner and coach about any gear I may need. I went in wearing 5fingers which he said were great for lifting. However they aren't so great for deadlifting simply because you can't wear the long socks with them to protect the shins from scrapes. Before I got my 5fingers I was lifting in an old pair of steel-cap boots that have a relatively solid sole and seemed to work for me - at least with what I was lifting.

But looking around most lifters and the coach were wearing Chuck Taylors and the coach did recommend them. And they do seem to be recommended pretty much everywhere else. So I have my eye on getting a pair. But, are they worth it considering what I already have?

Also, if I did want to stick with the 5fingers for deadlifts can anyone recommend a way to protect the shins? I am considering just chopping off the foot part from a pair of footy socks and see how that works.

I've already ordered a few pairs of long footy socks since I couldn't find any in the local department store.

Hey shiggles!

I wear VFFs when deadlifting all the time and take pride in my shin bruises. :) They do make toe socks that cover the shins but I am not a fan of toe socks (don't know why, they just feel odd). Taking an old pair of socks and ccutting off the foot to make leg warmers isn't a bad idea if you are worried about bruises.

You could always just focus on not hitting your shins too :)

Chucks are great for lifting as they are cheap, flat, and last forever. Oh and stylish. Very stylish.

Get some old business shoes. Hit up a Salvos if you don't have any. They don't have soles that will compress and long black socks would be perfectly acceptable. Haha.

I wear chucks to the gym and i love them. i used to DL and squat in long socks but made the switch and like the feel of chucks compared to socks or sneakers. Rocker mentioned shin guards, but they actually make these tube sock type of things that go over your calf and shin but not feet to help keep the shinguard in place and that would probably due to the trick.

OP, I don't know where you live, but you can get Chucks and knee socks at Target in most places for a fraction of the cost of getting them online. Knee socks online from a CrossFit or lifting site will cost you $10 or $12 per pair. This is crazytalk to me - they're like $2.50 a pair at Target. If you want obnoxious colors or kittens and rainbows, Target has that. Solid black? Target has that. Bacon? Well, not so much. Target also sells Chucks in about a dozen colors.

One thing I found helped was to lift in sweat pants. That way you do not need long socks, plus it kept my legs warmed up inbetween sets. Depending on what other activities you are doing, this may not be an option though.

Shin guards for soccer would be good too, on most you can remove the thick padding leaving only the sock material. They also have a band that goes under your heel which will prevent the deadlift from pulling them up on you which may be an issue with leg warmers.

Pants work fine, unless you're lifting in an un-airconditioned gym in July. Even here in Minnesota, that can be quite uncomfortable. ;) I actually don't even like wearing long socks in that situation, because they tend to be so thick and then my feet and legs get too hot. The leg sleeves are a nice compromise because they are a little cooler, and I can wear lighter socks with them. But otherwise I'll wear pants, outside of lifting in the summer.

I second just cutting the feet off soccer socks. Personally I wouldn't even go that far, I'd just put them on right over my Vibrams, no cutting. I lift in Vibrams instead of Chucks now because I can also run in vibrams and don't need to switch footwear. I also have poor form at the bottom of my deadlift and don't hit my shin, staying about a 1/2 inch to an inch away.

Edited by CoreyD
typos, what else?

I also have poor form at the bottom of my deadlift and don't hit my shin, staying about a 1/2 inch to an inch away.

Stop it! the further you have the bar from your body the bigger the load on your spinal erectors. Either bloody that shin or get some socks (:

I also have poor form at the bottom of my deadlift and don't hit my shin, staying about a 1/2 inch to an inch away.

I'm kinda the same, but wouldn't say I keep it a certain distance from my shins. I occasionally hit them, but it's rare. I do avoid scraping the bar all the way up them for sure.

Stop it! the further you have the bar from your body the bigger the load on your spinal erectors. Either bloody that shin or get some socks (:

I don't see the need to bloody the shins up. My bottom position will start with the shins touching the bar, but it is very rare that I will scrape my shins with the bar so hard that it causes much damage. I have the occasional bruise, cut, etc....but like I said, it's rare.

I'm kinda the same, but wouldn't say I keep it a certain distance from my shins. I occasionally hit them, but it's rare. I do avoid scraping the bar all the way up them for sure.

I don't see the need to bloody the shins up. My bottom position will start with the shins touching the bar, but it is very rare that I will scrape my shins with the bar so hard that it causes much damage. I have the occasional bruise, cut, etc....but like I said, it's rare.

It depends.

If you lift sumo (like I do) the chances of getting skin scrapes and cuts are higher.

If you are pulling correctly with out socks you SHOULD be scrapping the crap out of your shins, it hurts but you'll be doing it right. If you don't care about macho scars on your shins cover up.

Trad is right. The closer it is the better, leverage and all. I have a pretty narrow stance and miss the knurling, so no scraping.

Lucky. My stance covers the knruling and my legs look like someone took a baseball bat to my shins. I love my scars.