• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

realbrickwall

Beans and Paleo

First, yes, I know that you're not allowed by the letter of the diet. That much is easy.

However, I work at a Mexican restaurant, and I get one free meal there a day. Adding beans is what changes it from 600 calories to more like 900.

So, what do you guys think? Should I drop the beans and hope for the best, or can I stick with them? I do want to lose my gut, but I don't want to be calorie-deprived at work. What say you?

I would drop them-for me they are a total gut irritant and make me super bloated

. Are you able to add more ground meat? if not that, can you get some extra veggies or a salad?

Edited by IrishPirate

Drop them. Double up your meat to make the rest of the calories. Or add guacamole.

600 calories isn't bad for one meal depending on your goals. You say you want to lose your gut?

3 meals a day at 600 calories is 1800. If you're exercising, that might not be a bad place to start to lose some weight.

Alright, I will be dropping the beans, and maybe getting triple meat instead of double (which I already get; that's how I get it to 600) if I find I start having issues. Thanks, guys!

Also, I would totally get guacamole if I didn't find it tasted disgusting. It's like fat-flavored vomit to me. I don't know why.

Try making your own, so you know what's in it. For me, I don't like it plain, I put in lemon juice, cilantro, red onions, and jalapenos.

Recipe I use:[ATTACH=CONFIG]4654[/ATTACH]

post-4716-13567244466035_thumb.jpg

Quac on everything! :)

/\ this!

We have a grocery that makes it fresh and uses the freshest ingredients....but I haven't learned to put it ON everything.

I'm still trying to get my head around the problem with beans....but having just been told to double up my eggs....I guess I'll have to double up my meat....

Try making your own, so you know what's in it. For me, I don't like it plain, I put in lemon juice, cilantro, red onions, and jalapenos.

Recipe I use:[ATTACH=CONFIG]4654[/ATTACH]

The other ingredients are hardly the issue. I make the guacamole at my workplace sometimes (ingredients: avocados, salt, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, citrus juice). The issue is the avocados themselves taste bad to me.

But, hey, I can get as much meat as I want, so I'll live.

The other ingredients are hardly the issue. I make the guacamole at my workplace sometimes (ingredients: avocados, salt, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, citrus juice). The issue is the avocados themselves taste bad to me.

But, hey, I can get as much meat as I want, so I'll live.

I totally get you. 100% agree. Avocados are weird.

First, yes, I know that you're not allowed by the letter of the diet. That much is easy.

However, I work at a Mexican restaurant, and I get one free meal there a day. Adding beans is what changes it from 600 calories to more like 900.

So, what do you guys think? Should I drop the beans and hope for the best, or can I stick with them? I do want to lose my gut, but I don't want to be calorie-deprived at work. What say you?

If you're trying to lose weight, 600 calories is not bad for lunch. Any way you can add some fat in place of the beans?

A little off topic, but I have always been curious about the way beans are cooked here in the States? I'm from Mexico, and yes, beans are staple food, but we soak them at least overnight (my grandma would two 24 hrs, two washes of lukewarm water) and then cook them in the crock pot for at least another twelve hours (with lots of herbs, particularly this*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphania_ambrosioides)

How different is this from those who cook beans? I do believe that all this process does reduce (not eliminate) some of the problems with eating beans. I have reduced my consumption to a minimum, but every once in a while I think of home and cook a batch, that lasts FOREVER since I eat so little now.*

Curious about paleo and the science behind it. Anyone have any links or citations to the lectin content of beans before and after cooking or the inflammatory effects of lectin in vivo?

Plants produce a lot of nasty secondary compounds to avoid being eaten, but cooking and fermentation can go a long way towards denaturing those proteins.

Beans aren't paleo, because in its purest form it is basically poison for your body. I would cut them out...

I'm new to the concept of Paleo... can you explain?

Beans aren't paleo, because in its purest form it is basically poison for your body. I would cut them out...
I'm new to the concept of Paleo... can you explain?
Lectins and phytic acid.

http://www.quora.com/Paleo-Diet/Why-are-beans-not-Paleo-friendly

You have to soak, grind, or do something to its rawest form to be consumable. Green beans are okay, as they can be consumed in its raw state. I actually never ate beans with the exception of the occasional chili before discovering paleo, so I don't really miss them. I think they're okay every now and then.