Paleo- Noob - Assistance ! Vegetarian whole life going paleo!

Vinasius

Hey guys,

hope all is well with you all, I'm new to these forums and due to a certain health condition, I've decided to go Paleo, the challenge I am facing is that Ive been a vegetarian my whole life and now to go paleo it seems a bit challenging. I am considering eating meat if it is going to improve my health. Just that I'm not used to it as such I have a few questions I wish you could help me with.

Can we eat potatoes? fruits? Can someone direct me to a link where I can get some great paleo recipes. In fact can someone please asssit me with any links or reading material to help me get started on this journey.Greatly appreciated.

Vin

6a0120a7fffe30970b0167605266fd970b-500wi

This is somewhat simplified, but it's 100% good information, and it's handy, especially as you're starting out. As long as you're not aiming to lose huge amounts of weight (or go into ketosis {an accelerated fat-burning state}), potatoes and fruits are totally on the menu.

Do eat:

• Meats (all of them)
  • Plants (all of them)
  • Healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil)
  • Nuts
  • Fruit

Don't eat:

• Grains (wheat, oatmeal)
  • Refined sugars
  • Artificial additives/preservatives (nitrites/nitrates, things you can't pronouce)

There are some grey areas (dairy in particular) that some "paleo" eaters allow and some don't. I'd recommend going for 30 days on "strict" paleo—no cheats, following the chart—and then experiment adding some things back in.

Mark's Daily Apple is one of my favorite paleo blogs. Mark's articles are informative and accessible, citing real studies and providing good information. Oh, and he's written about almost everything under the sun that you'd be wondering about when you start. Search it and it's there.

PaleoHacks is a great site if you have any really specific questions. There are a lot of smart people on there (and a fair amount of paleo zealots), and it can be a great resource.

Everyday Paleo has some great recipes—it's been a go-to for me lately.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Thanks for the information, it will help greatly, over the last few days I had conducted a food allergy test and would you guess what the doctors found out when they conducted a blood test on myself.

I have something called Pan-Plant allergies. Basically I'm allergic to all things plant except leafy vegetables! No wonder i've been screwed over and having significant health problems while young, as a vegetarian.

I cant even eat rice, wheat, and only certain kinds of fruits, (no citrus etc except grape) no nuts at all, etc, no seeds...

it's a very rare case according to my doctors, that being said I think paleo is then the way forward.

That's exceptionally rare. Have you seen a properly qualified allergenist? Not just a naturopath or GP? Just checking, because there's some very dodgy "allergy tests" out there.

Well the doctor I saw was the top allerginist in the country and I did get a secondary test done for a second opinion and the results were the same from a different allergenist. My Ige levels are 5000> when most people are around the 250 mark. It seems in all his years of experience he's seen very few of my type of cases and it is a fairly pitiful condition. That being said it's something I guess I have to live with and make do as best I can.

Hey guys,

hope all is well with you all, I'm new to these forums and due to a certain health condition, I've decided to go Paleo, the challenge I am facing is that Ive been a vegetarian my whole life and now to go paleo it seems a bit challenging. I am considering eating meat if it is going to improve my health. Just that I'm not used to it as such I have a few questions I wish you could help me with.

Can we eat potatoes? fruits? Can someone direct me to a link where I can get some great paleo recipes. In fact can someone please asssit me with any links or reading material to help me get started on this journey.Greatly appreciated.

Fruits are totally acceptable on paleo. Some paleo "purists" will argue that potatoes aren't technically paleo, but some people with a less strict interpretation of the paleo diet eat them. (Some people react to the solanine in potatoes). If you want to eat potatoes, my recommendation would be to peel them/don't eat the skin, as most of the things in potatoes that could cause any sort of reaction are in the skin.

Regarding Potatoes and solanine(from Wikipedia):

When potato tubers are exposed to light, they turn green and increase glycoalkaloid production. This is a natural defense to help prevent the uncovered tuber from being eaten. The green colour is from chlorophyll, and is itself harmless. However, it is an indication that increased level of solanine and chaconine may be present.

Some diseases, such as late blight, can dramatically increase the levels of glycoalkaloids present in potatoes. Mechanically damaged potatoes also produce increased levels of glycoalkaloids. This is believed to be a natural reaction of the plant in response to disease and damage.

In potato tubers, 30–80% of the solanine develops in and close to the skin.

Showing green under the skin strongly suggests solanine build-up in potatoes, although each process can occur without the other. A bitter taste in a potato is another, potentially more reliable indicator of toxicity. Because of the bitter taste and appearance of such potatoes, solanine poisoning is rare outside conditions of food shortage. The symptoms are mainly vomiting and diarrhea, and the condition may be misdiagnosed as gastroenteritis. Most potato poisoning victims recover fully, although fatalities are known, especially when victims are undernourished or do not receive suitable treatment.[5] Fatalities are also known from solanine poisoning from other plants in the nightshade family, such as the berries of Solanum dulcamara (woody nightshade).[6]

The United States National Institutes of Health's information on solanine says to never eat potatoes that are green below the skin.

Short version: you will have to evaluate whether your body handles potatoes well or not. Most likely by peeling the potato you're removing a significant percentage of the solanine. But if you have a plant allergy, potatoes may very well be problematic.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

My husband and I have been followers of Mark's Daily Apple for 3 1/2 years now. Check out the Primal 101 page, and don't be afraid to search the archives and the forums for specifics. I definitely recommend MDA as a resource. :)

Level 1 Hylian Ranger
| STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3 |

Fitocracy

Current Challenge:

Reset. Time to save the princess. Again.

Dúnedain Team

I'm technically pescatarian, used to be vegetarian - just wanted to wish you luck! I think I could handle red meat (organic, grass-fed, ethically grown and slaughtered - is that even a thing?) but the thing that freaks me out the most is chicken. Raw chicken makes me want to hurl!

My advice would be to start with eggs and fish (salmon is my absolute favourite!) and then work your way up. Don't push yourself. Nothing wrong with some tempeh every now and then ;)

Anyway...good luck!! :eagerness:

I think I could handle red meat (organic, grass-fed, ethically grown and slaughtered - is that even a thing?)

We're all of that except organic. I give my sheep dewormer and vaccinations, that makes it not organic in the US but organic everywhere else.

All of my meat has a name and I know all the animals as individuals. SOme people are freaked out by that but I think it's a good thing.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1