Hello all,

I figured that it was time to actually join the ranks as I've been living the NF regime for a little while now. I started my fitness journey in February by counting calories and hitting the cardio pretty hard (sound familiar anyone?). And then something happened - I found Spezzy's NF posting and, to be honest, it changed my entire perspective on working out. I cut my cardio time down a bit and started using the free weights. I ended up hiring a trainer, because I was clueless, and worked with her for three months. During that time I was still counting calories and feeling deprived. It wasn't because I didn't eat enough, I was just sick of eating cottage cheese/ greek yogurt/ chicken breast. Everyday. So, my training is done and I'm feeling ready/excited to be in charge of my own fitness.

I cut out any machine-work from my routines and started eating Paleo roughly a week ago. I'm still not *completely* sold on eating this way, because I feel like I'm sweating out bacon grease, but the scale is making me happy. So we'll see how the body reacts once the sugar-addiction has worn off. I can't afford organic meat at the moment, but I try as best I can to follow the other guidelines. Tell ya what.. the boyfriend's happy about the increase in dinner meat. LOL.

I started (in February) at 165. Currently, as of today, I'm at 143. While training I lost 5% body fat - which is the number I'd like to go by, but since I no longer train there's no more access to the nifty tool that gauges it. My legs needed a lot of work, I was almost incapable of doing a standing lunge - they're much stronger now but could still use some work. Long-term goals are: perfect squats (mine are TERRIBLE) and the ability to do a pull-up and a (better) push-up. And you know, it would be pretty awesome to dead-lift something heavier than me.

So, I look forward to being an active member from here on out.. now that I'm on my own, I'll need all of the help that I can get!

Stacee

Would-be Hylian Ranger 

Current Challenge
"The Wind... it is blowing..." -Ganon

Best of luck and welcome. In my experience you have to give paleo a little time. For me it didn't feel right at first either, but after a few weeks with regular workouts it has been treating me great. I have been dropping weight like a beast too. :topsy_turvy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Lycan Ranger

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3 |

|Fitocracy | My Current Challenge

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. — Winston Churchill

Man, your first few sentences sound exactly like where I am right now! I've been on the counting calories/cardio bandwagon and lost a bunch of weight, but didn't gain any strength. After reading Spezzy's story yesterday, I pretty much had the same reaction as you! That's awesome that the free weights and trainer have been working so great for you - I probably won't be getting a personal trainer, but it's so encouraging to see that weight training is working out for so many people on here.

Good luck with reaching your goals! I'm excited to see your progress, especially since we have a similar background but you're a few months ahead of me. =)

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

My legs needed a lot of work, I was almost incapable of doing a standing lunge - they're much stronger now but could still use some work. Long-term goals are: perfect squats (mine are TERRIBLE) and the ability to do a pull-up and a (better) push-up.

Hi, Stacee! Youtube videos are great for learning better form, if they're from a good source. I often view several videos to get a feel for the right techniques. Steve has these blog posts on the following exercises that might be helpful to you too:

Squats

Pull-ups

Push-ups

As for lunges, have you tried using a chair for balance, or doing a few of them as reverse lunges (they look like

if you're not familiar with them)?

Good luck! :)

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Thanks for the tools D! I have just recently seen the pull-ups post and was working on doing a few of those exercises the other day. Those reverse lunges are nice too.. I enjoy all of the routines that I can do while not at the gym, that place gets boring after awhile!

Stacee

Would-be Hylian Ranger 

Current Challenge
"The Wind... it is blowing..." -Ganon